User Reviews for Prazosin systemic

Also known as: Minipress

Prazosin Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Reviews for Prazosin to treat Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

"Works really well for nightmares but not for night sweats"

Cockroach (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 17, 2018

"Initially worked well however within 2 weeks the effects were non-existent. Extremely short life-span of effectiveness before being required to increase the dose."

Jay (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 21, 2018

"Wow, I have PTSD due to husbands sex addiction. I had obtrusive thoughts and extremely high startle response so that I hated nights. Sleep eluded me and my mind dwelled. FINALLY! I sleep great and woke up SO HAPPY! I hope it lasts.. I took 1mg before bed. I got a light headache and felt a tad light headed but WORTH IT! I hope all people struggling with PTSD at night tries this! It is great!"

Laydee (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2018

"I've been prescribed (thankfully) a pretty low-dose. It gives me migraines and stuffy nose. My suspicions were correct: I'm within that 1-10% of people who are affected with this sinus blockage problem everytime I take this pill. Of course, this is counterintuitive to my sleeping issues since not being able to breathe wakes me up from sleep."

V2Victory (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 3, 2018

"Like all medications Prazosin works only temporarily. Deep meditation allowing the feelings and traumatic experiences to be felt has helped me more than medications. "

b (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 30, 2018

"I started taking this medication in August 2017 after having PTSD for 14 years. I had to get an increased dosage to 2mg due to a really bad PTSD attack. I have been noticing a lot of calmness but I occasionally have my nightmares but not as intense as they used to be. I recommend this to people like me that took them years even decades to be put on medication. BTW, DO NOT DRINK CAFFEINE WITH THIS MEDS BEFORE YOU GO TO BED.. YOU WILL BE UP ALL NIGHT."

JasmineDucky December 29, 2017

"I have had PTSD since childhood. I have had so many different remedies and prescriptions. None of them have ever stopped the screaming and fighting completely. This has done the most instead of every night now it’s just once in a while. I agree with others alcohol will only make your PTSD worse. Exercise is well help angling with this pill. Don’t take if you need to get up in a few hours...."

Cinderrose November 26, 2017

"I feel like this drug has helped with my nightmares and PTSD. My dreams are much more vivid and more detailed, but I'm not being chased are dragged anymore in them. I am retaining more water than usual."

Liz$2 September 25, 2017

"I take prazosin for PTSD-induced nightmares. It WORKS for me. Everyone is different but this medication has prevented nightmares and waking up in a panic for me. I have not had any side effects whatsoever."

thecoochie (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2017

"I'm a former paramedic with Complex-PTSD, and I've been taking Prazosin for one year to help with my nightmares. I used to kick and scream during my nightmares. I woke up so sweaty I had to change during the night, and sleep in a different spot. I still have nightmares, but they aren't terrifying like they used to be. I no longer have night sweats. My only beef is with the major dizziness and tachycardia the following morning. I've tried stopping these meds because of the side-effects, but trust me: the benefits far outweigh them."

MamanMedic (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 23, 2017

"My 21 year old son died on Jan 13, 2017 after this I immediately started having vivid horrible nightmares. My doctor put me on Prazosin, the nightmares have stopped. It works great for me."

RN Allie (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 2, 2017

"This pill has literally saved my life. I use to have dreams that would cause me to relive my traumas and I won't even describe my experience from there but it was as bad as if was happening again. Now I sleep in peace. I have taken this miracle pill for over 10 years now and it has worked. I also sometimes take a pill to actually help me fall asleep but that is a different problem and one that I have dealt with my entire life. Good luck to all of us who suffer with PTSD. The best advice I have is, stay away from alcohol, it does not help, it just appears to. It is really just the devil in disguise."

Angela Einstein (taken for 10 years or more) April 1, 2017

"First I wish to thank those with PTSD who shared their experience with Prazosin. I am treated by VA for PTSD w/moral injury, for Prolonged nightly Night Terrors, Night screams, kicking/running legs in deep sleep. (Vietnam Era Combat Vet) I was placed on Prazosin nightly by my Psychiatrist about 4 years ago...at 1mg, and graduating to 6 mg by 2016. I take Sertraline in the morning..along with two cups of strong coffee to get me into a relatively normal routine. Sertraline helps with sudden noise anxiety and social conflict management. Prazosin causes me to crave sleep within an hour....I fall into deep sleep within minutes of lying down. The terrors and screams are very rare now. My dog is trained to awaken me on Alarm. I am grateful."

RETVET (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 1, 2017

"This medication has been a life changer in so many ways. I suffer from PTSD and have not had any night terrors since starting this medication. Simply a wonder drug."

007Andrews (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2017

"I am 63 and have had CPTSD all my life. Prazosin has helped a lot. BUT it's been rocky. The first dose I took felt like a miracle. I was serene and amazed. But then my nervous system got confused. Used to the constant fight stimulus. I would get wired taking it before sleep. Took it during the day which helped. WHAT I experienced felt like when one's arm goes numb and then circulation returns. My whole body felt like it was coming alive again. It hurt but I knew it was good. My digestion worked better. (makes sense) I had insomnia about 3 nights a week. After 2 months I'm so so much better - hardly any hypervigilance, less nightmares. So decrease the dose if you need to and gradually build it up if you have the problems I had."

Living with Complex PTSD (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 11, 2017

"My boyfriend was diagnosed with Bi-polar disorder and also suffers from childhood trauma PTSD. The medication alone he was still having his manic stages and his lows, but once the doctor added the minipress to take at night with his seroquel quetiapine, it created wonders for us. He has been very stable after only 30 days and we hope this progresses through out time."

LizNJC (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2017

"Went on this because I was looking for something non-habit forming to replace Ativan to help w my bad anxiety and flashbacks/nightmares at night. Sadly it did absolutely nothing to reduce the severity of any of my symptoms and also messed with my blood pressure which made me dizzy and almost pass out when I'd wake up :( I was taken off of it pretty quickly because of what it did to my blood pressure."

ptsd123 (taken for less than 1 month) November 28, 2016

"I was placed on this for PTSD. I am female and none of the patient information warned that it would cause severe breast pain and engorgement. It does note in the information my doctor accessed that males may experience breast bud enlargement and pain. There was actually a specific term for this effect, but I forget now what it was. He had me go off the medication and back on 3 times. With two weeks in between. Each time, within 10 days, the pain was unbearable."

SkeenaPTSD (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 27, 2016

"I've been taking Prazosin for years. It started mainly right after my time in the service where I experienced.. An event. My battle buddy committed suicide in front of me. Taking his own rifle to his chin and pulling the trigger. For years after I suffered horrible reenactments of his death in my dreams. So vividly lucid that I would wake up screaming and being able to smell the sulfur in the air from the shell casing hitting the ground. Or the sound of a round penetrating the human skull, rickashay in this helmet and through his face. I don't mean to go about my own horrible nightmares, but that was 2007, it's November 22, 2016. My nightmares are returning. I'm not sure if I need a readjustment or not."

Boomer82 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 22, 2016

"After being diagnosed with PTSD, I was put on prazosin to help with horrible nightmares. I take a cocktail of other drugs which help with anxiety, hyper-alertness, and other symptoms. Even though I'm taking all this stuff I still have trouble sleeping and many times wake up punching, kicking and fighting. Prazosin has taken the edge off, though I still have really bazaar dreams. Plus, I recall everything. No side effects."

Kitchencat September 24, 2016

"I am very thankful that my psychiatrist decided to prescribe this great medicine to me. My nightmares and sleep paralysis rarely rears it's ugly head now. I have; social anxiety disorder, panic disorder, disassociative disorder, ptsd, chronic depression and ADHD. I realize that what I am about to say can be a controversial subject, but I simply wish to help. Many people who are diagnosed with so many psychological disorders are what is called an Empath. We are evolving faster now than ever before in the history of mankind. It's basically a spiritual awakening of the human race. There are positive aspects, such as high intuition amongst other gifts. Basically, it's not medical, but spiritual. Get educated and stay medicated if need be."

Serenity Moonlighte (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 21, 2016

"After 30 years of night terrors amongst other life traumas and almost a year of Doctors saying you have MDD, attempting suicide, cutting and other anger, anxiety, and and social issues. I learned yesterday that I have PTSD, Social Anxiety Depression etc. I was taken off two Propanolol and Hydroxyzine and they were replaced with Prazosin and Risperdal. Although last night was only my first night taking prazosin and I was told to take it alone. Well I did that around 9 pm stayed up for about two hours after taking it finally getting sleepy around 11pm or close to it. Got up off the couch to go to bed a little off balance. Abruptly awoke at 1:30 am more off balance and cannot go back to sleep. Not sure if I had a nightmare but anxiety is high."

NoOneSpecial38 (taken for less than 1 month) September 10, 2016

"I've been on prazosin since beginning of March 2016. I have Cptsd, anxiety, depression, ADHD, insomnia, and a number of physical problems(such as nerve damage ext.) Anyhow, this prazosin worked great for the first 2 months I'd say. I started at 1mg at night, I'm now up to 4mg at night it does nothing! Absolutely nothing that I can tell! I had a nice little PTSD flashback two days while driving and last night it was nightmare after nightmare! My doctor only seems to want to up my dosage instead of trying other things too! I don't like it anymore though and don't find it very useful. I have absolutely no side effects from it, other than it doesn't work."

Heather88 August 14, 2016

"It really did help with my nightmares. (And lowered my blood pressure haha). I used to has nightmares almost every night and I have only had 3 on the 7 months I've been on it. My boyfriend thinks this is the best medicine ever created because now we can sleep peacefully. Didn't really help me fall asleep but didn't keep me awake either. And when I slept I would sleep though the night with no nightmares. Just really weird dreams."

Lisakay145 July 26, 2016

"I've been on this med for almost 2yrs it never really helped my PTSD , panic attacks and my anxiety due to my accident almost 2 yrs ago going to dr tomorrow to see what I can take now"

Izzy42 July 4, 2016