User Reviews for Haloperidol

Also known as: Haldol, Haldol Decanoate

Haloperidol has an average rating of 4.5 out of 10 from a total of 122 ratings on Drugs.com. 30% of those users who reviewed Haloperidol reported a positive effect, while 53% reported a negative effect.

Psychosis   6.3
Aggressive Behavior   1.0
Summary of Haloperidol reviews 4.5 122 reviews

Reviews for Haloperidol

Francesca · Taken for less than 1 month February 4, 2021

Haldol (haloperidol) for Nausea/Vomiting: “I was given IV Haldol in the ER yesterday along with zofran, decadron and Benadryl for a migraine w/ nausea. I react terribly to compazine and Reglan (I feel like I can’t stand being in my own skin, want to climb the walls, etc. Indescribable really but AWFUL)! I specifically asked if there was any chance Haldol would cause a similar reaction and was ensured it would not. It did. I’m still agitated, unable to sleep and anxious this morning. I cannot wait until it wears off. Def not worth it.”

Jaybles · Taken for less than 1 month January 30, 2021

For Nausea/Vomiting: “Horrible ER experience, was given haloperidol for bad migraine/vomiting. Drug made me feel like climbing the walls and like I was coming out of my skin. Same feeling I get from compazine. I have compazine listed as a allergy so why they thought they could give me Haldol is beyond me. Relieved migraine but the agitation experienced and hopeless feeling was definitely not worth it”

Hopeless · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 27, 2021

“I hate the people who created antipsychotics. They ruined my life. I hope whoever is responsible for creating these drugs goes to hell.”

Roc January 6, 2021

Haldol (haloperidol) for Nausea/Vomiting: “Was in for laparoscopy procedure and was very nauseous after the surgery. Initial treatment with Zofran wasn’t helpful, so they then injected Haldol to relieve the emesis and nausea. It made feel drowsy and restless at the same time. I can’t tell if I’m thankful it helped as an antiemetic or if I absolutely hate it because of the restless legs, anxious, crawling out of my skin feelings. It made resting and sleep very difficult after a reallllllly long day at the hospital. My advice, see if doctor has exhausted all other medications/solutions first! The side effects may make you regret taking it.”

Christine · Taken for less than 1 month December 29, 2020

For Nausea/Vomiting: “I went to the ER due to kidney stones and vomiting. The ER doctor gave me haldol. This drug is awful. I thought the room was closing in on me and my jaw started spasming. I had my first ever panic attack at age 44. No freaking way would I have agreed to take this drug had they told me what it's normally used for. It took me days to feel better. They had to give me two injections of another drug to make the haldol side affects to stop.”

Cora Wilson · Taken for less than 1 month December 18, 2020

For Aggressive Behavior: “I’m 22 and in July I went to the hospital for extreme destructive and aggressive behavior due to my bipolar and schizophrenia. I stayed in the mental health unit for 8 days and before I left they injected me with haldol which I started feeling very calm which is perfectly fine for me because Ativan makes me calm and I thought haldol was the same. But I had the WORST month of my life! I was insanely sleepy I slept up to 9 times a day, was very anxious, very restless, I had extreme slurred speech where people couldn’t make out what I was saying, I was slobbering and drooling then one night I had a panic attack so bad that I was hyperventilating, sweating, screaming, vomiting, hitting my head, so I went to the hospital again and they gave me a shot of Benadryl and Ativan and the side effects of haldol slowly went away and when I got discharged in the morning I felt like me again. I'm on Zyprexa, Zoloft and Depakote now”

Ttensas48 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 18, 2020

For Tourette's Syndrome: “Miserable! Extreme depression as side effect and claustrophobia! Didn't help tics at all.”

Lola · Taken for less than 1 month December 15, 2020

For Nausea/Vomiting: “My 19 y.o. son was admitted to the ER, he had been throwing up all day and there was some blood in his vomit. Because of COVID-19 I was unable to go in with him which was horrible because of this kind of situation. They gave him a few meds along with Haldol by IV. He came out after 9 hours doing better but the next day he kept calling me at work saying he was so restless and couldn't stand being in his body, really struggling. I talked him through some meditation and he took walks but today (2 days after) he is still somewhat restless and agitated, not his personality at all. It made me look at what they gave him, Haldol, I was shocked when I read the discharge papers as I'd only known this to be given for severe dementia in elderly people who become basically zombies from it. After reading other's experiences it confirms why he's been so off. If I'd been in there with him there is no way I'd have said okay to Haldol being administered. Never again. Poor kid.”

Roberto · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 30, 2020

For Aggressive Behavior: “haloperidol is the most horrible drug I have been given. Loss of personality, anhedonia, music doesn't bring me joy anymore, boredom, mask face, slow mental processes, loss of emotion, lose of care, chemical straight jacked, feeling like I'm not living. Don't be brainwashed by the good reviews of this med. Stay away from haloperidol”

PastelPink November 5, 2020

For Psychosis: “There's a lot of bad reviews on this medication haloperidol however, I have found it so useful. At first I was on risperidone and I HATED it. I gained so much weight and was so drowsy however, haloperidol was prescribed for voices and it worked instantly it calms my voices and makes me feel so relaxed and I've not had any increase in my appetite or weight. This drug has helped saved my life. I take 2mg up to 4 times a day as PRN but it has helped a lot and I don't experience any other side effects”

Lauren Campbell · Taken for less than 1 month October 22, 2020

For Psychosis: “Okay I’m 24 years old and I’m usually on Zoloft, depakote and Ativan (as needed) but in July I had a psychotic episode where I had to get sent to the hospital for about a week. Before I left they injected me with this and I immediately felt unusually calm and relaxed but the next day I started slobbering, drooling all over my shirt, stuttering which I never do, not talking clearly, SLEEPING ALL DAY, I felt restless, anxious, hopeless and depressed and these side effects lasted for about 23 days. It felt like heaven when it wore off and I felt like my normal self again. My mom wants me to get put on haldol again but I refused and told the doctor I’d rather be put on something else and they agreed. Never again will I use this medication sure being sleepy and slobbering is “better” than having a psychotic episode but this medication sucks. 1/10”

itsmeeeeboy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 8, 2020

For Psychosis: “I have used haloperidol for almost a year now, since then I've lost interest of many things, even life itself. It didn't really connect the dots with this medication. Reading some other reviews some other people experience the same thing. Even though I got a care authorization and I am obligated to take these medicine, I'm gonna quit it and see how it goes. But it did really help with my psychosis so I hope I don't get a relapse”

Michael · Taken for less than 1 month August 29, 2020

Haldol (haloperidol) for Nausea/Vomiting: “Sometime after my same day surgery to treat a cancer tumor, I was given some unspecified amount of Haldol through my IV line. I was shocked when I heard I was given Haldol since it is known as an anti-psychotic drug with very severe side effects I had no idea it was ever used for the prevention of nausea and vomiting over all standard such as Zofran. Since I had same procedure several weeks earlier I was amazed Define the effects of what I thought was just the anesthesia wear so much more severe. I had disorientation, restlessness, anxiety, memory problems, tiredness, sleepiness, constipation, and even some depression. I can only attribute the difference in my reaction to the use of Haldol. It's been about 48 hours since I was discharged from the hospital, and I still don't feel right. My advice to any patient who may be given this drug to treat/prevent nausea and vomiting is to request something else that's much safer. I would certainly never take this again.”

Camilla July 19, 2020

For Aggressive Behavior: “I was given this haloperidol with an injection of Ativan a few days ago for aggressive behavior due to my bipolar. I was so freaking angry and annoyed and was also crying my eyes out and throwing things so at the crappy hospital I was at they had several “nurses” screaming at me even though I was hysterical. They strapped me to the bed and this dude said he’s going to inject me with HALDOL and Ativan. And I freaked out and told him that I demanded only Ativan and he said “all patients who are hysterical have to take haldol it doesn't matter if your are allergic or not" so I got injected with both haldol and Ativan. In 5 minutes I started feeling unusually sleepy and my legs were insanely restless at the same time. I slept for 15 hours that night and the feeling in my legs were so extreme that I wanted to scream and launch out of my own body but I massaged my legs with lotion to get rid of the feeling. The feeling wore off 17 hours later.”

Anonymous June 29, 2020

For Nausea/Vomiting: “Was given haloperidol for stomach pain and nausea. Made everything worse they should have never given it. Only slept 1 hour that night in the hospital and was miserable”

Baty · Taken for less than 1 month June 10, 2020

For Psychosis: “My son had a mental health crisis and was taken to the mental hospital. He was talking about aliens and the devil, he removed his clothes because he was saying that was no more people on the whole word, only us my husband and my daughter. When he was in the hospital they put him on haloperidol and he tried suicide. He was there for 14 days he returned home and was only for 2 days and he try to suicide again, after a week he is home again but he can't sleep and looks like a zombie. I will talk to his doctor tomorrow and ask him to suspend this medication reading all the bad reviews and seeing my son like this I believe is the bad side effects of this medicine.”

Sab May 20, 2020

For Psychosis: “I was on this medication haloperidol for psychosis for 3.5 years. It prevented me from having another episode, and I was still using street drugs. I still had paranoid delusions about my partner but at least I didn’t have a psychosis. Side effects only higher cholesterol and increased prolactin levels. All and all the medication wasn’t too bad.”

Nope! · Taken for less than 1 month April 24, 2020

For Borderline Personality Disorder: “I took haloperidol 0.5mg once. It was remarkable how calm I felt. Just off the results from that one pill I was ready to sign up. Then that night I started having painful whole-muscle body spasms. I couldn’t even put my tongue in my own mouth. Thank god that at the hospital they gave me some kind of shot that made it stop. I was afraid I was going to be stuck like that for life. The most frightening thing that ever happened to me.”

Jimmy · Taken for less than 1 month April 23, 2020

Haldol (haloperidol) for Nausea/Vomiting: “I got rushed to the ER for nonstop vomiting. I was vomiting for over 10 hours until I finally decided to go to the hospital. They gave me 2 injections of Zofran but unfortunately, I was still vomiting. Then they gave me a dose of Haldol which finally stopped my vomiting. My horrible stomach cramps were gone as well. I was able to get the best possible sleep. When I woke up, I felt like a million bucks. Haldol definitely saved me!”

lucy April 22, 2020

For Psychosis: “I took this drug haloperidol in 2019 while I was being hospitalized for my first psychotic episode. It calmed the psychosis, but I still felt confused/disoriented and believed things that weren’t true. Plus, I felt like an actual zombie on it. I physically couldn’t keep my eyes open, and I was functioning halfway between asleep and awake all day. I couldn’t read or watch tv because my eyes couldn’t see clearly. It was a mess. I’m on paliperidone now and while it has its own side effects, it’s a million times better than Haldol.”

Bob · Taken for less than 1 month April 11, 2020

Haldol (haloperidol) for ICU Agitation: “My 17 year old son with severe autism was given Haldol during a pediatric ER visit. He is non-verbal and usually has severe anxiety in any healthcare setting. We took him to the ER because he appeared dehydrated after 24-36 hours of nausea, vomiting and behavioral symptoms that had become more severe. We informed the ER physician that he typically reacts the exact opposite to sedatives than should be expected and recommended one drug that has been effective in the past. A sedative was necessary in order to obtain a CT scan. The physician wanted to use Haldol because it has been effective with kids with autism and could also help my sons nausea. My son had no problem with the nurse setting up the IV which was not his norm. It did not take long after injecting this drug for him to go from calm, quiet and lethargic to needing 6-7 adults to subdue him and strap his wrists and ankles to his bed. What a joke!”

Sunflower2020 · Taken for 10 years or more January 24, 2020

For Psychosis: “I've been on this drug haloperidol for over 10 years. I haven't really had problems with the drug apart from sleeping a lot. Also I feel progressively less well now generally in my health than I was before this could be a side effect. I have a fear of people and this is family members and people outside. I have become withdrawn and socially awkward. I remain very quiet talking only to select people. This is also a side affect of the drug. My advice is that if the drug suits you stay on it. Reading the other reviews I think the drug is not suiting the other users. It has suited me for over 10 years now.”

Roxrdt · Taken for less than 1 month January 15, 2020

Haldol (haloperidol) for Nausea/Vomiting: “They gave me this medicine for stomach pain and all it did was make me loose control physically and mentally. I could not stop moving my arm and legs and I thought I was going to be put in a rubber room scared the life out of me never again”

Grace · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 28, 2019

For Psychosis: “Haloperidol is very dangerous. I was given haloperidol 3 times over a period of 10 years. I had hallucinations of snakes and severe delusions which led me to harm myself without any idea of the consequences of what I was doing. I've been well for 18 years now and want this medication banned.”

Shell · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 24, 2019

For Psychosis: “I was put on Haldol in a mental hospital and I couldn't sit still. The longer I was on it symptoms just got worse and worse until I felt like I wanted to climb out of my own body. I really don't like this drug at all.”