User Reviews for Prazosin to treat Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

Also known as: Minipress

Prazosin Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Reviews for Prazosin

Gabriel · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 17, 2020

“This medication is a life saver. I realized that I absolutely cannot go off it because it’s like night & day. I currently take 5 mg at night, I had to slowly increase it 1 mg at a time until I got up to where I am now. That’s the only thing about it, if you go more than two days without it, you have to titrate back up again. I’ve noticed a tremendous difference on this medication. I’m more relaxed during the day, I don’t clench my teeth all the time, I’m less jumpy, the intrusive thoughts have decreased considerably, I sleep better, the paranoia is decreased as are the crazy thought patterns I got myself into from the constant hypervigilance. The feeling of constant threat is reduced; every little thing doesn’t feel like it could kill me anymore. I can actually function. This is the best medicine I’ve ever been on.”

Starbucks · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 16, 2020

“Prazosin 1mg-2mg helps with dreams, however can cause dizziness, it also helps in relaxation. Taken with acetaminophen, prazosin can greatly reduce aches associated with tremors common in PTSD. Hydration is important. Prazosin and a sleep aid similar to Tylenol pm can help with sleep, however a restless night here and there is not uncommon. I am thankful to have this medication, it is helpful”

Gigi April 28, 2020

“I have been taking Prazosin for about four months. Initially, I was prescribed 1mg at bedtime for nightmares. During the first week, I noticed that my nightmares seemed much less severe. By the middle of my second week, the dreams were more like strangely vivid weird dreams. At the tail end of the first 30 days, I felt like my nightmares had stopped. Physically, I dealt with some dizziness, like for the first 15 minutes. Most of the next two months, I slept pretty good--or so I thought. One morning my husband confronted me about hitting and kicking him in my sleep. That increased over the course of a couple of weeks. My clinician is slowly increasing of Prazosin over the course of the next month--from 1mg to 4mg. I have been taking 2mg for the past three nights and feel amazing. My sleep is much closer to MY normal. For me, normal is 5 to 6 hours. I wake up feeling refreshed and well rested with no muscle pain or tension.”

trisha · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 9, 2020

“I was on Prazosin a couple years ago and it works great at low doses but when the DR upped the does to 50 mg I had a strange experience that landed me in the hospital. Felt like I was asleep in dreamland, and dialed 911 not knowing what was happinging and then when the police car showed up, he left the drivers door open and I sat in the front seat of the cruiser as I did on the job many times before, but this time was not a dream. I was dreaming but I was actually doing what I was dreaming in real life. I didn't realize this in tell about 3am in the morning when I woke up handcuffed to a stretcher in my local ED. Prazosin works great for PTSD flashbacks at low doses but careful when they try and bump the dose up.”

Tori P · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 29, 2020

“Minipress gave me severe nightmares and insomnia. It also made me urinate myself many times.”

Steficake · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 3, 2020

“I'm finding that Minipress 2mg at bedtime helps me get a better night's sleep and reduces my nightmares and anxiety in my dreams. I'm considering requesting a higher dose and possibly getting a better result. But, I can say that the 2mg OPD has made a measurable improvement/reduction in my PTSD/nightmares.”

Tkuindy · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 13, 2020

“I'm now on 1 mg "prazosin at night time along with 200 mg of trazodone at night time. And yet it doesn't help me to fall straight away. Usually I need a bit of mother nature to do the trick. I will add that they have me on quite a bit of different "pain meds". Only one is actually a pain med. The rest just add to the amount of pills I have to take everyday.”

Tian · Taken for less than 1 month January 9, 2020

“Took first 1mg prazosin dose last night, noticed dizziness within 30 minutes, did not help with nightmares. Upon waking up, my heart began to pound so badly that I also felt it in my head which caused a migraine that I still have writing this. I was sweating profusely, could hardly see anything due to almost passing out and had extremely loud ringing in my ears. I had to lay down this morning for about two hours because if I tried to stand, those symptoms listed would immediately start up again. Called my doc and was told to not take it again due to it dangerously lowering my blood pressure. I would not recommend this medication for PTSD treatment based on my horrible experience.”

Missunshine January 3, 2020

“This medication Prazosin saved me . I have tried too many to count. I got a new psychiatrist who worked in a veterans hospital. I suffer from a couple forms of ptsd. Complex ptsd and ptsd associated with trauma. I have not a true night's rest since I was child. I work on auto pilot. I have been in therapy for 2 years and I just started prazosin a month ago. I notice so many differences. I am calmer. I am still hyper aware but at 40% vs 100%. It helped tone down my PTSD symptoms to the point where I am now facing my demons. I lost hope but this medication helped being it back.”

None · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 22, 2019

“I woke up more often with flashbacks at night. A side effect is low blood pressure and my new doctor said the high dose could have made me pass out at any time”

Gfish1967 November 21, 2019

“I was diagnosed with C-PTSD in July, was given quetiapine, today I'm getting weaned off of them & starting tonight on 500mcg of prazosin, next week I will go up to 1mg once the quetiapine is finished, I also see my psychologist every 2 weeks & psychiatrist every 6 months, any advise good or bad about this medication for my diagnosis would be greatly appreciated because I'm nervous about new meds & side effects, TIA”

Vet007 · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 19, 2019

“I was initially prescribed 2 mg prazosin prior to bedtime for PTSD nightmares. It worked for a couple hours, but upon awakening and going back to sleep, the nightmares continued. It was not recommended to me that I take it during the day, only at night. Again, the first hour or two falling asleep, it is beneficial. If you wake up and go back to sleep, it doesn’t work.”

AmberDawn · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 30, 2019

“This prazosin has helped my PTSD more than any other pill any dr has thrown at me. I even see improvement during the day. I still get triggered into fight or flight response but not as easy and it doesn’t last as long now. Also my therapy has really progressed since I’ve started it about 6 months ago.”

Mnyc · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 25, 2019

“I take prazosin for PTSD. I am currently on 3mg at night time, a combination of a 2mg pill and 1mg pill, as my doctor ordered. It's a miracle medicine, helping me sleep, reducing nightmares, and even stopping PTSD flashbacks all day long. I am grateful to find such relief. No side effects for me other then what it's prescribed to me for. 10/10”

Junior · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 24, 2019

“Suffered years of PTSD post defence and then paramedic career, tried to manage medication free - poorly. Problems getting to sleep and staying asleep would wake regularly in a distressed state that would wake my wife and kids. Commenced on 1mg dose and also mirtazapine 15mg, after a few months of adjusting I am now on 2mg nightly and 30mg mirtazapine. On taking I am asleep within 30 mins and am sleeping through for 6 hours. Can’t remember when I last slept like this. Wake a little wonky but no thrashing kicking and talking, shouting in my sleep the wife tells me. So it’s working for me when others didn’t.”

Charlene · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 14, 2019

“I had such terrible nightmares and night terrors for about 10 years I got to the point where I didn't sleep much. I was afraid to fall asleep. I craved sleep but couldn't. I was finally hospitalized. Staff documented I didn't sleep at all for the first 5 days I was there. Then sleep meds got me to sleep and nightmares with talking and screaming started. They added Prozosin which helps me. I still have nightmares sometimes but I am much improved. Side effects include extreme thirst, dry mouth and eyes. I also have to be careful about the dizziness it causes if have to wake up before my sleep cycle is finished. Bottom line, not sleeping caused so many problems I put up with the side effects.”

Survivor · Taken for less than 1 month August 27, 2019

“I was put on 1mg Prazosin for nightmares and insomnia. Results: Night 1: increased frequency in terrorizing nightmares and insomnia. Night 2: same as night 1. Night 3: went to bed at 9:00 p.m. Fell asleep for a few minutes, followed by 6+ hours of insomnia. Not great when you need to be somewhere the next morning. I'm worse off after taking this drug than I was before I started. Also noticing increased edema with it. Currently finalizing acquisition of a PTSD service dog. Thinking the dog will be more helpful than the meds.”

Smitty · Taken for less than 1 month August 24, 2019

“Had nightmares for almost a month straight. Was scared to face PTSD head-on. Thought I'd white knuckle thru. Everyday was wonky ”

Bawstun · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 30, 2019

“I have suffered from traumatic PTSD nightmares, or just generally depressing and sad dreams for over 8 years. I was self-medicating with marijuana for a very long time because it removed all dream recall for me, but my quality of sleep was not good. Immediately upon the first night of taking this (1mg) it was an immediate improvement of no nightmares. I have since gone to 5mg due to a few nights of bad dreams at the 1mg dose and it being more vivid than ever before. But since increasing the dose, no nightmares regularly. Maybe one every so often but the difference in my sleep and sleep quality cannot be overstated. If you suffer from any type of nightmarish sleep or bad dreams, PLEASE ask your doctor about this medication as it may give you your life back. I do feel faint and dizzy at times if I get up at night to use the restroom, but I already have low blood pressure as it is. But I don’t care - it’s a trade off I will make.”

Wolverine · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 9, 2019

“I've been on this drug for the past two months and have finally hit 3 mg (my goal is 4) and while I still have vivid dreams, they're not as nightmarish and I don't wake up with instant anxiety nearly as often. I've found it to be super helpful although having low blood pressure can definitely make me dizzy at times. Definitely can be worse if you take it while super drunk.”

Andy · Taken for less than 1 month June 22, 2019

“I use this for anxiety and stress: I have PTSD, anxiety and panic attacks. The VA doc started me on 1mg to eventually increase to 3 mg. Now vivid dreams have increased but relative few night mares. Once the dosage increased to 3mg , I awoke very groggy and vision blurry. Now back to 2mg and not so groggy in the morning but vivid dreams and blurry vision persists. Tempted to cut back to 1mg. Input from anyone out there with similar experience would be greatly appreciated.”

My Nickname · Taken for less than 1 month June 19, 2019

“This is the first medication in several years that I’ve actually taken. At this point, I figure there’s really not much to lose. Started last week on 1mg. This week I am bumping up to 2mg. Last week, almost instantly, my dreams changed. I’m still dreaming. It seems I can remember more details once I awake. But the way I wake up.... AMAZING. Last week I didn’t awake once in a murderous rage ready to fight. I also haven’t woken in pain. Which I’m not sure if it’s the meds or just coincidence. This week however, after bumping up to 2mg, I can’t wake up! And I’m not staying asleep. Holy crap, it’s either stay up until 0330, or fall asleep before 2200 and open my eyes, seemingly every 20 minutes. I do hope this passes. Good thing I have nowhere to be during the day.”

Alex · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 18, 2019

“I was on Pazosin from 2015-2018 I found it minimally helpful. At first I had no nightmares or panic attacks. Within 3 weeks I quickly reached the max dose of 35mg. I have had PTSD since I was a child and in and out of institutions since I was 15. I would not recommend to any of my friends this medication.”

DARRELL · Taken for less than 1 month June 16, 2019

“Took my first dose of prazosin yesterday at a dose of 2mg - it is for my PTSD. After about an hour of taking, I got up to use the bathroom. I suddenly felt really weird like I was going to faint and went back to bedroom. I laid on my bed and started sweating for about 5 minutes. It slowed and then I got cold. Covered up and went to sleep. My dreams were not bad, but that first dose and the near fainting and sweating scared me. I want this to work, but I'm afraid to take another dose?”

Wildwonderland · Taken for less than 1 month June 4, 2019

“Took prazosin for PTSD, 1mg. First night, I actually had a restful sleep, ZERO dreams, super strange. But I woke up not knowing what day it was. Anxiety kicked in pretty hard and my heart has been beating like a drum. Not the most comfortable feeling, as I have had issues with my heart racing in the past which required surgery. I suffer from GAD, panic disorder, illness anxiety, PTSD, OCPD, mild depression and some physical illnesses. So, I am hoping these feelings pass. I'd like to continue sleeping comfortably, and wake up knowing what day it is. Hahhaha. Will update once I've been on this longer. Take good care everyone!”

Learn more about Post Traumatic Stress Disorder