User Reviews for Terazosin to treat Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia

Also known as: Hytrin

Terazosin Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 49 medications used in the treatment of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia.

Reviews for Terazosin

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 26, 2020

“I started terazosin at 2mg, went to 5 mg, as it was losing effectiveness. Stayed with 5mg for about three years. Am currently taking 10mg . I’ve had some minor side effects such as a rash on my back, nasal stuffiness. Main problem is drowsiness, after I wake up in the morning and lasting sometimes until 10-11 AM. I’m going to ask my doctor if we can decrease to about 7 mg , to see if that helps with the drowsiness problem. Otherwise.... it works well with my urinating flow, and frequency problem .”

TD101 January 27, 2020

“This was the 4th medication I tried for BPH, which had me getting up several times throughout the night. We started with 1mg, which had no effect. Bumping it to 5mg did the trick and I know get up only twice and am sleeping much better. I’ve also noticed an improvement in urinary flow. No side effects either.”

Cems · Taken for 10 years or more October 5, 2019

“I have taken Terazosin (Hytrin) for more than 15 years to improve my urine flow due to a mild increase in my prostate. If I go more than three days without the drug, my urine flow suffers, which has happen on several occasions.”

JJ · Taken for less than 1 month August 30, 2018

“I had a terrible experience with Terazosin... though it worked quickly for my BPH, the side effects were alarming enough to send me to emergency... SUPER rapid heart rate, nausea and stomach pain, mostly upon rising... now I have significant abdominal distension and have lost 20 lbs in 3 months all due to lack of appetite and ulcer-like stomach pain... related? I would think so.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 14, 2017

“I was put on this for IC -- Interstitial Cystitis. I had been taking Ditropan, but was still having symptoms even after adjusting my diet, so my Urologist tried adding Hytrin, and the combination really worked for me. I took these for several years, and finally was able to wean myself off both medications and with following a strict diet, I am mostly symptom-free. I feel that it was the two drugs that allowed my bladder to finally stop spasming, and kind of "reset". This drug was literally a life-saver.”

JeffinID December 26, 2016

“I have seen zero effects after 7 weeks of 1mg nightly dosage. I've read where this should be having a noticeable effect between 2-4 weeks, but still have extremely weak flow and incomplete bladder emptying.”

Poppy835 · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 6, 2016

“Since I started taking terazosin, my night time trips to urinate have dropped to once or twice, from three to six.”

Chazuu May 16, 2015

Hytrin (terazosin): “I have been on Hytrin for at last 20 years. Started at 1 mg. daily. It helped my flow immediately. Now at the age of 84 I am on 15 mg. It still works pretty well. I have occasionally had episodes of low blood pressure leading to dizziness but I'm not sure whether that it from Hytrin or other blood pressure medicine I take. My blood pressure seems to fluctuate a lot. Again, I don't know the cause(s).”

Frank 57 yrs old · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 2, 2015

“I was taking 1mg of Doxazosin, for about a year, for my urine stream. I went off this and went to Terazosin, when the Doxazosin became unavailable. Taking 1mg of Terazosin, for 3 months worked very well, a strong urine stream and sexual functions were improved, the best in a few years. Then the product became unavailable an was put on 0.4 mg of Tamsulosin, within 15 days my urine stream and sexual functions reverted back to 4 months prior. I complained to my doctor and found another pharmacy selling Terazosin. I have been on the pill for 3 days and waiting for the product to adjust to previous levels. Remember if it works, don't change, you'll be disappointed.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 13, 2015

“After using this for about 2 months: 1. rate of urine flow increased 2. the bladder appeared to be emptied completely 3. frequency of urination decreased”

T/R November 27, 2013

Hytrin (terazosin): “I have been taking this for night trips to the bathroom . Started a 3mg 2 years ago and just started slowly increasing to 10mg. I stopped taking due to the side effects of rapid pounding heart beat, chest pains, dizziness, no real change in sexual functions which is good thing. Not a big change in night trips to the bathroom. Off to the Doctor today.”

Hammerdog47 October 8, 2013

“I've taken this for about nine years now. I went from 2mg. per day at the start, to 5mg per day two years ago. It really works for me. If I miss the evening dose, I notice decreased flow about twelve hours later. That's a huge motivation, so I rarely miss a dose. No noticeable side effects.”

Tommydix · Taken for 10 years or more May 18, 2013

Hytrin (terazosin): “Would not quit this medicine, it helps immensely.”

Anonymous March 27, 2012

Hytrin (terazosin): “Using 10 mg/night for the last two months - it works okay but side effects include low libido, and a very noticeable reduction in endurance and muscle strength. As a distance runner - age 50 my performance is severely impacted running and in bed. Going to ask my Doctor to try something else.”

sailpanther February 13, 2012

“My mouse wouldn't click the bar. Give it a 10. Worked very well. Also lowered my blood pressure.”

dockc August 22, 2011

“Terazosin controls my somewhat high blood pressure and moderately improves my benign prostatic hyperplasia symptoms at 5mg, 3X/day. I have found that just missing one dose (after 8-10 hrs after last dose) reduces urinary flow rate, but still a bit above flow before taking this medicine. I am not experiencing any significant side effects, unless I take terazosin in conjunction with muscle relaxant for arthritis pain in back and neck pain. Then I have experienced some dizziness and low blood pressure. I have read that it may take a couple of months before full effects on urinary symptoms occur. I have been taking terazosin for about 1-1/2 months at this dosage with little difference in the past month in flow. I previously tried doxazosin and tamsulosin with allergic side effects.”

Anonymous August 22, 2011

“It worked quite well at 1 mg a night for 3 years helping me urinate like a real man until 6 months ago when my flow rate began decreasing and the symptoms of urinary retention started reappearing. We increased the dosage to 2 mg and I was back to normal. Then the troubles urinating re-emerged and doctor upped it to 4 mg a night 3 weeks ago. Again I saw immediate improvement but over the weekend I've gone back to long bathroom struggles getting anything out. Am now awaiting the scheduling of a urodynamic study to get to the bottom of this.”

Good Luck! August 20, 2011

Hytrin (terazosin): “I am 50yo and was on 1-4mg Hytrin for 7 months for urinary retention and disliked it. It barely made a dent in my symptoms, and made me tired and fatigued - muscles always felt weak, was frequently irritable and interfered with my sleep. Took forever to build up to 4mg. However, I still had a libido with few sexual side effect, which was a very nice surprise. Recommend trying it to see if it works even though it's one of the older alpha-blockers.”

Anonymous October 1, 2009

Hytrin (terazosin): “Working well for me and I have had no side effects. I did reduce my other blood pressure medication.”

Bob G. September 20, 2009

“Had big problem urinating due to benign prostatic hyperplasia. Hard to start, pee, stop, pee a little more, etc. Often had pain. Tried Flomax for 30 days. No help. Given terazosin, works very well. Have increased dosage twice. Well pleased.”

Anonymous July 21, 2009

Hytrin (terazosin): “Have been using Hytrin for 8 or 9 years. Started on 5 mg, now taking 7mg every night. Get up once during the night in order to urinate. Flow strong. On the few times I forgot to take it. I could see a greatly reduced flow the next day. My PSA was never high. Now 1.1”

Anonymous June 16, 2009

Hytrin (terazosin): “I hit 28 on the PSA test, was prescribed Hytrin and gradually went from 1 to 5 pills a night. After a couple weeks or so the side effects were so bad I had to stop taking it. Intense headaches, nausea. It was unpleasant. Awaiting my doctor to find something else, on the "plus" side, after a month my PSA went from 28.3 to 8.8 and I have no trouble peeing. ”

Anonymous March 17, 2009

Hytrin (terazosin): “It's a wonder drug. I have been using it for the last four years and have found the problem to improve dramatically.”

big B. January 3, 2009

Hytrin (terazosin): “I have been using it for more than 10 years now. Began with 1mg and now on 12mg. They are still working.”

Philip D September 16, 2008

“My prostate volume was measred at 162 gm I was given Terazosin and Proscar for treatment I got relief the second night and was able to stop using catheter not too long after that.”