User Reviews for Fycompa

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Fycompa.

Seizures
6.5

Epilepsy
5.8

Summary of Fycompa reviews 6.1 21 reviews

Reviews for Fycompa

For Seizures "My husband takes this Fycompa along with Zonegran and Lamictal. He is slowly coming off the Zonegran since starting. Hasn't had a seizure since he started 2 months ago but he has turned into the biggest Ass you have ever met. Told him the other night I think I might prefer the seizures over his personality change. I hope this levels out soon. I told him we should call it Fightcompa!"

DHarts (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Epilepsy "This medicine has made me more angry than usual and it doesn't help with my seizures. It also makes me sleepier than usual."

notyouraveragegrillxox (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Epilepsy "I have generalized epilepsy and very hard to control ... fycompa was working like the magical drug for the first 2 months then all the side effects hit me like a rock , the first was anger I would get mad and irritated very easy which wasn't like me and personality change is a big one ... being someone your not.. all the bad side effects I got . but seizure free now for a year.."

AB2001 August 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Epilepsy "My son had a tough case of seizures, that generally occurred overnight, and we had difficulty achieving seizure control. After exhausting many meds, a doctor told us we'd have a 3% chance of finding a medicine that would control his seizures. The seizures started right when he turned 4, he's now 5. Eventually the cocktail of Fycompa and oxcarbazepine did the trick; 10 months seizure free and counting. Also interesting to note is that he and I both have a genetic variant of unknown significance on the CACNA1A gene. I've never had seizures but he has. He is experiencing side effects, most noticeably, he gets groggy after taking the Fycompa and oxcarbazepine before bed. Also mood swings and behavior but part of that is being 5."

DaveGrohl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Epilepsy "Started on this medication during its study phase. Just makes me real tired and in a "fog" in the morning. If still up an hour after taking it I sometime feel "drunk", balance is altered."

Dhaniboi (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Epilepsy "I started on it during its study phase. The only side effects are it makes me very tired. And it does take me longer to wake up. I think it is an awesome medication."

Dhaniboi (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Epilepsy "In short term it made me crazy ! At first it controlled my seizures which had been under controlled but I had some break through seizures. I had a complete personality change. Didn't trust anyone. Pretty much 90% of the side effects that were on the warnings. After I read the pharmaceutical information I wondered how the FDA approved this drug. And when I was having to be weaned off the drug it was hell. Hallucinations, shakes, sweating. I assume what a drug addict would go through. I can't believe I am the only person who has experienced this. After this I of course was given another medication. Ever since I was given this medication I have had memory loss. My seizures have increased . Were for over 6 years were under control."

Take it off the Market! (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Epilepsy "I take Fycompa together with vimpat, lamotrigine, and levetiracetam. These drugs have made me seizure free. I had video EEG monitoring and this changed my life. My neurologist determined the lobe of my brain that was involved and placed me on the correct meds. If any of you cannot become seizure-free please ask your doctor to consider video EEG monitoring. Without this I would still have seizures."

NYY (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Epilepsy "I did a 6 week trial of this and it made me psychotic for about 2 hours once I had gotten my blood level up. High as a kite, aggressive and talking backwards. So I went off it and had terrible withdrawal in the form of depression and suicidal thoughts. I have temporal lobe epilepsy and I think I am on the more psychotic end of the spectrum so I was more vulnerable to those side effects. I was a second degree black belt at the time. I judge all drugs by my ability to do a decent back kick without falling over. It failed the back kick test as well."

danMom March 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Epilepsy "Good points: reduced my seizures and made me feel overall a lot more confident. If I ever had a seizure, I tended to know when it might occur and my 'trigger' points. Bad points: It made me in some ways over confident, to the point of feeling careless. Not so much suicidal, but thoughtless and self-indulgent. I would get angry easily. I work in a professional place and therefore had to taper down from it, though am still on a low dose."

1972 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Seizures "Fycompa is the best drug I have ever taken for seizures. I am nearly seizure free. When I now have a seizure I will stare for about two seconds. No falling or shaking. I have other meds but this is a life changer."

NYY (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Seizures "I tried this drug as part of a clinical trial for my 9 year old son. On the second night of taking the medicine he woke up having an over 7 minute seizure and stopped breathing during one of the clusters. His seizures were lasting 1 to 2 minutes prior and he has never stopped breathing. I had to call 911 which I've never had to do before. It was very scary. We have dropped out of the trial. I'm disappointed I was hoping this would help us as well as others."

Hds February 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Epilepsy "frequent bowel movements, later diarrea especially durning the morning hard to tell if it helped my seizures, as I had 4 seizures in a 5 month period"

never better January 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Epilepsy "I have been on this medication since the study for it started. Medicaid covers it totally because I am on Disabilty. I was taking three 4mg pills. I now take 12mg pills. But in my experience it turns me into a zombie so take it only after I am in bed. 1-2 hours after I take my other meds or I get goofy as hell and my partner says I slur like a very drunk person. But say I am asleep at midnight. If I wake up before 11:00 am I will be groggy for about 2 hours unless I have breakfast."

Dhani June 2, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Epilepsy "Starting any new seizure med to me is just straight up scary. I think they are running out of drugs to try. So I have to admit I was a bit worried when I heard the side effects. They have me listed as allergic to depakote, vimpat and keppra but honestly it was how nasty the side effects were. My personality hasn't changed at all on this drug. However, I never was an "active" sleeper which is what I turned into for awhile. It seems to be slowly going away but it was very weird waking up because I was dreaming I was swimming and hit the wall with my foot. As many people with epilepsy know not a horrible side effect. I was having petite mals daily and grand mals probably weekly. Since I started fycompa I have had two petite mal seizures."

Heather LM March 24, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Epilepsy "My daughter has had refractory epilepsy for 20yrs. She tried this drug in addition to the Vimpat and Topamax she is already taking. Huge mistake! Week 2 she became catatonic, delusional, and terrified. Her dad ,brother and I helped her through it. Called her neurologist and stopped the drug immediately. We are on day one without the Fycompa, our morning was consumed with a psychotic episode but after an hr and a half she came around. Lucky for her she doesn't remember much if anything of these events. I highly recommend you do your research before considering this drug. In my opinion it shouldn't be on the market."

MamaJenn (taken for less than 1 month) March 16, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Epilepsy "I have JME ( juvenile myclonic epilepsy). My neurologist switched me from lamictal to fycompa. My husband and I were told fycompa was best for my JME. Within 2 weeks my personality changed. I got all the side effects. I have never been in trouble but ended up doing 75 hours in jail cause of it. Luckily I got a doctor who took me off it ASAP and on depakote. I had used depakote about 20 years ago. My husband still loves me and things are getting back on track for us. Like the previous reviewer stated their relationship is shaky due to the drug. I hate fycompa."

Fycompa Hater (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Seizures "Having tried 7 other medications none of which controlled my seizures I was happily surprised that a dose of 4mg of Fycompa does. More than 12 months and no seizures. Luckily I have not experienced suicidal thoughts. The only side effects I experience are a little aggression and tiredness but only very mild."

anonymous 102 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 31, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Seizures "I have been on Fycompa now for 8 weeks. Prior to that, I was having seizure clusters almost every other day. Two were so bad I ended up in Trauma with a scull fracture and a broken nose and cheek bone. I have noticed some minor mood swings but nothing serious. I have also noticed a increase in my appetite. I also take Keppra and Lamictal, so I am not sure if that makes it better. Just happy I haven't had any seizures in 7 weeks and counting.."

Anonymous April 3, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Epilepsy "This is a medication which I take for myself. Good points: It's very good at managing my form of epilepsy. My seizures are reduced remarkably, in direct relation to taking Fycompa. Bad points: I am having daily thoughts about suicide, I've never had this before taking Fycompa. And I've been on many Anti-Epileptic Medicines. This morning I was really suicidal. At a guess I'm one of those unlucky individuals who have increased psychiatric and behaviour problems in direct relation to this medicine. Now I'm in the position of making a decision about whether or not to continue using Fycompa and I'm having to make this very difficult decision with psychiatric issues."

UKman October 4, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Seizures "My boyfriend started this medication for better seizure control. He has had personality changes, confusion, aggression, hostility, delusions, depression and severe thought problems that caused him to have antipsychotic and antidepressant medication increased because of existing bipolar disorder. Our relationship is about over because of this medication. We will see the neurologist asap to see if he can get off this medicine. Scared because it's addictive. He had similar reactions to Vimpat with suicidal thoughts."

grace1159 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 27, 2014