User Reviews for Midazolam

Also known as: Nayzilam Seizalam

Midazolam has an average rating of 4.5 out of 10 from a total of 94 ratings on Drugs.com. 37% of those users who reviewed Midazolam reported a positive effect, while 55% reported a negative effect.

Light Sedation   4.6
Light Anesthesia   4.5
ICU Agitation   3.5
Summary of Midazolam reviews 4.5 94 reviews

Reviews for Midazolam

M March 6, 2021

For Light Sedation: “I was given 5mg of Midazolam as IV sedation for wisdom teeth removal. Did not work at all. I was completely awake and aware during the procedure. I don't recommend it.”

Nicolle m February 9, 2021

For Light Sedation: “Interesting to read other people’s experiences. I was in for a trans-oesophageal echocardiogram (TOE) procedure (a probe into the airway down to the heart and underneath to take pictures of the heart). I had 5mg midazolam by IV and this drug didn’t touch me. Wide awake throughout and asking the Dr to remove the probe as I couldn’t suffer it for any longer. Disappointed. They were saying that 2 mg would usually knock out a rugby player. I’m a slim woman in her late 40s who drinks occasionally and doesn’t take drugs other than blood thinners!”

H · Taken for less than 1 month January 12, 2021

For Light Sedation: “Given 2.5mg of Midazolam for sedation during upper GI endoscopy. It didn't do a thing. I was fully awake, fully knew what was going on, could feel everything. Had to have head held as was gagging so much . This drug had no effect on me whatsoever.”

Dstrdlx · Taken for less than 1 month January 9, 2021

For Light Sedation: “I was administer 5MG of Midazolam through IV prior to surgery to help with anxiety and to calm my nerves. It was an overall great experience. I didn’t feel “heavy” or “sedated” I felt calm and happy. I became talkative and relaxed. I highly recommend this medication for people prior to surgery”

Serialmom · Taken for less than 1 month December 22, 2020

Versed (midazolam) for Light Anesthesia: “It is my goal in life to get this awful drug off the market. I was given way too much of this and I am permanently disabled with chronic depression anxiety and post traumatic stress disorder. Do your research on Versed and you’ll see what I mean and always tell and anesthesiologist that you don't want it so they don’t give it to you. They also try to lie and say it’s a pain reliever it’s not all versed it does is remove your memory and unfortunately sometimes that is permanent.”

Mr colon · Taken for less than 1 month December 19, 2020

For Light Sedation: “I was given midazolam by the NHS for an endoscopy and colonoscopy. 5mg along with another dose of fentanyl I'd had the maximum legal dosage and I was still wide awake. Thankfully the procedure wasn't too painful but the nurses seemed very surprised that I was awake and able to hold a full conversation with them. They asked if I was a heavy drinker (nope) and I do not use drugs recreationally. Strange how I was able to stay fully awake on such a high dosage. Afterwards I was slightly drowsy and dizzy.”

DeonKoen · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 10, 2020

For Light Sedation: “I have used midazolam for years on and off and went for my gastroscopy today. All I did was tell the doctor that I had a high tolerance, and he adjusted the dosage via IV It really was an amazing experience to see how well this medicine works. I was fast asleep and was not aware of anything!”

Thilly · Taken for less than 1 month December 4, 2020

For Light Sedation: “Requested sedation prior to Colonoscopy due to medical anxiety. Given 2mg Midazolam in combination with 50mcg Fentanyl, both intravenously. Did NOT work. I started to panic as they started the procedure and I was 100% awake. Specialist explained that it would sedate but not put me to sleep because they need you to move around. I told him that I was not sedated AT ALL. The procedure was okay at first but because parts of my bowel has adhesions on the outside, the procedure was extremely painful when they were 'going around corners'. They had to check my entire bowel and do 7 biopsies. They should have used intravenous Valium or similar. I would NOT recommend this type of sedation for Colonoscopy.”

Belal · Taken for less than 1 month November 27, 2020

For Light Sedation: “I had both a colonoscopy and a gastroscopy 2 days ago. I'm 26 years old, non-smoker and I take no pain relievers. The doctor said I'd feel nothing during the procedure after administering Dormicon (Midazolam). Yet it didn't work at all. I was completely conscious, I gagged and vomited and felt unbearable pain in my esophagus and colon. And right away after the procedure I could walk on my own and couldn't feel a speck of drowsiness. The doctor couldn't clearly explain it to me, even though he gave 2 doses, and still I didn't sleep or feel drowsy during the whole procedure.”

Verum · Taken for less than 1 month November 16, 2020

Versed (midazolam) for Light Anesthesia: “I have taken this medication twice before going into an operation. The first time time the medication worked really well and right after taking it everything went blank and I just woke up right after. The second time however I believe my body somehow adapted to the drug and I was fully awake and aware of what was going on after taking the medication. Luckily they put me to sleep with another anesthesia once I got to the operating room, but I would not take this medicine for something like a dental procedure or something where you're going to be awake because there is a possibility that it won't make you blank out and you'll remember everything that happened unfortunately.”

Mags November 13, 2020

For Light Sedation: “I had a colonoscopy today. The pre procedure written information stated that there would be an hour and a half recovery time from the 'anaesthetic'. The intavenous sedation was in fact Midazolam. Unfortunately it had no effect at all and I was completely conscious during and after wards. I experienced a lot of pain during the colonoscopy which was clearly observed by the consultant and the attending nurses. Afterwards I queried this to the consultant and he responded that all patients get the same dose and that there is no way they can know if it will work with a particular patient or not. He suggested that strong painkillers or sleeping tablets could impede it's effectiveness- neither of these possibilities is relevant in my case. I'm a 69 year old woman of slim build, and have never had something similar happen before.”

Never again · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 27, 2020

For Light Anesthesia: “I was given an IV of midazolam with fentanyl for light sedation during for an ESI. I never became sedated, was fully aware and I jumped sky high when the stuck me in my lumbar nerve/spine. So painful. I also ended up with a massive dural headache afterwards because I jumped! I'm never going back to that doctor again! This drug is not good a good choice for many people from what I've read. Additionally, your brain still recognizes the pain irregardless if you forget the procedure which I did not of course because I was wide awake and felt everything. I also have witnessed some of my elderly friends that were given this drug while in the throws of death while nursing homes, hospice situations, and in the hospitals. It was as if they had lost their minds to pain and laid screaming, & crying out; they couldn't even speak because they were given this horrible drug.”

Alli · Taken for less than 1 month September 10, 2020

For Light Anesthesia: “I had fentanyl and Versed IV, they didn't work at all. Cried through whole procedure of getting pacemaker inserted.”

Confused · Taken for less than 1 month September 4, 2020

Versed (midazolam) for Light Anesthesia: “Sharing for my mom because I'm curious if anyone is basically unaffected by Versed. My mom went in for cataract surgery. She's an RN and super familiar with the process. They ended up giving her 6 mg of it and she was completely awake and unaffected. She was so unaffected by versed, that a couple hours after her surgery she went back to pick up her car and still needed Trazadone to fall asleep (she's prescribed this for insomnia). Thankfully she said there was zero pain, just felt like pressure. Does anyone else have similar experiences with Versed?”

Versed Busters · Taken for less than 1 month August 16, 2020

Versed (midazolam) for Light Sedation: “Had paradoxical reaction before hernia repair - was supposed to be light sedation but instead had to be put under to finish the surgery. Had anxiety attacks for years after. Had numerous operations - before and since - with nothing but local, and they were fine. Two hand surgeries involved Fentanyl, which I have no issue with. For me, Versed is the PCP of Benzodiazepines.”

Ticking clock · Taken for less than 1 month July 18, 2020

For Light Sedation: “At 6pm I had Versed 3mg. I was having a heart cath done so needed to be sedated. The worse part was the initial plunge of the scope going into my leg. I was moving my leg so they strapped it. I told them calmly it was hurting and was assured I would not remember a thing. I watched the blue meds flowing and saw all of my arteries including 2 previous stents. I was excited to see no major blockages and know I had one small amount in one artery. The Dr said the amount was unnecessary to stent. It hurt terribly when he had to apply pressure to my upper thigh to stop bleeding. The kind Dr wrote a thorough report. He talked to me this morning and was shocked at my play by play . I pray I don’t have to do this again.”

Concussion x2 · Taken for less than 1 month June 10, 2020

For Light Sedation: “I was given versed 3mg, twice in the last month for C2-5 test injections. All I remember of the procedure each time is “being told I would feel a pinch.” I did not feel all six. After the procedure I remember moving to the gurney, but don’t remember going to the recovery area. It took me about a half hour to come truly aware of where I was and what was going on with each procedure. I am scheduled for rhizotomies in the next few weeks and look forward to having the versed again. As a teen I had Valium for an upper GI and came to in the middle of it. It still haunts me 30 years later. Teens and kids metabolize sedation quickly so I was glad to have something that worked so well.”

monica · Taken for less than 1 month May 28, 2020

For Light Sedation: “I went into hospital today for a gastroscopy investigation - I was given 2mg Midazolam - I had also explained to the doctor that I have difficulty swallowing and that I would like to have a very strong sedation to send me to sleep and also to prevent me from feeling any pain during the procedure. How ever although I had a needle inserted at the back of my hand prior to going into the Theater I do not remember or see any one giving the injection. I was wide awake and very uncomfortable when they were trying to make me swallow the tube which had to be abandoned because I just could not swallow the tube-”

CaT May 16, 2020

For Light Sedation: “I had this drug midazolam yesterday during dental treatment in hospital. I am 23 and absolutely terrified of the dentist so I went in distressed and crying. Somehow I’ve noticed I’ve been getting something like flashbacks, but I don’t know if it actually happened or not. I vaguely remember telling a story and forgetting what I was trying to say and couldn’t finish my story. I also had taken a selfie and video of myself crying with laughter that I don't recall at all. But I find it quite funny. Even reading through messages I sent is hilarious because I can’t recall sending them. Today I noticed though my memory is still very odd. For example: my dog had walked down the hall and then I was sitting on sofa on phone and then he was sitting beside me. Also, on a call to my friend I had just stopped talking and she had to ask if I was there, and I forgot I was on the phone to her. I’m just assuming this may take a while before it’s fully worn off.”

goodpatient April 19, 2020

For Light Sedation: “I had midazolam to sedate me for performing colonoscopy and gastroscopy together and it was a very good experience :) No pain, no memory, no problem. midazolam is the reason that you don't need general anesthesia or propofol for this and similar exams.”

Driskey March 10, 2020

Versed (midazolam) for Light Anesthesia: “I've had this drug several times for dental procedures and I just recently learned that people are actually AWAKE while on this! I always thought it put me to sleep! At least I feel that way! I am so thankful for this drug!!! Each and every time I am given Versed, I don't remember a thing about my procedure. This last time, I don't even remember coming home. It was awesome!!!! This drug is truly a life saver for people terrified of procedures.”

Ashe · Taken for less than 1 month March 2, 2020

For Light Sedation: “I was just given Versed today, as a light sedative for lumbar facet injections. I have diagnosed anxiety and PTSD, I was already very scared though I try to hold it together because I hate causing a scene. I never felt dizzy, sleepy, or impaired in any way. I felt every prick and movement of every injection (6 of them!) I kept going "Ow! That hurts!" The whole time. I wish they had taken my asking for something stronger more seriously, because it was pointless to give me that. I told them I was terrified. I wish there was a zero option because versed did nothing for me at all.”

MC · Taken for less than 1 month February 26, 2020

Versed (midazolam) for Light Sedation: “My dad was given versed during a colonoscopy at the VA and he never recovered his memory. He was absolutely independent prior to the versed. He was robbed of the rest of his life because of this drug.”

Dodo · Taken for less than 1 month January 23, 2020

For Light Anesthesia: “Had it for Bronchoscopy. Didn’t put me to sleep. Did not experience the procedure or remember. It made me feel very high! I am 72 and have never taken any recreational drugs. I have severe arthritis but came home an hour from a the procedure no joint pain and felt strong and very energetic. Felt like I could have run a marathon! Is this an unusual reaction?”

San · Taken for less than 1 month January 20, 2020

Versed (midazolam) for Light Anesthesia: “I had versed 2 weeks ago for endoscope and was totally awake with the endoscope Never happened before very disappointed”