User Reviews for Haloperidol

Also known as: Haldol, Haldol Decanoate

Learn more about Haloperidol.

Psychosis 28 reviews 18 medications

ICU Agitation 3 reviews 13 medications

3.5
Summary of Haloperidol reviews 50 reviews 4.6

Reviews for Haloperidol

For Psychosis: "Overnight relief from psychosis, controls intrusive thoughts and slows the brain down so you have control of your mind. Such a good feeling to be in control! I do experience fidgeting with limbs, especially my toes. Involuntary muscle spasms went away after about a month."

LilJackieO March 20, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Haldol (haloperidol) for Nausea/Vomiting: "Went to the ER after experiencing chest pain following advice from my surgery nurse. While being there I mentioned being slightly nauseous. I am extremely allergic to most anti nausea medications going into anaphylactic shock , so I was given haldol. immediately after injection, my heart began beating faster and my anxiety level flew off the chart. Every muscle in my body wanted to move and spasm, I was practically vibrating in the bed seeing as it was only days after having my abdomen cut into it was pretty intense. It was the closest I have ever felt to being out of my mind. I had to be given another medication to counteract the effect of the haldol in my system."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Psychosis: "I can say that until my PA figures out a dosage, for it to work with my system I will never be healed. I first stated at 1 in the morning. That didn't work so I was taking 1 in the morning and one at bedtime. That was to strong for me. So the next thing I did was to cut them in half. That didn't work because half is not enough. Still had hallucinations. If anyone has any clue as to what I can do, leave a message."

flowerpoem (taken for less than 1 month) February 4, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Psychosis: "Was put on Haldol after being put on several atypicals: Abilify (no effect), Risperdal (high blood pressure/ heart arrhythmia), Geodon (panic attacks/ nightmares). Glad I was switched. Have noticed some side effects with Haldol (slight tremor/ restlessness) but nothing serious. Will definitely be sticking with this medication. Works better for me than the newer meds."

AshEd December 22, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Tourette's Syndrome: "Been on Haldol since 74, age 17. Side affects were mostly weight gain and dry mouth. Was at one point taking more than prescribed( on my own, no intent of ODing) which made my lethargic, certainly not up to my usual level. The increase didn't increase, nor decrease, my tics. Seems to have 0 effect. I'm still on Haldol currently( Dec'16) and naturally under Drs care. My physicians in my past, although newer meds are available, keep my on Haldol and montitored, if it's not broke, don't fix it. Honestly, since TS tics wax and wane, I'm not fully aware that the drug at current dosage is helping. I don't try to go without ever, because if tics get worse( my understanding is out of system in a matter of days), I'm just not willing to endure tics"

Hehimself (taken for 10 years or more) December 15, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Haldol (haloperidol) for Mania: "I was given one injection of this with Benadryl by a nurse whom by the doctor in charge was not granted permission to administer the medications. I was sleeping in the ER after four days was woken up by the nurse and told I was a nuisance to him and he and three other male orderlies in the ER told me they were sick of seeing me there. I told him I might have a seizure if it's a drug that wasn't my current medicine and he said he didn't care. Ten minutes or less I had a seizure and the hospital then released me, I found out they were ill equipped to deal with seizures in the specific ER. What a total waste of time! Haldol was horrible for me. Would never recommend!"

Creepyteddybear (taken for less than 1 month) December 10, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Psychosis: "I had a very spiritual experience where I was having convos with spirits unseen. This was disturbing to my family members and because they did not understand what was happening I got upset at them. They called the doc etc. and I was taken to the hospital for observation. After few weeks being there they forced haldol on me. My conscienceness got lower and I eventually came down from those levels. I got 5 mg oral. They slowly got me off the meds and I was sent home. When I stopped with the meds I got a deep psychose. But was protected by my ancestors. Side effects: lowers IQ, drooling, no happy moments for you. Bad medicine. Used on horses. Made in Belgium by docs who don't know how it feels to have a psychose."

beauty7 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 13, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Haldol Decanoate (haloperidol) for Psychosis: "Although this medication completely alleviated all of the symptoms of psychosis, my mom experienced severe joint stiffness, cramping, muscle pain and weakness. During the 6 months she was on this, she changed from healthy and athletic to a near vegitative state. Currently she is unable to get out of bed or use the restroom on her own."

Mom's experience (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 23, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Psychosis: "This drug gave me clear thinking but gave a lot of demotivation too. I felt like a zombie on this medication. Had to stop this due to anxiety and suicidal thoughts."

Anonymous_1980 September 18, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Psychosis: "Causes dystonia but is extremely effective. Nothing that can't be fixed by benztropine."

okazakifrag (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 29, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Psychosis: "I was prescribed haldol for psychosis. After only a few weeks my condition was improving and after a month my auditory and visual hallucinations were gone. I have not experienced any side effects while on haldol."

haloperidol (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 22, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Haldol (haloperidol) for Nausea/Vomiting: "I went to the er for stomach cramping and tenderness after a bought of stomach flu. For some reason they used this instead of Zofran or Phenergan first. I had horrible side effects. Every muscle in my body spasmed to the point of nearly dislocating my jaw. It took a full 36 hours to leave my system. Benadryl helped, but did not reverse the effects. I was disoriented and screaming in pain only a few seconds after receiving it. Use caution. The side effects were not worth it."

Snowf14 August 14, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Tourette's Syndrome: "Our daughter was on this when she was in elementary school, it was pretty bad. It made her so terribly tired she couldn't keep up in school. Terrible way for a child to live. Over the summer we were going on a vacation and she begged us to take her off it so she wouldn't be so tired so we had to gradually wean her off and then back on again when school started. Thank goodness the tic eventually went away after about a year or a year and a half or so..."

CiCi2016 August 11, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Nausea/Vomiting: "An ENT Doctor put my 79 year old mother on 1 mg of Haloperidol twice a day for 90 days. We di d not know she was taking it. She stopped going out to do normal errands, she was in bed a lot, she was losing weight, she had become a zombie, she has no appetite. She was put on it because she was burping a lot and had tried 3 other medications. She has had all kinds of tests to figure out why she was burping all the time but doctors have not been able to figure it out. This ENT Doctor is out of town but his associate told us this was probably too high of a dosage for an elderly and recommended he get us a new prescription for .25 mg twice a day, meaning she was taking 4 times the amount. We took her off it, I just hope I get my real mom back."

very upset daughter (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Dementia: "This medicine gave me the most horrifying, terrifying, side effects ever! I took it last summer and man the feeling is haunting! I was on a beach vacation and I took the medicine b4 heading back out to the pool, not knowing about the scary side effects. In 30 min, I became unusually sleepy and went back to the room and Man I couldn't sleep! My legs were SO restless it wasn't funny! I felt like I had to explode outta my damn body! My mum massaged me till I fell asleep. Terrible medicine "

Aria9682 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 6, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Psychosis: "I am doing good while on haldol, still a bit of anxiety, but I can cope it is way more controlled now. Not sure I will ever be not sick, I am taking 20 drops in the morning and 10 in the mid day, 5mg pill before night...My sleep is very good, no dreams....That is a huge step with controlling my PTSD....I feel good during the day and can function, only downside, Im a bit of a hermit do not really want to leave my house....In all I think a good drug for those who need it..."

haldol July 5, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For ICU Agitation: "My wife was given this medicine for pain in the hospital. The following day she had many side affects. Her face was disfigured and constant twitching of facial muscles and toungue. Luckily 48 hours later she was back to normal. I dont recommend this medication unless all safer meds have been considered. It scared us when these things started happening, we thought maybe she was having a stroke. We landed back at the doctors office to learn that it was caused by the meds."

Best husband May 11, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Haldol (haloperidol) for Psychosis: "This medication worked like a charm. There were no negative side effects and I lost about 15 pounds on it. It controlled all my symptoms perfectly, and really helped me with my anxiety, mild psychosis and depression. I have a PHD and really appreciate how much this drug has helped me during my schooling. I did not relapse after I went off this drug. It has been 4 years since I went off this medication and I am symptom free."

Anonj26 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Haldol (haloperidol) for Psychosis: "Very very effective. Would recommend. Helpful medicine for psychosis and mania. Helps with delusions and paranoia and voices and all that comes with a psychotic episode. Only down side is a feeling of anxiety and having to move around and can't sit still for too long when on this med but it is a very effective medication."

Bipolar type Schizzoaffective (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 21, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Psychosis: "I was prescribed haldol when I went in patient for borderline personality disorder. Though haldol does help with my anger and agitation as well as suspiciousness and paranoia, it makes me so restless that I'm crying and would rather die than suffer like that. It makes me pace around constantly and I can't sleep because I HAVE to walk around and move my legs. I was also prescribed trileptal while I was there, which in conjunction with the haldol, makes me get such blurred vision that I'm walking into things and can't function. I stopped taking trileptal due to the side effects of taking it with the haldol and was put on lamictal which had no side effects. My outpatient psychiatrist has since taken me off the haldol due to the restlessness."

ashcole (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Psychosis: "Was on this med for about 30 years. This medication is supposed to only be a temporary fix for anger,paranoia etc.. I took it long term and have permanent damage to my brain and nervous system! It is and old drug first used 1958!! There are so many other options out there now. Don't get started on this drug. You will become dependent on it and will not be able to stop taking it. When I take it I get really paranoid and have anxiety attacks. I can't sit still and pace all day. The worse thing about it is my mom remembers me taking it when I was 16 and it used to work good for me. Now I am 51 and don't need it anymore. I smoked some weed when I was 16 that was laced with PCP. The doctor said the PCP get's in your brain and could take decades"

paulgriswold (taken for 10 years or more) November 22, 2015

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Haldol (haloperidol) for Mania: "Parent to son with psychotic experiences diagnosed bipolar mania by one doctor and Schizo affective disorder by another. Been on a 3 year roller coaster nightmare. Refusal to take sulpiride and risperidone orally for any time resulted in having depot injections but our experience to date of the depot injections is more negative given the side affects. Like lost personality, tiredness, restlessness. Bouts of long sleeping followed by walking round and round the room. When standing rocking from foot to foot. Inability to engage in conversations. Sense of hopelessness ..We didn't really clue up on the drug and are concerned about the inability to come off/reduce them because a months worth has been injected then topped up."

fish41 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 4, 2015

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Haldol (haloperidol) for Mania: "it made me have violent twitching and uncontrolled facial movements.... it made my mania Worse! Gonna get back on Thorazine. .."

AChrisA September 16, 2015

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Haldol (haloperidol) for Psychosis: "I've been on Haldol for 5 years. I have schizophrenia. This is the only drug that has worked over the period of having this illness. I don't feel I will ever be symptom free there's no magic pill, but since being on this I've been able to manage things much better than before. Really great. I don't like the possibility of the involuntary muscle disease (can't remember what it's called) but I will take that risk to have this benefit."

LCD7888 (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 16, 2015

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Haldol (haloperidol) for Psychosis: "This was the worst experience I had in my life. I had hallucinations and my b/p was 206/126. It was given IM in the hospital and then at again at the treatment facility. I wrote a letter in my room in case they found me dead. I fought the nurse not to give me another one."

Anonymous September 13, 2015