User Reviews for Metoprolol Succinate ER

Angina 4.0
Summary of Metoprolol Succinate ER reviews 6.3 56 reviews

Reviews for Metoprolol Succinate ER

Ko · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 8, 2020

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “I was diagnosed with SVT’s and put on metoprolol - which has helped a lot with my palpitations. Instead of multiple times per day I now only get palpitations a few times a week. I first started out on 25 mg. in the a.m., but that didn’t do the trick. Then went to 25 mg. twice a day, however, that made me extremely tired. Now I take 12.5 mg. in the a.m., & 25 mg. in the p.m. and this works! My resting heart rate has decreased between 55 - 60 bpm. But... everyone metabolizes meds differently.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 2, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I’ve been on metoprolol for almost a year now. I am only 24 and high blood pressure runs in my family, my mother had a stroke from high blood pressure and my grandfather passed from it. I had high blood pressure with my daughter but it went away after I had her and then I had my son and it never went away. I was on bystolic and it worked great for me but was to expensive so I was put on metoprolol 25 mg and it didn’t really help my bp so I was prescribed a higher dosage to 50 mg. I am constantly tired, I’ve gained weight, and I am having night sweats. If I don’t take it my heart starts hurting and I hate it. The only good thing about it for me is that it does help with my bp and my chest pain.”

Frustrated May 25, 2020

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “Cardiologist prescribed 25 mg MetoproloI/daily to correct 14 extra heart beats/min. (24 hrs. on halter monitor). My thyroid was elevated (Hashimoto 19 yrs.) In 4 months thyroid levels were normal w/ 75mcg Synthroid/daily. Extra heart beats continued so given Metropolol. After 2 years, got a few itchy hives, 2 1/2 years severe hives/rashes/welts. (Take Allegra & Flonase for allergies). I awake with hives, they subside by bed, new ones come different places next day. Lips/eyes have swollen 4 x's. Thyroid & blood tests normal. Seen allergist, dermatologist, PCP, too. I'm female, age 69, good health with chronic idiopathic urticaria (long-lasting hives, unknown cause). Visit cardio. every 6 months, last 3 visits, EKG normal. He refused to wean me off Metropolol. Blogs indicate some get hives from it. Anyone have this issue?”

TinaDeeBee · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 26, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “I've been taking Metoprolol ER, 25 mg, daily for migraine prevention. It has helped me tremendously. It has also lowered my BP, which only ran high occasionally, but needed to be addressed. I've had no bad side effects from the medication and I take it first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach. I hope my experience helps someone.”

Hope · Taken for less than 1 month February 24, 2020

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “This med is horrible. Only took 2 doses and still having severe problems with palpitations and racing heart 2.5 months later. Had episodes of extreme palpitations, chest pain, almost passing out. Can hardly do my everyday chores. Cannot exert myself. Hypersensitivity. Hope my heart returns back to normal. I hope I didn't ruin it forever.”

Melski January 22, 2020

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “I'm a 58 year old female, active, healthy. 5-2, 108 lbs. saw my family doctor, reported symptoms. Prescribed Metoprolol Succinate ER 25 mg. Break tablet in half, take for the first 6 days, then full tablet. The only symptoms I noticed is coughing / insomnia. Everyone reacts differently with medicines, As with all drugs, double sword, read online taking Metoprolol 3 years, damage brain-kidney-heart, plan on taking in under 3 years seek other alternatives or options.”

Goober 5 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 13, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “My primary put me on 25 mg per day due to palpations that started after going off of HRT patch after 25 years. Cardiologist put me on Chlorothiladone since BP was running in mid 130’s /90. The first few days was fine then my eyes were always red and itchy, upset stomach, out of breath so much that I couldn’t even walk across the room, and terrible insomnia and horrible nightmares! Asked if I could reduce it to half. Three weeks later and nothing changed so weaning off by taking every other day for three weeks. This is horrible so now I know why my cardiologist wanted me on thiazide for a month to see if palpitations stopped after lowering BP. By the way, my BP is still the same. I don’t have insurance”

BlueIce November 18, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “This is the worst blood pressure medicine I have ever taken. It cause me erectile dysfunction, memory loss, tiredness. it also gives you blurry vision. Stay away from this bad medicine. When I stopped taking this metoprolol Succinate my erection got better, I felt much better and energetic. This medicine will definitely harm your body....”

Lulubell · Taken for less than 1 month November 17, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “Took atenolol 25 for 34 years. For high blood pressure and rapid heart rate. The doc change me to metoprolol ER (extended release) so far good supposed to take 50mg started 25mg to wean into it . Nothing bad, feel good only 2nd day, so let see what this can do.”

Jackel · Taken for less than 1 month October 25, 2019

For Angina: “Very dizzy on 25mg twice a day no energy. Dizzy driving big headaches brain fog and low heart rate”

Taybay · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 23, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “Prescribed for my extremely high blood pressure and constant PVC's. Has lowered my blood pressure but has done nothing for my PVC's.”

Chin · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 13, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “My blood pressure (BP) since 2017 ablation and hybird maze has been 130/90 heart rate 50 before 2 x Tikosyn , 1x 50mg Metoprolol. I take the drugs 1 hour apart, as soon as take the metoprolol BP goes to 165-180/ 130-120 heart rate 60-70. Feel dead, fatigue, to the point of fall asleep, sedentary, short of breath...in other words all the symptom's described by all. My EP dr said increase to metoprolol to 1x 100mg, I told him my cardologist suggested take two 50mg when my rate increased as needed. He said make an appointment to see cardologist that has known my condition for 2 monthss. Cardiologist said BP is not that high recommended no changes. I'm besides myself and lost faith in my Cardiology Clinic”

Nellie · Taken for less than 1 month August 1, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “I have been on Propranolol for over 6 years and a new cardiologist switched me to this drug. I wasn't very happy and now I feel swollen inside, even my lips feel swollen. I don't really notice a huge difference from propranolol. I am checking all reviews from both drugs but I am going to switch back just as soon as I know it's safe to do so.”

Weenie · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 23, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “I have not only super high blood pressure but also very high pulse & physical anxiety symptoms. It's idiopathic; I'm young, slim & female, with good diet & no aggravating lifestyle factors. I've been this way since age 18. Tried several solutions including OTC & prescription medications, diet changes & hippie-dippie placebo stuff like breathing exercises/meditation. Currently I'm on 3 meds for my BP. The only one I really miss when I skip it is metoprolol. If I skip my ACE inhibitor or my diuretic, there's barely any difference. Skip my metoprolol? I'd better call in sick. You shouldn't give a hoot about my experience; my body chemistry has nothing to do with yours. Your body may not give a damn about beta blockers but care everything about a calcium channel blocker for all we know. All bodies are different, with a different reaction to different meds. I can't believe we're still reviewing medication like it's a one-size-fits-all deal that we can take each other's advice on.”

Mag · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 31, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “I hate this drug. I had been taking 25mg for years along with another Blood pressure pill, amlodipine. Worked okay although the metoprolol took me a long time to adjust to. It makes me feel really lousy. The side effects are terrible. Last year I had to have open heart surgery to have my aortic valve replaced. Afterwards, they put me on 100 mg of the metoprolol extended release. Oh My!! I’ve been on it for 7 months. I might as well be dead. This dosage makes me dizzy, light headed, depressed, extremely fatigued, I sleep all day, weight gain, headaches! I took half a pill each day for a few days and actually felt better. I hate this drug. I’m going to tell my cardiologist to lower my dosage way back or I’m just going to stop taking it. I feel worse then I have ever felt in my life. But hey, my BP and pulse is great!”

jjones · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 18, 2019

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “I have only been on Metroprolol Succinate ER for SVT for a few months. I started on 25mg 2x/day which was upped to 50mg 2x/day. The medication keeps my blood pressure in great range (was borderline high before). So far, I haven't had re-occurrence of SVT. I did have increased depression, but my thyroid levels were low as well. With regular exercise, the depression seems to have subsided. I gave up all caffeine which has helped with sleep and anxiety.”

Seminole · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 31, 2018

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “Oh man where do I begin. I am female 52 years and I take 75 mg Metoprolol a day, been on them for 5 years. It does a very good job keeping my heartbeat to 50s and 60s when resting but it goes up to high when I get up in the morning take a shower. I was 165 pounds when I started taking the pills and now I am 216 pounds. It has terrible side effects Like, very fatigued Can’t think clearly Short of breath My libido has disappeared completely Chest tightness Constipation Blurry vision I saw my cardiologist three weeks ago and he is talking about doing a maze procedure And I am at a point where I do anything to get off of the Metoprolol.”

Jane · Taken for less than 1 month August 15, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: “Worked well to control my blood pressure but couldn’t tolerate the side effects. Caused constant headache as well as a pressure feeling in my head and made me feel somewhat swollen all over (even though I wasn’t)”

Freckles · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 8, 2018

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “I was diagnosed with moderate/severe obstructive sleep apnea and supraventricular "events" 4 months ago. I was put on a resmed pap machine and metoprolol succinate er 25 mg. I have gained 10 pounds, I feel: no energy, chest heavy, heart pumping weak, breathing decreased/light, affect flat, tired, constipated, I can't think. My events are rare now but I don't know if my events were due to the sleep apnea and if the pap helped decrease them because I started both med and pap at same time. I miss being extroverted, energetic and outgoing. I don't know if there is any other treatment available. Ablation? I don't like this med.”

Grandma · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 21, 2018

For Angina Pectoris Prophylaxis: “I had tightening in my chest. I have had a blockage. Starting to have high blood pressure and I'm 57 also taking isosorbide these two meds are helping.”

b · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 13, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: “My experience with this drug was that I was always tired and had no energy, I was told that I had to take the drug once a day and I took it when I got home after work. My Blood Pressure skyrocketed instead of going down. It left me sleeping longer, I was cranky and crabby as well. I ran out of the product. I went back to my doctor 3-4 X and she prescribed another medicine to help lower my Blood Pressure. I took that prescription and went to Walmart, got a print out of the medication and decided not to take it. In February I changed doctors, took the empty prescription bottle with me and asked him if I needed to take it further. I ran out of the product and was taking an alternative that had Hawthorne extract, Potassium, and other nutritional supplements to lower my BP.”

Ann · Taken for less than 1 month May 17, 2018

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “I've tried to use this drug two separate times and in less than two weeks extreme, almost suicidal, depression set in along with fatigue, shortness of breath and a constant heavy feeling in the chest. It made my diastolic heart failure feel much worse. At night my heart rate was 45 even when I was wide awake. All this on just a 25 mg. starting dose. I had the same reaction to propanolol several years ago. I'll live with the SVT far more comfortably. Quality of life counts!”

Meech March 11, 2018

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “I have only been taking 3-4 days and hate it. I have the lowest dose I'm told. Went to doctors and then E.R. for second opinion and was told my heart beats are off and race. Almost 3 yrs ago I had an Ablation done where they snipped something to stop my rapid heart beats cause I was having them too often. Then this one day and they give me this. It makes me depressed and then at night my whole body hurts. But I'm fine in the morning. I have heartburn as well so have to take tums . Going back to my doctor tomorrow cause I don't want to take this anymore. Only taking 25 mg .”

Pack78 · Taken for 10 years or more January 31, 2018

For Mitral Valve Prolapse: “I’ve been on Metoprolol for years and I absolutely can not miss a day of taking a pill because this med has regulated my heartbeat within minutes of swallowing it.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 26, 2017

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “I was prescribed this to lower my heart rate, which had been averaging around 110. Originally I was prescribed the instant release, having to take two tabs a day. It dropped my heart rate to around 75. I started taking the succinate ER formulation recently, and it works well all day long with just one dose. It seems to have little to no effect on my blood pressure though, and I take lisinopril separately for that.”