User Reviews for Fycompa

Epilepsy
4.8

Summary of Fycompa reviews 5.2 29 reviews

Reviews for Fycompa

"I am taking 2 mg daily of Fycompa at night for Primary Orthostatic Tremor and have achieved complete control of my symptoms (tremors in the legs when standing still and tremor is the arms). I have had no adverse effects. I feel like a normal person again. I have gotten my life back again. I stopped taking Clonazepam during the day and also stopped taking Requip that was not helping much at all. I still take 0.5 mg of Clonazepam at night when I go to bed which helps to control my restless legs. This medication is like a miracle for me."

Dede (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 13, 2018

For Epilepsy "My 20 yr old just got prescribed this to gradually increase over 4 weeks from 2mg to 8mg. She is currently taking 500mg of Zonisamide. Her old neurologist wanted to do this a year ago and she decided not too after reading so many reviews about horrible side effects. I am really frightened about her going on Fycompa but her seizures have really increased so feel like we should."

Worriedmom July 13, 2018

For Epilepsy "Taking vimpat and breviact they put me on 4 mg been on about 4 wks now three days ago got up to go to the bathroom I fell on my face whole left side swollen my eye swollen shut after taking it within a half an hour I can't talk I can't walk my family says I sound like I'm drunk can't put any words together sleep late. Since I have falling down also still seizures 4 one day and 4 next so will not take this medication anymore. I am getting ready for brain surgery I chose to stop myself. Worst medication I have ever been on and I'm terrified of it, terrified. I will get up go to the bathroom fall and lights out I did choose to stop this medication myself as I said it's been approximately 3/4 weeks today I did have a bit of a breakdown I cried a lot but I think it's just because I'm so frustrated from falling the meds all the tests and getting ready for surgery I'm very happy I stopped it"

Jud (taken for less than 1 month) July 5, 2018

For Seizures "Took fycompa only for a month, just stopped taking it. I hate it, I take it at night before bed. Yet during the day I feel like complete garbage the whole day! Dizzy and feeling totally off felt so bad while taking it that I kept thinking a seizure is coming on but didn't. Haven't had a seizure while on it but I definitely am not continuing to take it and would not recommend it."

Lynn June 27, 2018

For Epilepsy "My husband has been taking this Gabapentin and Vimpat for a long time, yet still having seizures regularly. His doctor added Fycompa a little over a month ago for his temporal lobe seizures. Although Fycompa is definitely helping with his seizures, his personality and mental state has changed so much. He's very irritable and angry about everything and everyone. He's considered ending his life because he hates the person he's become. Yet, he didn't want to stop taking it because his seizures had diminished dramatically. Our daughter begged him tonight to stop taking it because she is so worried about him, as am I. That's what finally got his attention. He has decided to stop the Fycompa. We're hoping things get better very soon."

Cain (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 23, 2018

For Epilepsy "Female 27yo. Fycompa is the only medication that controls my epilepsy. However I’ve had the most terrible stomach problems from fycompa 8mg once a day. I can’t go a day without tums, omeprazole and famotidine. Doctors went ahead and gave me ondansetron as well. I’m pretty sure this medication has screwed up my stomach. Be forewarned that although it works.... it’s terrible on your stomach. Pros: controls epilepsy Cons: moody, sour stomach, throwing up, dizzy, nauseous, sweaty, weight gain, heartburn, lack of coordination (I walk like I’m drunk sometimes), can’t stop this med randomly as it causes worse seizures afterward, waking up at 5-6am from nausea."

Beeswapp (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 22, 2018

For Epilepsy "This was by far the worst drug that I've taken in my entire life. I thought Keppra was bad bc of the mood swings, but this drug was terrible for me. It made me a salty, unhappy person and that's unhealthy for you and others as well."

CT (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 8, 2018

For Epilepsy "I have spent about 1yr on this medication. No medication has ever worked for me before, so this was a first. I have Juvenile myoclonic epilepsy (JME). Anyway my biggest issues are: vertigo, nausea after every meal and nap, upset stomach, heart burn, drunk talking, unable to form words, unable to concentrate.... sleep a lot. I first also gained 30lbs but now I’m heading the other direction because I can barely tolerate food with my stomach. My doctor won’t listen to me and says that there’s no more selection. I hate this medication! I want my life back!"

Caroline3 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 19, 2018

For Epilepsy "I have been on every medication and Fycompa was the worst. I was prescribed 2mg in morning and evening. I would get so dizzy that I could not stand and walk. I do not think my vimpat and Fycompa mixed well. On my own I started cutting both so that I did not take them together. The dizziness was less, I could at least function but still a little dizzy. Now my new doctor is having me take fycompa every other day for 10 days and then take me off the Fycomp. He said that medicine last for 300 hours yes 300."

Anonymous February 5, 2018

For Seizures "My husband takes this Fycompa along with Zonegran and Lamictal. He is slowly coming off the Zonegran since starting. Hasn't had a seizure since he started 2 months ago but he has turned into the biggest Ass you have ever met. Told him the other night I think I might prefer the seizures over his personality change. I hope this levels out soon. I told him we should call it Fightcompa!"

DHarts (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2017

For Epilepsy "This medicine has made me more angry than usual and it doesn't help with my seizures. It also makes me sleepier than usual."

notyouraveragegrillxox (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 18, 2017

For Epilepsy "I have generalized epilepsy and very hard to control ... fycompa was working like the magical drug for the first 2 months then all the side effects hit me like a rock , the first was anger I would get mad and irritated very easy which wasn't like me and personality change is a big one ... being someone your not.. all the bad side effects I got . but seizure free now for a year.."

AB2001 August 28, 2017

For Epilepsy "My son had a tough case of seizures, that generally occurred overnight, and we had difficulty achieving seizure control. After exhausting many meds, a doctor told us we'd have a 3% chance of finding a medicine that would control his seizures. The seizures started right when he turned 4, he's now 5. Eventually the cocktail of Fycompa and oxcarbazepine did the trick; 10 months seizure free and counting. Also interesting to note is that he and I both have a genetic variant of unknown significance on the CACNA1A gene. I've never had seizures but he has. He is experiencing side effects, most noticeably, he gets groggy after taking the Fycompa and oxcarbazepine before bed. Also mood swings and behavior but part of that is being 5."

DaveGrohl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 13, 2017

For Epilepsy "Started on this medication during its study phase. Just makes me real tired and in a "fog" in the morning. If still up an hour after taking it I sometime feel "drunk", balance is altered."

Dhaniboi (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 7, 2017

For Epilepsy "I started on it during its study phase. The only side effects are it makes me very tired. And it does take me longer to wake up. I think it is an awesome medication."

Dhaniboi (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 19, 2017

For Epilepsy "In short term it made me crazy ! At first it controlled my seizures which had been under controlled but I had some break through seizures. I had a complete personality change. Didn't trust anyone. Pretty much 90% of the side effects that were on the warnings. After I read the pharmaceutical information I wondered how the FDA approved this drug. And when I was having to be weaned off the drug it was hell. Hallucinations, shakes, sweating. I assume what a drug addict would go through. I can't believe I am the only person who has experienced this. After this I of course was given another medication. Ever since I was given this medication I have had memory loss. My seizures have increased . Were for over 6 years were under control."

Take it off the Market! (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2017

For Epilepsy "I take Fycompa together with vimpat, lamotrigine, and levetiracetam. These drugs have made me seizure free. I had video EEG monitoring and this changed my life. My neurologist determined the lobe of my brain that was involved and placed me on the correct meds. If any of you cannot become seizure-free please ask your doctor to consider video EEG monitoring. Without this I would still have seizures."

NYY (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 7, 2017

For Epilepsy "I did a 6 week trial of this and it made me psychotic for about 2 hours once I had gotten my blood level up. High as a kite, aggressive and talking backwards. So I went off it and had terrible withdrawal in the form of depression and suicidal thoughts. I have temporal lobe epilepsy and I think I am on the more psychotic end of the spectrum so I was more vulnerable to those side effects. I was a second degree black belt at the time. I judge all drugs by my ability to do a decent back kick without falling over. It failed the back kick test as well."

danMom March 29, 2017

For Epilepsy "Good points: reduced my seizures and made me feel overall a lot more confident. If I ever had a seizure, I tended to know when it might occur and my 'trigger' points. Bad points: It made me in some ways over confident, to the point of feeling careless. Not so much suicidal, but thoughtless and self-indulgent. I would get angry easily. I work in a professional place and therefore had to taper down from it, though am still on a low dose."

1972 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 19, 2017

For Seizures "Fycompa is the best drug I have ever taken for seizures. I am nearly seizure free. When I now have a seizure I will stare for about two seconds. No falling or shaking. I have other meds but this is a life changer."

NYY (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 14, 2017

For Seizures "I tried this drug as part of a clinical trial for my 9 year old son. On the second night of taking the medicine he woke up having an over 7 minute seizure and stopped breathing during one of the clusters. His seizures were lasting 1 to 2 minutes prior and he has never stopped breathing. I had to call 911 which I've never had to do before. It was very scary. We have dropped out of the trial. I'm disappointed I was hoping this would help us as well as others."

Hds February 5, 2017

For Epilepsy "frequent bowel movements, later diarrea especially durning the morning hard to tell if it helped my seizures, as I had 4 seizures in a 5 month period"

never better January 6, 2017

For Epilepsy "I have been on this medication since the study for it started. Medicaid covers it totally because I am on Disabilty. I was taking three 4mg pills. I now take 12mg pills. But in my experience it turns me into a zombie so take it only after I am in bed. 1-2 hours after I take my other meds or I get goofy as hell and my partner says I slur like a very drunk person. But say I am asleep at midnight. If I wake up before 11:00 am I will be groggy for about 2 hours unless I have breakfast."

Dhani June 2, 2016

For Epilepsy "Starting any new seizure med to me is just straight up scary. I think they are running out of drugs to try. So I have to admit I was a bit worried when I heard the side effects. They have me listed as allergic to depakote, vimpat and keppra but honestly it was how nasty the side effects were. My personality hasn't changed at all on this drug. However, I never was an "active" sleeper which is what I turned into for awhile. It seems to be slowly going away but it was very weird waking up because I was dreaming I was swimming and hit the wall with my foot. As many people with epilepsy know not a horrible side effect. I was having petite mals daily and grand mals probably weekly. Since I started fycompa I have had two petite mal seizures."

Heather LM March 24, 2016

For Epilepsy "My daughter has had refractory epilepsy for 20yrs. She tried this drug in addition to the Vimpat and Topamax she is already taking. Huge mistake! Week 2 she became catatonic, delusional, and terrified. Her dad ,brother and I helped her through it. Called her neurologist and stopped the drug immediately. We are on day one without the Fycompa, our morning was consumed with a psychotic episode but after an hr and a half she came around. Lucky for her she doesn't remember much if anything of these events. I highly recommend you do your research before considering this drug. In my opinion it shouldn't be on the market."

MamaJenn (taken for less than 1 month) March 16, 2016