User Reviews for OxyContin

Learn more about OxyContin.

OxyContin Rating Summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 1852 medications used in the treatment of Pain.

Reviews for OxyContin to treat Pain

"OxyContin allowed me to recover from cancer surgery without any complications. I did have some unpleasant side effects like constipation. But it was totally worth the pain relief I got from surgery."

Lucia1999 June 11, 2016

"I have suffered RLS since about 5 years of age. Now 78. Nothing would stop it - neurologists tried all usual medication, permoglide, rivotril, etc. Then saw new GP in 60's who also suffered badly and he had in desperation tried oxycontin with great relief. Suggested I tried one 10 mg tablet before going to bed or when travelling as passenger in car - this was intolerable. Found tablet worked like magic and although reliant on it still take same 10 mg but one tablet first thing in morning and one prior to going to bed - about 1 hour before. Found it does not always work at night so I can be up until 3 am walking the floor nearly going insane as pain in legs is so bad. However, 90% of time I do get incredible benefit."

Former sleep deprived walker (taken for 10 years or more) April 4, 2016

"I was in a near fatal car accident when I was 18, I was on Morphine for 6 months. After 30 years it is catching up to me. I am in some pain now most of the time. With Oxycodone I am able to make it through the day, and work. Caution during use, if used for over 90 days, dependency could occur easily. Please be aware of this."

OregonRock (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2015

"Almost no pain after taking it and a great amount of energy"

jolie42 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 17, 2015

"I had three surgeries in 3 weeks and oxy really kept the pain under control. I have since run out and the Dr. doesn't want to refill so I'm now suffering along with only Tylenol. :)"

MN Guy July 18, 2015

"I'm 19 years old and have been suffering from severe testicular and groin pain for the past 5 months, due to a sports injury. It prevented me from doing the things I had previously loved doing, I couldn't go back to school, and I'd be in bed all day. But now that my pain doctor has put me on OxyContin 20 mg twice a day, I feel like I'm getting my life back. This medication keeps my pain at bay. Before, I'd be going through an average of 8/10 pain everyday, but OxyContin miraculously brings it down to a 2-3! I really mean it when I say OxyContin is a Godsend for a male who's going through testicular pain caused by numerous problems. Best of all it doesn't make me tired so I can properly function throughout the day!"

Johnathan1995 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 26, 2015

"I got into a bad auto accident and got put on Oxycontin 40mg twice a day and it has been working great for months."

JonnySFL (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 5, 2015

"Fractured left humerus & greater trochanter. Much difficulty sleeping, this medicatin helpful in controlling the pain"

Mommablumie January 6, 2015

"After severely injuring my back while lifting a patient, herniating three discs, three failed back surgeries and multiple ineffective pain relief measures I finally accepted that I will need medication until a cure for spinal nerve damage is found. Using oxycodone means I can walk my dog, keep my house neat, enjoy life with my husband and live life again. I am scruptiously careful about how much I take and keep them under lock and key for the safety of my grandchildren. With great care this drug can give you your life back. However if a person doesn't take very seriously the potential addiction properties it can make a bad situation worse."

Alwaysanurseatheart October 31, 2013

227 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Have had leg/hip pain for over a year now. My doctor finally put me on OxyContin, and it works fantastic, however, I am concerned about the problem of becoming dependent on this medication. This should not be a long term medication. "

Tom M in PA July 18, 2013

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been dealing with chronic back, neck, hip, knee and both ankles pain for ten years now. I'm 48yrs I've always worked until my body broke down. If were not for the Oxycontin, I would be bedridden and in a wheelchair. When taken appropriately this is a miracle. "

pigeontoe (taken for 10 years or more) February 7, 2013

199 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have suffered from a double fusion on my lumbar spine since 2006. I have tried every known pain medicine in the book with no success until the doctor prescribed the last and only medicine that actually worked, OxyContin. "

Greg E. (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 5, 2012

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"15mg IR 4 times a day, need knee surgery and can't afford it, this medicine has given me my way of life back."

Anonymous August 27, 2012

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have had 13 back surgeries since 1997 after a car accident I also have a spinal stimulater in me. I take 20mg Oxycontin four times a day and 10/325 Percocet 5 times a day. My pain stays about the same, some days I can't walk. "

buzzard156 August 20, 2012

"I have been on every ER pain medicine except for methadone. OxyContin is changing my life drastically for the better. I can now walk longer distances, help around the house, play with the kids and much, much more. In short this medicine is a life changer. I switched from fentanyl which always made me tired and grumpy. God bless my patient wife. I have a new life and I'm so grateful!"

Grateful Guy (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 26, 2012

121 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I see so many people here rating this medicine as a lifesaver, and especially thankful because it allows them to play with their kids. Its the same for me. I still have a very low quality of life and spend a lot of time in bed, but without it I would barely be human."

Daily headache July 23, 2012

"I'm a little skeptical because I actually withdrew a little from MS-Contin (morphine) when I switched to Oxycontin. So far it is working but I hear Morphine is the more potent of the 2. MS-Contin stopped working after 3 or 4 months.So 5 days into this Oxycontin it seems to be helping. I'm staying hopeful."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2012

"This is the best medicine for pain."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 13, 2012

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Great"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 12, 2012

"Oxycontin, gave me my life back. I have taken literally every pain medicine combination known to man. This medicine is the one that has given me my ability to walk again without pain. My case was a very bad coal mining accident back in 2006. I have had five knee and leg surgeries, both shoulders reconstructed and my hips operated on three times. So I lived a very miserable life until I was put on this medicine by my family doctor. All the doctors at the pain clinic I was going to had me on medicines like Opana or Fentanyl and lots more."

kawa-god (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 11, 2012

"I've been on the 60mg twice a day for over 2 years now with Roxicodone 30mg every six hours for breakthrough pain, works better for me than Avinza, High dose Norco, and even the Fentanyl Patches 25mcg-75mcg. It has given my life back, I do recommend you talk to your doctor and get on this medicine, the old version that had OC and 60 was a lot better than the newer OP/60, but eventually your body gets used to it. Just be careful take it as directed. The only side effect is constipation, but otherwise a God-Send!"

Greenboy19 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 30, 2012

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Made me feel a lot better and able to walk further and do day to day things."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 20, 2012

"Took it twice and vomited both times."

Anonymous June 7, 2012

"I have fibromyalgia and I'm 31. I'm on disability now because the job I had for 10 years said I couldn't work there because I take 2 x 10mg a day of Oxycontin. At least now I can live a life. Play with my kids wash my car...etc. Before all I did was suffer at work and my work performance was so poor they even tried to fire me.....or get me to resign."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 29, 2012

"I have chronic thoracic back pain. I've been through nerve blocks, acupuncture, physical therapy, 3 chiropracters, 2 orthopedic surgeons, 1 neurosurgeon, 2 pain doctor's. Vicodin, Percocet, Kadian (very expensive). Insurance refused to pay anymore finally switched to oxycodone. Still have breakthrough pain with to much physical activity. "

robair1 March 22, 2012