User Reviews for Remeron

Remeron Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 61 medications used in the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder.

Reviews for Remeron to treat Major Depressive Disorder

"I've been on Remeron and Abilify for a month now and I can say it is true to what the doctor says it is. I paid 8 a piece for them both, at my insurance's expense. When I first started , the first two days were horrible. I was drained and hungry as heck, but my body adapted quick. I lost 25 lbs before taking remeron and so far my weight has increased by 5 to 6lbs. I have nightmares almost every night and mood swings when I don't eat.. but thats just the downside. Overall the medicine helps me sleep, eat and feel better. I just have to get my rump back into the act of working out to avoid weight. Stay positive lovebugs <3"

Rockel (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 9, 2018

"I love love love Remeron. I have been severely depressed for more than a decade. I was on bupriopion before, but then had a seizure on it and could no longer continue. I had not taken any helpful medication for years after that. I told my doctor my problems and with the things that I was looking to have alleviated, he recommended Remeron. I have had extreme appetite suppression for a long time as well due to my depression, and I needed a medication to increase my appetite. I was having trouble sleeping due to overthinking at night. I had a lot of ideation. Remeron helped me with all of these symptoms. It helps me eat like a normal person would. It is quite sedative, so it helps with sleep, which is super important for depression, to get enough. And it helped overall with mood. A good one!"

Kay (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 7, 2018

"I think this medicine should be banned, its very dangerous it make you feel like your in a coma, dragging your body around no energy and very weak. I could hardly walk the dog and I felt constipated too. I think the reason people gain weight is because you want to eat to counteract the sluggish feeling with fuel from food - although it doesn't work. I l slept all day and night and am still to weak. I think it is a bad drug and will harm more than help. You couldn't pay me to take it again. consider a natural way instead."

jean (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2018

"I took this because I was severely suicidal and depressed due to seasonal MDD. I started it because my mother was worried and I though If I went on medication it would let her relax a little. It helped me sleep and completely erased my suicidal thoughts and urges. I got a restful full night’s sleep every night. At the start the downsides were an inability to focus, feeling extremely tired during the day and having my suicidal thoughts and urges increase drastically. These only lasted like a few days then everything was okay again. The only side effect that didn’t go away was weight gain, but I’d rather be heavier and alive than skinny and dead. I only went off of it because my depression is seasonal so I don’t need it at this time of year, but I will definitely start again in the fall."

Seasonal Sadness (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 25, 2018

"I can finally sleep! I take this along with Pristiq, and it has evened our my mood swings, depression, and insomnia. This drug is a miracle."

Jenny (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2018

"Literally a life saver. I have been on every antidepressant known to man and I thought they were all a joke, they never worked. I ended up in behavioral health facility for 2 weeks because of a major depressive episode and constant thought of suicide. They gave me this medication and I stuck with it. Initially it will make you sleepy and crave food like crazy. You will also have crazy dreams. This will pass in time. I haven’t fallen into a depression in over 3 years now , which is a record. I have recently lost my job, because of a different medical condition. I am on food stamps and might have to sell my home, but amazingly it’s no big deal to me. Remeron and other forms of therapy have changed my whole outlook on life. If anyone has tried every medication and it hasn’t worked give this one a try. Only downside at this point I can think of is, sometimes when you want to feel down or depressed ( I know it sounds weird) you are not able to."

TrustYourself (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 26, 2018

"I have had several bouts of depression in the last 30 years. SSRIs don't work for me. Tried them all. Remeron was a lifesaver. Started at 15 mgs and now up to 45 mgs. Didn't sleep well before this med. It cured my depression, anxiety, and insomnia. Only con, is weight gain which I'm working on with walking and eating a healthy diet. My husband said he rather see me chubby and happy and I totally agree. I'm so glad my doctor out me on this tricyclic antidepressant."

Remilady (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 25, 2017

"This medicine works great for me from 9 years"

Vess October 14, 2017

"After years of being on depression medication and mood stabilizers my body stopped responding to my typical medications. My doctor called me in Remeron to try out. I took this drug for 2 days and had to stop due to extreme anger andk dar thoughts that are not typically me. My other half also went on this drug for a very short time because of the same issues. This medication is horrible"

MichelleAb September 3, 2017

"I have been taking Remeron for about three years, at various dosages. It does a great job of handling my depression without aggravating my anxiety. It also gives me severe munchies, especially for carbs. But otherwise I have no side effects. Which is a first with me and antidepressants; the SSRIs in particular wrecked me. My doctor told me that usually, people who can't take SSRIs will be able to tolerate Remeron."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 30, 2017

"This medicine is a godsend. Being 100% honest I didn't like it because of the vivid nightmares but THEY DO STOP WITH CONTINUED USAGE. Don't give up too soon. The vivid nightmares stopped after my 5 day of taking this drug. Now, 2 weeks later my nightmares are gone and have normal dreams that don't involve death, violence or carnage. I sleep well and awaken rested. Some days there is a little groggy feelings in the morning but they wear off as you start moving. A cup of coffee helps as well. My appetite has increased and several people complain of weight gain. YOU WILL GAIN TOO MUCH WEIGHT IF YOU STAY SEDENTARY. I started lifting weights and doing planks and push-ups. That keeps the weight gain at bay."

G-Dub (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2017

"I have taken Remeron for over 6 years at 30mg before bedtime to treat life long suicidal depression and debilitating social anxiety. In the first few days of taking it I can say it was like a switch put to normal. It knocks me out within 1/2 hour of taking it and it is not possible to wake me into a coherent and alert state for at least 5 hours, that isn't an issue for me and the family is used to it now also. The hours of guaranteed sleep is an added bonus. I have my life back, I no longer have social anxiety & I can deal in very high pressure situations perfectly fine. I have noticed a worsening short term memory issues but given my line of work I can't say it has relationship to the med, & I will not go off med to find out."

Allswell45 June 21, 2017

"This drug saved my life. I never thought I'd say that but due to a health issue I have had chronic tension headaches that have now disappeared! Oh and my depression and anxiety are gone on this. I'm able to feel blissful. I'm able to handle tough situations. I'm able to live. Give it time to work cause it could make your life so much better."

Saved At Last June 1, 2017

"I have been anxious, paranoid and depressed since puberty (10 years). Doctors have tried SSRIs, SNRIs, and benzos, but nothing seemed to be working. The doctor wrote a script for Remeron. I was skeptical at first, and the initial side effects scared me (slurred speech, drowsiness, blurred vision), however I kept with it and I feel so much better. It is relieving being able to live without thinking I am about to get fired, or if I am getting fat (which is ridiculous. I actually have an eating disorder and I am clinically underweight). My neurotic paranoia seems to be somewhat cornered and I no longer depend on alcohol to keep me under control. I have only been on the drug for a week at 15mg. Hopefully this journey is almost over."

arnold layne (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2017

"It hit me hard. Insomnia. Bad dreams. Dilated pupils. Brain fog and headache. Freaky hungry but I countered with Tumeric Golden Tea to up my insulin resistance. I took 2 days. I was Tripppping..."

Sun Moon & Stars (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2017

"This is a wonder drug for my Depression. However, the only drawback is to me it is physically addicting."

Foxtrotz (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2016

"I slept like the dead when I took this which was great cuz I had horrible PPD and hadn't slept in weeks. But I gained 60 lbs in two months. I would retain so much water I felt like I was going to explode. Plus, anorgasmia so I discontinued it after 9 months. Horrible withdrawal."

Chouette99 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 22, 2016

"So far, I'm very happy as my nausea, vomiting, stomach cramps and anxiety have subsided. Not much relief from depression yet on day 5, but understand it takes time. It does make my tongue numb for a bit after I take it and I've had vivid dreams every night on it."

Hollz (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2016

"The first night I took it I slept for 16 hours straight (15 mgs). When I finally forced myself to get out of bed, I had this insatiable appetite. I also walked around like a zombie feeling groggy for the next day and a half. I took it on a Saturday night knowing that I didn't have to be anywhere the following day (good thing) Needless to say, I stopped taking it."

$leepy February 16, 2016

"My experience with Remeron is short. It worked wonders for me, but I stopped it as it causes awful weight gain. 21 pounds in 4 weeks. I looked pregnant. It made me more depressed. I would just eat. It does something to your brain that makes you feel as though you are never full. At night I would sneak food. I could not stop. I was at 30mg. I've heard 15 mg is worse for weight gain. Also, this drug is also given to elderly patients who are undergoing chemotherapy and also given to people with eating disorders. (Bulimia and anorexia ) As I said. In one respect, it did Wonders for me with anxiety and depression and stopped the voices in my head and helped me sleep. But I couldn't go through gaining any more weight."

Sweeks2222222 January 17, 2016

"Having failed most SSRI's Remeron was a real surprise. It calmed me, helped me sleep, helped me focus but most importantly had almost no side effects. My appetite went crazy the first week but mellowed out afterwards. I get pretty drowsy about an hour after taking it, so I only take it at bedtime. I had to drop from 45 mg to 30 mg due to it amping me up rather than sedating. Works fine, no tolerance type effects unlike Z-drugs."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 29, 2015

"Bad dreams"

gardenofeden November 23, 2015

"Just started taking this med again. I've been on more than I can count over the years. The only downfall I've had is the daytime foggy feeling which I'm hoping will subside over time. I've only been taking this less than a week and my depression symptoms have greatly improved as well as I sleep well every night. Appetite has gone up for me as well but not a concern for me at this point. Very happy overall. I will post again in a few weeks to give another update"

faith1981 November 18, 2015

"I'm on my 3rd day of 30 mg for depression and anxiety. The severity has lessened."

Bobby Pec November 2, 2015

"This is perfect for sleep at 7.5 or less. Get to sleep easily, with no worrisome thoughts before bed. I was taking it for depression after a no-go with Prozac. I couldn't handle the fatigue at therapeutic dose and now I use Wellbutrin XL 300 in morning and Remeron 7.5 at bed. I take the wellbutrin at 6am then go back to bed. When I get up at 8, I already have a lift from the Wellbutrin, one cup of coffee and absolutely no fatigue. Happy, less anxious, lost a few pounds and no sexual problems. I love this combination, and don't feel a need to change or add anything. I am curious how a higher dose of Remeron would be now, but I would hate to lose the fabulous sleep effect I get now. I am guaranteed to sleep within 30 mins. Great meds!"

Vinylfind (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 15, 2015