User Reviews for OxyContin

Chronic Pain
7.9

Summary of OxyContin reviews 8.6 270 reviews

Reviews for OxyContin

For Chronic Pain "My doctor prescribed OxyContin after I'd been hit by an 18 wheeler, rolled down an embankment, and fractured my spine. I'd been taking high doses of acetaminophen for years and had liver damage from Halothane gas and then acetaminophen. He wanted me to take a single dose opioid so that I wasn't taking more acetaminophen. Taking OxyContin was incredible. For the first time in years my pain was under control. I took it for 3 years... Until the "guidelines" went into effect. I successfully weaned myself off with no help and without incident. However, I've been bedridden for over two years because I've now exhausted all other things that have been suggested. Injections quit working, I've been to PT numerous times, taken anti seizure meds, psychotropic meds, and now I've given up. Unfortunately, I'm back to high doses acetaminophen just to take a shower or sit up and chat for 1/2 hr. "

Sarah (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 29, 2018

For Chronic Pain "I've been a chronic pain patient 5 years now. doctor said try Oxycontin. It would last longer. Tried it for a week. Bad Choice for me as my pain in morning was a 10 but after trying this pill pain dropped to a 7 which is not terrible but it's not good. Pills were supposed to last 12 hours nope. Bed time took pill and it helped me sleep. But I would wake up five times a night scratching myself. I think Oxycontin bad choice. The oxycodone fast-acting pills work better because they work super fast. Oxycontin not what advertised. I expected more out of this medication. I need fast acting meds period. I would say give Oxycontin a chance may work for you but don't get your hopes up like I did. On top of that most won't cover it because of the government. The government is pushing back and do not want anybody on these powerful medications And I can't afford to pay out of pocket at $3000 per 100 pills. that just can't happen and that is just way too much money . Especially if on Medicaid or Medicare that are disabled."

Rellik0078 September 18, 2018

For Chronic Pain "This "awful drug" as reported by the media and the internet, has become the evil of prescription pain medication. But what you don't read or hear about is the thousands of people who's lives are made bearable by the use of this medication. I have had multiple major surgeries following a lifting injury 18 years ago which left me with severe chronic pain caused from nerve damage during surgery. I have successfully taken 30 mg of oxycontin 3 x day for 15 years without ever needing to increase the dosage. The misconception is that pain medication will take away the pain...which is wrong. Pain medication should only be used to take the EDGE off the pain, not eliminate it. Oxycontin can be successfully used to take away enough of the pain over an 8-12 hour period for the patient to be able to at least function. Taking higher doses in order to eliminate the pain is where patients get in trouble, and can have fatal consequences."

Em (taken for 10 years or more) July 26, 2018

For Chronic Pain "I was hit by an 18-wheeler. I fractured my spine. My doctor prescribed OxyContin because I'd been taking high doses of acetaminophen for years, which affected my liver. I took OxyContin successfully for 3 yrs 'til the US government decided chronic pain patients are expendable. I successfully weaned off of OxyContin, W/O ANY help! My dr made sure I had enough to wean off b4 he left his practice. Reality: Only 0.3 percent of chronic pain pts ever become addicted. The US government has recently admitted to fraudulent and over stated numbers, elevated by over 50 percent! I've done every other treatment recommended by doctors, most incredibly expensive & invasive. Nothing worked & I've been bedridden for the past 3 plus yrs."

Gems21 July 23, 2018

For Pain "Very helpful"

Loopy July 12, 2018

For Pain "Using 20mg Oxycontin x 3 tabs a day, its very good for pain, as good as morphine I believe. At first I felt sick, and puked repeatedly, after 4 days nausea settled down. I been on same dose for 5 years, the way I did it is to expect and live with some pain, if breakthrough occurs then lie down, deal with that and do not up the dose, for the most part it works well. There are no prescribing issues as I am in UK and there's no problem here, and it's OC that I get and not OP. Overall a decent painkiller if used sparingly, try to resist the extra breakthrough meds."

Mikey111 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 5, 2018

For Chronic Pain "Only thing that actually worked on my chronic back pain and for broken collarbone. Too bad idiots make it harder on those of us who actually need pain relief."

cteevan (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 4, 2018

For Pain "OxyContin was a godsend when I was recovering from invasive cancer surgery. I never needed an increase In dosage and I was able to stop on my own without my oncologists help."

Lucia1999 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 8, 2018

For Chronic Pain "Severely hurt my neck all the way to my lower back. Was recently prescribed 30mg IR twice daily. I want to say this: For people suffering tremendous excruciating pain it is an amazing excellent medication because it takes my pain away right away. However, for me it is way to strong and can’t function on it and when taken at night I can’t wake up in the morning. I have made an appointment to go back to my doctor and go back on Vicodin. To anyone reading: please don’t abuse or take unless you really need it, and for those taking it just to get high out there, stop! You are ruining it for the responsible people suffering and are risking their well being for your selfish actions. I was responsible enough it was too strong for me. Please listen!!!"

Xtozzz (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 29, 2017

For Chronic Pain "I find oxycontin very effective but it took some time to get it to where it was most effective. I found most surprising that higher doses caused more pain. My doctor is great. He worked WITH me to adjust it many up & down on dosage. Best of all WE were able to find a low dose of Oxycontin & Oxycodone combination that has worked consistently for over a year now without adjustments. Fiñd a doc that is also a real partner in your health care!!!!!"

AmmAGator December 25, 2017

For Chronic Pain "Both meds Oxycontin & Roxicodone are some of the best pain meds on the market-HANDS DOWN! I've been on as much as two 80 mg Oxycontin & six Roxi 30's a day & was on that regiment for 8 years. I have had 5 back surgeries & have rods from the bottom of my neck to the top of my ass . I have all kinds of nerve damage in my left leg & feet & cramp something awful if I don't take meds. I took all that medicine with 3 Soma daily-3 zanex bars daily-100MG ZOLOFT DAILY-Neurontin 900mg daily-And as I said to start, both those pain meds are highly recommended & trust me, I have the experience lol"

CANESRUS (taken for 10 years or more) December 19, 2017

For Chronic Pain "Why are the reports for Public to read so jaded against the use of opiate medications? To many false reports of abuse in chronic pain patients are mixed with clearly reports of heroin abuse & deaths from heroin. My self & most chronic pain patients who are well educated on side effects before starting opiates all agree that the misuse of these Opiates would never enter our minds. When prescribed these drugs, it’s result is the re gift of our lives & functioning again. It is something we’d never chance losing after suffering the complete loss of sanity from unending pain that effects our ability to function in every way that a normal human takes for granted of everyday, every minute of their day and of their life. I'm in my 17th years of receiving pain relief fentenyl."

hottina44 (taken for 10 years or more) November 13, 2017

For Chronic Pain "Been changed from oxynorm to shortec the packets are constantly pierced and tablets empty and doctors blame room temperature. Have moved them to various rooms and still having same issue"

scatty (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 2, 2017

For Chronic Pain "I was given oxycontin after morphine tablets didn't do much for the pain I was in. 90mg SR morphine and topped up with oramorph throughout the day. Then transferred onto oxycontin which was prescribed for me in a 40+20mg dose of slow release and topped up with the liquid form for through the day, but when I needed a repeat prescription I was told that I wouldn't be given any more. Even though I had taken these for over two months and the morphine for the four months previously. After reading some of the articles I shouldn't have been taken off these straight away. So much for being professional doctors or just wanting to save money over patients welfare.."

Markus anthonio June 22, 2017

For Chronic Pain "I am a double amputee with both hips totally replaced. Degenerative arthritis was the reason for the replacements. I am 64 and oxycodone 10mg. three times daily returned my life to me after 11 surgeries. Four months ago, my PCD (primary care doctor said he could no longer prescribe them. I have been in a wheelchair since the removal. Being in a nursing facility was my only option. I get to see a pain management doctor soon and hope I can get my meds back, along with my life."

henqck April 23, 2017

For Chronic Pain "I have taken this drug for over 20 years for chronic pain. If I stop 1 person from starting this drug, then this has been worth it. Initially it was the best pain reliever I ever tried. Problem is it is very addictive and stops working. The only way to sustain relief is to increase the dosage. I started at 60 MG and wound up at 200mg. Unfortunately at that dosage over the years causes brain cell deterioration. Remembering things becomes difficult, like family functions. In time you become a walking zombie and numb to everything around you. You will lose interest in life and become drug sick if you Don't take your pill on time. Your relief will no longer be there because it stops working after time. I am off now and have my life back."

Sissynoor April 4, 2017

For Chronic Pain "Have had chronic pain since I was 14 (now 60). Have tried every RX suggested, multiple pain clinics, too many surgeries to count, exercise, meditation, acupuncture, hypnotherapy, with nothing gained but side effects or increasing tolerance. I have been taking Oxycontin for 10 yrs and have since been able to put the pain on a back burner and get back to my life. The 'pendulum swings' as they say, continued back & forth medical opinions on treatment of chronic pain. The insurance companies now seem to be in complete control again and cost becomes the number one consideration in prescribed treatment. Matters not what my Dr. says or recommends, the cost is such that as of this month I can no longer take Oxycontin. I am so tired, back to bed I go"

2xpnsv2trt April 4, 2017

For Chronic Pain "I have severe lower back pain. It's mechanical and stretching helps but it's not enough to stop this kind of pain. I started on bupe but it was not enough. I tried Oxycodone at 10mg not helping. OxyContin that lasts many hours at around 40mg works. If I do stuff around the house or walk for a while I need to take 20mg oxycondone on top. I have done this for two years. I think this is a good drug. However, I'm thinking about going back to bupe as the stretching may have helped over the last year. I won't know unless I try."

J-James (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 18, 2017

For Chronic Pain "For Chronic Pain: I take 40 mg oxycontin 3 times per day. I had c3-c7 laminectomy, fusion, two plates. Degenerative disc disease, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, severe spinal stenosis, regional pain syndrome, bulging disks at t4-t5 and pinched spinal cord in 3 places with severe nerve damage. I was on Morphine Sulfate 30mg for 3 years, now I take the oxycontin with occasional breakthrough meds. I have found 90% of the time, if I take my meds at the same time every day it works just fine, with the occasional bad day here and there. Overall it has worked well for me. I have been on it for a year now."

Bear 75 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 12, 2017

For Chronic Pain "They don't work. I take 7.5 mg of percocet for break through pain. I've been in agonizing pain for a year. Possibly having surgery soon. Any suggestions to talk to my dr about . This is horrible with no quality of life."

Rpal (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 24, 2016

For Chronic Pain "I have chronic back pain from degenerative disc disease. I have disc herniations from L-2, L-3 down to L-5, S-1; along with spinal stenosis-different moderations depending on the disc and spinal arthritis. To answer someone's question about how many OxyContin 80 ER pills can be prescribed per day. Legally, the answer is 4- 2 in the morning and 2 at night-which is what I receive; at one time they made 160mg OxyContin but they are no longer produced in the US. To whomever said they were prescribed 8 of them a day- illegal or not from the US. It is an extended release medication meant to last 12 hours. I will be the first to say when they switched to the new for Formula, I didn't feel as though they were as effective and went from 2-4."

Nolamom2three (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 19, 2016

For Chronic Pain "i am trying to get info on what the max dose should be-I was on eight 80mgs a day-new dr brought me down to three-its not enough-I have been pleading with him for 6 months now-I have been taking them since they first came out and 900 mgs of morphine b4 that-broke my back at 14 I have 6 fused vertebrae with 2 9" herrington rods in my back-2 collapsed discs and full of arthritis I run out early every week I am 65-did all the other things -steroids hydro therapy etc etc-name it I tried I just need 1 pill back per day-any advice?"

paulagy (taken for 10 years or more) November 10, 2016

For Chronic Pain "I have been taking Oxy ER 20mg 3x day plus up to 8 Oxy IR 5mg for the past 7 years. It has been a Godsend for me. I was in bad car accident in 2008 in which I suffered from a bruised spinal cord plus it worsened already bad Degenerative Disc Disease,Arthritis and Spinal Stenosis. In June 2009 I had a spinal fusion on my neck levels 5-7. After both I was left with horrible arm , shoulder and neck pain and mobility issues in my neck. I work a lot on the computer and meeting with people, If not for the medication I would not be able to work. I still have some pain but it is more of a tolerable background pain instead of a full nerve toothache Please folks use responsibly, many of us need it to live and function. I worry it will go away"

Soccergal10 September 16, 2016

For Chronic Pain "I've had orbital implants,kneck surgery, and I am a juvenile diabetic since I was a year old now I'm 50. the pain in my head,kneck, and right arm and the neuropathy in both feet r very very painful. I've been on doxycycline x 6 yrs. it works great but if your treating chronic pain take it when it's time don't wait till pain it at its worse it works consistently better."

Christine C. August 29, 2016

For Chronic Pain "I was in a severe ATV accident when I was 15 (am now 18), and have currently had 26 surgeries mostly on my right hand. Once I was released a few months later, docs basically turned me from a 3 sport athlete to a living zombie. I was taking over 25-30 different medications everyday; mostly pain meds. I remember just poping them like candy. I was on 80mg of MS Contin x4 a day, 30mg oxycodone x5, 30mg morphine x3, 100mcg's fentanyl, 2mg Xanax x3, 4mg x4 Dilaudid and numerous other anti-depressants that I am still on to this day. I don't understand how doctors can prescribe such obscene amounts of opiates when it's pharmastists who study drug interactions as their profession. Am currently working to become a 3 fingered anesthesiologist :)"

Nate-becarefulwhatyoutake August 22, 2016