User Reviews for Prazosin

Also known as: Minipress

Learn more about Prazosin.

Prazosin Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Reviews for Prazosin to treat Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

"I'm a former paramedic with Complex-PTSD, and I've been taking Prazosin for one year to help with my nightmares. I used to kick and scream during my nightmares. I woke up so sweaty I had to change during the night, and sleep in a different spot. I still have nightmares, but they aren't terrifying like they used to be. I no longer have night sweats. My only beef is with the major dizziness and tachycardia the following morning. I've tried stopping these meds because of the side-effects, but trust me: the benefits far outweigh them."

MamanMedic (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My 21 year old son died on Jan 13, 2017 after this I immediately started having vivid horrible nightmares. My doctor put me on Prazosin, the nightmares have stopped. It works great for me."

RN Allie (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This pill has literally saved my life. I use to have dreams that would cause me to relive my traumas and I won't even describe my experience from there but it was as bad as if was happening again. Now I sleep in peace. I have taken this miracle pill for over 10 years now and it has worked. I also sometimes take a pill to actually help me fall asleep but that is a different problem and one that I have dealt with my entire life. Good luck to all of us who suffer with PTSD. The best advice I have is, stay away from alcohol, it does not help, it just appears to. It is really just the devil in disguise."

Angela Einstein (taken for 10 years or more) April 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"First I wish to thank those with PTSD who shared their experience with Prazosin. I am treated by VA for PTSD w/moral injury, for Prolonged nightly Night Terrors, Night screams, kicking/running legs in deep sleep. (Vietnam Era Combat Vet) I was placed on Prazosin nightly by my Psychiatrist about 4 years ago...at 1mg, and graduating to 6 mg by 2016. I take Sertraline in the morning..along with two cups of strong coffee to get me into a relatively normal routine. Sertraline helps with sudden noise anxiety and social conflict management. Prazosin causes me to crave sleep within an hour....I fall into deep sleep within minutes of lying down. The terrors and screams are very rare now. My dog is trained to awaken me on Alarm. I am grateful."

RETVET (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication has been a life changer in so many ways. I suffer from PTSD and have not had any night terrors since starting this medication. Simply a wonder drug."

007Andrews (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 63 and have had CPTSD all my life. Prazosin has helped a lot. BUT it's been rocky. The first dose I took felt like a miracle. I was serene and amazed. But then my nervous system got confused. Used to the constant fight stimulus. I would get wired taking it before sleep. Took it during the day which helped. WHAT I experienced felt like when one's arm goes numb and then circulation returns. My whole body felt like it was coming alive again. It hurt but I knew it was good. My digestion worked better. (makes sense) I had insomnia about 3 nights a week. After 2 months I'm so so much better - hardly any hypervigilance, less nightmares. So decrease the dose if you need to and gradually build it up if you have the problems I had."

Living with Complex PTSD (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My boyfriend was diagnosed with Bi-polar disorder and also suffers from childhood trauma PTSD. The medication alone he was still having his manic stages and his lows, but once the doctor added the minipress to take at night with his seroquel quetiapine, it created wonders for us. He has been very stable after only 30 days and we hope this progresses through out time."

LizNJC (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Went on this because I was looking for something non-habit forming to replace Ativan to help w my bad anxiety and flashbacks/nightmares at night. Sadly it did absolutely nothing to reduce the severity of any of my symptoms and also messed with my blood pressure which made me dizzy and almost pass out when I'd wake up :( I was taken off of it pretty quickly because of what it did to my blood pressure."

ptsd123 (taken for less than 1 month) November 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was placed on this for PTSD. I am female and none of the patient information warned that it would cause severe breast pain and engorgement. It does note in the information my doctor accessed that males may experience breast bud enlargement and pain. There was actually a specific term for this effect, but I forget now what it was. He had me go off the medication and back on 3 times. With two weeks in between. Each time, within 10 days, the pain was unbearable."

SkeenaPTSD (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking Prazosin for years. It started mainly right after my time in the service where I experienced.. An event. My battle buddy committed suicide in front of me. Taking his own rifle to his chin and pulling the trigger. For years after I suffered horrible reenactments of his death in my dreams. So vividly lucid that I would wake up screaming and being able to smell the sulfur in the air from the shell casing hitting the ground. Or the sound of a round penetrating the human skull, rickashay in this helmet and through his face. I don't mean to go about my own horrible nightmares, but that was 2007, it's November 22, 2016. My nightmares are returning. I'm not sure if I need a readjustment or not."

Boomer82 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After being diagnosed with PTSD, I was put on prazosin to help with horrible nightmares. I take a cocktail of other drugs which help with anxiety, hyper-alertness, and other symptoms. Even though I'm taking all this stuff I still have trouble sleeping and many times wake up punching, kicking and fighting. Prazosin has taken the edge off, though I still have really bazaar dreams. Plus, I recall everything. No side effects."

Kitchencat September 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am very thankful that my psychiatrist decided to prescribe this great medicine to me. My nightmares and sleep paralysis rarely rears it's ugly head now. I have; social anxiety disorder, panic disorder, disassociative disorder, ptsd, chronic depression and ADHD. I realize that what I am about to say can be a controversial subject, but I simply wish to help. Many people who are diagnosed with so many psychological disorders are what is called an Empath. We are evolving faster now than ever before in the history of mankind. It's basically a spiritual awakening of the human race. There are positive aspects, such as high intuition amongst other gifts. Basically, it's not medical, but spiritual. Get educated and stay medicated if need be."

Serenity Moonlighte (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After 30 years of night terrors amongst other life traumas and almost a year of Doctors saying you have MDD, attempting suicide, cutting and other anger, anxiety, and and social issues. I learned yesterday that I have PTSD, Social Anxiety Depression etc. I was taken off two Propanolol and Hydroxyzine and they were replaced with Prazosin and Risperdal. Although last night was only my first night taking prazosin and I was told to take it alone. Well I did that around 9 pm stayed up for about two hours after taking it finally getting sleepy around 11pm or close to it. Got up off the couch to go to bed a little off balance. Abruptly awoke at 1:30 am more off balance and cannot go back to sleep. Not sure if I had a nightmare but anxiety is high."

NoOneSpecial38 (taken for less than 1 month) September 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on prazosin since beginning of March 2016. I have Cptsd, anxiety, depression, ADHD, insomnia, and a number of physical problems(such as nerve damage ext.) Anyhow, this prazosin worked great for the first 2 months I'd say. I started at 1mg at night, I'm now up to 4mg at night it does nothing! Absolutely nothing that I can tell! I had a nice little PTSD flashback two days while driving and last night it was nightmare after nightmare! My doctor only seems to want to up my dosage instead of trying other things too! I don't like it anymore though and don't find it very useful. I have absolutely no side effects from it, other than it doesn't work."

Heather88 August 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It really did help with my nightmares. (And lowered my blood pressure haha). I used to has nightmares almost every night and I have only had 3 on the 7 months I've been on it. My boyfriend thinks this is the best medicine ever created because now we can sleep peacefully. Didn't really help me fall asleep but didn't keep me awake either. And when I slept I would sleep though the night with no nightmares. Just really weird dreams."

Lisakay145 July 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on this med for almost 2yrs it never really helped my PTSD , panic attacks and my anxiety due to my accident almost 2 yrs ago going to dr tomorrow to see what I can take now"

Izzy42 July 4, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Suffer from ptsd and bipolar disorder. Reliving traumatic violence during nightmares, waking in pools of sweat, and physically defending myself for many years while attempting to sleep. In addition to 200 mg seroquel prescribed at bedtime for 5 years doctor added 3 mg prazosin 3 years ago. The results have been life changing. Very few night terrors. My wife feels safe sleeping beside me. I'm so appreciative to my psychiatrist for prescribing this medication. I can't recall any side effects. 30 years of living with this affliction have been all but been remidied. Thank you"

Mike sleepless May 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"A Godsend drug for PTSD. No more nightmares!"

Nickname1 May 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"PTSD Trauma Nightmares & BPH. As dosage was slowly increased from 1mg to 4mg before bedtime, I went from 3-5 nightmares per night (triggering panic attacks that made it impossible to go back to sleep) to none. I now have weird dreams. I can deal with weird. Upped to 5mg to help with BPH. It worked for me."

MountainJack April 4, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"A combination of PTSD....also suspect too many years standing watch in Navy. It has all resulted in YEARS of a nightmare surrounding sleep It featured high anxiety which began about 5PM.. inability to go to sleep once I got into bed, and waking up during night and early AM awakening... I was lucky to get 4 hours..sometimes so wired no sleep at all during night Prazosin shuts off my mind so I can not only go to sleep but stay asleep.. and the result of my days are better...less focus on negativity I am unable to verbalize how much it has helped.....so entirely thankful my physician who listened and Rxd.. He works with other vets too who apparently have also remarkable stories of success."

Black_Raven March 31, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've suffered for over 20 years with PTSD in addition to ADD, so my adrenal system is shot. My fight or flight is 0-100 with anger at times so severe I've received felony charges. I witnessed a horrific murder, was raped and held at gunpoint with my baby daughter for over a week. My trauma was so severe I had and still have memory loss. I believed I was dead for over 5 years and had a memory of me being shot. What I want to say about this medication is it saved my life, I've been on it for about 6 months and it works. I am going to see about taking it during the day as well...I wish you all the best of luck and pray you remain strong through your battle with PTSD."

PTSD1111 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had years of sleep disturbance's due to PTSD, from having to live in high anxiety and violent situations. So my Dr. prescribed Prazosin, and right away I was sleeping at least 8 hours a night without waking or nightmares. I am not having any side affects that I am aware of and am very glad to be taking it."

mbrady1960 February 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"after getting off of the Max of trazadone my doctor prescribed me this so I can get a better nights rest without having nightmares. This has been making me stay up all night. It's acting like speed and is increasing my heart rate. I feel dizzy and nauseous and I am shaking as if I had a gallon of black coffee."

milkipie (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I know you have to wait at least 3-4 weeks. So far I'm on week 3 and still unsure if it works. First few nights on 1mg a day, I flipped up out of my sleep several times. Dr increased it to 2mg a day and I still can't get consistent sleep patterns. Some days yes and others no. One night I stayed up like I was on drugs. Finally passed out around 1am. Week 3, I've now gotten the "gotta go to the bathroom #2" side effect which my doctor says happens. It's like a sore stomach with diarrhea but not full blown diarrhea. The one good thing is my BP has responded to the meds. Less nightmares but then again I'm not really sleeping either. I'm still going to continue and see where it goes."

BlueLake11 February 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had ongoing PTSD for the past 15 years, including nightmares almost every night. My neurologist finally started me on prazosin to see if it would help me get any sleep. I had to go up to 4mg to make the nightmares stop. I tried to go back down to 3mg but had nightmares so went back to 4mg. After 2 months at 4mg I'm back to not sleeping well and having nightmares 4-5 nights a week. I'm concerned that I will continue to build up a tolerance and it will become less effective. I did have one incident where I got up in the middle of the night and passed out, remaining unconscious for over 40 minutes. I have to really watch out for low blood pressure when taking any BP altering meds like this. A salty snack before bed seems to help."

So tired, PTSD December 23, 2015