User Reviews for Haloperidol

Also known as: Haldol, Haldol Decanoate

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Haloperidol.

Psychosis

3.4

Aggressive Behavior

Summary of Haloperidol reviews 3.9 63 reviews

Reviews for Haloperidol

For Psychosis: "I was given this medication for bi-polar to replace ALL A-TYPICAL ANTI-PSYCHOTICS that cause weight gain. I heard typical anti-psychotics don't cause weight gain. So I told my doctor to give me a typical anti-psychotic and she gave me haloperidol 2mg.....the good news is that my psychosis or my depression or whatever got much much better. The bad news is that I cant stop moving around. If I sit down, I can only stay down for 5 to 10 minutes then I have to get up and when am sitting down I move around a lot. My psychiatrist told me to live with it. It's either weight gain or unstoppable moving. What a witch. But eventually the shaking stopped for some reason and I don't move around anymore. Go figure. I also didn't gain weight so that's good"

eliasadc (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Haldol (haloperidol) for Psychosis: "I've tried this drug, got side effects, like restless legs. Loss of overall happiness, it doesn't feel like it provide anything"

jm3 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dementia: "A 1.5 mg dose was given to my 88 year old father who has slight dementia and is bed bound from stroke and various other ailments ie advanced prostate cancer. He has a sunny disposition, although he was a bit upset that he had become bed bound. Natural reaction really. The palliative care nurse who saw him and prescribed it encouraged me to give it to him for 'anxiety' in a very general sense. After three weeks he became like a zombie, wouldn't do anything except lie there looking lost, no interest in the TV or politics which he loves. He became extremely frail, shaking hands and completely incontinent. It scared us. It kept us the family up all night with the incontinence. It seems to be administered to keep the oldies quiet. I'm furious."

Riverleegirl September 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Haldol (haloperidol) for Psychosis: "I have been taking 50mg decanoate every 28 days, and 10mg/day oral for schizo-effective. This has been the most effective medicine I have ever used! (I have tried all the atypicals with no luck except olanzapine and lurasidone) I have been taking it for over 10 years now. Absolutely no side effects for me, not even weight gain. When I get the shot I usually take a nap in afternoon because it makes me sleepy. If I don't take haldol, I normally get very religious (but twisted type of religious) and tortured with psychosis and generally feel awful with bags under my eyes, acting weird, and not being able to sleep - usually landing me in the hospital. Haldol balances me almost exactly, and I am able to program computers and read and be happy."

eric12345678 September 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I was given a shot of haldol for Gastroparesis related symptoms at the ER. It caused immediate and severe agitation and restlessness. The worst sensation of my life. I wanted to rip my skin off. They gave me Benadryl to try to combat the reaction. It temporarily lessened the symptoms, but took over two days to get out of my system. I will NEVER take this medication again."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Psychosis: "When I started this medication for my first psychotic episode two years ago it really helped, delusions went away. I was taking a low dose for maintenance, around 10 drops (2mg/ml), which is about 1mg. I didn't have side effects other than lack of motivation. Then after 2 years the doctor said it was safe to stop the treatment, but some months later I had yet another psychotic episode. This time I am taking 20 drops, and it is making me restless and a bit anxious in the stomach. My motivation is really low, so I find difficult to start things on my own, my initiative is almost non existent, so I only do the basics in my life. Probably I will have to take antidepressants too to help with the motivation/initiative, but I haven't started yet."

Troidos (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Haldol (haloperidol) for Nausea/Vomiting: "Still felt nauseous after being given this drug after surgery. I woke up extremely sick and vomiting. This was the third drug given to help combat these effects. I didn't know I'd been given it but my heart started racing and concerned the nursing staff, and their concern made me anxious. I was so scared and paranoid about what was happening to me which I later found out was all because of this drug. They ended up flushing it out of my system."

77777777 August 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Psychosis: "Been on this haloperidol for approx. 6 yrs. I have now developed parkinsonism, I cannot control movement in my left arm, leg, tongue, I cannot speak properly due to my tongue being all over the place. Trouble swallowing solid food, problem breathing. I wish I had never taken this in the first place. I am told that the damage to my brain is irreversible. STAY AWAY FROM THIS MEDICATION FOR GODS SAKE"

ALEljay July 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Psychosis: "Was started in this in the hospital for psychotic bipolar disorder. Asked for a refill when I was released. Makes your mind quiet, sedated, calm. No hallucinations no delusions. Glad I had a doctor that uses typical antipsychotics because the atypical never worked for me. Aside from the diarrhea this drug is everything and more."

Amanda Sz June 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Aggressive Behavior: "I was prescribed haldol for aggression (agitation) when I was hospitalized for bipolar disorder. The psychiatrist I had had a very abrasive personality and prescribed it after I hauled off on staff without telling me anything about it, not even the name. I became extremely shaky, could not hold my head up, was very drowsy and just couldn't function. I literally screamed at my doctor to take me off of it when he gave me something to counteract the shakiness. I was fine then. When I was discharged he was going to give me straight haldol, but I argued with him (and won)."

Glad it's over (taken for less than 1 month) June 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Haldol (haloperidol) for Nausea/Vomiting: "Was given this in the ER for nausea. It killed the nausea, sure, but I was so anxious! I felt as though if I stayed in that hospital bed another second I was going to go crazy. When I was released I raced home and took Xanex to try and combat the anxiety. It's been about 26 hours since I was injected and I still have the urge to move and run around, like restless leg syndrome. I'd rather just be nauseous!"

Lyssa64 May 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Aggressive Behavior: "The pill form is poison, avoid it if you can, seriously. Stiff muscles, fidgety random body parts, weird dreams and grogginess after sleeping longer than you want. Avoid it."

War Vet (taken for less than 1 month) May 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Psychosis: "I was prescribed handily in the psych ward and after receiving an shot I felt very relaxed. Unfortunately the oral pill form isn't the same. I immediately get stiff and anxious to the point that my neck and shoulders were in complete spams. Dr had to order another shot to counteract that and also give me a muscle relaxer. All in all, I felt like my heart was beating out of my chest and I couldn't relax at all."

Tjtaylor (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Psychosis: "Overnight relief from psychosis, controls intrusive thoughts and slows the brain down so you have control of your mind. Such a good feeling to be in control! I do experience fidgeting with limbs, especially my toes. Involuntary muscle spasms went away after about a month."

LilJackieO March 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Haldol (haloperidol) for Nausea/Vomiting: "Went to the ER after experiencing chest pain following advice from my surgery nurse. While being there I mentioned being slightly nauseous. I am extremely allergic to most anti nausea medications going into anaphylactic shock , so I was given haldol. immediately after injection, my heart began beating faster and my anxiety level flew off the chart. Every muscle in my body wanted to move and spasm, I was practically vibrating in the bed seeing as it was only days after having my abdomen cut into it was pretty intense. It was the closest I have ever felt to being out of my mind. I had to be given another medication to counteract the effect of the haldol in my system."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Psychosis: "I can say that until my PA figures out a dosage, for it to work with my system I will never be healed. I first stated at 1 in the morning. That didn't work so I was taking 1 in the morning and one at bedtime. That was to strong for me. So the next thing I did was to cut them in half. That didn't work because half is not enough. Still had hallucinations. If anyone has any clue as to what I can do, leave a message."

flowerpoem (taken for less than 1 month) February 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Psychosis: "Was put on Haldol after being put on several atypicals: Abilify (no effect), Risperdal (high blood pressure/ heart arrhythmia), Geodon (panic attacks/ nightmares). Glad I was switched. Have noticed some side effects with Haldol (slight tremor/ restlessness) but nothing serious. Will definitely be sticking with this medication. Works better for me than the newer meds."

AshEd December 22, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Tourette's Syndrome: "Been on Haldol since 74, age 17. Side affects were mostly weight gain and dry mouth. Was at one point taking more than prescribed( on my own, no intent of ODing) which made my lethargic, certainly not up to my usual level. The increase didn't increase, nor decrease, my tics. Seems to have 0 effect. I'm still on Haldol currently( Dec'16) and naturally under Drs care. My physicians in my past, although newer meds are available, keep my on Haldol and montitored, if it's not broke, don't fix it. Honestly, since TS tics wax and wane, I'm not fully aware that the drug at current dosage is helping. I don't try to go without ever, because if tics get worse( my understanding is out of system in a matter of days), I'm just not willing to endure tics"

Hehimself (taken for 10 years or more) December 15, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Haldol (haloperidol) for Mania: "I was given one injection of this with Benadryl by a nurse whom by the doctor in charge was not granted permission to administer the medications. I was sleeping in the ER after four days was woken up by the nurse and told I was a nuisance to him and he and three other male orderlies in the ER told me they were sick of seeing me there. I told him I might have a seizure if it's a drug that wasn't my current medicine and he said he didn't care. Ten minutes or less I had a seizure and the hospital then released me, I found out they were ill equipped to deal with seizures in the specific ER. What a total waste of time! Haldol was horrible for me. Would never recommend!"

Creepyteddybear (taken for less than 1 month) December 10, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Psychosis: "I had a very spiritual experience where I was having convos with spirits unseen. This was disturbing to my family members and because they did not understand what was happening I got upset at them. They called the doc etc. and I was taken to the hospital for observation. After few weeks being there they forced haldol on me. My conscienceness got lower and I eventually came down from those levels. I got 5 mg oral. They slowly got me off the meds and I was sent home. When I stopped with the meds I got a deep psychose. But was protected by my ancestors. Side effects: lowers IQ, drooling, no happy moments for you. Bad medicine. Used on horses. Made in Belgium by docs who don't know how it feels to have a psychose."

beauty7 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 13, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Haldol Decanoate (haloperidol) for Psychosis: "Although this medication completely alleviated all of the symptoms of psychosis, my mom experienced severe joint stiffness, cramping, muscle pain and weakness. During the 6 months she was on this, she changed from healthy and athletic to a near vegitative state. Currently she is unable to get out of bed or use the restroom on her own."

Mom's experience (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 23, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Psychosis: "This drug gave me clear thinking but gave a lot of demotivation too. I felt like a zombie on this medication. Had to stop this due to anxiety and suicidal thoughts."

Anonymous_1980 September 18, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Psychosis: "Causes dystonia but is extremely effective. Nothing that can't be fixed by benztropine."

okazakifrag (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 29, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Psychosis: "I was prescribed haldol for psychosis. After only a few weeks my condition was improving and after a month my auditory and visual hallucinations were gone. I have not experienced any side effects while on haldol."

haloperidol (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 22, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Haldol (haloperidol) for Nausea/Vomiting: "I went to the er for stomach cramping and tenderness after a bought of stomach flu. For some reason they used this instead of Zofran or Phenergan first. I had horrible side effects. Every muscle in my body spasmed to the point of nearly dislocating my jaw. It took a full 36 hours to leave my system. Benadryl helped, but did not reverse the effects. I was disoriented and screaming in pain only a few seconds after receiving it. Use caution. The side effects were not worth it."

Snowf14 August 14, 2016