User Reviews for Remeron

Remeron Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 218 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Remeron to treat Depression

"I tried various antidepressants for years including therapy and Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS). I also took clonazepan for anxiety. For about two years I was a mess, extremely tired, very anxious and miserable. Thoughts of suicide very frequent. My psychiatrist told me to get a second opinion. Very hard to do when you feel awful, but keep on trying hoping there will be a better cocktail around the corner. I now take zoloft 100 mg in the morning and remeron 30 mg before bed time (clonazepan very seldom) it makes me very tired and I feel strange although there were a few times that it really helped. Zoloft and remeron did it for me. I sleep great and feel much better. Keep alcohol at a minimum. Best of luck........"

Tenatious (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 8, 2018

"For the first week everything ran smoothly, I fell asleep within an hour of taking the medication and I had some vivid dreams (which I didn't mind, they were quite amusing). Then the second week came and I had suicidal thoughts, I stuck with it though because I though hey maybe it will get easier and I am notorious for not trying anti-depressants for long enough. After a while I noticed I was gaining weight, and after about 5kgs in a month I can't take it anymore. Weight was already an issue and I am restricting and bingeing constantly so I can never get a moment where I am not thinking about food. Overall taking this is doing nothing for me and I feel it is ok if you can deal with the weight issue."

c (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 18, 2018

"I went from a size 4 to a size 10 in a matter of weeks. I couldn't wear my wedding rings or my clothes. It was totally water retention. One of my colleagues noticed how puffy I looked. So I confronted my doctor. "What is making me look l like a Macy's Thanksgiving parade balloon?" He looked sheepish and said, "That would be the Remeron." I demanded to be taken off the drug, and I could literally feel myself losing the water weight. Never again."

Missy June 17, 2018

"Skip dose if you've had alcohol, or you may end up crawling on the floor, sick, no joke. The drug has a 30-hour half life so it's not a problem to skip a dose if you plan on drinking."

Whodini (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 10, 2018

"I have been prescribed Remeron/Mirtazapine on 2 occasions in the last 5 years. I’m a brain injury survivor with a poor memory of many things post-accident, therefore I was not sure on second prescription that I had used it before. I quickly remembered. For me, the side-effects are various but in the main: constant anxiety, compulsive eating, bad taste in my mouth, food tasting all the same (basically of nothing much), hyper sensitivity to light & sound and a feeling that I was not really ‘there’. These effects terrified me. The only good thing was that it made me sleep. Below my time on medication is less than 1 month; the first time I took it for nearly a month & the second time 2 weeks."

Jojo (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2018

"I was on Prozac for years following the passing of my father. It stopped working & I started to feel more depressed. I discussed this w/ my doctor & he put me on Remeron to try it out & he stopped the Prozac. This medication has helped tremendously w/ my depression, anxiety, & my sleeplessness. I think the way it works for me out ways the side effects. I did gain a little weight but not much to where I am uncomfortable. I do recommend this medication to people w/ the problems it is used for. Worth trying it out if other medications aren't working for you."

Anonymous female 35yrs old (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 2, 2018

"Remeron 15 mg worked so well for me! Stick with it - it takes a few weeks but it works. The only reason I can't give it a 10 is because I'm hungry all the time and have no libido. Thank you God for helping me get through this time and for this medication"

Sandollar1968! (taken for less than 1 month) January 7, 2018

"I've been on Effexor for several years and suffered severe sexual effects so went to the doc and he started me on Remeron. For the last three years I've been training cardio 5-6 times a week, had lost 10 kg and feeling quite proud of my body. Now at just over three months on Remeron I started feeling my clothes getting tighter, am feeling fat, bloated and lethargic. I can't train with the intensity I am used to and just want to go to bed earlier and earlier. I weighed myself the other day and to my horror found I'd put on 11 kg. I don't feel I've been eating much more than I used to. Of course the realization that I've lost everything I've worked for in recent years has made me feel pretty bad, and I'm not sure I want to continue."

Craigers (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 14, 2017

"I've been taking Remeron for a little over a month now. Since taking it I do sleep better however I have been having very strange unusual dreams that I wouldn't regularly dream about. My dreams are more vivid and life like although I know it's not real. Also the day after taking the medication I can't seem to fully wake up - like I never feel fully rested."

Mander Rae July 15, 2017

"I have tried Doxepin, Escitalopram, and others. Remeron or Mirtazapine is the best for chronic insomnia with depression (my issue). It also reduces day time anxiety. I feel relaxed but sufficiently alert for mental and physical work. i think my efficiency has increased with it. So far no weight issues either (I think not all people will gain weight, probably only a small minority), stomach feels great. No dry mouth, no anticholinergic side-effects. Even my allergies are dying. Hamstring pain is also reduced, which is suffer from. and somehow one of my painful cyst has also disappeared. All in all my daytime posture is better than ever since the age of 18. I feel youthful. The only negative side-effect I feel is increased urination."

DDarson April 18, 2017

"This medication was the magic bullet for me anxiety wise and depression wise. I slept extremely well and my anxiety plummeted. I would have definitely stayed on it if it weren't for the atrocious weight gain! I am normally 110 lbs or so, and within 1.5 months was up to 130lbs! During this time I wasn't eating much more than normal and I was skateboarding, canoeing, and running yet still putting on weight. I was the happiest, yet the fattest I had EVER been on this drug, so it was love/hate relationship. I decided to go off of it because I couldn't tolerate the weight. Was a shame, since it was extremely effective for me otherwise. Oh well."

FLGAL (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2017

"I was prescribed this medication for insomnia and depression. It worked great for the insomnia the first six months but then it no longer worked. I'm too sensitive to ssris medication so I thought this would be a great match until it stopped working. Also makes you perpetually hungry and prone to gain weight"

Jml76 November 12, 2016

"Feeling fantastic, like myself again. Wanted to say I have not gained weight, in fact, I have LOST WEIGHT with this drug. My appetite increased but I needed it. I liked to skip breakfast and lunch most days to "lose weight". I only kept the fat on. With this newfound energy im experiencing Im more active and burning more calories. My increased appetite has prompted me to eat regular healthy meals and my metabolism has skyrocketed! Im burning fat and building muscle. Just wanted to put in my 2 cents. Alot of people gained weight, I have not. If you watch what you eat and your portion size, plus exercise regularly you shouldnt see an unwanted weight gain with this drug."

FloridaFitGirl954 November 2, 2016

"Fantastic medicine! I have insomnia, depression and anxiety. Helps me fall asleep and sleep hard all through the night. I wake up feeling refreshed. This pill gives me lots of energy. Imy back on my bicycle and hitting my home gym daily. I feel confident in myself for the first time and almost feel guilty for not having constant self depreciating thoughts. Thankful God has given me powerful healing in this medicine. A tool against the devil, I no longer hear his lies so much. Living happily "

954Girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 1, 2016

"I am using remeron to help with nausea, depression and anxiety as I taper off 1 mg of Klonopin after several years of using that drug. It was hard in the beginning; I had headaches and crushing fatigue for weeks. Now, I feel this drug has been a godsend; it helps with all and ensures that I sleep well most nights. This is my third attempt to get off of Klonopin and I have never been able to reduce my dosage so much. I do notice that my weight is now creeping up so I need to watch that more carefully, but that side effect is one I will have to tackle as I will not give up my remeron."

Liz12NJ (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 30, 2016

"After a year of taking this, I have trouble speaking at all, severe sedation and constant irritability. Also a dangerous lack of care about my personal affairs and suicidal ideation. I'm called 'stable', when really I'm frozen in depression. I will never trust a psychiatrist again."

Dead to the World (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 12, 2016

"At first, I took Remeron and I was knocked out for a full day. I was underweight and had panic anxiety. This really helped me. After the first day my body seemed to adjust to Remeron and by the 3rd day, I didn't have any tired feeling at all. It definitely helped me with sleep. I am now on 30 x 2 tabs a day and have been on this for years. I am actually afraid to get off of it. It has helped me through very difficult times."

bumarel June 16, 2016

"I have taken 15 mg Remeron for about 5 days so far and it already is a miracle pill for me. I am slightly underweight and had constant anxiety, but so far this medication has vastly improved my appetite and I just feel relaxed, but not in an drugged feeling way. I actually enjoy food and am no longer as picky of an eater as I was before, which is awesome. It also helps with sleep, as it certainly has a sedative effect after you take it. I was really groggy and tired the first day after I took it, but have been fine and energized everyday since. I know every medication affects people differently, but if you are depressed and not worried about weight gain, give this a shot."

-D- May 25, 2016

"I have been on this medication only 2 weeks I am finally not crying all the time. I am still not sleeping. I go for days not sleeping and when I do it is only for 2 or 3 hours. I am hoping this med eventually helps my sleep time. I don't seem to be having any side effects. If weight gain is a side effect it will help since I have been too thin most of my life. I have tried so many meds for depression and this one seems to be the only one that has had any effect on it at all. I would considerate it to be wonderful and would recommend it for depression."

nscol (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2016

"This medication is one of modern medicine's true miracles. I started taking it 7 months ago after a devastating benzo/opiate relapse and I have suffered from MDD and insomnia for 19 years. During that time I have literally tried everything - legal AND illegal. Thank God for this medicine. I did gain a ton of weight at first but consider it a small price to pay for high quality/quantity of sleep, energy, a positive mood, and an all around "good" feeling. Everyone reacts to medicine differently, don't give up. I am so thankful to have my sanity and my life back - all thanks to this medicine."

SchottyNurse April 8, 2016

"Excellent for obsessive thoughts, best depression lift in many years...BUT...I am going off of it after five weeks. The initial side effects I could deal with, the normal headache, grogginess, irritability but then after the fourth week I noticed a rare side effect of edema (water retention) of an average of 2.5lbs a day and on my last days 3-4lbs. It was serious. It also caused extreme sugar/carb cravings. That I can control, the water I cannot."

JJisblue (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2016

"Was awake and knew what I was supposed to be doing but couldn't something simple like putting on a pair of jeans to go to work carry on a conversation during the day,Not good"

Chaychay December 29, 2015

"Was dealing with cancer and was given Remeron for depression. After having surgery for the cancer which was successful I continued with the drug but was having issues with my blood pressure. My BP would drop over 20 points when I stood up and I would lose my breath when walking short distances. All symptoms went away once I quit taking the drug. I would not recommend this drug to anyone as it set my recovery back greatly."

ReadingGirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 29, 2015

"Remeron was a wonder drug for me the first month of taking it. First week - felt so happy, was eating like a pig (I'm underweight so that was amazing to see me gain so much in a week) I slept like a baby the first night and all the rest of the time I was on it. I would knock out at like 11 when I'd usually fall asleep at like 4 or 5. then the second month came around.. not sure if it was something else but I started experiencing intrusive thoughts and my OCD started kicking in A LOT. my doc took me off and now I'm spiraling down again. not sure if it was the med.. but this med worked well for awhile!"

BringOnTheRain July 5, 2015

"I've been taking remeron for a few weeks, doctor prescribed it for major anxiety and sleeplessness, as well as depression. He also thought it would help with weight gain, which I needed. Has helped with everything but the depression. Anxiety has mostly subsided to the point where I'm not paralyzed. Have gained about 5 lbs in the past two weeks, and my sleep is uninterrupted. Was very groggy in the morning at first until 10 or 11 am but that's gotten slightly better over time. Depression has not subsided, considering asking for something else to help with that."

big_p (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2015