User Reviews for Remeron

7.4

Major Depressive Disorder

Summary of Remeron reviews 7.4 149 reviews

Reviews for Remeron

For Depression "I have been getting better sleep. Certainly feel less edgy than when I was on zoloft. Still feel tired but I am sure after consistent use that will go away."

Invc January 30, 2019

For Depression "I took this medication 7.5mg before bed periodically for about one year, usually for two to three months and stop it. It helps a lot before sleep, inducing drowsiness, enhance the quality of sleep. So, I definitely recommend it for people with insomnia. It moreover, helps fighting anxiety through its sedative effects. This medication also helped me a lot to gain weight, I am skinny and have no appetite usually. I gained 7 kilos with Remeron. In addition, it helps me reducing my sex drive remarkably! Because normally my sex drive to high and with Remeron it became normalized! Finally, this medication helped me to recover from depressive attacks, I got divorced which gave me depression. I took the 7.5 my before bed it reduced my depressive feelings by 80%, it worked quickly within a couple of days . However, Remeron withdrawal effects were really bad for me, despite the low/short dosage/period, I had withdrawal symptoms like severe insomnia, headache as well as low appetite."

hussein (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 17, 2019

For Depression "Works wonders for my depression symptoms associated with Complex PTSD. Helps me sleep better. Haven't gained any weight. I did have to combine it with a different antidepressant to help my anxiety symptoms. The first week or so I was a bit groggy waking up, but that side effect passed. After a couple weeks at 15mg, my doc had me go up to 30mg a night for a little while and I got **bad** memory issues that resolved almost immediately after I was reduced back down to 15mg. So now no side effects. Just better mood and sleep. Would recommend."

enayleoni (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 10, 2019

For Depression "I had insomnia that had me sleeping max 4 hours a night for 8 months, so I was losing my mind. Mirtazapine improved my mood substantially, made me able to sleep, helped me function and reduced the worst of my depression symptoms significantly. It also completely stopped my full blown panic attacks - I have only ever experienced a much milder, limited symptom panic attack since having been put on it. Unfortunately, there is considerable weight gain and voracious appetite. I wasn't warned about this, so I went up 2-3 sizes within 2 months without realizing what was going on. I haven't been able to keep the weight off while on Remeron despite low cal diets etc. Keep an eye on your portions and calorie intake when starting this. I'd still rather be a couple sizes larger and no longer suicidal and able to sleep than skinny and unable to function!"

anon December 15, 2018

For Depression "I have tried Remeron in the past (15 years ago). It was very effective for me especially for anxiety and sleep but not for depression. I was also misdiagnosed in the past. Today, I take other meds which control my mood disorder plus I have symptoms of adult ADD which makes it difficult for me to stay focused or organized. I've been trying to finish college for the last four years but always quit or skipped semesters due to lack of focus and organization. Next time I see my doctor I will ask for Remeron ,but I'm afraid of weight gain. I guess I'll have to switch to other mood stabilizing moods that are considered weight neutral. I hope it works out this time."

JrZXC345 December 2, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have taken this med for over 2 years. I've been suffering from insomnia, anxiety, and depression my whole life. I found that nothing that could help. Every night I tossed and turned, waking up every 2 hours. The first night I took this, like magic, I slept a whole night without waking up. And every night since then it has worked. However, BEWARE, it will make you binge eat. You have NO control over it. Studies say weight gain from this med only affects like 15% of people. Use look at the reviews on here and across the internet–it's more like 90%. I've always been skinny and I put on 14 pounds within a month of starting it. I quit for a week, which made me extremely depressed and unable to sleep, but I immediately lost all the weight. But I was so depressed, it hurt, so I got back on it. That's why I give this a 7, it's a conundrum, it helps so much with insomnia/depression/anxiety but it makes you FAT. Don't try this med unless you've tried ALL other SSRI's and sleep meds."

medtaker92 September 7, 2018

"My 94 yr old mother was given this drug in the hospital. I was told it was to increase her appetite. It had a devastating effect on her. She went into a coma (I saw that one side effect was Severe Sedation) for almost a whole day! It made her confused and it did more damage than good because she could not wake up to take her meds or eat or drink! I feel the Dr should have told me the side effects before giving her this drug. She was up and walking just a few days before and was hospitalized for atrial fibrillation. I do not recommend it!!!"

die4shoes August 16, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I've been on Remeron and Abilify for a month now and I can say it is true to what the doctor says it is. I paid 8 a piece for them both, at my insurance's expense. When I first started , the first two days were horrible. I was drained and hungry as heck, but my body adapted quick. I lost 25 lbs before taking remeron and so far my weight has increased by 5 to 6lbs. I have nightmares almost every night and mood swings when I don't eat.. but thats just the downside. Overall the medicine helps me sleep, eat and feel better. I just have to get my rump back into the act of working out to avoid weight. Stay positive lovebugs <3"

Rockel (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 9, 2018

For Depression "I tried various antidepressants for years including therapy and Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS). I also took clonazepan for anxiety. For about two years I was a mess, extremely tired, very anxious and miserable. Thoughts of suicide very frequent. My psychiatrist told me to get a second opinion. Very hard to do when you feel awful, but keep on trying hoping there will be a better cocktail around the corner. I now take zoloft 100 mg in the morning and remeron 30 mg before bed time (clonazepan very seldom) it makes me very tired and I feel strange although there were a few times that it really helped. Zoloft and remeron did it for me. I sleep great and feel much better. Keep alcohol at a minimum. Best of luck........"

Tenatious (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 8, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I love love love Remeron. I have been severely depressed for more than a decade. I was on bupriopion before, but then had a seizure on it and could no longer continue. I had not taken any helpful medication for years after that. I told my doctor my problems and with the things that I was looking to have alleviated, he recommended Remeron. I have had extreme appetite suppression for a long time as well due to my depression, and I needed a medication to increase my appetite. I was having trouble sleeping due to overthinking at night. I had a lot of ideation. Remeron helped me with all of these symptoms. It helps me eat like a normal person would. It is quite sedative, so it helps with sleep, which is super important for depression, to get enough. And it helped overall with mood. A good one!"

Kay (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 7, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I think this medicine should be banned, its very dangerous it make you feel like your in a coma, dragging your body around no energy and very weak. I could hardly walk the dog and I felt constipated too. I think the reason people gain weight is because you want to eat to counteract the sluggish feeling with fuel from food - although it doesn't work. I l slept all day and night and am still to weak. I think it is a bad drug and will harm more than help. You couldn't pay me to take it again. consider a natural way instead."

jean (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2018

For Depression "For the first week everything ran smoothly, I fell asleep within an hour of taking the medication and I had some vivid dreams (which I didn't mind, they were quite amusing). Then the second week came and I had suicidal thoughts, I stuck with it though because I though hey maybe it will get easier and I am notorious for not trying anti-depressants for long enough. After a while I noticed I was gaining weight, and after about 5kgs in a month I can't take it anymore. Weight was already an issue and I am restricting and bingeing constantly so I can never get a moment where I am not thinking about food. Overall taking this is doing nothing for me and I feel it is ok if you can deal with the weight issue."

c (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 18, 2018

For Depression "I went from a size 4 to a size 10 in a matter of weeks. I couldn't wear my wedding rings or my clothes. It was totally water retention. One of my colleagues noticed how puffy I looked. So I confronted my doctor. "What is making me look l like a Macy's Thanksgiving parade balloon?" He looked sheepish and said, "That would be the Remeron." I demanded to be taken off the drug, and I could literally feel myself losing the water weight. Never again."

Missy June 17, 2018

For Depression "Skip dose if you've had alcohol, or you may end up crawling on the floor, sick, no joke. The drug has a 30-hour half life so it's not a problem to skip a dose if you plan on drinking."

Whodini (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 10, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I took this because I was severely suicidal and depressed due to seasonal MDD. I started it because my mother was worried and I though If I went on medication it would let her relax a little. It helped me sleep and completely erased my suicidal thoughts and urges. I got a restful full night’s sleep every night. At the start the downsides were an inability to focus, feeling extremely tired during the day and having my suicidal thoughts and urges increase drastically. These only lasted like a few days then everything was okay again. The only side effect that didn’t go away was weight gain, but I’d rather be heavier and alive than skinny and dead. I only went off of it because my depression is seasonal so I don’t need it at this time of year, but I will definitely start again in the fall."

Seasonal Sadness (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 25, 2018

"I take 7.5 mg of Remeron for sleep and it allows me to get a great nights sleep, which allows me to get back on track emotionally. The only reason why I did not give this a 10, is because at this dosage, I am pretty much a zombie the next day, but as long as I have nothing to do, it’s well worth it."

Karina in MN (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 6, 2018

For Depression "I have been prescribed Remeron/Mirtazapine on 2 occasions in the last 5 years. I’m a brain injury survivor with a poor memory of many things post-accident, therefore I was not sure on second prescription that I had used it before. I quickly remembered. For me, the side-effects are various but in the main: constant anxiety, compulsive eating, bad taste in my mouth, food tasting all the same (basically of nothing much), hyper sensitivity to light & sound and a feeling that I was not really ‘there’. These effects terrified me. The only good thing was that it made me sleep. Below my time on medication is less than 1 month; the first time I took it for nearly a month & the second time 2 weeks."

Jojo (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I can finally sleep! I take this along with Pristiq, and it has evened our my mood swings, depression, and insomnia. This drug is a miracle."

Jenny (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "Literally a life saver. I have been on every antidepressant known to man and I thought they were all a joke, they never worked. I ended up in behavioral health facility for 2 weeks because of a major depressive episode and constant thought of suicide. They gave me this medication and I stuck with it. Initially it will make you sleepy and crave food like crazy. You will also have crazy dreams. This will pass in time. I haven’t fallen into a depression in over 3 years now , which is a record. I have recently lost my job, because of a different medical condition. I am on food stamps and might have to sell my home, but amazingly it’s no big deal to me. Remeron and other forms of therapy have changed my whole outlook on life. If anyone has tried every medication and it hasn’t worked give this one a try. Only downside at this point I can think of is, sometimes when you want to feel down or depressed ( I know it sounds weird) you are not able to."

TrustYourself (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 26, 2018

For Depression "I was on Prozac for years following the passing of my father. It stopped working & I started to feel more depressed. I discussed this w/ my doctor & he put me on Remeron to try it out & he stopped the Prozac. This medication has helped tremendously w/ my depression, anxiety, & my sleeplessness. I think the way it works for me out ways the side effects. I did gain a little weight but not much to where I am uncomfortable. I do recommend this medication to people w/ the problems it is used for. Worth trying it out if other medications aren't working for you."

Anonymous female 35yrs old (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 2, 2018

For Depression "Remeron 15 mg worked so well for me! Stick with it - it takes a few weeks but it works. The only reason I can't give it a 10 is because I'm hungry all the time and have no libido. Thank you God for helping me get through this time and for this medication"

Sandollar1968! (taken for less than 1 month) January 7, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have had several bouts of depression in the last 30 years. SSRIs don't work for me. Tried them all. Remeron was a lifesaver. Started at 15 mgs and now up to 45 mgs. Didn't sleep well before this med. It cured my depression, anxiety, and insomnia. Only con, is weight gain which I'm working on with walking and eating a healthy diet. My husband said he rather see me chubby and happy and I totally agree. I'm so glad my doctor out me on this tricyclic antidepressant."

Remilady (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 25, 2017

For Depression "I've been on Effexor for several years and suffered severe sexual effects so went to the doc and he started me on Remeron. For the last three years I've been training cardio 5-6 times a week, had lost 10 kg and feeling quite proud of my body. Now at just over three months on Remeron I started feeling my clothes getting tighter, am feeling fat, bloated and lethargic. I can't train with the intensity I am used to and just want to go to bed earlier and earlier. I weighed myself the other day and to my horror found I'd put on 11 kg. I don't feel I've been eating much more than I used to. Of course the realization that I've lost everything I've worked for in recent years has made me feel pretty bad, and I'm not sure I want to continue."

Craigers (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 14, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder "This medicine works great for me from 9 years"

Vess October 14, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder "After years of being on depression medication and mood stabilizers my body stopped responding to my typical medications. My doctor called me in Remeron to try out. I took this drug for 2 days and had to stop due to extreme anger andk dar thoughts that are not typically me. My other half also went on this drug for a very short time because of the same issues. This medication is horrible"

MichelleAb September 3, 2017