User Reviews for Haloperidol

Also known as: Haldol, Haldol Decanoate

Haloperidol has an average rating of 4.2 out of 10 from a total of 160 ratings on Drugs.com. 28% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 57% reported a negative experience.

Psychosis
Dementia
Summary of Haloperidol reviews 4.2 160 reviews

Reviews for Haloperidol

Roberto · Taken for 1 to 6 months · November 30, 2020

For Aggressive Behavior: “haloperidol is the most horrible drug I have been given. Loss of personality, anhedonia, music doesn't bring me joy anymore, boredom, mask face, slow mental processes, loss of emotion, lose of care, chemical straight jacked, feeling like I'm not living. Don't be brainwashed by the good reviews of this med. Stay away from haloperidol”

mikeyst22 · April 22, 2021

Haldol (haloperidol) for Psychosis: “Worst drug by far. I ended in the Hospital, in 2016 with a dystonic reaction maybe its good for other people but not for me. Yes I have got Bipolar Disorder, just my opinion this drug should be off the market and fast”

Socialfilter · Taken for less than 1 month · March 2, 2019

Haldol (haloperidol) for Mania: “If you enjoy facial tics, muscle tremors, uncontrollable pacing, rocking back and forth, stuttering, insomnia, extreme restlessness, blackouts, memory lapses, sleeping 14-16 hours a day, and a complete loss of personality, identity, and all emotions then by all means try this med. Since the injection lasts a month you can look forward to 30 days of these symptoms. I often fantasize about injecting the doc, who gave me this horrible stuff, with a dose and then releasing him out in the world like he did to me.”

Hailz · Taken for less than 1 month · July 23, 2021

For Borderline Personality Disorder: “Please BEWARE of this drug. After two doses of haloperidol I woke up at 1am in complete restlessness. I couldn't lay down I could sit down I couldn't stand up I kept having to switch positions because this disturbing feeling of restlessness. I couldn't tell if I was hot or cold or if I was falling asleep or awake, I rang an after hours line and was told to go to the hospital ASAP. When I got to the hospital it progressed into a disabled epileptic sezuire episode. My mouth/jaw was lopsided my jaw was going one way like bell's palsy syndrome, I couldn't talk , only to make noises and when I did try talk I sounded completely disabled. The sezuires were scary and I thought I was going to die. The hospital called it an adverse reaction to haloperidol. Please BEWARE what it can do to people I thought I was going to be stuck frozen in that disabled state and I wouldn't go back to normal. This drug terrified me and could have taken my life. I was prescribed this for depression.”

Anonymous · June 24, 2013

Haldol (haloperidol) for Psychosis: “For years, my Dad had really bad anger issues. He continually kept my Mom in turmoil with his fits of rage to the point that one day she had a Stroke. It was horrendous. When both of them went to a Nursing Home, my Dad was evaluated and diagnosed as being psychotic. The Doctor prescribed Haldol for him and within 3 days, he was a brand new person. He was calm, he laughed, and he was such a joy to visit with. He remained this way until he passed away 5 years later. If he had been given this medicine years before, I feel my Mom would have lived another 20 years.”

Baty · Taken for less than 1 month · June 10, 2020

For Psychosis: “My son had a mental health crisis and was taken to the mental hospital. He was talking about aliens and the devil, he removed his clothes because he was saying that was no more people on the whole word, only us my husband and my daughter. When he was in the hospital they put him on haloperidol and he tried suicide. He was there for 14 days he returned home and was only for 2 days and he try to suicide again, after a week he is home again but he can't sleep and looks like a zombie. I will talk to his doctor tomorrow and ask him to suspend this medication reading all the bad reviews and seeing my son like this I believe is the bad side effects of this medicine.”

Grace · Taken for 1 to 2 years · December 28, 2019

For Psychosis: “Haloperidol is very dangerous. I was given haloperidol 3 times over a period of 10 years. I had hallucinations of snakes and severe delusions which led me to harm myself without any idea of the consequences of what I was doing. I've been well for 18 years now and want this medication banned.”

Anonj26 · Taken for 1 to 6 months · April 11, 2016

Haldol (haloperidol) for Psychosis: “This medication worked like a charm. There were no negative side effects and I lost about 15 pounds on it. It controlled all my symptoms perfectly, and really helped me with my anxiety, mild psychosis and depression. I have a PHD and really appreciate how much this drug has helped me during my schooling. I did not relapse after I went off this drug. It has been 4 years since I went off this medication and I am symptom free.”

Kazamyst · July 5, 2011

Haldol (haloperidol) for Psychosis: “This is going to be kind of long and full of detail. I've been using Haldol for about 3 years now. It basically started when hearing voices got really bad. The combination of Geodon and Abilify DID NOT work. I admitted myself inpatient and got my Haldol. I started on 10mg. It took all the nasty symptoms away. And still does to this day. This is a one amazing medicine. I'm at the point with it now, that I can barely take 2.5 mg, (5mg cut in half) without feeling drugged up though. My body became very sensitive from it. You may gain some weight on this medicine. It does give you the munchies. However, I did weight watchers on this medicine and was able to take off some weight. Again, this medicine is down right amazing.”

Roxrdt · Taken for less than 1 month · January 15, 2020

Haldol (haloperidol) for Nausea/Vomiting: “They gave me this medicine for stomach pain and all it did was make me loose control physically and mentally. I could not stop moving my arm and legs and I thought I was going to be put in a rubber room scared the life out of me never again”

Shell · Taken for 1 to 6 months · December 24, 2019

For Psychosis: “I was put on Haldol in a mental hospital and I couldn't sit still. The longer I was on it symptoms just got worse and worse until I felt like I wanted to climb out of my own body. I really don't like this drug at all.”

Anonymous · December 15, 2011

Haldol (haloperidol) for Psychosis: “My dad started to see things and think things were happening that were not, He was put on Haldol and it works, they were going to slowly take him off it and when we took his noontime pill away he got bad again almost right away. This medicine really has worked for him and allowed him to stay home with us.”

eric12345678 · September 14, 2017

Haldol (haloperidol) for Psychosis: “I have been taking 50mg decanoate every 28 days, and 10mg/day oral for schizo-effective. This has been the most effective medicine I have ever used! (I have tried all the atypicals with no luck except olanzapine and lurasidone) I have been taking it for over 10 years now. Absolutely no side effects for me, not even weight gain. When I get the shot I usually take a nap in afternoon because it makes me sleepy. If I don't take haldol, I normally get very religious (but twisted type of religious) and tortured with psychosis and generally feel awful with bags under my eyes, acting weird, and not being able to sleep - usually landing me in the hospital. Haldol balances me almost exactly, and I am able to program computers and read and be happy.”

Peter · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · November 16, 2019

Haldol (haloperidol) for Psychosis: “My side effects of Haldol = Restlessness and Anxiety. The need to move coupled with the desire not to. Muscle tension and tremors, combined with the ability to walk correctly. Heavy drooling at the mouth, nausea, and terrible constipation amounting to the inability to take a dump, and the inability the urinate without sitting down. In addition, the inability to ejaculate.”

Raylee · February 9, 2010

Haldol (haloperidol) for Dementia: “Haloperidol is not for use in psychotic conditions related to dementia. Haloperidol may cause heart failure, sudden death, or pneumonia in older adults with dementia-related conditions. (taken from this website)”

Francesca · Taken for less than 1 month · February 4, 2021

Haldol (haloperidol) for Nausea/Vomiting: “I was given IV Haldol in the ER yesterday along with zofran, decadron and Benadryl for a migraine w/ nausea. I react terribly to compazine and Reglan (I feel like I can’t stand being in my own skin, want to climb the walls, etc. Indescribable really but AWFUL)! I specifically asked if there was any chance Haldol would cause a similar reaction and was ensured it would not. It did. I’m still agitated, unable to sleep and anxious this morning. I cannot wait until it wears off. Def not worth it.”

Bipolar 1 gal · Taken for less than 1 month · November 3, 2019

For Mania: “This haloperidol is the worst drug I have ever been given in my life. After the injection I was immediately not able to speak. My feet started tapping and kicking uncontrollably. 12 hours later I had extreme tightening of the jaw, the tightening went down my neck. I couldn’t swallow my spit and me trying to say my name and birthdate sounded like when a deaf person was trying to speak. Very rapidly my neck and spinal muscles contracted backwards, eyes were stuck rolled behind my head, completely locked up and painful, apparently this is a side effect called dystonia. I couldn’t get a word out. Thankfully a doctor gave me the antidote to cure this reaction (Benadryl!!!) and within a minute my body started to go back to normal, and I started sobbing happy tears. Scariest medication of my life. Please be careful with this one.”

Anonymous · March 3, 2010

Haldol (haloperidol) for Nausea/Vomiting: “Haldol was given to my mother for nausea/vomiting in her final days/weeks of battling colon cancer. Haldol worked great for nausea but the side effects were horrible. She was not drowsy, she was out! Not coherent, confused, wasn't able to eat and at times was agitated. Be very careful using this medication. It took two days after stopping the medication for it to leave her system and return to a normal state of mind.”

Dean · Taken for 1 to 6 months · December 15, 2021

For Psychosis: “This drug haloperidol is causing me to be extremely agitated I can't stop moving around the restlessness is intense. I don't sleep since I've started haloperidol, it's making me smoke so many cigarettes. I want to sleep all the time but can't because I am unable to stop moving my arms and legs. Since I've started haloperidol I've an uncontrollable urge to smoke, I waste all my money now on cigarettes and can't escape it's hard to describe how agitated I am when I take this drug.”

Keyvaan · Taken for less than 1 month · December 3, 2019

For Psychosis: “I'm taking this med haloperidol for just 1 week and a dose of just 0.5 mg daily but I decided to stop immediately. Why? Because I can't sleep at nights, I'm restless and anxious. This side effects are really annoying and they disturb my daily life balance. I don't know why would a doctor want to put this in someone's body. Don't take this drug if you can use other drugs and options. That's my opinion.”

Jimmy · Taken for less than 1 month · April 23, 2020

Haldol (haloperidol) for Nausea/Vomiting: “I got rushed to the ER for nonstop vomiting. I was vomiting for over 10 hours until I finally decided to go to the hospital. They gave me 2 injections of Zofran but unfortunately, I was still vomiting. Then they gave me a dose of Haldol which finally stopped my vomiting. My horrible stomach cramps were gone as well. I was able to get the best possible sleep. When I woke up, I felt like a million bucks. Haldol definitely saved me!”

Anonymous · August 23, 2010

Haldol (haloperidol) for ICU Agitation: “My father (now deceased) had a tendency to become agitated when confined to ICU for more than a couple of days. He was prescribed Haldol during one such stay. The medicine had a very negative effect; my father became aggressive. One morning I walked in to find that the staff had strapped his hands to the bed overnight! I complained (loudly) to another doctor and my father was taken off Haldol and moved to a private room. Almost immediately he became the sweet, even-tempered man that I always knew. I tried to keep my dad out of ICU after that. ”

Bear · Taken for less than 1 month · June 27, 2019

Haldol (haloperidol) for Nausea/Vomiting: “Take this medicine if you want the worst experience of your life! This caused extreme restlessness & anxiety. I felt like I couldn't move, and it was hard to talk. IV causes a more serve adverse reaction than IM or oral form. If you get these med, make sure you are ALSO given benadryl, cogentin, or a benzo to prevent these side effects! I was given benadryl & ativan, but they had to give me an extra dose of each because it wasn't helping enough.”

Michael · Taken for less than 1 month · August 29, 2020

Haldol (haloperidol) for Nausea/Vomiting: “Sometime after my same day surgery to treat a cancer tumor, I was given some unspecified amount of Haldol through my IV line. I was shocked when I heard I was given Haldol since it is known as an anti-psychotic drug with very severe side effects I had no idea it was ever used for the prevention of nausea and vomiting over all standard such as Zofran. Since I had same procedure several weeks earlier I was amazed Define the effects of what I thought was just the anesthesia wear so much more severe. I had disorientation, restlessness, anxiety, memory problems, tiredness, sleepiness, constipation, and even some depression. I can only attribute the difference in my reaction to the use of Haldol. It's been about 48 hours since I was discharged from the hospital, and I still don't feel right. My advice to any patient who may be given this drug to treat/prevent nausea and vomiting is to request something else that's much safer. I would certainly never take this again.”

LCD7888 · Taken for 5 to 10 years · September 16, 2015

Haldol (haloperidol) for Psychosis: “I've been on Haldol for 5 years. I have schizophrenia. This is the only drug that has worked over the period of having this illness. I don't feel I will ever be symptom free there's no magic pill, but since being on this I've been able to manage things much better than before. Really great. I don't like the possibility of the involuntary muscle disease (can't remember what it's called) but I will take that risk to have this benefit.”