User Reviews for Dutasteride

Also known as: Avodart

Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia 6.9

Reviews for Dutasteride

Rick · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 25, 2020

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: “Wouldn’t recommend dutasteride as it effects sex response and this effect remains with me after stopping the drug. Pity my prescriber didn’t mention this.”

joe · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 22, 2020

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: “I've been on dutasteride for two years now for benign prostatic hyperplasia. It is a miracle for the prostate. I can sleep through the whole night now, and most of all avoid surgery. My wife and I expected a little dip in libido, so she takes a little more time getting things going. Only real complaint is when I'm not erect my penis retracts into my body now, where it used to hang down a couple inches. My wife pointed it out to me during foreplay. My urologist says, she's seen this many times and there's nothing to worry about. I don't like urinating sitting, and I'm a little embarrassed during foreplay, but we try to have a sense of humour about it.”

Tom May 5, 2020

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: “Have been on this medication dutasteride for a little under a year and my PSA went from 15 down to 6. My problem is that the new generic brand I was just given is giving me headaches and shortness of breath. I was told it's not the drug itself but what is used to compound the medication. I started taking the medication ever second day the but the end of the second day I am back to normal. My urologist told me to work with my pharmacy to try to get the medication from the prior company but they are not making this medication any longer. Be careful with the generics out there.”

bob johnson · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 28, 2020

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: “dutasteride is awesome! been using it for 2 years. prostate is tiny now. hairline is growing back, body hair is reduced, although I didn't have that much before. Sexual side effect, semen volume is definitely reduced, however no problems with erection or orgasm when I have a stimulating subject”

Concerned daughter · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 9, 2020

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: “My father was on this medication as well as flomax for a couple months, at best. Within days of him taking these, he had complaints of lost of taste. His appetite diminished, and he lost about 30 pounds. His primary care doctor recommended cutting out the Flomax which did not change anything. Next, we cut out Advodart and he's slowly (very slowly) starting to taste certain items again. The urologist gave us the "in 20 years of prescribing this medication, I've never heard of that", and basically that it was not the cause, merely a coincidence. I understand half lives and that the medication 'should' be out of his system within days, but it's only common sense that not everyone's body is going to react the same. I'm looking for a new urologist to say the least.”

Ali · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 31, 2019

Avodart (dutasteride): “It caused me to have really big acne blisters on right above my cheekbones (a little towards the ears side). And this would happen every third day I took the avodart 0.5 pill (I started it with once a week). I left it for a few weeks to see if it really was the avodart which was causing this reaction. And no new pimples or blisters. And when I tried that again a month later the same happened. So that confirmed that avodart was indeed the cause. It gave me a few tiny acne scars too =(”

PEIGuy · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 18, 2019

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: “I have found Avodart highly effective at treating symptoms of my enlarged prostate but it is a long term drug. It took me about 2 months to start seeing an improvement in my bph symptoms and I really noticed major improvement by month 5. So I’m glad I stuck to my doctor’s advice to give it time. She also went over the side effects very carefully with me noting it can be a good drug for some men and a poor drug for others. What discourages a lot of men is that while the beneficial take months the side effects hit you after a few days. A reduction in sexual interest will happen. You need to consider that ahead of time before going on it. If you currently enjoy a good sex life you should avoid this drug if possible. But if you are in a sexless marriage like me- fairly common by the bph age, then maybe the side effects are welcome. In my case my wife is in menopause and I like my decreased desire.”

Roly · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 29, 2019

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: “Aside from side effects reported by others, I've experienced, from several years of use, two further side effects that should be of great concern to doctors: One was a heart arrhythmia that was severe enough to warrant being sent to a cardiologist who prescribed unnecessary statin drugs. And the final straw was a complete loss of taste and smell. Only after refusing to take any drugs whatever for six months did I discover that dutasteride (Avodart) was responsible. I have not fully regained my taste and smell and may never due to nerve damage!”

John · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 14, 2019

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: “This dutasteride rubbish completely and permanently destroyed my sex life!!?!”

chucky · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 24, 2019

Avodart (dutasteride) for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: “Why do doctors keep prescribing this medication when there are other alternatives. I was ON dutasteride for 2 months & I fainted twice, 6 hours after taking the tablets the second time I hit my head when I fell I have had constant nose bleeds, swollen lips, mouth ulcers, swollen painful testicles, dry moth & constant ringing in the left ear. This medicine should be banned as there are other better alternatives without the side effects”

SHARK · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 18, 2019

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: “Been taking Duodart 500mg for a month now, for benign prostatic enlargement. No great change to urine frequency, still four times a night. Side effects, erection problems and low semen, and non event orgasms. Also gas build up in stomach and indigestion and reflux. Will trial for six months only.”

Bill · Taken for less than 1 month October 23, 2018

Avodart (dutasteride) for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: “I have been taking avodart for a week now, and have noticed the definite benefit of not having to urinate as often with a stronger flow. No side effects apart from a some initial dizziness after getting up too quickly.”

Leo October 23, 2018

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: “Use this for hair. Hair loss has stopped and hair looks thicker. Amazing !”

Michael · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 14, 2018

Avodart (dutasteride) for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: “Destroyed my penis. Destroyed my self- confidence. Destroyed my wife's happiness. How come these people have not found a safe way to reduce the prostate. ”

lownacldiet · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 8, 2017

Avodart (dutasteride) for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: “Been on Avodart for 2 years now, have been on Testosterone Replacement for 15 years, have seen a gradual improvement with urinary tract symptoms, (difficulty urinating, low flow, trouble starting). Continue to have prostitis, pelvic pain, dribbling. Avodart symptoms, no libido, erectile dysfunction, loss of penile sensation, low semen flow, depression (when I first started medication). Used to have High Libido but now have No Libido. Thank Goodness for understanding SO with a "Hands on Approach". 60 years old.”

Dr. Vinod December 17, 2016

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: “I have been taking this for more than six months. No side effects. Have all the positive effects like the prostate size has reduced, thinning of hair reduced, rather it seems new hair have grown. ( it is the comment of my barber)”

Nick187 October 13, 2016

Avodart (dutasteride) for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: “Urologist was hesitant to put me on this because my young age. He did. First two months were rough. Decreased energy and sex drive.After this my testosterone levels actually sky rocketed and I got muscular and lost body fat and sex drive went into hyper drive.Hair regrowth was minimal but body hair was drastically decreased. Oh and my prostate shrunk drastically and my PSA is below 1 (0.9).I was put on this after floxmax didn't work to fully evacuate my bladder . My BPH was causing bladder void incompleteness which caused UTI. It took Avodart 2 mths. to stop this where many medications failed.”

Randall Jay September 8, 2016

Avodart (dutasteride) for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: “Been taking Flomax and Avodart together for about 18 months. They work very well (no more frequent urination unless I drink 2 large teas or coffees) and no side effects whatsoever so far (other than "reverse ejaculation" from the Flomax which is actually a bonus).”

jpozenel October 21, 2015

Avodart (dutasteride) for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: “In eight months my PSA went from 11.2 to 5.0, to 3.8. I was taking it late in the evening and felt terrible muscle and joint pain throughout the night. If I take it about noon and drink plenty of coffee and water, the nighttime pain goes away. I really don't feel it during the day when I'm active. I guess that when I take it at night it stays more concentrated and doesn't get out of my system. I'm getting some thickening of hair at the back of my head, though not drastically thick. It definitely reduces your sex drive. Orgasms can still be felt but not as intense with very little if any semen production. I also take Flomax twice a day. I'm sleeping much better now with far less frequent trips to the bathroom.”

Scott F · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 3, 2015

Avodart (dutasteride) for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: “I've taken Avodart for several years. It sometimes worked better than other times. The side effects are terrible. Less than a month ago, I decided to try a natural formula and found many available. I decided to try Urinozinc Prostate Formula because of the high ratings. Within a week, I stopped taking Avodart. I'm back to normal...like I was years ago. I won't ever be taking Avodart again.”

ISSAC N K · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 13, 2015

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: “I am getting drowsiness no mood to work”

Helmut Harnisch · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 15, 2014

Avodart (dutasteride) for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: “After 15 years of Prostate Problems many Biopsies. PSA 139 had acute Urinary Retention and Catherised (not getting Catheter in, bleeding. Put on Duodart slight Improvement, nocturnal from ten times to about 4 to 5 times, very dizzy.”

66 year old · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 27, 2013

Avodart (dutasteride) for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: “I have been on this for 2 years. It has shrunk my enlarged prostate so I no longer have discomfort, and I urinate a little less often at night. Most importantly, I am able to postpone prostate reduction surgery. Sexual side effects same as others have noted. Now developing some breast tenderness. I take this with an alpha blocker as well.”

Slimjim joe · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 25, 2013

Avodart (dutasteride) for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: “Been on Avodart for 3 months now. 0.5mg a day. Don't have to urinate as often. Have regrown almost a full head of hair. Libido and ejaculation are still in working order. Although I take an aromatose inhibitor to help combat having low DHT and high estrogen. For those who have libido issues this may be the culprit as DHT is known to help regulate estrogen in men. Having little DHT will result in an increase of estrogen and low sex drive.”

paul2013 January 23, 2013

Avodart (dutasteride) for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: “No change in PSA (still around 4) - sleep through the night though. No erectile dysfunction though however, cannot climax.”