User Reviews for Demerol

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Demerol.

Demerol Rating Summary

9.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 1812 medications used in the treatment of Pain.

Reviews for Demerol to treat Pain

"Fractured my 61 year old hip in January 2017. I have been using Fentanyl patches for 2 years, 100mcg and Percocet for breakthrough. These are meds for some painful back, neck and nerve conditions. Also get accupuncture treatments. I knew about demeral after breaking multiple bones in a car accident in 1982. In the hospital the nurse came regularly with an injection. Upon release I received long and short acting meds one being demeral. Since that time I've required pain medication, the most recent the fractured hip which required surgery. The hospital gave me a demeral injection only one time, after surgery to get me to my room. It's the only 40 mins I wasn't in strong pain. It's beyond my understanding why demeral is withheld."

Barpap (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am allergic to morphine and that is how I ended up taking Demerol.I was born with Sickle Cell Anemia Disease.This causes me to experience extremely painful episodes in my joints which are crippling at times and can last for one to two months.Enough about me can someone just please tell us why they would discontinue the most helpful and healing medication ever invented."

wannaknoplz March 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had a tubual pregnancy in 1984. Never even had stitches in my life before that. There was alot of pain. I was so thankful for demerol , believe me ! The nurse gave injection around hip ,butt area and it made me so relaxed and out of pain that I could sleep. Thankful for that drug."

Resting in peace September 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For those of you having trouble finding Demerol or any other hard to find analgesics, or any medication for that matter, forget big chains. Try going to the closest hospital pharmacy. They tend to carry things that other pharmacies do not. They also are able to more order things much easier because as a hospital, they must have these things available for people with allergies, etc. I wish the FDA/DEA would realize how harmful NSAIDs (especially ibuprofen) can be, and that everyone is different. What works for one may have horrible side effects for another. When taken responsibly narcotic analgesics are less harmful to the body, and this is a subject that i have researched extensively. For now, try bringing ur scrip to the hospital pharmacy!"

Dr. Feel-normal (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My lifelong Dr retired a year ago, he prescribed me Meperidine 100mg tabs QID, and MS Contin 60mg TID. Best relief and combo for pain EVER! No side effects, NO pain! He also gave me IM shots of Meperidine 100ng-150mg, mixed with Valium 10mg in office, as needed for breakthrough Crohns symptoms. My new doctor kept me on the MS Contin, but refuses to provide Meperidine. He switched me to Oxymorphone IR 10mg, 1-2 tabs QID as needed. It doesn't come close to providing the pain relief the Meperidine did, for my back, shoulder, and Crohns related pain! I don't know what the big deal is with the Opana, it sure doesn't help me at all!! Show me all the charts you want to, Opana does not work as good as Demerol!, nor anything else I've been put on!"

Johnny C. July 30, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Dulls pain from Fibromyalgia including bad headache, lower back and lower neck pain. Only problem is that BIG PHARMA is making it tough to get. They want everyone hooked on NSAIDS and Acetaminophen. The side effects form NSAIDS are far worse than Demerol and similar Opiods. Using NSAIDS or Acetaminophen causes me serious Blood Pressure increases taking me well in to the danger zone. Demerol not only has no side effects, at least for me, but actually lowers my BO. If forced to take NSAIDS, I would have to take BP meds which for most part I am allergic to. I take Demerol, as a last resort only when actually needed normally < 5mth."

glgl2238 July 1, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Given for shoulder surgery. Worked better than any meds I've taken. I can sleep at night. I don't take them often just when the pain is unbearable."

Keeks101 May 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I suffer from bladder seizures. My doctor put me on demerol in 1997. I take 100mg twice a day. I have tried other meds, such as Percocet, oxycodone but those gave me too many side effects. I'm allergic to codeine. Each month I see my doctor and get a new prescription. I just found out my pharmacy ( Medicine Shop) cannot get it in any size dosage anymore! I tried Walgreens, Walmart and CVS. No one carries it or is willing to try to get it. What's going on? My only alternative is 12-16 Advil a day, every day."

Brick wall March 19, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Demerol provides very clean pain relief. It simply turns off the pain like a switch. I felt no euphoria, numbness, thickening or noticeable impairment. It is highly restricted and after the critical period the medication was switched to something less addictive yet far less effective and carrying unwanted baggage. "

Drugs.com Reviewer (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had ruptured disks in my spine due to an ongoing issue I was having. I cannot take morphine because it does not react well with me. My doctor gave me 100 mg. 2X a day and for once in my life I didn't want to die anymore because I was in so much pain. I had tried everything Tylenol to oxycontin. Nothing even touched it. So I was very pleased and relieved when I found something that worked. And I can even move around with less pain."

mooshoo (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 17, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The last 4 weeks of my pregnancy, I began suffering severe gall bladder issues. After birth, I tried to tough it out, due to nursing. Ten weeks later (14 weeks on) I was in pain unlike anything I'd ever known! A stone had passed out of my gall bladder into the common duct shared with the pancreas, and had lodged in my pancreas - I was also suffering severe pancreatitis. AGONY would've been a blessing. After trying numerous medicines that didn't touch the pain, I was given Demoral. OH! MY! GAWD! I was in tears, because for the first time in months, I didn't feel like I was on Death's door. I'd forgotten what it meant to be pain - free! Every few hours, beautiful nurses came, and "topped me off". My "con"? For the first 20 minutes, I couldn't shut up!"

Donna le Bête-Noire (taken for less than 1 month) June 4, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Got Demerol at ER when I had severe abdominal pain. I watched her inject it while I was sitting up. I immediately felt warm and got a head-rush. Great Medication, took ALL the pain away."

Austin0533 May 14, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medicine was given to me at hospital after my car accident. It worked great, except it made me nauseated and I vomited after a large dose. Works really well."

Krickee August 28, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have arthritis and have tried many over the counter medicines as Aspirin, Motrin, etc. These medicines increased my diastolic blood pressure upwards of 30 points. (I already have high blood pressure). The doctor then tried Oxycodone and again my BP went significantly up. Hydrocodone had the same result. As a last resort for a pain med I was given Demerol (50MG). No increase in BP and no side effects. It takes upwards of two hours to kick in but does a good job of numbing pain. Apparently I am sensitive to all NSAIDS. (Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications). "

ChocBrutus (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Used for kidney stones and tooth operations. Made me sing like a Beatle."

DougPal February 18, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was given this for pain associated with Crohn's disease and for a migraine during a hospital stay. It works great for pain, lasting longer than Dilaudid. Only down side is both times it made me throw up even though I was given anti nausea medication 30 minutes beforehand."

lola99 (taken for less than 1 month) February 10, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medicine is sadly being used less and less in the emergency rooms. I am tolerant to morphine and allergic to many other pain medications. Demerol not only stops the pain but it stops it for a good 14-16 hours if I am given 100 mg IM with 50 mg Gravol. I walk out of the ER on my own like I took a Tylenol. Takes a few hours to kick in but when it does I usually get the best 10-12 hours of sleep which helps decrease the pain since I can rest and let my muscles be at rest. I pray they do not discontinue this medicine. It helps many people for break through pain where others don't, especially for use people with CRPS and Fibromyalgia. It's a miracle medicine for me. I use this about 3 to 4 times a year if needed for breakthrough pain lasting more than 72 hours."

XcrossbonesX (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 4, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Excellent fast acing and long acting pain medicine without nausea and vomiting associated with most all other pain medications."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I suffer from severe chronic Migraines. At least once a week I have to go in and get a shot. I hate to do it but the pain is so severe that that is the only option right now."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 11, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Just wanna say Demerol is the best pain reliever I've ever taken. I received in the ER through IV. I have Crohn's disease and it worked better then anything else I was given."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 26, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Great pain relief after abdominal surgery"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I went into the hospital over the weekend for a pancreas attack. Nothing can be done for you other than pain management. I was given Demerol via IV and had the best sleep of my life that entire weekend. It was almost like a great vacation. It went in the IV, I said bye bye, and fell asleep for hours with no pain. I loved it, no withdrawal symptoms, no side effects. "

Anonymous March 7, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had a blood clot in my left lung. The pain, which morphine wouldn't even come close to touching, was unbearable. Every time I took a breath I would get a sharp stabbing pain. For 3 days I sat in a the chair in my hospital room because I couldn't lay back or put pressure on my back because of the pain. Then one night it got so bad that The nurse called my doctor and was able to give me a shot of Demerol. Needless to say that was the first night I actually slept and pretty comfortably I might add. Within 2 min of the shot the pain was completly gone and I could breath again."

Anonymous February 7, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was in the ER for a broken orbital bone and they gave me a shot of Demerol and I felt like a million bucks. Instant relief. World's better than Morphine."

Anonymous November 21, 2011

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication even though only one half absorbed orally was the best pain medicine I have ever used for my Lupus pain. It worked fast and if I was not in Pain in 3-4 hrs. I did not have a hung over effect. I have not taken this medicine in several years because the pain medicines were swapped to Dilaudid for several years. Demerol is not as strong which was great and did not cause constipation."

sick and in pain July 6, 2011