User Reviews for Haloperidol

Also known as: Haldol, Haldol Decanoate

Learn more about Haloperidol.

Psychosis 31 reviews 18 medications

3.5
Aggressive Behavior 2 reviews 0 medications

Summary of Haloperidol reviews 56 reviews 4.0

Reviews for Haloperidol

For Psychosis: "Been on this haloperidol for approx. 6 yrs. I have now developed parkinsonism, I cannot control movement in my left arm, leg, tongue, I cannot speak properly due to my tongue being all over the place. Trouble swallowing solid food, problem breathing. I wish I had never taken this in the first place. I am told that the damage to my brain is irreversible. STAY AWAY FROM THIS MEDICATION FOR GODS SAKE"

ALEljay July 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Psychosis: "Was started in this in the hospital for psychotic bipolar disorder. Asked for a refill when I was released. Makes your mind quiet, sedated, calm. No hallucinations no delusions. Glad I had a doctor that uses typical antipsychotics because the atypical never worked for me. Aside from the diarrhea this drug is everything and more."

Amanda Sz June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Aggressive Behavior: "I was prescribed haldol for aggression (agitation) when I was hospitalized for bipolar disorder. The psychiatrist I had had a very abrasive personality and prescribed it after I hauled off on staff without telling me anything about it, not even the name. I became extremely shaky, could not hold my head up, was very drowsy and just couldn't function. I literally screamed at my doctor to take me off of it when he gave me something to counteract the shakiness. I was fine then. When I was discharged he was going to give me straight haldol, but I argued with him (and won)."

Glad it's over (taken for less than 1 month) June 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Haldol (haloperidol) for Nausea/Vomiting: "Was given this in the ER for nausea. It killed the nausea, sure, but I was so anxious! I felt as though if I stayed in that hospital bed another second I was going to go crazy. When I was released I raced home and took Xanex to try and combat the anxiety. It's been about 26 hours since I was injected and I still have the urge to move and run around, like restless leg syndrome. I'd rather just be nauseous!"

Lyssa64 May 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Aggressive Behavior: "The pill form is poison, avoid it if you can, seriously. Stiff muscles, fidgety random body parts, weird dreams and grogginess after sleeping longer than you want. Avoid it."

War Vet (taken for less than 1 month) May 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Psychosis: "I was prescribed handily in the psych ward and after receiving an shot I felt very relaxed. Unfortunately the oral pill form isn't the same. I immediately get stiff and anxious to the point that my neck and shoulders were in complete spams. Dr had to order another shot to counteract that and also give me a muscle relaxer. All in all, I felt like my heart was beating out of my chest and I couldn't relax at all."

Tjtaylor (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Psychosis: "Overnight relief from psychosis, controls intrusive thoughts and slows the brain down so you have control of your mind. Such a good feeling to be in control! I do experience fidgeting with limbs, especially my toes. Involuntary muscle spasms went away after about a month."

LilJackieO March 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Haldol (haloperidol) for Nausea/Vomiting: "Went to the ER after experiencing chest pain following advice from my surgery nurse. While being there I mentioned being slightly nauseous. I am extremely allergic to most anti nausea medications going into anaphylactic shock , so I was given haldol. immediately after injection, my heart began beating faster and my anxiety level flew off the chart. Every muscle in my body wanted to move and spasm, I was practically vibrating in the bed seeing as it was only days after having my abdomen cut into it was pretty intense. It was the closest I have ever felt to being out of my mind. I had to be given another medication to counteract the effect of the haldol in my system."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Psychosis: "I can say that until my PA figures out a dosage, for it to work with my system I will never be healed. I first stated at 1 in the morning. That didn't work so I was taking 1 in the morning and one at bedtime. That was to strong for me. So the next thing I did was to cut them in half. That didn't work because half is not enough. Still had hallucinations. If anyone has any clue as to what I can do, leave a message."

flowerpoem (taken for less than 1 month) February 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Psychosis: "Was put on Haldol after being put on several atypicals: Abilify (no effect), Risperdal (high blood pressure/ heart arrhythmia), Geodon (panic attacks/ nightmares). Glad I was switched. Have noticed some side effects with Haldol (slight tremor/ restlessness) but nothing serious. Will definitely be sticking with this medication. Works better for me than the newer meds."

AshEd December 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Tourette's Syndrome: "Been on Haldol since 74, age 17. Side affects were mostly weight gain and dry mouth. Was at one point taking more than prescribed( on my own, no intent of ODing) which made my lethargic, certainly not up to my usual level. The increase didn't increase, nor decrease, my tics. Seems to have 0 effect. I'm still on Haldol currently( Dec'16) and naturally under Drs care. My physicians in my past, although newer meds are available, keep my on Haldol and montitored, if it's not broke, don't fix it. Honestly, since TS tics wax and wane, I'm not fully aware that the drug at current dosage is helping. I don't try to go without ever, because if tics get worse( my understanding is out of system in a matter of days), I'm just not willing to endure tics"

Hehimself (taken for 10 years or more) December 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Haldol (haloperidol) for Mania: "I was given one injection of this with Benadryl by a nurse whom by the doctor in charge was not granted permission to administer the medications. I was sleeping in the ER after four days was woken up by the nurse and told I was a nuisance to him and he and three other male orderlies in the ER told me they were sick of seeing me there. I told him I might have a seizure if it's a drug that wasn't my current medicine and he said he didn't care. Ten minutes or less I had a seizure and the hospital then released me, I found out they were ill equipped to deal with seizures in the specific ER. What a total waste of time! Haldol was horrible for me. Would never recommend!"

Creepyteddybear (taken for less than 1 month) December 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Psychosis: "I had a very spiritual experience where I was having convos with spirits unseen. This was disturbing to my family members and because they did not understand what was happening I got upset at them. They called the doc etc. and I was taken to the hospital for observation. After few weeks being there they forced haldol on me. My conscienceness got lower and I eventually came down from those levels. I got 5 mg oral. They slowly got me off the meds and I was sent home. When I stopped with the meds I got a deep psychose. But was protected by my ancestors. Side effects: lowers IQ, drooling, no happy moments for you. Bad medicine. Used on horses. Made in Belgium by docs who don't know how it feels to have a psychose."

beauty7 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Haldol Decanoate (haloperidol) for Psychosis: "Although this medication completely alleviated all of the symptoms of psychosis, my mom experienced severe joint stiffness, cramping, muscle pain and weakness. During the 6 months she was on this, she changed from healthy and athletic to a near vegitative state. Currently she is unable to get out of bed or use the restroom on her own."

Mom's experience (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Psychosis: "This drug gave me clear thinking but gave a lot of demotivation too. I felt like a zombie on this medication. Had to stop this due to anxiety and suicidal thoughts."

Anonymous_1980 September 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Psychosis: "Causes dystonia but is extremely effective. Nothing that can't be fixed by benztropine."

okazakifrag (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Psychosis: "I was prescribed haldol for psychosis. After only a few weeks my condition was improving and after a month my auditory and visual hallucinations were gone. I have not experienced any side effects while on haldol."

haloperidol (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Haldol (haloperidol) for Nausea/Vomiting: "I went to the er for stomach cramping and tenderness after a bought of stomach flu. For some reason they used this instead of Zofran or Phenergan first. I had horrible side effects. Every muscle in my body spasmed to the point of nearly dislocating my jaw. It took a full 36 hours to leave my system. Benadryl helped, but did not reverse the effects. I was disoriented and screaming in pain only a few seconds after receiving it. Use caution. The side effects were not worth it."

Snowf14 August 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Tourette's Syndrome: "Our daughter was on this when she was in elementary school, it was pretty bad. It made her so terribly tired she couldn't keep up in school. Terrible way for a child to live. Over the summer we were going on a vacation and she begged us to take her off it so she wouldn't be so tired so we had to gradually wean her off and then back on again when school started. Thank goodness the tic eventually went away after about a year or a year and a half or so..."

CiCi2016 August 11, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nausea/Vomiting: "An ENT Doctor put my 79 year old mother on 1 mg of Haloperidol twice a day for 90 days. We di d not know she was taking it. She stopped going out to do normal errands, she was in bed a lot, she was losing weight, she had become a zombie, she has no appetite. She was put on it because she was burping a lot and had tried 3 other medications. She has had all kinds of tests to figure out why she was burping all the time but doctors have not been able to figure it out. This ENT Doctor is out of town but his associate told us this was probably too high of a dosage for an elderly and recommended he get us a new prescription for .25 mg twice a day, meaning she was taking 4 times the amount. We took her off it, I just hope I get my real mom back."

very upset daughter (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dementia: "This medicine gave me the most horrifying, terrifying, side effects ever! I took it last summer and man the feeling is haunting! I was on a beach vacation and I took the medicine b4 heading back out to the pool, not knowing about the scary side effects. In 30 min, I became unusually sleepy and went back to the room and Man I couldn't sleep! My legs were SO restless it wasn't funny! I felt like I had to explode outta my damn body! My mum massaged me till I fell asleep. Terrible medicine "

Aria9682 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 6, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Psychosis: "I am doing good while on haldol, still a bit of anxiety, but I can cope it is way more controlled now. Not sure I will ever be not sick, I am taking 20 drops in the morning and 10 in the mid day, 5mg pill before night...My sleep is very good, no dreams....That is a huge step with controlling my PTSD....I feel good during the day and can function, only downside, Im a bit of a hermit do not really want to leave my house....In all I think a good drug for those who need it..."

haldol July 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ICU Agitation: "My wife was given this medicine for pain in the hospital. The following day she had many side affects. Her face was disfigured and constant twitching of facial muscles and toungue. Luckily 48 hours later she was back to normal. I dont recommend this medication unless all safer meds have been considered. It scared us when these things started happening, we thought maybe she was having a stroke. We landed back at the doctors office to learn that it was caused by the meds."

Best husband May 11, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Haldol (haloperidol) for Psychosis: "This medication worked like a charm. There were no negative side effects and I lost about 15 pounds on it. It controlled all my symptoms perfectly, and really helped me with my anxiety, mild psychosis and depression. I have a PHD and really appreciate how much this drug has helped me during my schooling. I did not relapse after I went off this drug. It has been 4 years since I went off this medication and I am symptom free."

Anonj26 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Haldol (haloperidol) for Psychosis: "Very very effective. Would recommend. Helpful medicine for psychosis and mania. Helps with delusions and paranoia and voices and all that comes with a psychotic episode. Only down side is a feeling of anxiety and having to move around and can't sit still for too long when on this med but it is a very effective medication."

Bipolar type Schizzoaffective (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 21, 2016