User Reviews for OxyContin

OxyContin has an average rating of 8.5 out of 10 from a total of 284 ratings on Drugs.com. 82% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 6% reported a negative experience.

Pain
8.8
Chronic Pain
Summary of OxyContin reviews 8.5 284 reviews

Reviews for OxyContin

JAS 21 · December 21, 2020

For Chronic Pain: “OxyContin was life restoring for me. I never got high and when my doctor left practice, I tapered myself off without any problems or addiction. Of course, I am suffering greatly because I have to deal with the severe intractable chronic pain again. I was hit twice by an 18-wheeler in the same accident. That, along with several autoimmune disorders, and two rare diseases keep me from participating in life. Unfortunately because some people choose to be stupid and take illicit drugs to get high, those with severe intractable chronic pain are made to suffer, even though we have the lowest rate of addiction and abuse 0.3%. Now it's nearly impossible to get adequate (or any) opioid pain mgmt!”

Limitless Beast · June 16, 2019

For Chronic Pain: “My father has been on this drug for over 25 years and I have been by his side the entire 21 years I have been alive and I have never once seen him misuse the drug, sell it or abuse it in any way shape or form. He has 6 herniated disks in his back, a bad knee and a bad hip. He is able to run his business and be extremely productive when he has his medication as he is not in pain when he does. But the DEA has started cutting people down simply because some doctors and some patients abused it. Because of the few the majority are being hurt. I bet if the person at the DEA had anyone they know or themselves where in pain they would NEVER make such a careless move as to make doctors afraid to prescribe it in fear of losing their licence to practice. This drug is a miracle drug and I have seen so much good come from it. Especially my father being able to live a normal life with the medication (:”

Not Heard · Taken for 10 years or more · January 16, 2019

For Chronic Pain: “I am a 62 year old mom of 5, wife for 35 years. About 20 years ago I was being treated for chronic bilateral back pain with sciatica, herniated disc, lumbar degenerative disc disease. That being said, I was prescribed 80 mg of Oxycontin 3 times daily with Oxycodone 30mg immediate release for break through pain. It was life saving!!!! I was able to function, work at our business, take care of my family and do everyday tasks. Now, because of the "OPIOD CRISIS", my Dr. tells me, I no longer can take this medication, and has taken me down to 30mg of Oxycontin 2 times per day and 20 mg Oxycodone up to 2 times daily! BTW, since the very first diagnosis I described, I now have Scoliosis of thoracolumbar spine and postural kyphosis of the thoracic region. So, from someone like myself, I don't abuse, sell, or give out my medication, why do I along with so many people like me, have to be taken off a medication that offers them to live a somewhat productive life with almost bearable pain???”

Anonymous · April 15, 2008

For Pain: “Ahhhh, the dreaded drug...no matter what you call it, by whatever media-scare tactic out there, what isn't trumpeted are the success stories....why is that? Does something have to be "Negative" to garner press? And if so, why is that? My story: Two brain surgeries. Manmouth amounts of pain. I tried everything -- nothing lasted like this drug. It has allowed me to go back to work, to live my life, to be a father to my children. Screw the strange looks @the pharmacy...I'm alive!”

Chiillychopper · Taken for 10 years or more · December 9, 2019

For Chronic Pain: “I've been taking 80mg IR oxycontin for 15yrs. With 30mg IR morpine I have stage 3 lung cancer and colon cancer. My pain doctor stop the 80s with no warning. I suffer for three months on withdrawals had to go to ER a lot. My pain has increased and the pain doctor well do nothing. He scare of losing his licence. Now ER wants nothing to do with me. So I cry a lot seating at home wishing somebody would do something.. I don't understand how they can't help me with the pain. I k Now they close down Purde all those billion the lawyers took but what us the people suffering from pain. Nobody cares about us.”

gimmedatOC · August 26, 2010

For Pain: “OxyContin has helped me so much to live my life. I have no arms and only one leg from an IED when I was in Afghanistan. I suffer from Phantom limb pain and numerous other problems, but I don't care, because had I not got in the way of the blast then a 2 year old and 3 year old would have died, so I'm fine with how I look. OxyContin has made the pain bearable. ”

crossedwires · June 27, 2009

For Pain: “To keep this within limits I will not get detailed on the benefits of Oxycontin. As you can read on the other forums it works. I take 80mg 3x a day and it works great. Been on it for 5 years now and liver test done last month was excellent. I am tired of the bad rap this medicine gets though. There are even sites devoted to its removal by people who have lost loved ones who abused the drug. While I feel for these people, no one told anyone abuse this wonderful drug. When taken properly this medicine works excellent with little to no side effects. It is said that you become dependent on this medicine but it is meant for long term and a good doctor will bring you down properly. So withdrawals should be minimum. This is a true wonder drug.”

Veeta · Taken for 10 years or more · April 22, 2020

For Chronic Pain: “My problems are like many that I've read on this site. I take 20 mg. oxycodone (not oxycontin) x 4 daily. It does enough so that I can have a life. Still in pain, but as someone wrote, just tamping down the pain is all you can expect. I just wonder why oxycodone worked when pure morphine did nothing for pain but going thru withdrawal from it was pure nightmare. I have tried taking myself off oxycodone a few times because I feel ashamed about taking it, you know, can't just keep a stiff upper lip. Withdrawal from oxycodone was a walk in the park. How can you take a drug like morphine that has absolutely no effect while oxycodone does help some with fewer side effects. It just doesn't make sense. I have come to the conclusion that I am stuck on pain killers for the rest of my life and just don't talk about it. Maybe they will develop a drug that kills the pain and doesn't cause addiction or dependence. Why are we still taking drugs that haven't really changed in 60 years or so?”

Alwaysanurseatheart · October 31, 2013

For Pain: “After severely injuring my back while lifting a patient, herniating three discs, three failed back surgeries and multiple ineffective pain relief measures I finally accepted that I will need medication until a cure for spinal nerve damage is found. Using oxycodone means I can walk my dog, keep my house neat, enjoy life with my husband and live life again. I am scruptiously careful about how much I take and keep them under lock and key for the safety of my grandchildren. With great care this drug can give you your life back. However if a person doesn't take very seriously the potential addiction properties it can make a bad situation worse.”

Anonymous · April 20, 2008

For Pain: “For years I suffered from severe back pain and despite medical records from specialists I was treated like a street level drug abuser by at least 20 different doctors. I was past the end of my rope. Two years ago I found a doctor who had compassion and put me on Oxycontin and now I actually have a very productive life!”

beachwoman · Taken for 5 to 10 years · May 29, 2014

For Chronic Pain: “It is a real shame that the oxycontin ER has been reformulated. I started taking 40 mg 3 times a day 5 years ago after having to quit my job after 45 years of service and going on disability. It gave me so much relief that I was able to do things I was unable to do for a very long time. After the reformulation I went through real bad withdrawals because the medication was no longer as effective as it had been. I finally got through that and now I am struggling with all of the problems I had before I started taking it. I'm still taking it but I am suffering with severe fatigue and can barely get out of the bed in the morning and have very little energy. I can no longer work in my garden or walk my dogs & have to learn to live this way again!”

Sarah · Taken for 2 to 5 years · October 29, 2018

For Chronic Pain: “My doctor prescribed OxyContin after I'd been hit by an 18 wheeler, rolled down an embankment, and fractured my spine. I'd been taking high doses of acetaminophen for years and had liver damage from Halothane gas and then acetaminophen. He wanted me to take a single dose opioid so that I wasn't taking more acetaminophen. Taking OxyContin was incredible. For the first time in years my pain was under control. I took it for 3 years... Until the "guidelines" went into effect. I successfully weaned myself off with no help and without incident. However, I've been bedridden for over two years because I've now exhausted all other things that have been suggested. Injections quit working, I've been to PT numerous times, taken anti seizure meds, psychotropic meds, and now I've given up. Unfortunately, I'm back to high doses acetaminophen just to take a shower or sit up and chat for 1/2 hr. ”

pigeontoe · Taken for 10 years or more · February 7, 2013

For Pain: “I have been dealing with chronic back, neck, hip, knee and both ankles pain for ten years now. I'm 48yrs I've always worked until my body broke down. If were not for the Oxycontin, I would be bedridden and in a wheelchair. When taken appropriately this is a miracle. ”

Anonymous · March 6, 2008

For Pain: “I was recently prescribed this medication and it has worked wonders for my pain. The only drawback is that many pharmacy's in my area aren't carrying it because of its negative press, and I felt like I was being treated like I was a drug addict at each pharmacy I went too. Oh well.”

Heretohelp12 · August 8, 2009

For Pain: “Works miracles for Fibromyalgia. I don't ever want to experience the pain of a nerve attack without Oxycontin ever again. I'm 19, so I can't just stay home and suffer and lounge around. I have a life to live, and if it weren't for Oxycontin I wouldn't be able to perform simple every day tasks. I will say though it is much, much safer to stay with the lowest possible dose, which are the 10mg ones (I don't take generics so there are probably lower doses, I just don't know of them). If you use Oxycontin in moderation and as prescribed it is easy to control dependency. They also work great for Rheumatoid Arthritis. Hope this helps.”

Em · Taken for 10 years or more · July 26, 2018

For Chronic Pain: “This "awful drug" as reported by the media and the internet, has become the evil of prescription pain medication. But what you don't read or hear about is the thousands of people who's lives are made bearable by the use of this medication. I have had multiple major surgeries following a lifting injury 18 years ago which left me with severe chronic pain caused from nerve damage during surgery. I have successfully taken 30 mg of oxycontin 3 x day for 15 years without ever needing to increase the dosage. The misconception is that pain medication will take away the pain...which is wrong. Pain medication should only be used to take the EDGE off the pain, not eliminate it. Oxycontin can be successfully used to take away enough of the pain over an 8-12 hour period for the patient to be able to at least function. Taking higher doses in order to eliminate the pain is where patients get in trouble, and can have fatal consequences.”

charliann · November 3, 2009

For Pain: “I suffer from degenerative disc disease. For years I was unable to live a normal functioning life. My Doc had me taking 4/10mg Norcos & 4/30mg Morphine pills daily. While they gave me some relief, I was still in a great deal of pain and felt like I was taking pills all the time. I spoke to my Doc about my continuing pain and the constant pill popping with minimal relief. She told me about Oxycontin. She said that she didn't normally prescribe it and only had one other patient on it but, I could try it to see if it gave me any better relief. I take 3/40mg Oxycontins daily now and the difference in my life is amazing. I hate the way people treat me when they learn that I am taking Oxy. It works wonders so get off our backs.”

ThanksOxy · April 4, 2008

For Pain: “I was on Oxycodone 5/325 for about two years and my Doctor switched me to 3 20 MG OC's a day. i have been taking them for about 6 months now and I feel like a new person. i have Chronoc Nerological lower back pain. This drug has changed my life. i am able to roll around the floor with my kids again and do many things I could not do in the past. Great drug, but very addicting. If you take this med, take it exactlt as the Doctor advises. best pain Med out there. I have been through them al”

BS · Taken for 10 years or more · August 28, 2020

“I have debilitating pain from RSD, CRPS, Levoscoliosis, Raynaud's Syndrome, Peripheral neuropathy. It can drop me to my knees crying. I was diagnosed in 1997 with Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. It has advanced into several forms of nerve damage. I've had many different treatments. I have been on oxycontin and oxycodone for many years. It has given me enough relief to be a productive person with little to no side effects. My doctors have been tapering my medications because the AG and Feds want people off, even if it helps. And insurance does not want to pay anymore. It makes me want to give up. I'm so tired of been dictated as to what is best for me. They are so wrong!”

Dustinb85 · Taken for 2 to 5 years · May 23, 2014

For Chronic Pain: “OxyContin seems to work really well for pain. But there is that is a few cons about this medicine for me is that my body would get used to to it and I would need to up the dose. I went from 10mg (2x a day) all the way up to 30 mg (2x a day) It has always only lasted tops 7 hours instead of the advertised 12. It without question has never lasted 12 hours. When I started taking this medicine by the 7 hour my legs would really be on fire again like clock work. So 2 pills would last 14 hours instead of 24 like the manufacturer says. So if you take this medicine make sure you get some breakthrough medicine. Make sure you take Exlax with this medicine. You will be constipated.”

Anonymous · May 1, 2009

For Pain: “With degenerative bone disease, my lumbar spine shows up 'black' in x-rays, and nobody will do another surgery on me. So I've been on everything under the sun since 1999, but they all made me too loopy. Then the wonder drug Oxycontin was prescribed to me, and my life was given back. I could clean my house, play with my children basically get off the couch and out of my wheelchair. I can walk now, barely use my cane anymore. I am so sick of the bad press, the drug tests, etc.”

budss101 · October 12, 2009

For Pain: “I am 58 yrs old. In my teens and early 20s I played sports and have had numerous spine injury's. So far I have had 5 spine surgery, Radiation for cancer. I have lived with constant pain that is unbelievable. My quality of life was poor to say the least although I have be very active in hunting and fishing sports despite the pain. This drug is a life saver, any and every drug can be misused, the government has the Doctor community afraid of their own shadows on this drug, but properly used for folks like me it has no equal. My quality of life without this drug would be zero, side effects are there but manageable. If you are living with severe pain, seek out a Doctor that with prescribe this drug for you, and monitor you for the side effects.”

Xop · February 1, 2016

For Chronic Pain: “Was taking 10mg oxycodone 6 times a day for an operation that went horribly wrong. I was always dizzy nauseous and tired. Started ocycontin 20mg twice a day and changed my life. Less percs feel almost normal. Now if the pharmacists wouldn't treat US like dirt life would be good. Highly recommend”

Bentit696 · February 24, 2020

For Chronic Pain: “I’m a registered nurse and home care in 2013 my car spun out and I had numerous injuries including a Trumatic brain injury, three fractured vertebrae, lacerated spleen, and three broken ribs. Since 2013 open till 2019 I had chronic pain day in day out around the clock even when I took Tylenol. One day I went to my doctor in tears because I try taking a night class but the driving and sitting in my car cause me too much pain. So she suggested I go to a pain center for treatment. Lo and behold I was prescribed 10 mg of oxycodone three times a day which I’ve been taking for over a year now and I wake up in the morning I take my medication I have level one pain which is basically not much.”

SD · Taken for less than 1 month · May 5, 2020

For Chronic Pain: “I was on 4 x 5mg Oxycodone IR for my pain. After a year or so, I felt I needed an extra pill to cover me for 24hrs. Doctor switched me to OxyNeo 2x 10mgs every 12 hours plus 5mg of Oxycodone for breakthrough if needed. The first 2 days I felt great, Oxyneo took care of the pain and I did not feel drowsy or tired. However after the 3rd day, I started feeling very aggitated and angry after I took my oxyneo. I'm not sure what's going on. Has anyone reacted like this to long acting oxycodone? Too bad because I liked this long acting one but feeling angry all day is not worth it either.”