User Reviews for Prazosin to treat Nightmares

Also known as: Minipress

Prazosin Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 2 medications used in the treatment of Nightmares.

Reviews for Prazosin

"I suffered from night terrors for more than 20 years. Nothing psych docs gave me worked. Situation changed and I had to change doctors which is usually scary, right? It was the best thing ever, new psych doc put me on Prazosin 1mg and it worked. I had some breakthrough nightmares increased the dose to 2mg and everything is great. No night terrors and no side effects."

Karebear (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 26, 2019

"I was just prescribed prazosin I am really scared to take this medicine as it has a lot of side effects."

Kim judd December 23, 2018

"The first night I had no dreams at all. Then they returned and my psych upped my dose to 2mg. I am also taking Lisinopril 20mg. The combination caused very low blood pressure. I am now afraid to take Prazosin ever again."

Bub (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 28, 2018

"When I got back from Iraq in 2005 I've had PTSD related nightmares. I tried a lot of different prescriptions but nothing helped so I started self medicating with alcohol. But last year I had enough and went in to treatment and they prescribed me prazosin 1mg. Like a lot of other people it was a amazing I finally sleep though the night for my first time since 2005. 13 years later no more nightmares and it let me just drift to sleep on like other medications."

Chmwarrior (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 18, 2018

"I'm on 20 my of Prazosin a day, 15 mg at night, and 5 mg in the morning. Works like a charm for me. Night terrors are totally gone."

Samiam (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 9, 2018

"I started on one mg of prazosin two months ago. My PTSD is slightly better however my nightmares became more vivid. I do feel better throughout the day but have fainted twice from the drug lowering my blood pressure. I’m also taking ten mg of Lisiniprol each evening. The fainting experiences were frightening as I hit my head and awoke with blood coming from my right eye area. Left a scar. I could not move but lay shaking sweating sick to my stomach. Second episode I fainted but I knew I was going to so I tried to sit down on my couch. I did faint but what woke me was I was vomiting profusely. That scared me as I could have died from my own vomit had I been flat on the floor. I’m weaning myself off of it as this drug is too much for me. It is very powerful. Granted we are individuals who have different reactions. It’s great that it works for some but I’ll take the nightmares over the drug as I am very frightened of it. Just not for everyone."

Laci (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 27, 2018

"This is a true miracle drug for treating PTSD related nightmares and night terrors. This drug has to be increased very slowly and gradually to reduce side effects such as dizziness. I have read that this drug can be increased to a maximum of 25mg per day. But I would start with 1 mg and gradually up the dose over a period of weeks/months until your symptoms disappear. Sleep like a new born baby LITERALLY after years of suffering with the most horrendous of nightmares I was terrified to go to sleep. Now that's a thing of the past. I have been experimenting with using Prazosin during the day but it seems most effective when taken 1 hour before bed. I have flashbacks during the day so I will be writing another review/report in the next few months after experimenting with 3mg first thing in the morning and 5mg at night. This also works well with Melatonin 3mg."

alphamale-0151-UK September 7, 2018

"I did not tolerate this rx. I have naturally lower bp & the very 1st time I tried it, my bp tanked. I laid on the floor, head swimming every time I moved. It took hours & hours of that real life nightmare before I could even move more than an inch. Please, please be very careful with minipress."

Bulit (taken for less than 1 month) September 5, 2018

"I take this medication at 2mg nightly for PTSD related nightmares. Prior to taking this I had vivid nightmares multiple times a night every night and would scream, cry, choke in my sleep basically everything you prefer NOT to do while you’re sleeping. Since being on this medication I have maybe 1 to 2 nightmares a week at MOST, and when I do they are nothing severe. I still sleep through the night and the details of the dream are usually foggy anyways. I would definitely recommend this to someone looking for a possible solution for PTSD induced nightmares."

MJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 23, 2018

"I am a Vietnam Vet and came home with PTSD. I had treatment when I first returned to the states and went almost 55 years with only a nightmare on occasion. One Sunday at church something happen and it sent me back to a time and place. The nightmares returned not only at night but day time as well and once asleep I couldn't wake up. I would tear up the bedding/I was a basket case, I didn't want to sleep but I did. After 6 weeks my mental health nurses at the VA recommended Prazosin. I started at a 1 mg twice daily. That was the first night without nightmares in almost 6 weeks. On the third night I started with the nightmares again. My daily dosage is now at 12 mg and I feel I am alive because of this medication. I also had high blood pressure and this medication with my others has dropped my BP to what it was when I was 20, and my sex life is like I was 40 again. This is one magic drug. I have not noticed any bad side effects"

Handful July 31, 2018

"I was so excited to read the reviews and hopefully get a good nights sleep finally. It didn't work for me. Panic attacks accompanied the nightmares and extreme dizziness all day long. :("

Jen (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2018

"Prazosin has been a MIRACLE drug for me to take away nightmares. From the very first night that I took Prazosin, this has worked for me IMMEDIATELY. Eventually, when it seemed that I was starting to have some negative dreams, I simply doubled the dosage - and I never again had any dreams even close to nightmares !!!"

Blaire (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 4, 2018

"I have been taken this medicine for about 3 years for PTSD. (Nightmares) It is a life saver for me. Only bad thing I guess is I have no dreams at all. It helps with my blood pressure also. The VA prescribes this for me."

Waterblanched February 15, 2018

"I can't even put into words what a life changer this medication is for me. I've had terrible nightmares every night since I was a teenager, and have been taking antidepressants for them for a decade, to little effect. Prazosin has given me the ability to wake up without shakiness, terrible memories of my dreams, and nausea for the first time in decades. I am endlessly grateful."

Addy88 January 13, 2018

"I was prescribed Prazosin to help tame my exhausting vivid dreams. I wasn’t having nightmares per se, but my dreams constantly woke me, and I was exhausted the next day. It really seems to help. It’s like I’m an observer since starting this, rather than participant, and able to sleep much more restfully."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 26, 2017

"I started taking Prazosin in 2012 when I was diagnosed with PSTD & Conversion Disorder. When I first started taking Prazosin It helped me a lot, but like another poster stated it did bring things out that had been pushed Deep into my mind that I had been suppressing for years and didn't know it. I'm glad I take it and will continue taking it. I started 1 - 2 caps bedtime. Then I was just upped to 3/ 1mg. Only side effect I can think of is diarrhea from time to time. I hope this helps others and may God bless you on your journey to finding what works for you."

Fishgal47 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 19, 2017

"I have been on subutex for 4 years and my dr gave me prazosin for the nightmares. But the first night I don't remember anything... Not even sleeping so awoke felling tired and confused... But like any drug addict trying to change I am willing to do anything.. Now the therapy is making me relive so many things I kept hidden by drugs.. And as I relive more I worry and think about things more and more it isn't good and I am trying so that I can live again."

mydaysruntogether (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2017

"I take .5mg for sleep terror. Started working immediately. No more night dread / fear experiences. Also reduces anxiety and depression but this takes time. Would like to increase dose but headaches stop me"

Nodewma January 21, 2017

"It's been 6 mos now and still works miracles for my PTSD night terrors! The combination I've found that works for me: read the Bible or listen to it from an app as you fall asleep, take 2 mgs of Prazosin, and a combination of anti-depressant (Prozac/fluoxetine) works best for me, along with an anti-anxiety med treatment for the day. My next step will be therapy when I'm ready to talk. Until then, this combination helps tremendously. Even with the other meds I would wake up soaking wet and fighting for my life in my night terrors. Prazosin somehow helps tremendously and was my missing link."

SouthernSummer (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 28, 2016

"This drug is very promising to patients suffering from nightmares, insomnia and PTSD."

Mary Pat Higley, PharmD (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2016

"This was prescribed to me by my sleep specialist for multiple vivid nightmares on a daily basis. I started with 1mg, didn't notice a difference and I am now up to 3mg, still no decrease in nightmares. It's been over a month and the only effect this medication has on me is waking up with zero energy and feeling drained throughout the day."

Natalie_93 July 24, 2016

"I started this as a suggestion from my pharmacist since my psych NP was not finding ANYTHING to work for my childhood nightmares. Thank God for that angel pharmacist and Thank God for this medication. Not one nightmare to feel weird about the whole next day and ruin my day! I have taken now for about a month. Yesterday I tested it out and skipped a dose to see what would happen and sure enough a nightmare. I hope they never stop making this medication. I have had zero side effects! I am so thrilled with this medicine and not sure why I had never heard of it before or why out of all of the doctors I have seen they have not suggested it? I am only on 1 mg which is what the lowest dose? It WORKS! Save yourself the trauma and try it :)"

Tatsi May 24, 2016

"My partner was given these tablets for nightmares Chronic PTSD, he was already taking blood pressure tablets after enduring a heart attack 5 years ago....on the fourth day he collapsed in the garden, could not speak, stand, he was a terrible grey colour and his lips turned blue...The paramedics took him to A&E ....They discovered his blood pressure was dangerously low, he had a panic attack and his heart beat slowed right down........he should not have been given this medication whilst on other blood pressure tablets so be warned ....."

CaroleBillC May 15, 2016

"After the trial 4-6 weeks trial to see if it would work, it doesn't. Still very vivid nightmares."

Shelbylien March 10, 2016

"It worked OK the first couple of nights then terrible sweat soaked nightmares returned, but they go back and forth and I was instructed to stop taking it a week after I started and now my nightmares are on and off. I told my mother today that I think it was a placebo but even if it is I'm very happy it slowed the night terrors a lot."

Jasmine nice ray January 26, 2016