User Reviews for Terazosin

Also known as: Hytrin

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Terazosin.

Hyperhidrosis
8.3

High Blood Pressure
6.9

Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia
6.7

Summary of Terazosin reviews 7.3 33 reviews

Reviews for Terazosin

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "I was put on this for IC -- Interstitial Cystitis. I had been taking Ditropan, but was still having symptoms even after adjusting my diet, so my Urologist tried adding Hytrin, and the combination really worked for me. I took these for several years, and finally was able to wean myself off both medications and with following a strict diet, I am mostly symptom-free. I feel that it was the two drugs that allowed my bladder to finally stop spasming, and kind of "reset". This drug was literally a life-saver."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hyperhidrosis: "Also take for extreme facial sweating resulting as a side effect of antidepressants. Been taking for years after searching for relief and finding online article mentioning study of terasozin for this purpose. Sometimes works well in sweat reduction, sometimes not at all, but better than nothing. Tried drysol topical but my skin is too sensitive. Curious what mg dosage others take. I take 2mg x 2 after driving into work as I think it contributes to dizziness, likely along with other meds."

Anon00 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Been on terazosin for 3 months for blood pressure. My blood pressure went from 165/95 to 220/125. I also take a beta blocker, spirolactone and coversyl. Did the opposite of what it was supposed to do. Felt nauseous the entire time and almost fainted numerous times. This drug had the adverse reaction for me and was a very difficult 3 months. I'm back on amlodimine and my blood pressure has returned to normal. Anyone else with similar experience?"

Sally67 April 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "I have seen zero effects after 7 weeks of 1mg nightly dosage. I've read where this should be having a noticeable effect between 2-4 weeks, but still have extremely weak flow and incomplete bladder emptying."

JeffinID December 26, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "Since I started taking terazosin, my night time trips to urinate have dropped to once or twice, from three to six."

Poppy835 (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 6, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Terazosin helped with BP but the one big side effect I had was that it literally made my entire body hurt. Both shoulders and arms hurt so bad, I could not lift either arm without pain. I have been off Terazosin for 5 days now and am getting better by the day."

Jeff from New York November 19, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Hytrin (terazosin) for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "I have been on Hytrin for at last 20 years. Started at 1 mg. daily. It helped my flow immediately. Now at the age of 84 I am on 15 mg. It still works pretty well. I have occasionally had episodes of low blood pressure leading to dizziness but I'm not sure whether that it from Hytrin or other blood pressure medicine I take. My blood pressure seems to fluctuate a lot. Again, I don't know the cause(s)."

Chazuu May 16, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "I was taking 1mg of Doxazosin, for about a year, for my urine stream. I went off this and went to Terazosin, when the Doxazosin became unavailable. Taking 1mg of Terazosin, for 3 months worked very well, a strong urine stream and sexual functions were improved, the best in a few years. Then the product became unavailable an was put on 0.4 mg of Tamsulosin, within 15 days my urine stream and sexual functions reverted back to 4 months prior. I complained to my doctor and found another pharmacy selling Terazosin. I have been on the pill for 3 days and waiting for the product to adjust to previous levels. Remember if it works, don't change, you'll be disappointed."

Frank 57 yrs old (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Causes frequent nightime urination."

ugauga March 1, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "After using this for about 2 months: 1. rate of urine flow increased 2. the bladder appeared to be emptied completely 3. frequency of urination decreased"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 13, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Hytrin (terazosin) for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "I have been taking this for night trips to the bathroom . Started a 3mg 2 years ago and just started slowly increasing to 10mg. I stopped taking due to the side effects of rapid pounding heart beat, chest pains, dizziness, no real change in sexual functions which is good thing. Not a big change in night trips to the bathroom. Off to the Doctor today."

T/R November 27, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "I've taken this for about nine years now. I went from 2mg. per day at the start, to 5mg per day two years ago. It really works for me. If I miss the evening dose, I notice decreased flow about twelve hours later. That's a huge motivation, so I rarely miss a dose. No noticeable side effects."

Hammerdog47 October 8, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Hytrin (terazosin) for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "Would not quit this medicine, it helps immensely."

Tommydix (taken for 10 years or more) May 18, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hyperhidrosis: "I took Terazosin for hyperhidrosis induced by Clomipramine . It was very helpful for my problem ."

Anonymous May 15, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Hytrin (terazosin) for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "Using 10 mg/night for the last two months - it works okay but side effects include low libido, and a very noticeable reduction in endurance and muscle strength. As a distance runner - age 50 my performance is severely impacted running and in bed. Going to ask my Doctor to try something else."

Anonymous March 27, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "My mouse wouldn't click the bar. Give it a 10. Worked very well. Also lowered my blood pressure."

sailpanther February 13, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "Terazosin controls my somewhat high blood pressure and moderately improves my benign prostatic hyperplasia symptoms at 5mg, 3X/day. I have found that just missing one dose (after 8-10 hrs after last dose) reduces urinary flow rate, but still a bit above flow before taking this medicine. I am not experiencing any significant side effects, unless I take terazosin in conjunction with muscle relaxant for arthritis pain in back and neck pain. Then I have experienced some dizziness and low blood pressure. I have read that it may take a couple of months before full effects on urinary symptoms occur. I have been taking terazosin for about 1-1/2 months at this dosage with little difference in the past month in flow. I previously tried doxazosin and tamsulosin with allergic side effects."

dockc August 22, 2011

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "It worked quite well at 1 mg a night for 3 years helping me urinate like a real man until 6 months ago when my flow rate began decreasing and the symptoms of urinary retention started reappearing. We increased the dosage to 2 mg and I was back to normal. Then the troubles urinating re-emerged and doctor upped it to 4 mg a night 3 weeks ago. Again I saw immediate improvement but over the weekend I've gone back to long bathroom struggles getting anything out. Am now awaiting the scheduling of a urodynamic study to get to the bottom of this."

Anonymous August 22, 2011

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Hytrin (terazosin) for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "I am 50yo and was on 1-4mg Hytrin for 7 months for urinary retention and disliked it. It barely made a dent in my symptoms, and made me tired and fatigued - muscles always felt weak, was frequently irritable and interfered with my sleep. Took forever to build up to 4mg. However, I still had a libido with few sexual side effect, which was a very nice surprise. Recommend trying it to see if it works even though it's one of the older alpha-blockers."

Good Luck! August 20, 2011

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Hytrin (terazosin) for High Blood Pressure: "Well I have blood pressure that is normally high, but sometimes normal. I have only been on Hytrin for a few days. The first day it made me very dizzy and fill very bad. My blood pleasure went from an average of 160's/90's to 110's/60's. I am only on 1 mg. I only have been taking a 1/2 a mg since the first day."

dt1401 May 14, 2010

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Works well for blood pressure, even better for Benign Prostate Hyperplasia. I seldom have to get up during the night to use bathroom, best sleep I have had in years. Only problem that I have noticed is a lack of energy during the day."

Anonymous December 17, 2009

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Hytrin (terazosin) for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "Working well for me and I have had no side effects. I did reduce my other blood pressure medication."

Anonymous October 1, 2009

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "Had big problem urinating due to benign prostatic hyperplasia. Hard to start, pee, stop, pee a little more, etc. Often had pain. Tried Flomax for 30 days. No help. Given terazosin, works very well. Have increased dosage twice. Well pleased."

Bob G. September 20, 2009

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Hytrin (terazosin) for Hyperhidrosis: "Works great! It has stopped the extreme sweating that was occurring from a side effect of Effexor. Anyone who is taking Effexor and have severe sweating problems this medication works great."

Anonymous September 7, 2009

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Hytrin (terazosin) for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "Have been using Hytrin for 8 or 9 years. Started on 5 mg, now taking 7mg every night. Get up once during the night in order to urinate. Flow strong. On the few times I forgot to take it. I could see a greatly reduced flow the next day. My PSA was never high. Now 1.1"

Anonymous July 21, 2009