User Reviews for Remeron to treat Depression

Remeron has an average rating of 7.1 out of 10 from a total of 143 ratings for the treatment of Depression. 59% of those users who reviewed Remeron reported a positive effect, while 15% reported a negative effect.

Remeron Rating Summary

7.1/10 average rating

Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Remeron

M · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 27, 2021

“I’ve struggled with severe nausea induced by anxiety for years. I went to countless doctors thinking it was a GI issue, but they couldn’t find anything. I finally went to a psychiatrist and she prescribed me Remeron. I occasionally get nauseous still, but it is bearable and doesn’t prevent me from doing every day things like it did if I take this medication on schedule. If I forget to take it one day, the nausea returns but I am able to live everyday life normally with this pill. The one thing I will say is that this pill will knock you out. I work early in the morning and have to take this pill and go to sleep around 7 pm every night, but that is doable for me and definitely worth the benefits of this medication. This medication saved me!!”

Me! · Taken for less than 1 month March 28, 2021

“TLDR: Alleviated body panic and sleeping issues. Do not take if you already have issues managing symptoms of depression. I was prescribed this for PTSD and because my sensitivity to noise disrupted my sleep. Sudden noises produced a sort of 'fight or flight' response from my body that was typically followed by an emotional response. Remeron dials down that nervous response. I haven't woken to foot steps while on it and I have become significantly less sensitive to surprises. Beware, your body will take time to get used to this medication. For the first week I was horribly lethargic. After that I had issues with anger and rage filled outbursts. Always keep in mind that drugs are just a fraction of what it takes to be mentally well. To all reading this, I love you and I'm proud of you for being here.”

Jay March 11, 2021

“This helped take the edge away of my depression and anxiety, but wasn’t too relieving. The side effects are what is getting the best of me. I gained 60 lbs and I always feel fatigued, but a weird one is that I started getting this pain in my upper-slight left of my back and it was hurt in the front too, like below my pectoral. I thought it was back a strain, but after I researched it, it turns out this medication can inflame your pancreas and that’s what is causing that for me. Overall, it can definitely help, but be aware of side effects.”

Anon · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 14, 2020

“I am an alcoholic/addict who had been self medicating through any illicit substance I could get my hands on for over 10 years. Remeron was suggested in treatment since I’ve suffered with anxiety/social anxiety/major depression for so many years that I had lost hope in ever getting better. Remeron worked fast and with counseling/meditation/exercise, and I felt like a person again. I was on Remeron for about 4 months until I tapered off my 7.5 mg dose. For me less was more. About 10 months later I noticed my depression creeping up and since I’ve been sober/clean for about 15 months I felt like I fell short in mental health maintenance (when I really didn’t) So I went to see a doctor and got back on 15mg and the next day the medication was already working better than I could have ever hoped for. I didn’t want to accept the fact that I was getting depressed but if I didn’t reach out for help it would of led me down the road to relapse.”

Dave · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 5, 2020

“I really like this medication. I‘d always been wary of antidepressants because of the well known side effects but being an SSRI I gave this one a shot. Never looked back. Gained maybe 8 pounds but you cant tell because I look and feel so much healthier and happier. Little to no side effects other than that 8 pounds, I can finally sleep again. Woke up a little dizzy in the morning for the first 2 or 3 weeks but it doesn't happen anymore. You probably WON'T ever forget to take it and you won’t be able to sleep without it once you’re on it, but my quality of life is so much higher I don't mind”

Coco February 19, 2020

“I was taking mirtazapine for around a year and had I been in a better space I would have gotten off it as soon as I realised it was causing certain effects on me. Minor side effects - sluggishness, major weigh gain. I was prescribed this medication due to having poor sleep but it made me have vivid awful dreams - sleep paralysis multiple times a night. I used to sleep for 14+ hours, usually in the day due to being worried about falling asleep for the nightmares. It caused me to miss lots of university - I was so tired and drowsy I could not physically get up. I wish I had been able to understand the effect it was having on my body and stop them sooner. I was severely suicidal. I made plans almost daily, even walking to the shop I thought about walking in front of buses. It was a truly awful time in my life, made worse by a medication which did not suit me. I’m glad it has worked for some, but If anyone I knew personally were to tell me they were taking it, I would advise them not to.”

Medic14 · Taken for less than 1 month November 8, 2014

“I have suffered from severe disabling anxiety and depression for over a year now. I'm a paramedic, and father of 2 children and it greatly affected by ability to work, or even go to work and also my ability to enjoy my children when I had them. Lost 30-40lbs. After trying every SSRI on the market for 4 weeks and finally developing suicidal thoughts I checked myself in to a hospital. Within 4 days of starting Rememron- depression was completely relieved. Still have anxiety at times, no panic attacks. VERY FEW SIDE EFFECTS. Had sweating the first 2 days, that's it. GREAT MEDICINE FOR ME!!!!!!! I'm eating again and feeling great!”

Xag · Taken for less than 1 month June 2, 2020

“I’m on my 8th day since I started taking half of a 30mg pill before I go to sleep everyday. It helps me have a very good night sleep, has enhanced my appetite and is helping me cope and deal with the hard situation I’m facing. I am satisfied with the results so far although I feel sleepy all day long.”

Never Again May 14, 2020

“I literally split a 15mg down to into 8ths because my body is so sensitive. Wow... I have been out of it for DAYS.. I cannot stop sleeping. Put me in a horrible weird state like I don't know what's going on or like I'm truly awake. Just feel 'out of it' .. Off of a sliver! I have read contradictory things about dosing. I would indeed say and agree with that the lower doses are VERY sedating. Very weirdly vivid (not nightmarish) dreams... I had a gene test done and this medication was on my "lower doses maybe be required" I can't even imagine what a high dose would do! This is completely staying on my 'NO!' list! Be careful of this medication because it is POWERFUL. I feel like I've just been high for days. Like I've just been smoking the most dank weed and I've just been stuck in this high. When I wake up I feel like I'm manic, like I just have a huge rush of anxiety. I wanted to try this because I am experiencing "heartburn" like chest pain that isn't acid related at all..”

Sebbyboy · Taken for less than 1 month May 5, 2014

“My main problem is a pretty bad insomnia / anxiety. I tried several natural products over the last 3 years (melatonine, Valerian root, Tea, GABA, Magnesium etc...) as well as using good sleeping habits. I just couldn't support the lack of sleep anymore (hundreds of night without sleeping in the last year) so my GP prescribed me with Zoplicone & Trazodone. It didn't work and my anxiety went pretty bad. I finally pushed my GP to prescribe Remeron. After one week I regained my sleeping cycle at 15mg. Little to no side effects for me except I feel a bit sleepy until 10AM. Really mild anti-depressant, far from SSRI really bad side & withdrawal effects. Try it without fear.”

AnonAnonAnon · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 16, 2014

“Probably the best antidepressant I've taken in terms of overall effect and side effects (minimal side effects). Also, I noted the improvement in days, vs weeks for SSRI/SNRI's. It's not like being hit by a dose of Ritalin but just was a general sense of wanting to get back in the game, feeling ok, but not "locked in" - still have a good range of emotions.”

HERE · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 7, 2020

“REMERON/MIRTAZAPINE was wonderful the first two weeks particulary because I felt dismal for 50 years then mirtazapine came about. But after two weeks of a new life of positivity things changed to a life of pain nausea apathy crying worrying close to zero motivation even to use the restroom. I can go on and on , basically now I wonder why people live for 100% negativity literally even when you list all things. I wish I never experienced the good from this drug because now mental torture and horrible chronic pains would best describe my life!!!”

Anonymous June 10, 2008

“I've been taking this for about a year. The sedative effects have decreased as time has passed. It gives me a huge appetite right before I go to sleep, but I can avoid it with some self-control. It also made me dizzy during the first week or two, but that has also disappeared. I have energy, focus and humor again. It's an effective antidpressant.”

Gorillafuzz May 19, 2013

“I'm a 43 year old woman and I've been on 30mg Remeron for over 10 years now, it was prescribed for major depression and generalized anxiety disorder. I was NOT sleeping at all, when I first started taking it I was a walking zombi for about 2-3 months (got some much needed sleep) however after that it's like someone opened a window in a dark room. I was feeling 80% normal (prior to taking it I was in the negative) I'll take 80% any day. You should take it an hour or so before bed time because it has a huge sedative effect and take care in the beginning because its potent to begin with. It takes time for it to start really working so don't be put off by the zombi state, it does go away.”

954Girl · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 1, 2016

“Fantastic medicine! I have insomnia, depression and anxiety. Helps me fall asleep and sleep hard all through the night. I wake up feeling refreshed. This pill gives me lots of energy. Imy back on my bicycle and hitting my home gym daily. I feel confident in myself for the first time and almost feel guilty for not having constant self depreciating thoughts. Thankful God has given me powerful healing in this medicine. A tool against the devil, I no longer hear his lies so much. Living happily ”

Mirtazapine1 · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 6, 2019

“Prior to taking mirtazapine/Remeron I had been on most SSRI, SNRI type drugs. I had chronic depression, suicidal ideation and anxiety. Before taking Mirtazapine I was starting to think all these drugs were a joke or a big con. I also didn't realise how ill I was until I started Mirtazapine, it's been a revelation! The first month I went manic and had a few side effects, since then I've had the first three years of my life without any major episodes. My insomnia has basically disappeared and I sleep like clockwork 2 hours after taking 30 mg. I can't describe just how grateful I am it's not just changed my mood but also my whole frame of reference and outlook, it's something akin to changing the colour of a lens on a camera, where once everything looked dark now everything looks bright. Anxiety The one area where it's been a help but has not solved the problem is anxiety. My anxiety has improved but I'm still trying to find a med that targets panic attacks and anxiety disorder.”

cf June 3, 2019

“I NEVER REALIZED HOW BAD I WAS UNTIL I STARTED FEELING GOOD AGAIN!! Remeron has changed my life. I had anxiety and depression and I had tried zoloft, buspar, wellbutrin, and am on lexapro still. Some of my worst anxiety symptoms were nausea, lack of appetite ,and vivid dreams. I am currently on lexapro 15 mg with 7.5 mg remeron that I started a little over a week ago. I was scared to try it because I am sensitive to medication changes but the first night I slept amazing, fell asleep easy and woke up with a quiet mind. I still had vivid dreams but I did not have an anxiety producing reaction. I was scared I would never find an answer to my anxiety disorder which resulted in depression as well. Highly recommended if dealing with insomnia, vivid dreams, and lack of appetite. I did not have any weight gain but did have food cravings for the first day or so but other than that this drug was side effect free. The weight has finally been lifted off my shoulders and the mind is much quieter.”

RC11234 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 20, 2013

“I had been taking Remeron for about 6 months. I am 23 years of age and have had sleep problems my whole life. For 6 months my life was great. Everything seemed just perfect. 2 months ago I decided to stop taking it cold turkey. BAD idea. Within the last month the side effects began to kick in. Extreme anxiety, anger, sleeplessness, overall feeling of worthlessness came upon me. It was absolutely terrible! Today my doctor put me back on the medicine and tonight I'll be taking it again. I am so excited to see what lies ahead. If you take Remeron PLEASE do not quit taking it cold turkey on your own. Seek a doctors advice.”

Kimi B. February 17, 2013

“I have ADHD, OCD, and depression. The moment I took this medication my intrusive thoughts from OCD went away. I am no longer depressed, even when life should be getting me down. Everything seems bearable. I just feel like things are okay, I can make it. I've never felt like this before, really. Most of the time I get overwhelmed with life but I think this medication has pulled me out of the dark hole I was in before. It does make me very hungry and sleepy, I take it in the evenings. It's hard to get up in the morning but coffee fixes that for me. I don't recommend this to someone who can not control their eating habits and gains weight easily.”

Trytrytry · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 18, 2020

“I was feeling very depressed 3 years ago and I've always suffered from anxiety, I tried other anti-depressants but the side affects were horrendous so I started on 15mg Mirtazapine, they started to work after a few days. I felt calm and my anxiety reduced hugely, I also slept very well. They will give you very vivid dreams, after a few weeks I started feeling anxious/agitated during the day so I popped another pill and that did the trick after an hour. The Doc upped my dose then to 30mg and they worked great at night. But I felt very anxious in the morning so the Doc very unusually apparently prescribed 15mg for the morning, that really did the trick. Fast forward 3 years, I'm still on the 45mg and they still help me sleep, my mood however is a little on the low side, anxiety is quite bad, in a nutshell they work less and less the longer you are on them, I'm now thinking of tapering off them and trying some talking therapy even if I am a little sceptical of the value of doing so.”

marcy630 April 4, 2015

“I've been taking this medication for approximately 3 years now. For all who are upset with the weight gain and sleepiness, it doesn't last forever. I think I gained about 10-15 lbs in my first few months, but I've managed to lose it all. Now I am only sleepy right after I take it (at bedtime) and I wake up feeling rested without the hangover. It's definitely levelled off my depression, and I feel normal. If you can get past the first few weeks, this medication is a life saver. I truly forgot that this medication even has side effects, since I've been on it so long. Also, I tried the SSRI/SNRI route first. On Zoloft, I would've made a great cast member for the Walking Dead. I've never felt more like a zombie. Remeron is the best!”

SchottyNurse April 8, 2016

“This medication is one of modern medicine's true miracles. I started taking it 7 months ago after a devastating benzo/opiate relapse and I have suffered from MDD and insomnia for 19 years. During that time I have literally tried everything - legal AND illegal. Thank God for this medicine. I did gain a ton of weight at first but consider it a small price to pay for high quality/quantity of sleep, energy, a positive mood, and an all around "good" feeling. Everyone reacts to medicine differently, don't give up. I am so thankful to have my sanity and my life back - all thanks to this medicine.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 12, 2019

“I was started on 7.5 mg of Remeron when I was having anxiety and panic attacks. Within a few days, I started feeling significantly better. A few months later, and I have had only a few minor episodes of panic. It has greatly improved my life with no major side effects.”

Starsngalaxy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 8, 2020

“I have bipolar disorder, and during my low episodes I experience intense anxiety, which feels all day like that feeling when you look over a huge drop (if you're scared of heights). That feeling where your heart almost jumps put of your mouth, and also with ruminating thoughts of guilt and shame (OCD-like), that are so extreme they send me into depersonalisation with hallicinations. After just 1 or 2 doses of Remeron at a dose of 15mg, during these episodes, those ruminating thoughts and anxiousness almost completely disappear. It's miraculous. They make me so numb that I feel like I could do a bungee jump and not feel anything, which at times is a life saver. However that feeling of complete numbness, paired with feeling very groggy in the mornings, is what makes me come off of it when these episodes pass. Using it in this way is what works for me, although it's an off label way of using it. With BPD, the numbness makes me split on my partner quite badly and lessens my creativity.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 1, 2019

“I've been on Remeron for several years now. Primarily for insomnia but also for anxiety and depression. This medication helps me tremendously like no others I've tried. No side effects besides hunger and weight gain. Highly recommend”

YahyaDead · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 19, 2020

“Remeron was prescribed for Anxiety, OCD, Panic attacks, IBS, Lack of appetite, Anger. It only worked for 3 weeks, it was good for increasing my appetite, . helping me sleep and reducing my anxiety and anger, however, its effect was almost gone after few weeks. I also used to have weird vivid dreams, but they almost stopped happening after few weeks.. No side effect whatsoever..”

FloridaFitGirl954 November 2, 2016

“Feeling fantastic, like myself again. Wanted to say I have not gained weight, in fact, I have LOST WEIGHT with this drug. My appetite increased but I needed it. I liked to skip breakfast and lunch most days to "lose weight". I only kept the fat on. With this newfound energy im experiencing Im more active and burning more calories. My increased appetite has prompted me to eat regular healthy meals and my metabolism has skyrocketed! Im burning fat and building muscle. Just wanted to put in my 2 cents. Alot of people gained weight, I have not. If you watch what you eat and your portion size, plus exercise regularly you shouldnt see an unwanted weight gain with this drug.”

Mnich · Taken for less than 1 month January 22, 2020

“I was prescribed 7.5 mg remeron along with 50mg of zoloft. I've only taken two doses and it left me in a zombie state for two days. I slept but I slept from 11 pm to 11 am which is obviously unrealistic. Even after I woke up I felt OUT OF IT, as if I was on drugs almost and was exhausted all day. I also felt like my thinking was off and like I couldn't even form a sentence, it is very terrifying. It is almost like my brain can't process what is going on in front of me, even my vision felt off.I don't plan on taking this anymore.”