User Reviews for Haloperidol

2.2

Aggressive Behavior

Summary of Haloperidol reviews 5.2 87 reviews

Reviews for Haloperidol

Haldol (haloperidol) for Mania: "I took this once 4 years ago, NEVER took it ever again because I had the worst side effects ever. I was on vacation at the time and I took it because of my manic episodes. I felt soooooooo sleepy yet so restless in my legs and extremely panicky. I had the worst panic attack in my life, screaming my head off at the uncomfortableness in my legs, squirming around like crazy in bed and pacing back and forth. Finally I took a bath and I realized my eyes were yellow! I almost fell to the floor but I made it to the bed and I slept from 7pm to 12pm the next day and even then I was still a zombie. Later that day the side effects wore off and I was able to enjoy my vacation again. Now I'm on a different medication. NEVER AGAIN will I take haldol because it messed me up"

Kiera (taken for less than 1 month) June 2, 2019

For Psychosis: "Haloperidol got all the demons out of my head. I was able to drive a short distance on it. Couldn’t drive long distance. All the voices pretty much stopped and negative and violent intrusive thoughts stopped. This would be good for people with eating disorders to overcome them; as it gets all the demons out of your head. You must take it with cogentin to help the side effect of muscle stiffness. I think this medication was worth taking."

Beth (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2019

For Not Listed / Other: "I witnessed a doctor recommend and give instructions to inject Haldol without a diagnosis. Experienced extreme agitation, pacing, tremors, insomnia, depression, weight loss, confusion, and overall poor quality of life. Nothing could really be done except give some beta blockers and wait 30 days. We even had to move to more remote area for the time being to minimize contact with other people. This is because the behavior is alarming and uncontrollable. He also had trouble speaking during this time. He does not have Tourettes! My friend doesn't have anything that would need to be medicated for except now depression. I read a similar experience. This drug should not be used."

Terrified March 20, 2019

Haldol (haloperidol) for Mania: "If you enjoy facial tics, muscle tremors, uncontrollable pacing, rocking back and forth, stuttering, insomnia, extreme restlessness, blackouts, memory lapses, sleeping 14-16 hours a day, and a complete loss of personality, identity, and all emotions then by all means try this med. Since the injection lasts a month you can look forward to 30 days of these symptoms. I often fantasize about injecting the doc, who gave me this horrible stuff, with a dose and then releasing him out in the world like he did to me."

Socialfilter (taken for less than 1 month) March 2, 2019

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "I took a small dose of haloperidol along with a myriad of strong medication I was overprescribed by a reputable, top psychiatrist about a year ago. It made me severely agitated, impulsive and deepened my self-loathing to the point where I tried to commit suicide. It was my worst (and hopefully last) attempt. I lost consciousness and wouldn't be here had someone not found me...and I am now in a healthy enough place to say I'm so so so grateful to them. Please be careful with this one."

onlyalittle (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2019

Haldol (haloperidol) for Nausea/Vomiting: "I went to the ED for kidney pain and nausea. I have allergies to IV anti nausea meds but can take them orally. They decided to give me .5 of Haldol intravenously. Something inside me was telling me NOT to allow this, but I was so nauseated and they said it would help. I can take oral anti nauseous meds, so I was confused as to why I was getting haldol. The FDA hasn’t approved the intravenous use of haldol in ER settings. Unfortunately, I found all of this out after the fact. 5 minutes after being injected, I got hot flashes, and a huge panic attack. Benadryl helped but my pulse went to 180bpm and slowly tapered down to 100bpm- that’s where it stayed until this evening where I’m finally at a normal 86bpm. It’s been 2 days, and I’m still feeling agitated, and anxious. My advice to anyone being offered haldol: if an ER doc wants to try to see if it works for you-say no, ask for something safer!"

Manders January 23, 2019

Haldol (haloperidol) for : "Given to me to "calm anxiety" sent me into a mental hell, thoughts racing, weak body, no focus. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy was a living hell"

Nate (taken for less than 1 month) December 3, 2018

For Psychosis: "this was the worst."

Anonymous November 12, 2018

For ICU Agitation: "When I was injected Haloperidol in hospital, it made me feel stupid at first, which was not that bad, but 15-16 hours later I had the most severe extrapyramidal symptoms. I had double visions and I could not move my eyes, and then I also had severe muscle spasms that hurt a lot. Haloperidol is literally more dangerous than most illegal drugs!"

Sufferer (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2018

For Aggressive Behavior: "Horrible side effects. Given by ER staff. Now 1 day off the meds still restless and feeling uneasy!"

Zoe (taken for less than 1 month) September 6, 2018

For Psychosis: "I have been diagnosed with schizoeffective disorder bipolar type and after being on several different medications am now taking haloperidol injection once a month. I have had extreme paranoia and hallucinations / delusions for the past 12 years. Have felt better and am more functional since taking haloperidol and Invega sustena. I feel akathesia a great deal almost daily and have struggled with the weight gain. I used to have a career before being diagnosed. Now find it difficult to hold down a job. I struggle to read at times too. Feel like it is effecting my cognitive abilities. Anyone care to share how they lost weight on this drug? Would be of great help."

Il1234 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 31, 2018

Haldol (haloperidol) for Tourette's Syndrome: "I was on it for my Tourette’s and yeah it did work but I gained over 100lbs when I was on this medication so I took myself off it cause my doctors wouldn’t listen."

CJ (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 29, 2018

For ICU Agitation: "While sleeping in a hospital I had a night terror and acted strange (but I was not psychotic) and the stupid hospital staff injected me with Haloperidol although Diazepam would've been enough to calm me. I fell asleep instantly and the next day for the first 12 hours I felt pleasantly dazed, almost like being drunk. Then I started having a strong urge to constantly look upwards (oculogyric crysis). I also had severe painful neck spasms and my eyes became crossed. I spent 4 hours standing on a bed and starring at the ceiling because I move my eyes. The doctors and nurses were very rude to me and told me I am fine and just imagining symptoms. Finally they injected me with Akineton and the spasms slowly went away, but it took a long time for my eyes to go back to normal. Probably the worst experience of my life!"

TroubledMan (taken for less than 1 month) July 11, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting: "Used for stomach pain in ER. It’s been almost 24 hours since I've had the medication through an IV for severe stomach cramping which sent me to the ER in the first place. I’m debating on whether or not to go back tonight since it’s made me so restless and anxious. Awful medication would not recommend this to anyone."

Anonymous July 10, 2018

For Tourette's Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with Tourette's back in 1988 when I was 12 and tried lots of meds but the haldol/haloperidal works really well for me. I've been taking it for 25 yrs or so and I've never had a single side effect that I am aware of. I take 1 mg 3 times per day and honestly, when I take it on time each and every day if you didn't know I had tourette's you'd never guess it. My dr does a liver panel every 6 months before I get refills to make sure it's not doing me harm. I am 42 yrs old now so who knows how it will effect me as I get older but as of now I have no intentions of getting off of it....My experience."

This Guy (taken for 10 years or more) July 8, 2018

Haldol (haloperidol) for Nausea/Vomiting: "Worked great and quickly"

tre June 21, 2018

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "Takes time but does relieve anxiety quite well."

Nikki0412 (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2018

For Mania: "It made me more stable I got less angry and less excited- that is the point of it I think. I usually take 5-10 drops or at the most 20 drops a day, any more than that causes problems."

lifewater (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2018

For Psychosis: "I was extremely irritable and anxious and delusional. I still have delusions but only been taking for 1 day. I feel better much less obsessive on the odd thoughts I was having. My sleep is also back on track as it was all over the place hopefully the longer I take it the better it gets but so far feeling much better overnight"

Jc222 May 2, 2018

For Tourette's Syndrome: "I was on haloperidol for 10+ years. It is NOT supposed to be a long term medicine. (But apparently my doctor at the time didn't care.) I switched doctors and they weaned me off of it. Although I still went through withdrawals because I became dependent on it. I also developed cervical dystonia because of haloperidol. (Cervical dystonia is a very painful condition where your neck muscles move involuntarily, causing your head to twist to one side. It can also cause your head to uncontrollably tilt forward/backward.) And now I have to get 10-12 shots in my neck every 3 months to help with the pain. So just be careful when prescribed this medication!"

Hayley012345 (taken for 10 years or more) May 2, 2018

For Psychosis: "I have psychotic depression but have also been diagnosed as schizoaffective. I was put on haldol the last time I was put in the psych ward. It worked for my anxiety and delusions, didn't make them worse like most antipsychotics, but I did sleep pretty much constantly the next week while hospitalized. I'm not sure why that wasn't concerning to the doctors. I took it for the next 11 months and even with exercise and attempts at dieting could only manage to go up and down 10 lbs. I had gained 120lbs on Resperdal that I wanted to get off. After 11 months my weight just started shooting up and I just kept gaining until I took myself off haldol. I stopped gaining off and managed to lose weight . It also messed with my cholesterol and I slept over 10 hours a day on it, closer to 14. I never felt like myself either but was the most functional that I have been on psych meds. All these symptoms have gone away since I stopped the drugs. I also took wellbutrin and lexapro."

Jess April 20, 2018

For Psychosis: "Saved me without a doubt from psychosis don’t know what I’d of done without it. it was also great for my extreme anxiety. I used to take 5mg nightly within 2 hours I'd feel calm and relaxed, a bit sleepy the only side effect a bit restless but nothing I could not deal with I think the old drugs definitely still have use!"

Ladtad91 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 8, 2018

For Psychosis: "Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking haloperidol: More common Difficulty with speaking or swallowing inability to move the eyes loss of balance control mask-like face muscle spasms, especially of the neck and back restlessness or need to keep moving (severe) shuffling walk stiffness of the arms and legs trembling and shaking of the fingers and hands twisting movements of the body weakness of the arms and legs"

Carlo (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I was given this drug years ago after being found homeless and brought onto a psych ward. A nurse had walked into my room as I was half asleep and said "Here, take this. It will help you feel better. " and handed me a pink pill with some water. I took the pill and went back to sleep and two hours later upon waking, I found my jaw going into spasms and contortions and my tongue hanging out of my mouth like a dog's. It was impossible for me to speak for 2 hours having no control of my tongue. It was awful. I later found out the pill that i had been given was Haldol."

guinea_pig (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2018

Haldol (haloperidol) for Nausea/Vomiting: "Went to ER for uncontrollable vomiting and stomach pain. Haldol was the second try (injection) to improve my symptoms. I am shocked reading all of these other experiences because of the similarity to my case. The haldol helped with the nausea and vomiting but oh my goodness the body cramps and restlessness. My entire body was a giant Charlie horse contorting all over the table and I couldn't stop it. Crying in pain. They finally gave me something else which toned it down some but no way would I ever want to go through that again. I'm sorry for those who have experienced it. It's horrendous :("

D_D January 8, 2018