User Reviews for Metoprolol Succinate ER to treat Supraventricular Tachycardia

Metoprolol Succinate ER has an average rating of 5.9 out of 10 from a total of 26 ratings for the treatment of Supraventricular Tachycardia. 46% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 38% reported a negative effect.

Metoprolol Succinate ER Rating Summary

5.9/10 average rating

Compare all 73 medications used in the treatment of Supraventricular Tachycardia.

Reviews for Metoprolol Succinate ER

J4493 November 13, 2015

“I'm a 22 year old Female. (115/5'1) Long story short, I found out I had Tachycardia and experienced palpitations as well. I had extreme anxiety because of it which made it worse. I got prescribed Metoprolol Tartrate twice a day at first and it was a nightmare. It actually had like a reverse reaction on me and gave me constant flutters for a whole day. The doctor told me to take Magnesium twice a day with it and it would help and it definitely did. I eventually switched to the extended release, once a day, along with Magnesium and I couldn't be happier. I feel a lot more relaxed and normal. Had few palps still with Tartrate but not with Succinate (yet). I wanted to wait to write a review because I know I relied on reviews. Hope this helps!”

Hope · Taken for less than 1 month February 24, 2020

“This med is horrible. Only took 2 doses and still having severe problems with palpitations and racing heart 2.5 months later. Had episodes of extreme palpitations, chest pain, almost passing out. Can hardly do my everyday chores. Cannot exert myself. Hypersensitivity. Hope my heart returns back to normal. I hope I didn't ruin it forever.”

Ko · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 8, 2020

“I was diagnosed with SVT’s and put on metoprolol - which has helped a lot with my palpitations. Instead of multiple times per day I now only get palpitations a few times a week. I first started out on 25 mg. in the a.m., but that didn’t do the trick. Then went to 25 mg. twice a day, however, that made me extremely tired. Now I take 12.5 mg. in the a.m., & 25 mg. in the p.m. and this works! My resting heart rate has decreased between 55 - 60 bpm. But... everyone metabolizes meds differently.”

Seminole · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 31, 2018

“Oh man where do I begin. I am female 52 years and I take 75 mg Metoprolol a day, been on them for 5 years. It does a very good job keeping my heartbeat to 50s and 60s when resting but it goes up to high when I get up in the morning take a shower. I was 165 pounds when I started taking the pills and now I am 216 pounds. It has terrible side effects Like, very fatigued Can’t think clearly Short of breath My libido has disappeared completely Chest tightness Constipation Blurry vision I saw my cardiologist three weeks ago and he is talking about doing a maze procedure And I am at a point where I do anything to get off of the Metoprolol.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 29, 2015

“I was having heart palpitations everyday to the point where it was really scary for me. Sometimes flutters, other times skipped beats and still others I can't explain. Had holter monitor and stress test all came back fine, cardiologist told me nothing to worry about. Gave me this med 25 mg a day 1/2 tab am and 1/2 pm. First week, tightness in my chest felt hard it was hard to breath and it made me extremely sleepy and spacy. Almost stopped taking med but I continued into my 2nd week after my Dr told me to continue side effects would subside. I am so glad I took his advice, it's been 2 months and my palitations have subsided I get a few here and there but not as intense. This was a miracle drug for me.”

Cher August 4, 2021

“I hate this medicine! I was having back to back panic attacks for five days straight just to find out it bottomed my blood pressure out. The worst brain fog I have ever experienced. My vision was horrible. The dizziness alone was horrific! I couldn’t understand why I had no energy and panic set in constantly… no sleep due too. I wouldn’t recommend this medicine for anyone.”

Melski January 22, 2020

“I'm a 58 year old female, active, healthy. 5-2, 108 lbs. saw my family doctor, reported symptoms. Prescribed Metoprolol Succinate ER 25 mg. Break tablet in half, take for the first 6 days, then full tablet. The only symptoms I noticed is coughing / insomnia. Everyone reacts differently with medicines, As with all drugs, double sword, read online taking Metoprolol 3 years, damage brain-kidney-heart, plan on taking in under 3 years seek other alternatives or options.”

jjones · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 18, 2019

“I have only been on Metroprolol Succinate ER for SVT for a few months. I started on 25mg 2x/day which was upped to 50mg 2x/day. The medication keeps my blood pressure in great range (was borderline high before). So far, I haven't had re-occurrence of SVT. I did have increased depression, but my thyroid levels were low as well. With regular exercise, the depression seems to have subsided. I gave up all caffeine which has helped with sleep and anxiety.”

Bshawmom · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 16, 2021

“I can't believe it took me this long to correlate my symptoms with this pill and I'm a 25 year RN. 46 years old and have had SVT since my 20s. A couple years ago I had a 24 hr stay to evaluate HR of 165. All testing normal. No treatment. A year later back in ER with pulse of 250. I was given Adenosine to convert me and then given Metoprolol Succinate 25mg daily. I've been on it a year. I noticed some tiredness but nothing major. Over the next year my tiredness became debilitating and I suffered severe depression, insomnia, and panic attacks. I didn't make the connection and blamed it on the pandemic and all the isolation and restrictions everywhere. I thought I was just having a hard time coming. Then the drenching night and day sweats started. Still I blamed it on perimenopause. But then came the heat and activity intolerance. Minimal activity caused me to become SOB , shake, and drenched in sweat. Sleep was non existent. I began having numbness in legs and feet.”

Freckles · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 8, 2018

“I was diagnosed with moderate/severe obstructive sleep apnea and supraventricular "events" 4 months ago. I was put on a resmed pap machine and metoprolol succinate er 25 mg. I have gained 10 pounds, I feel: no energy, chest heavy, heart pumping weak, breathing decreased/light, affect flat, tired, constipated, I can't think. My events are rare now but I don't know if my events were due to the sleep apnea and if the pap helped decrease them because I started both med and pap at same time. I miss being extroverted, energetic and outgoing. I don't know if there is any other treatment available. Ablation? I don't like this med.”

Rose_budd · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 25, 2017

“My experience is that while Metoprolol Succinate ER controls my Sinus Tachycardia, I have difficulty with glucose control, high triglycerides, swelling in my ankles, severe muscle cramps at times, and shortness of breath. Before taking Metoprolol my memory was great, now not so much.”

Frustrated May 25, 2020

“Cardiologist prescribed 25 mg MetoproloI/daily to correct 14 extra heart beats/min. (24 hrs. on halter monitor). My thyroid was elevated (Hashimoto 19 yrs.) In 4 months thyroid levels were normal w/ 75mcg Synthroid/daily. Extra heart beats continued so given Metropolol. After 2 years, got a few itchy hives, 2 1/2 years severe hives/rashes/welts. (Take Allegra & Flonase for allergies). I awake with hives, they subside by bed, new ones come different places next day. Lips/eyes have swollen 4 x's. Thyroid & blood tests normal. Seen allergist, dermatologist, PCP, too. I'm female, age 69, good health with chronic idiopathic urticaria (long-lasting hives, unknown cause). Visit cardio. every 6 months, last 3 visits, EKG normal. He refused to wean me off Metropolol. Blogs indicate some get hives from it. Anyone have this issue?”

Meech March 11, 2018

“I have only been taking 3-4 days and hate it. I have the lowest dose I'm told. Went to doctors and then E.R. for second opinion and was told my heart beats are off and race. Almost 3 yrs ago I had an Ablation done where they snipped something to stop my rapid heart beats cause I was having them too often. Then this one day and they give me this. It makes me depressed and then at night my whole body hurts. But I'm fine in the morning. I have heartburn as well so have to take tums . Going back to my doctor tomorrow cause I don't want to take this anymore. Only taking 25 mg .”

JR44933 · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 17, 2015

“I wanted to add on a couple things to my previous review. Everyone warned me about how tired I was going to be since this medication would literally be slowing my heart down but I've never experienced that. I don't sleep much and have insomnia so that could be why. I also have experienced crazy dreams and I sleep walk from time to time. I've always had dreams and talked in my sleep but I think the medication makes it a little worse especially if you're taking it closer to bed time. I do get a little light headed if I stand up quick and bend down but it's not bad. The benefit I get from this medication outweighs any of these insignificant side effects. I would recommend to push through any side effects and let the medication adapt to you!”

Tena · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 30, 2020

“In May of 2020, while in the hospital for knee replacement, I went into SVT heart rate of 200, I was put on metoprolol succ er 50, in August of 2020 I had SVT ablation, was ok up until Dec 2020, I had a sleep study test, no sleep apnea thank goodness, but my heart rate went up to 240. I have been having palpitations, very jittery all of a sudden, has anyone had a similar experience? I will see cardiologist end of the week.”

northernsky61 August 8, 2011

“This by far has been the best medication (beta blocker) that has 100% kept my Atrial Tachycardia under control/and during an episode of A.T. Zero side effects for me at least. I have been on Lopressor for 30 years. I have tried numerous other medications to control my arrhythmia, but Metroprolol is the best. Tried Tenormin, which was okay for a while, but the side effects were too weird --fainting, numbness, cold extremities and I think it did something strange to my thought process.”

Ann · Taken for less than 1 month May 17, 2018

“I've tried to use this drug two separate times and in less than two weeks extreme, almost suicidal, depression set in along with fatigue, shortness of breath and a constant heavy feeling in the chest. It made my diastolic heart failure feel much worse. At night my heart rate was 45 even when I was wide awake. All this on just a 25 mg. starting dose. I had the same reaction to propanolol several years ago. I'll live with the SVT far more comfortably. Quality of life counts!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 26, 2017

“I was prescribed this to lower my heart rate, which had been averaging around 110. Originally I was prescribed the instant release, having to take two tabs a day. It dropped my heart rate to around 75. I started taking the succinate ER formulation recently, and it works well all day long with just one dose. It seems to have little to no effect on my blood pressure though, and I take lisinopril separately for that.”

Delmarie020 · Taken for less than 1 month October 11, 2016

“My doctor prescribed me Metoprolol Succinate ER 25mg and advised me to take half first few days. When I did, I began to have a rush down my body and severe tremors began. My heart rate jumped to 138, it was pounding. I tried laying down, still. I even had chest pain. I usually get low blood pressure but I only felt very tired, not dizzy or fainty. I called my doctor, and he asked me to go to the ER to make sure everything is okay. I did. They did XRAY, blood work, gave me IV to flush it out. Everything was normal. My HR kept jumping from 67 to 105 suddenly. I was told to stop taking it. I am bummed out because I was looking forward to this helping me. After everything, my HR has was 54 resting and 72 active. It did afterwards!”

Anonymous June 19, 2016

“My cardiologist prescribed one half Watson metaprolol succinate 25 to normalize heart rate in Dec. and this is new form for me and is much better product than Mylan metaprolol tartrate I was on before, it caused breathing and chest discomfort and I quit taking it. I don't like taking a beta blocker but Watson product I feel is much better and it can help me control heart rate.”

Sam · Taken for less than 1 month May 13, 2021

“I have POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) and tried to switch from atenolol to metoprolol 12.5 mg x 2 day. Zero effect so far. Raised diastolic BP and completely bedridden due to HR that seems getting higher by hour.”

flyinion · Taken for less than 1 month June 20, 2017

“Prescribed 50mg day for post AFib/flutter ablation rate control while healing for a month or so. I've taken the regular non ER version before for similar reasons after coming out of AFib/flutter but usually had to stop very soon due to dropping rate and BP below the low end of the normal ranges. So far the ER tabs seem to be not as aggressive on that, but I'm not sure if I'll make the full recovery time with them. I haven't had any of the "loopiness" or fog that I've had with the non ER version which were 25's cut in half 2x day.”

aregular23yrold · Taken for less than 1 month July 28, 2021

“I’ve been on beta blockers before and this one really took me for a ride. Was fine and slowed down a 5 day episode of palpitations but after day 3 I had intense body aches and head aches the craziest brain fog I just did not feel like myself told the dr and they said take half (of a 25 mg) and ended up blacking out 3 hours later please beware because I really felt like I was going crazy and one day off I already feel better”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 12, 2012

“The side effects outweighed any benefits. Extreme fatigue, weight gain, muscle and joint soreness.”

Wykesha March 24, 2017

“I do not like this medicine I have gained a lot of weight, runny nose, tired all the time and very bad and crazy dreams.”

Learn more about Supraventricular Tachycardia