User Reviews for Remeron to treat Depression

Remeron Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 191 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Remeron

Xag · Taken for less than 1 month June 2, 2020

“I’m on my 8th day since I started taking half of a 30mg pill before I go to sleep everyday. It helps me have a very good night sleep, has enhanced my appetite and is helping me cope and deal with the hard situation I’m facing. I am satisfied with the results so far although I feel sleepy all day long.”

Trytrytry · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 18, 2020

“I was feeling very depressed 3 years ago and I've always suffered from anxiety, I tried other anti-depressants but the side affects were horrendous so I started on 15mg Mirtazapine, they started to work after a few days. I felt calm and my anxiety reduced hugely, I also slept very well. They will give you very vivid dreams, after a few weeks I started feeling anxious/agitated during the day so I popped another pill and that did the trick after an hour. The Doc upped my dose then to 30mg and they worked great at night. But I felt very anxious in the morning so the Doc very unusually apparently prescribed 15mg for the morning, that really did the trick. Fast forward 3 years, I'm still on the 45mg and they still help me sleep, my mood however is a little on the low side, anxiety is quite bad, in a nutshell they work less and less the longer you are on them, I'm now thinking of tapering off them and trying some talking therapy even if I am a little sceptical of the value of doing so.”

Never Again May 14, 2020

“I literally split a 15mg down to into 8ths because my body is so sensitive. Wow... I have been out of it for DAYS.. I cannot stop sleeping. Put me in a horrible weird state like I don't know what's going on or like I'm truly awake. Just feel 'out of it' .. Off of a sliver! I have read contradictory things about dosing. I would indeed say and agree with that the lower doses are VERY sedating. Very weirdly vivid (not nightmarish) dreams... I had a gene test done and this medication was on my "lower doses maybe be required" I can't even imagine what a high dose would do! This is completely staying on my 'NO!' list! Be careful of this medication because it is POWERFUL. I feel like I've just been high for days. Like I've just been smoking the most dank weed and I've just been stuck in this high. When I wake up I feel like I'm manic, like I just have a huge rush of anxiety. I wanted to try this because I am experiencing "heartburn" like chest pain that isn't acid related at all..”

Dave · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 5, 2020

“I really like this medication. I‘d always been wary of antidepressants because of the well known side effects but being an SSRI I gave this one a shot. Never looked back. Gained maybe 8 pounds but you cant tell because I look and feel so much healthier and happier. Little to no side effects other than that 8 pounds, I can finally sleep again. Woke up a little dizzy in the morning for the first 2 or 3 weeks but it doesn't happen anymore. You probably WON'T ever forget to take it and you won’t be able to sleep without it once you’re on it, but my quality of life is so much higher I don't mind”

Anon · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 14, 2020

“I am an alcoholic/addict who had been self medicating through any illicit substance I could get my hands on for over 10 years. Remeron was suggested in treatment since I’ve suffered with anxiety/social anxiety/major depression for so many years that I had lost hope in ever getting better. Remeron worked fast and with counseling/meditation/exercise, and I felt like a person again. I was on Remeron for about 4 months until I tapered off my 7.5 mg dose. For me less was more. About 10 months later I noticed my depression creeping up and since I’ve been sober/clean for about 15 months I felt like I fell short in mental health maintenance (when I really didn’t) So I went to see a doctor and got back on 15mg and the next day the medication was already working better than I could have ever hoped for. I didn’t want to accept the fact that I was getting depressed but if I didn’t reach out for help it would of led me down the road to relapse.”

Coco February 19, 2020

“I was taking mirtazapine for around a year and had I been in a better space I would have gotten off it as soon as I realised it was causing certain effects on me. Minor side effects - sluggishness, major weigh gain. I was prescribed this medication due to having poor sleep but it made me have vivid awful dreams - sleep paralysis multiple times a night. I used to sleep for 14+ hours, usually in the day due to being worried about falling asleep for the nightmares. It caused me to miss lots of university - I was so tired and drowsy I could not physically get up. I wish I had been able to understand the effect it was having on my body and stop them sooner. I was severely suicidal. I made plans almost daily, even walking to the shop I thought about walking in front of buses. It was a truly awful time in my life, made worse by a medication which did not suit me. I’m glad it has worked for some, but If anyone I knew personally were to tell me they were taking it, I would advise them not to.”

Kimikat · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 14, 2020

“Remeron is great for sleep, anxiety and depression. It really works !”

will · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 31, 2020

“If you can tolerate Remeron then it can be great. It did wonders for IBS/sleep however it did make me get irritated easily and helped a little for anxiety but I was not able to give it long enough to see how much it would have helped. As I raised my dosage I had side effects that the doctor said would not go away if I continued so I had to stop it. I can also tell you that doctors seem to think this a drug that is easy to get off of but after 6 weeks and being told I can quit cold turkey it was not pleasant and obvious withdrawal symptoms. It can take a week before the drug is out of your system so this can last awhile. I would only recommend this as a last resort.”

Mnich · Taken for less than 1 month January 22, 2020

“I was prescribed 7.5 mg remeron along with 50mg of zoloft. I've only taken two doses and it left me in a zombie state for two days. I slept but I slept from 11 pm to 11 am which is obviously unrealistic. Even after I woke up I felt OUT OF IT, as if I was on drugs almost and was exhausted all day. I also felt like my thinking was off and like I couldn't even form a sentence, it is very terrifying. It is almost like my brain can't process what is going on in front of me, even my vision felt off.I don't plan on taking this anymore.”

Igor · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 8, 2020

“I've been taking Remeron for a few months now, for moderate-to-severe anxiety and mild-to-moderate depression. The only side effect has been that I gained a lot of weight (about 8kg). It helped a little in the beginning, as I was taking 15mg/day. Made no more difference when I increased to 30mg, so I went back to 15mg recently and am planning to stop it (though my psychiatrist does not entirely agree). More recently I started taking Lyrica, which is helping a lot more.”

RHamms · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 6, 2019

“I have been on 15mg Remeron for almost a year & it has been a blessing. I suffer from chronic PTSD, Depression, Anxiety, & Insomnia. My anxiety was probably least affected by the medication, but it could be due to my dose. But my depression is almost entirely gone, if it does appear the duration is typically shorter & it’s overall less intense. I get a great nights sleep almost every night which is so important for health. My frequency of night terrors has been reduced to one per season, I don’t feel as dissociated, & when I get sleep paralysis (follows my night terrors) the duration is more like 1-2 minutes vs 30 minutes, which is just about how long it used to last. So far, Remeron is doing more than I could ask for regarding my mental health. Overall I’ve felt so much better & my brain doesn’t feel off or hazy or confused. I would recommend bringing it up to your doctor if you suffer from several mental health disorders like mine because it works well for that combination.”

JakeLake · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 27, 2019

“Been using 15mg Remeron for several years now with required effect. Gained 8-10 kg first year but slowly getting rid of the weight now. Taking Remeron before bedtime and in the morning Atarax - this combo has really helped me!”

Paizon · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 10, 2019

“Been on 45mgs Remeron for 2 months which enables me to get some sleep. Everyone is different because nothing else really worked for me. With the exception of Seroquel but I had to be on a ridiculously high dose (600mgs). Remeron has caused me to eat more than I usually do. I just hope that it continues to work.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 12, 2019

“I was started on 7.5 mg of Remeron when I was having anxiety and panic attacks. Within a few days, I started feeling significantly better. A few months later, and I have had only a few minor episodes of panic. It has greatly improved my life with no major side effects.”

Anonymous August 5, 2019

“Don't take this unless you wanna feel tired/drunk all the next day. On the plus side I don't feel depressed, but this state isn't any better.”

James · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 22, 2019

“Took 15mg at night with 100mg sertraline 2 years ago. Worked but I gained loads of weight and slept for hours. On Sertraline again now been on for 2 weeks. Not sure whether to try it again with the mirtazapine as I’m losing weight...”

Speced · Taken for less than 1 month July 14, 2019

“After taking this one week I have to say I am totally sedated. If we had an earthquake ( CA) I wouldn’t be able to get off the bed. I am quitting now. I am a fall risk, new widow, and anxious. I feel like this drug is changing my heart rate and have horrible headache. Almost ER time. Please tell me someone, how long is this in my system ?. I am worried I’ll be in bed all day. Literally can’t stand up and this after 12 hrs sleep”

Ashton · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 11, 2019

“Terrible!! Never again. I gained 13 pounds and I'm normally a small person. you gain every few months. I felt like I was in the fog the whole time with no personality and I didn't realize it till I got off. I refused to gain more weight and told them I'm getting off it. They told me to just stop taking it. DONT! I did since they said to and my anxiety spiked to a 10 and after a few weeks I had a nervous breakdown. I also had insomnia for months and slept maybe 2-3 hours a night for the first two weeks until I said put me back on so I can wean myself off safely - the right way. Its been about 5 months off and I still have insomnia which could be lifelong. No one told me I would be addicted to this med.”

Mirtazapine1 · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 6, 2019

“Prior to taking mirtazapine/Remeron I had been on most SSRI, SNRI type drugs. I had chronic depression, suicidal ideation and anxiety. Before taking Mirtazapine I was starting to think all these drugs were a joke or a big con. I also didn't realise how ill I was until I started Mirtazapine, it's been a revelation! The first month I went manic and had a few side effects, since then I've had the first three years of my life without any major episodes. My insomnia has basically disappeared and I sleep like clockwork 2 hours after taking 30 mg. I can't describe just how grateful I am it's not just changed my mood but also my whole frame of reference and outlook, it's something akin to changing the colour of a lens on a camera, where once everything looked dark now everything looks bright. Anxiety The one area where it's been a help but has not solved the problem is anxiety. My anxiety has improved but I'm still trying to find a med that targets panic attacks and anxiety disorder.”

cf June 3, 2019

“I NEVER REALIZED HOW BAD I WAS UNTIL I STARTED FEELING GOOD AGAIN!! Remeron has changed my life. I had anxiety and depression and I had tried zoloft, buspar, wellbutrin, and am on lexapro still. Some of my worst anxiety symptoms were nausea, lack of appetite ,and vivid dreams. I am currently on lexapro 15 mg with 7.5 mg remeron that I started a little over a week ago. I was scared to try it because I am sensitive to medication changes but the first night I slept amazing, fell asleep easy and woke up with a quiet mind. I still had vivid dreams but I did not have an anxiety producing reaction. I was scared I would never find an answer to my anxiety disorder which resulted in depression as well. Highly recommended if dealing with insomnia, vivid dreams, and lack of appetite. I did not have any weight gain but did have food cravings for the first day or so but other than that this drug was side effect free. The weight has finally been lifted off my shoulders and the mind is much quieter.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 1, 2019

“I've been on Remeron for several years now. Primarily for insomnia but also for anxiety and depression. This medication helps me tremendously like no others I've tried. No side effects besides hunger and weight gain. Highly recommend”

KJ · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 18, 2019

“This Remeron has legit saved my life, after suffering with BPD, GAD , PDD , PTSD. At first made me very sleepy and tired but after taking it for some time I felt tired but not to the point of passing out tired, I started at dose of 7.5mg Remeron and worked up to 30mg dose and when I did my mood stabilized and I started to feel better then how I did before, I still have Intense moods but not to the degree as I used too”

Anonymous May 8, 2019

“So I’ve been taking mirtazapine a while after being hospitalized for anxiety and depression and it helps knock me out to sleep good and stop waking up in the middle of the night. It makes you sleep a lot and it’s hard for me to want to get up to go to classes. It makes me feel really tired throughout the day but it does help with anxiety and depression. I’m overweight and I’m kinda scared it will make me gain even more. It makes me more hungry all the time.”

Tiem · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 30, 2019

“Started taking Remeron 3 months ago. I have severe anxiety and insomnia which in turn caused depression. I became dependent on Ativan after being hospitalized. I took the Remeron while weaning off the Ativan. I never thought my body would recover. I suffered through the withdrawals and while wanting for the Remeron to kick in. It helped me sleep starting the first night. Ever since I’ve been sleeping average of 9 hours a night which I desperately needed. For my anxiety and depression it was a gradual effect and took almost two months to work. I’m glad I stuck with it. Don’t get discouraged when starting this med. It takes time to work. I’m happy to say I’m no longer dependent on Ativan. I only take as needed which is rare. Remeron has helped me wean off the Ativan as well as being able to function daily without constantly being on the edge.”

Simp · Taken for less than 1 month March 27, 2019

“Just started 2 weeks ago on Remeron 7.5mg and upped to 15mg last night. 50mg of Sertraline worked really well for me for 10 years but seemed to start wearing off, maybe should have upped the dose but decided to stop Sertraline due to night sweats and delay in climax. Too early to tell how this will work but sleep has been better, feel a bit spaced out the next day but hopefully will wear off. Hope this works as having bad thoughts!”