User Reviews for Haloperidol to treat Nausea/Vomiting

Also known as: Haldol, Haldol Decanoate

Haloperidol has an average rating of 3.0 out of 10 from a total of 23 ratings for the treatment of Nausea/Vomiting. 17% of those users who reviewed Haloperidol reported a positive effect, while 74% reported a negative effect.

Haloperidol Rating Summary

3.0/10 average rating

Compare all 169 medications used in the treatment of Nausea/Vomiting.

Reviews for Haloperidol

Francesca · Taken for less than 1 month February 4, 2021

Haldol (haloperidol): “I was given IV Haldol in the ER yesterday along with zofran, decadron and Benadryl for a migraine w/ nausea. I react terribly to compazine and Reglan (I feel like I can’t stand being in my own skin, want to climb the walls, etc. Indescribable really but AWFUL)! I specifically asked if there was any chance Haldol would cause a similar reaction and was ensured it would not. It did. I’m still agitated, unable to sleep and anxious this morning. I cannot wait until it wears off. Def not worth it.”

Jaybles · Taken for less than 1 month January 30, 2021

“Horrible ER experience, was given haloperidol for bad migraine/vomiting. Drug made me feel like climbing the walls and like I was coming out of my skin. Same feeling I get from compazine. I have compazine listed as a allergy so why they thought they could give me Haldol is beyond me. Relieved migraine but the agitation experienced and hopeless feeling was definitely not worth it”

Roc January 6, 2021

Haldol (haloperidol): “Was in for laparoscopy procedure and was very nauseous after the surgery. Initial treatment with Zofran wasn’t helpful, so they then injected Haldol to relieve the emesis and nausea. It made feel drowsy and restless at the same time. I can’t tell if I’m thankful it helped as an antiemetic or if I absolutely hate it because of the restless legs, anxious, crawling out of my skin feelings. It made resting and sleep very difficult after a reallllllly long day at the hospital. My advice, see if doctor has exhausted all other medications/solutions first! The side effects may make you regret taking it.”

Roxrdt · Taken for less than 1 month January 15, 2020

Haldol (haloperidol): “They gave me this medicine for stomach pain and all it did was make me loose control physically and mentally. I could not stop moving my arm and legs and I thought I was going to be put in a rubber room scared the life out of me never again”

Michael · Taken for less than 1 month August 29, 2020

Haldol (haloperidol): “Sometime after my same day surgery to treat a cancer tumor, I was given some unspecified amount of Haldol through my IV line. I was shocked when I heard I was given Haldol since it is known as an anti-psychotic drug with very severe side effects I had no idea it was ever used for the prevention of nausea and vomiting over all standard such as Zofran. Since I had same procedure several weeks earlier I was amazed Define the effects of what I thought was just the anesthesia wear so much more severe. I had disorientation, restlessness, anxiety, memory problems, tiredness, sleepiness, constipation, and even some depression. I can only attribute the difference in my reaction to the use of Haldol. It's been about 48 hours since I was discharged from the hospital, and I still don't feel right. My advice to any patient who may be given this drug to treat/prevent nausea and vomiting is to request something else that's much safer. I would certainly never take this again.”

Jimmy · Taken for less than 1 month April 23, 2020

Haldol (haloperidol): “I got rushed to the ER for nonstop vomiting. I was vomiting for over 10 hours until I finally decided to go to the hospital. They gave me 2 injections of Zofran but unfortunately, I was still vomiting. Then they gave me a dose of Haldol which finally stopped my vomiting. My horrible stomach cramps were gone as well. I was able to get the best possible sleep. When I woke up, I felt like a million bucks. Haldol definitely saved me!”

Bear · Taken for less than 1 month June 27, 2019

Haldol (haloperidol): “Take this medicine if you want the worst experience of your life! This caused extreme restlessness & anxiety. I felt like I couldn't move, and it was hard to talk. IV causes a more serve adverse reaction than IM or oral form. If you get these med, make sure you are ALSO given benadryl, cogentin, or a benzo to prevent these side effects! I was given benadryl & ativan, but they had to give me an extra dose of each because it wasn't helping enough.”

Anonymous March 3, 2010

Haldol (haloperidol): “Haldol was given to my mother for nausea/vomiting in her final days/weeks of battling colon cancer. Haldol worked great for nausea but the side effects were horrible. She was not drowsy, she was out! Not coherent, confused, wasn't able to eat and at times was agitated. Be very careful using this medication. It took two days after stopping the medication for it to leave her system and return to a normal state of mind.”

Manders January 23, 2019

Haldol (haloperidol): “I went to the ED for kidney pain and nausea. I have allergies to IV anti nausea meds but can take them orally. They decided to give me .5 of Haldol intravenously. Something inside me was telling me NOT to allow this, but I was so nauseated and they said it would help. I can take oral anti nauseous meds, so I was confused as to why I was getting haldol. The FDA hasn’t approved the intravenous use of haldol in ER settings. Unfortunately, I found all of this out after the fact. 5 minutes after being injected, I got hot flashes, and a huge panic attack. Benadryl helped but my pulse went to 180bpm and slowly tapered down to 100bpm- that’s where it stayed until this evening where I’m finally at a normal 86bpm. It’s been 2 days, and I’m still feeling agitated, and anxious. My advice to anyone being offered haldol: if an ER doc wants to try to see if it works for you-say no, ask for something safer!”

Christine · Taken for less than 1 month December 29, 2020

“I went to the ER due to kidney stones and vomiting. The ER doctor gave me haldol. This drug is awful. I thought the room was closing in on me and my jaw started spasming. I had my first ever panic attack at age 44. No freaking way would I have agreed to take this drug had they told me what it's normally used for. It took me days to feel better. They had to give me two injections of another drug to make the haldol side affects to stop.”

Lyssa64 May 25, 2017

Haldol (haloperidol): “Was given this in the ER for nausea. It killed the nausea, sure, but I was so anxious! I felt as though if I stayed in that hospital bed another second I was going to go crazy. When I was released I raced home and took Xanex to try and combat the anxiety. It's been about 26 hours since I was injected and I still have the urge to move and run around, like restless leg syndrome. I'd rather just be nauseous!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 13, 2017

Haldol (haloperidol): “Went to the ER after experiencing chest pain following advice from my surgery nurse. While being there I mentioned being slightly nauseous. I am extremely allergic to most anti nausea medications going into anaphylactic shock , so I was given haldol. immediately after injection, my heart began beating faster and my anxiety level flew off the chart. Every muscle in my body wanted to move and spasm, I was practically vibrating in the bed seeing as it was only days after having my abdomen cut into it was pretty intense. It was the closest I have ever felt to being out of my mind. I had to be given another medication to counteract the effect of the haldol in my system.”

Lola · Taken for less than 1 month December 15, 2020

“My 19 y.o. son was admitted to the ER, he had been throwing up all day and there was some blood in his vomit. Because of COVID-19 I was unable to go in with him which was horrible because of this kind of situation. They gave him a few meds along with Haldol by IV. He came out after 9 hours doing better but the next day he kept calling me at work saying he was so restless and couldn't stand being in his body, really struggling. I talked him through some meditation and he took walks but today (2 days after) he is still somewhat restless and agitated, not his personality at all. It made me look at what they gave him, Haldol, I was shocked when I read the discharge papers as I'd only known this to be given for severe dementia in elderly people who become basically zombies from it. After reading other's experiences it confirms why he's been so off. If I'd been in there with him there is no way I'd have said okay to Haldol being administered. Never again. Poor kid.”

D_D January 8, 2018

Haldol (haloperidol): “Went to ER for uncontrollable vomiting and stomach pain. Haldol was the second try (injection) to improve my symptoms. I am shocked reading all of these other experiences because of the similarity to my case. The haldol helped with the nausea and vomiting but oh my goodness the body cramps and restlessness. My entire body was a giant Charlie horse contorting all over the table and I couldn't stop it. Crying in pain. They finally gave me something else which toned it down some but no way would I ever want to go through that again. I'm sorry for those who have experienced it. It's horrendous :(”

Stage4Diva · Taken for less than 1 month February 16, 2013

Haldol (haloperidol): “Experiencing horrible nausea/vomiting with Dilaudid for pain associated with Stage4 Breast cancer. My normal antinausea medication was Zofran, but it started to not work. I was given 0.5 mg I.V. of Haldol every hour for nausea. It worked, but did "knock me to nap" for a little while. After I woke up, I did feel groggy and was able to eat and drink without incident.”

Snowf14 August 14, 2016

Haldol (haloperidol): “I went to the er for stomach cramping and tenderness after a bought of stomach flu. For some reason they used this instead of Zofran or Phenergan first. I had horrible side effects. Every muscle in my body spasmed to the point of nearly dislocating my jaw. It took a full 36 hours to leave my system. Benadryl helped, but did not reverse the effects. I was disoriented and screaming in pain only a few seconds after receiving it. Use caution. The side effects were not worth it.”

Misty Sierra January 15, 2013

Haldol (haloperidol): “I have Addison's disease we had tried all conventional medications. I got this injected by the ER and told my dr that even though they gave it to me for anxiety I didn't vomit or get nauseous for 24 hrs.”

77777777 August 19, 2017

Haldol (haloperidol): “Still felt nauseous after being given this drug after surgery. I woke up extremely sick and vomiting. This was the third drug given to help combat these effects. I didn't know I'd been given it but my heart started racing and concerned the nursing staff, and their concern made me anxious. I was so scared and paranoid about what was happening to me which I later found out was all because of this drug. They ended up flushing it out of my system.”

guinea_pig · Taken for less than 1 month February 7, 2018

“I was given this drug years ago after being found homeless and brought onto a psych ward. A nurse had walked into my room as I was half asleep and said "Here, take this. It will help you feel better. " and handed me a pink pill with some water. I took the pill and went back to sleep and two hours later upon waking, I found my jaw going into spasms and contortions and my tongue hanging out of my mouth like a dog's. It was impossible for me to speak for 2 hours having no control of my tongue. It was awful. I later found out the pill that i had been given was Haldol.”

Anonymous July 10, 2018

“Used for stomach pain in ER. It’s been almost 24 hours since I've had the medication through an IV for severe stomach cramping which sent me to the ER in the first place. I’m debating on whether or not to go back tonight since it’s made me so restless and anxious. Awful medication would not recommend this to anyone.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month September 4, 2017

“I was given a shot of haldol for Gastroparesis related symptoms at the ER. It caused immediate and severe agitation and restlessness. The worst sensation of my life. I wanted to rip my skin off. They gave me Benadryl to try to combat the reaction. It temporarily lessened the symptoms, but took over two days to get out of my system. I will NEVER take this medication again.”

Lauri1234 August 10, 2019

“Was given haloperidol in ER thru IV. Within seconds I got a hot flash like the menopause kind and then I felt like I couldn't sit still. They wouldn't give me anything to reverse it. Stayed like that for 2 hrs then they discharged me. It is 14 hrs later and still feeling agitated and restless. I hope it stops soon cause benadryl is making it worse.”

very upset daughter · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 8, 2016

“An ENT Doctor put my 79 year old mother on 1 mg of Haloperidol twice a day for 90 days. We di d not know she was taking it. She stopped going out to do normal errands, she was in bed a lot, she was losing weight, she had become a zombie, she has no appetite. She was put on it because she was burping a lot and had tried 3 other medications. She has had all kinds of tests to figure out why she was burping all the time but doctors have not been able to figure it out. This ENT Doctor is out of town but his associate told us this was probably too high of a dosage for an elderly and recommended he get us a new prescription for .25 mg twice a day, meaning she was taking 4 times the amount. We took her off it, I just hope I get my real mom back.”

Lulu · Taken for less than 1 month July 26, 2019

“Was given this med through IV in the ER for severe stomach cramping and vomiting. It helped the cramping in stomach and vomiting but the moment they administered this drug I knew something was wrong. My legs started getting sore and cramping up on their own. Parts of my body would twitch and shake and I just couldn’t take it anymore I thought I was having a mental break. I was terrified that I’d be stuck like this forever with the awful panic that also came along with this med. Went right back into emerg and had them give me benadryl and a pill to reverse the effects. Never AGAIN!!!!”

Anonymous June 29, 2020

“Was given haloperidol for stomach pain and nausea. Made everything worse they should have never given it. Only slept 1 hour that night in the hospital and was miserable”

tre June 21, 2018

Haldol (haloperidol): “Worked great and quickly”

Learn more about Nausea/Vomiting