User Reviews for Remeron

7.3

Major Depressive Disorder

Summary of Remeron reviews 7.4 143 reviews

Reviews for Remeron

For Major Depressive Disorder "I've been on Remeron and Abilify for a month now and I can say it is true to what the doctor says it is. I paid 8 a piece for them both, at my insurance's expense. When I first started , the first two days were horrible. I was drained and hungry as heck, but my body adapted quick. I lost 25 lbs before taking remeron and so far my weight has increased by 5 to 6lbs. I have nightmares almost every night and mood swings when I don't eat.. but thats just the downside. Overall the medicine helps me sleep, eat and feel better. I just have to get my rump back into the act of working out to avoid weight. Stay positive lovebugs <3"

Rockel (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 9, 2018

For Depression "I tried various antidepressants for years including therapy and Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS). I also took clonazepan for anxiety. For about two years I was a mess, extremely tired, very anxious and miserable. Thoughts of suicide very frequent. My psychiatrist told me to get a second opinion. Very hard to do when you feel awful, but keep on trying hoping there will be a better cocktail around the corner. I now take zoloft 100 mg in the morning and remeron 30 mg before bed time (clonazepan very seldom) it makes me very tired and I feel strange although there were a few times that it really helped. Zoloft and remeron did it for me. I sleep great and feel much better. Keep alcohol at a minimum. Best of luck........"

Tenatious (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 8, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I love love love Remeron. I have been severely depressed for more than a decade. I was on bupriopion before, but then had a seizure on it and could no longer continue. I had not taken any helpful medication for years after that. I told my doctor my problems and with the things that I was looking to have alleviated, he recommended Remeron. I have had extreme appetite suppression for a long time as well due to my depression, and I needed a medication to increase my appetite. I was having trouble sleeping due to overthinking at night. I had a lot of ideation. Remeron helped me with all of these symptoms. It helps me eat like a normal person would. It is quite sedative, so it helps with sleep, which is super important for depression, to get enough. And it helped overall with mood. A good one!"

Kay (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 7, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I think this medicine should be banned, its very dangerous it make you feel like your in a coma, dragging your body around no energy and very weak. I could hardly walk the dog and I felt constipated too. I think the reason people gain weight is because you want to eat to counteract the sluggish feeling with fuel from food - although it doesn't work. I l slept all day and night and am still to weak. I think it is a bad drug and will harm more than help. You couldn't pay me to take it again. consider a natural way instead."

jean (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2018

For Depression "For the first week everything ran smoothly, I fell asleep within an hour of taking the medication and I had some vivid dreams (which I didn't mind, they were quite amusing). Then the second week came and I had suicidal thoughts, I stuck with it though because I though hey maybe it will get easier and I am notorious for not trying anti-depressants for long enough. After a while I noticed I was gaining weight, and after about 5kgs in a month I can't take it anymore. Weight was already an issue and I am restricting and bingeing constantly so I can never get a moment where I am not thinking about food. Overall taking this is doing nothing for me and I feel it is ok if you can deal with the weight issue."

c (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 18, 2018

For Depression "I went from a size 4 to a size 10 in a matter of weeks. I couldn't wear my wedding rings or my clothes. It was totally water retention. One of my colleagues noticed how puffy I looked. So I confronted my doctor. "What is making me look l like a Macy's Thanksgiving parade balloon?" He looked sheepish and said, "That would be the Remeron." I demanded to be taken off the drug, and I could literally feel myself losing the water weight. Never again."

Missy June 17, 2018

For Depression "Skip dose if you've had alcohol, or you may end up crawling on the floor, sick, no joke. The drug has a 30-hour half life so it's not a problem to skip a dose if you plan on drinking."

Whodini (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 10, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I took this because I was severely suicidal and depressed due to seasonal MDD. I started it because my mother was worried and I though If I went on medication it would let her relax a little. It helped me sleep and completely erased my suicidal thoughts and urges. I got a restful full night’s sleep every night. At the start the downsides were an inability to focus, feeling extremely tired during the day and having my suicidal thoughts and urges increase drastically. These only lasted like a few days then everything was okay again. The only side effect that didn’t go away was weight gain, but I’d rather be heavier and alive than skinny and dead. I only went off of it because my depression is seasonal so I don’t need it at this time of year, but I will definitely start again in the fall."

Seasonal Sadness (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 25, 2018

"I take 7.5 mg of Remeron for sleep and it allows me to get a great nights sleep, which allows me to get back on track emotionally. The only reason why I did not give this a 10, is because at this dosage, I am pretty much a zombie the next day, but as long as I have nothing to do, it’s well worth it."

Karina in MN (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 6, 2018

For Depression "I have been prescribed Remeron/Mirtazapine on 2 occasions in the last 5 years. I’m a brain injury survivor with a poor memory of many things post-accident, therefore I was not sure on second prescription that I had used it before. I quickly remembered. For me, the side-effects are various but in the main: constant anxiety, compulsive eating, bad taste in my mouth, food tasting all the same (basically of nothing much), hyper sensitivity to light & sound and a feeling that I was not really ‘there’. These effects terrified me. The only good thing was that it made me sleep. Below my time on medication is less than 1 month; the first time I took it for nearly a month & the second time 2 weeks."

Jojo (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I can finally sleep! I take this along with Pristiq, and it has evened our my mood swings, depression, and insomnia. This drug is a miracle."

Jenny (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "Literally a life saver. I have been on every antidepressant known to man and I thought they were all a joke, they never worked. I ended up in behavioral health facility for 2 weeks because of a major depressive episode and constant thought of suicide. They gave me this medication and I stuck with it. Initially it will make you sleepy and crave food like crazy. You will also have crazy dreams. This will pass in time. I haven’t fallen into a depression in over 3 years now , which is a record. I have recently lost my job, because of a different medical condition. I am on food stamps and might have to sell my home, but amazingly it’s no big deal to me. Remeron and other forms of therapy have changed my whole outlook on life. If anyone has tried every medication and it hasn’t worked give this one a try. Only downside at this point I can think of is, sometimes when you want to feel down or depressed ( I know it sounds weird) you are not able to."

TrustYourself (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 26, 2018

For Depression "I was on Prozac for years following the passing of my father. It stopped working & I started to feel more depressed. I discussed this w/ my doctor & he put me on Remeron to try it out & he stopped the Prozac. This medication has helped tremendously w/ my depression, anxiety, & my sleeplessness. I think the way it works for me out ways the side effects. I did gain a little weight but not much to where I am uncomfortable. I do recommend this medication to people w/ the problems it is used for. Worth trying it out if other medications aren't working for you."

Anonymous female 35yrs old (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 2, 2018

For Depression "Remeron 15 mg worked so well for me! Stick with it - it takes a few weeks but it works. The only reason I can't give it a 10 is because I'm hungry all the time and have no libido. Thank you God for helping me get through this time and for this medication"

Sandollar1968! (taken for less than 1 month) January 7, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have had several bouts of depression in the last 30 years. SSRIs don't work for me. Tried them all. Remeron was a lifesaver. Started at 15 mgs and now up to 45 mgs. Didn't sleep well before this med. It cured my depression, anxiety, and insomnia. Only con, is weight gain which I'm working on with walking and eating a healthy diet. My husband said he rather see me chubby and happy and I totally agree. I'm so glad my doctor out me on this tricyclic antidepressant."

Remilady (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 25, 2017

For Depression "I've been on Effexor for several years and suffered severe sexual effects so went to the doc and he started me on Remeron. For the last three years I've been training cardio 5-6 times a week, had lost 10 kg and feeling quite proud of my body. Now at just over three months on Remeron I started feeling my clothes getting tighter, am feeling fat, bloated and lethargic. I can't train with the intensity I am used to and just want to go to bed earlier and earlier. I weighed myself the other day and to my horror found I'd put on 11 kg. I don't feel I've been eating much more than I used to. Of course the realization that I've lost everything I've worked for in recent years has made me feel pretty bad, and I'm not sure I want to continue."

Craigers (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 14, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder "This medicine works great for me from 9 years"

Vess October 14, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder "After years of being on depression medication and mood stabilizers my body stopped responding to my typical medications. My doctor called me in Remeron to try out. I took this drug for 2 days and had to stop due to extreme anger andk dar thoughts that are not typically me. My other half also went on this drug for a very short time because of the same issues. This medication is horrible"

MichelleAb September 3, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have been taking Remeron for about three years, at various dosages. It does a great job of handling my depression without aggravating my anxiety. It also gives me severe munchies, especially for carbs. But otherwise I have no side effects. Which is a first with me and antidepressants; the SSRIs in particular wrecked me. My doctor told me that usually, people who can't take SSRIs will be able to tolerate Remeron."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 30, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder "This medicine is a godsend. Being 100% honest I didn't like it because of the vivid nightmares but THEY DO STOP WITH CONTINUED USAGE. Don't give up too soon. The vivid nightmares stopped after my 5 day of taking this drug. Now, 2 weeks later my nightmares are gone and have normal dreams that don't involve death, violence or carnage. I sleep well and awaken rested. Some days there is a little groggy feelings in the morning but they wear off as you start moving. A cup of coffee helps as well. My appetite has increased and several people complain of weight gain. YOU WILL GAIN TOO MUCH WEIGHT IF YOU STAY SEDENTARY. I started lifting weights and doing planks and push-ups. That keeps the weight gain at bay."

G-Dub (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2017

For Depression "I've been taking Remeron for a little over a month now. Since taking it I do sleep better however I have been having very strange unusual dreams that I wouldn't regularly dream about. My dreams are more vivid and life like although I know it's not real. Also the day after taking the medication I can't seem to fully wake up - like I never feel fully rested."

Mander Rae July 15, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have taken Remeron for over 6 years at 30mg before bedtime to treat life long suicidal depression and debilitating social anxiety. In the first few days of taking it I can say it was like a switch put to normal. It knocks me out within 1/2 hour of taking it and it is not possible to wake me into a coherent and alert state for at least 5 hours, that isn't an issue for me and the family is used to it now also. The hours of guaranteed sleep is an added bonus. I have my life back, I no longer have social anxiety & I can deal in very high pressure situations perfectly fine. I have noticed a worsening short term memory issues but given my line of work I can't say it has relationship to the med, & I will not go off med to find out."

Allswell45 June 21, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder "This drug saved my life. I never thought I'd say that but due to a health issue I have had chronic tension headaches that have now disappeared! Oh and my depression and anxiety are gone on this. I'm able to feel blissful. I'm able to handle tough situations. I'm able to live. Give it time to work cause it could make your life so much better."

Saved At Last June 1, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have been anxious, paranoid and depressed since puberty (10 years). Doctors have tried SSRIs, SNRIs, and benzos, but nothing seemed to be working. The doctor wrote a script for Remeron. I was skeptical at first, and the initial side effects scared me (slurred speech, drowsiness, blurred vision), however I kept with it and I feel so much better. It is relieving being able to live without thinking I am about to get fired, or if I am getting fat (which is ridiculous. I actually have an eating disorder and I am clinically underweight). My neurotic paranoia seems to be somewhat cornered and I no longer depend on alcohol to keep me under control. I have only been on the drug for a week at 15mg. Hopefully this journey is almost over."

arnold layne (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2017

For Depression "I have tried Doxepin, Escitalopram, and others. Remeron or Mirtazapine is the best for chronic insomnia with depression (my issue). It also reduces day time anxiety. I feel relaxed but sufficiently alert for mental and physical work. i think my efficiency has increased with it. So far no weight issues either (I think not all people will gain weight, probably only a small minority), stomach feels great. No dry mouth, no anticholinergic side-effects. Even my allergies are dying. Hamstring pain is also reduced, which is suffer from. and somehow one of my painful cyst has also disappeared. All in all my daytime posture is better than ever since the age of 18. I feel youthful. The only negative side-effect I feel is increased urination."

DDarson April 18, 2017