User Reviews for Haloperidol

2.7

Aggressive Behavior

Summary of Haloperidol reviews 5.5 78 reviews

Reviews for Haloperidol

Haldol (haloperidol) for Tourette's Syndrome: "I was on it for my Tourette’s and yeah it did work but I gained over 100lbs when I was on this medication so I took myself off it cause my doctors wouldn’t listen."

CJ (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 29, 2018

For ICU Agitation: "While sleeping in a hospital I had a night terror and acted strange (but I was not psychotic) and the stupid hospital staff injected me with Haloperidol although Diazepam would've been enough to calm me. I fell asleep instantly and the next day for the first 12 hours I felt pleasantly dazed, almost like being drunk. Then I started having a strong urge to constantly look upwards (oculogyric crysis). I also had severe painful neck spasms and my eyes became crossed. I spent 4 hours standing on a bed and starring at the ceiling because I move my eyes. The doctors and nurses were very rude to me and told me I am fine and just imagining symptoms. Finally they injected me with Akineton and the spasms slowly went away, but it took a long time for my eyes to go back to normal. Probably the worst experience of my life!"

TroubledMan (taken for less than 1 month) July 11, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting: "Used for stomach pain in ER. It’s been almost 24 hours since I've had the medication through an IV for severe stomach cramping which sent me to the ER in the first place. I’m debating on whether or not to go back tonight since it’s made me so restless and anxious. Awful medication would not recommend this to anyone."

Anonymous July 10, 2018

For Tourette's Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with Tourette's back in 1988 when I was 12 and tried lots of meds but the haldol/haloperidal works really well for me. I've been taking it for 25 yrs or so and I've never had a single side effect that I am aware of. I take 1 mg 3 times per day and honestly, when I take it on time each and every day if you didn't know I had tourette's you'd never guess it. My dr does a liver panel every 6 months before I get refills to make sure it's not doing me harm. I am 42 yrs old now so who knows how it will effect me as I get older but as of now I have no intentions of getting off of it....My experience."

This Guy (taken for 10 years or more) July 8, 2018

Haldol (haloperidol) for Nausea/Vomiting: "Worked great and quickly"

tre June 21, 2018

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "Takes time but does relieve anxiety quite well."

Nikki0412 (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2018

For Mania: "It made me more stable I got less angry and less excited- that is the point of it I think. I usually take 5-10 drops or at the most 20 drops a day, any more than that causes problems."

lifewater (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2018

For Psychosis: "I was extremely irritable and anxious and delusional. I still have delusions but only been taking for 1 day. I feel better much less obsessive on the odd thoughts I was having. My sleep is also back on track as it was all over the place hopefully the longer I take it the better it gets but so far feeling much better overnight"

Jc222 May 2, 2018

For Tourette's Syndrome: "I was on haloperidol for 10+ years. It is NOT supposed to be a long term medicine. (But apparently my doctor at the time didn't care.) I switched doctors and they weaned me off of it. Although I still went through withdrawals because I became dependent on it. I also developed cervical dystonia because of haloperidol. (Cervical dystonia is a very painful condition where your neck muscles move involuntarily, causing your head to twist to one side. It can also cause your head to uncontrollably tilt forward/backward.) And now I have to get 10-12 shots in my neck every 3 months to help with the pain. So just be careful when prescribed this medication!"

Hayley012345 (taken for 10 years or more) May 2, 2018

For Psychosis: "I have psychotic depression but have also been diagnosed as schizoaffective. I was put on haldol the last time I was put in the psych ward. It worked for my anxiety and delusions, didn't make them worse like most antipsychotics, but I did sleep pretty much constantly the next week while hospitalized. I'm not sure why that wasn't concerning to the doctors. I took it for the next 11 months and even with exercise and attempts at dieting could only manage to go up and down 10 lbs. I had gained 120lbs on Resperdal that I wanted to get off. After 11 months my weight just started shooting up and I just kept gaining until I took myself off haldol. I stopped gaining off and managed to lose weight . It also messed with my cholesterol and I slept over 10 hours a day on it, closer to 14. I never felt like myself either but was the most functional that I have been on psych meds. All these symptoms have gone away since I stopped the drugs. I also took wellbutrin and lexapro."

Jess April 20, 2018

For Psychosis: "Saved me without a doubt from psychosis don’t know what I’d of done without it. it was also great for my extreme anxiety. I used to take 5mg nightly within 2 hours I'd feel calm and relaxed, a bit sleepy the only side effect a bit restless but nothing I could not deal with I think the old drugs definitely still have use!"

Ladtad91 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 8, 2018

For Psychosis: "Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking haloperidol: More common Difficulty with speaking or swallowing inability to move the eyes loss of balance control mask-like face muscle spasms, especially of the neck and back restlessness or need to keep moving (severe) shuffling walk stiffness of the arms and legs trembling and shaking of the fingers and hands twisting movements of the body weakness of the arms and legs"

Carlo (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I was given this drug years ago after being found homeless and brought onto a psych ward. A nurse had walked into my room as I was half asleep and said "Here, take this. It will help you feel better. " and handed me a pink pill with some water. I took the pill and went back to sleep and two hours later upon waking, I found my jaw going into spasms and contortions and my tongue hanging out of my mouth like a dog's. It was impossible for me to speak for 2 hours having no control of my tongue. It was awful. I later found out the pill that i had been given was Haldol."

guinea_pig (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2018

Haldol (haloperidol) for Nausea/Vomiting: "Went to ER for uncontrollable vomiting and stomach pain. Haldol was the second try (injection) to improve my symptoms. I am shocked reading all of these other experiences because of the similarity to my case. The haldol helped with the nausea and vomiting but oh my goodness the body cramps and restlessness. My entire body was a giant Charlie horse contorting all over the table and I couldn't stop it. Crying in pain. They finally gave me something else which toned it down some but no way would I ever want to go through that again. I'm sorry for those who have experienced it. It's horrendous :("

D_D January 8, 2018

For Psychosis: "I feel great so far. I have been taking the medicine for 2 months. At first, I felt overheated, hungry for carbs and very sleepy, but after about a week, that wore off. I have a lot less anxiety and have not felt irritable. I was dwelling on negative/ paraniod thoughts before taking the medicine. Now, I have those thoughts much less often and it is easier to switch gears and think of something else. I did gain 10 pounds the first 2 weeks, but have since lost that weight by walking and not snacking between meals. I feel like I am less stressed out so I eat better now."

haldoluser (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2017

For Psychosis: "I was given this medication for bi-polar to replace ALL A-TYPICAL ANTI-PSYCHOTICS that cause weight gain. I heard typical anti-psychotics don't cause weight gain. So I told my doctor to give me a typical anti-psychotic and she gave me haloperidol 2mg.....the good news is that my psychosis or my depression or whatever got much much better. The bad news is that I cant stop moving around. If I sit down, I can only stay down for 5 to 10 minutes then I have to get up and when am sitting down I move around a lot. My psychiatrist told me to live with it. It's either weight gain or unstoppable moving. What a witch. But eventually the shaking stopped for some reason and I don't move around anymore. Go figure. I also didn't gain weight so that's good"

eliasadc (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 10, 2017

Haldol (haloperidol) for Psychosis: "I've tried this drug, got side effects, like restless legs. Loss of overall happiness, it doesn't feel like it provide anything"

jm3 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 9, 2017

For Dementia: "A 1.5 mg dose was given to my 88 year old father who has slight dementia and is bed bound from stroke and various other ailments ie advanced prostate cancer. He has a sunny disposition, although he was a bit upset that he had become bed bound. Natural reaction really. The palliative care nurse who saw him and prescribed it encouraged me to give it to him for 'anxiety' in a very general sense. After three weeks he became like a zombie, wouldn't do anything except lie there looking lost, no interest in the TV or politics which he loves. He became extremely frail, shaking hands and completely incontinent. It scared us. It kept us the family up all night with the incontinence. It seems to be administered to keep the oldies quiet. I'm furious."

Riverleegirl September 28, 2017

Haldol (haloperidol) for Psychosis: "I have been taking 50mg decanoate every 28 days, and 10mg/day oral for schizo-effective. This has been the most effective medicine I have ever used! (I have tried all the atypicals with no luck except olanzapine and lurasidone) I have been taking it for over 10 years now. Absolutely no side effects for me, not even weight gain. When I get the shot I usually take a nap in afternoon because it makes me sleepy. If I don't take haldol, I normally get very religious (but twisted type of religious) and tortured with psychosis and generally feel awful with bags under my eyes, acting weird, and not being able to sleep - usually landing me in the hospital. Haldol balances me almost exactly, and I am able to program computers and read and be happy."

eric12345678 September 14, 2017

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I was given a shot of haldol for Gastroparesis related symptoms at the ER. It caused immediate and severe agitation and restlessness. The worst sensation of my life. I wanted to rip my skin off. They gave me Benadryl to try to combat the reaction. It temporarily lessened the symptoms, but took over two days to get out of my system. I will NEVER take this medication again."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 4, 2017

For Psychosis: "When I started this medication for my first psychotic episode two years ago it really helped, delusions went away. I was taking a low dose for maintenance, around 10 drops (2mg/ml), which is about 1mg. I didn't have side effects other than lack of motivation. Then after 2 years the doctor said it was safe to stop the treatment, but some months later I had yet another psychotic episode. This time I am taking 20 drops, and it is making me restless and a bit anxious in the stomach. My motivation is really low, so I find difficult to start things on my own, my initiative is almost non existent, so I only do the basics in my life. Probably I will have to take antidepressants too to help with the motivation/initiative, but I haven't started yet."

Troidos (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 23, 2017

Haldol (haloperidol) for Nausea/Vomiting: "Still felt nauseous after being given this drug after surgery. I woke up extremely sick and vomiting. This was the third drug given to help combat these effects. I didn't know I'd been given it but my heart started racing and concerned the nursing staff, and their concern made me anxious. I was so scared and paranoid about what was happening to me which I later found out was all because of this drug. They ended up flushing it out of my system."

77777777 August 19, 2017

For Psychosis: "Been on this haloperidol for approx. 6 yrs. I have now developed parkinsonism, I cannot control movement in my left arm, leg, tongue, I cannot speak properly due to my tongue being all over the place. Trouble swallowing solid food, problem breathing. I wish I had never taken this in the first place. I am told that the damage to my brain is irreversible. STAY AWAY FROM THIS MEDICATION FOR GODS SAKE"

ALEljay July 24, 2017

For Psychosis: "Was started in this in the hospital for psychotic bipolar disorder. Asked for a refill when I was released. Makes your mind quiet, sedated, calm. No hallucinations no delusions. Glad I had a doctor that uses typical antipsychotics because the atypical never worked for me. Aside from the diarrhea this drug is everything and more."

Amanda Sz June 13, 2017

For Aggressive Behavior: "I was prescribed haldol for aggression (agitation) when I was hospitalized for bipolar disorder. The psychiatrist I had had a very abrasive personality and prescribed it after I hauled off on staff without telling me anything about it, not even the name. I became extremely shaky, could not hold my head up, was very drowsy and just couldn't function. I literally screamed at my doctor to take me off of it when he gave me something to counteract the shakiness. I was fine then. When I was discharged he was going to give me straight haldol, but I argued with him (and won)."

Glad it's over (taken for less than 1 month) June 11, 2017