User Reviews for Haldol

Haldol has an average rating of 4.8 out of 10 from a total of 42 ratings on Drugs.com. 35% of those users who reviewed Haldol reported a positive effect, while 50% reported a negative effect.

Psychosis   7.8
Dementia   1.0
Summary of Haldol reviews 4.8 42 reviews

Reviews for Haldol

Francesca · Taken for less than 1 month February 4, 2021

For Nausea/Vomiting: “I was given IV Haldol in the ER yesterday along with zofran, decadron and Benadryl for a migraine w/ nausea. I react terribly to compazine and Reglan (I feel like I can’t stand being in my own skin, want to climb the walls, etc. Indescribable really but AWFUL)! I specifically asked if there was any chance Haldol would cause a similar reaction and was ensured it would not. It did. I’m still agitated, unable to sleep and anxious this morning. I cannot wait until it wears off. Def not worth it.”

Roc January 6, 2021

For Nausea/Vomiting: “Was in for laparoscopy procedure and was very nauseous after the surgery. Initial treatment with Zofran wasn’t helpful, so they then injected Haldol to relieve the emesis and nausea. It made feel drowsy and restless at the same time. I can’t tell if I’m thankful it helped as an antiemetic or if I absolutely hate it because of the restless legs, anxious, crawling out of my skin feelings. It made resting and sleep very difficult after a reallllllly long day at the hospital. My advice, see if doctor has exhausted all other medications/solutions first! The side effects may make you regret taking it.”

Michael · Taken for less than 1 month August 29, 2020

For Nausea/Vomiting: “Sometime after my same day surgery to treat a cancer tumor, I was given some unspecified amount of Haldol through my IV line. I was shocked when I heard I was given Haldol since it is known as an anti-psychotic drug with very severe side effects I had no idea it was ever used for the prevention of nausea and vomiting over all standard such as Zofran. Since I had same procedure several weeks earlier I was amazed Define the effects of what I thought was just the anesthesia wear so much more severe. I had disorientation, restlessness, anxiety, memory problems, tiredness, sleepiness, constipation, and even some depression. I can only attribute the difference in my reaction to the use of Haldol. It's been about 48 hours since I was discharged from the hospital, and I still don't feel right. My advice to any patient who may be given this drug to treat/prevent nausea and vomiting is to request something else that's much safer. I would certainly never take this again.”

Jimmy · Taken for less than 1 month April 23, 2020

For Nausea/Vomiting: “I got rushed to the ER for nonstop vomiting. I was vomiting for over 10 hours until I finally decided to go to the hospital. They gave me 2 injections of Zofran but unfortunately, I was still vomiting. Then they gave me a dose of Haldol which finally stopped my vomiting. My horrible stomach cramps were gone as well. I was able to get the best possible sleep. When I woke up, I felt like a million bucks. Haldol definitely saved me!”

Bob · Taken for less than 1 month April 11, 2020

For ICU Agitation: “My 17 year old son with severe autism was given Haldol during a pediatric ER visit. He is non-verbal and usually has severe anxiety in any healthcare setting. We took him to the ER because he appeared dehydrated after 24-36 hours of nausea, vomiting and behavioral symptoms that had become more severe. We informed the ER physician that he typically reacts the exact opposite to sedatives than should be expected and recommended one drug that has been effective in the past. A sedative was necessary in order to obtain a CT scan. The physician wanted to use Haldol because it has been effective with kids with autism and could also help my sons nausea. My son had no problem with the nurse setting up the IV which was not his norm. It did not take long after injecting this drug for him to go from calm, quiet and lethargic to needing 6-7 adults to subdue him and strap his wrists and ankles to his bed. What a joke!”

Roxrdt · Taken for less than 1 month January 15, 2020

For Nausea/Vomiting: “They gave me this medicine for stomach pain and all it did was make me loose control physically and mentally. I could not stop moving my arm and legs and I thought I was going to be put in a rubber room scared the life out of me never again”

Peter · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 16, 2019

For Psychosis: “My side effects of Haldol = Restlessness and Anxiety. The need to move coupled with the desire not to. Muscle tension and tremors, combined with the ability to walk correctly. Heavy drooling at the mouth, nausea, and terrible constipation amounting to the inability to take a dump, and the inability the urinate without sitting down. In addition, the inability to ejaculate.”

Bear · Taken for less than 1 month June 27, 2019

For Nausea/Vomiting: “Take this medicine if you want the worst experience of your life! This caused extreme restlessness & anxiety. I felt like I couldn't move, and it was hard to talk. IV causes a more serve adverse reaction than IM or oral form. If you get these med, make sure you are ALSO given benadryl, cogentin, or a benzo to prevent these side effects! I was given benadryl & ativan, but they had to give me an extra dose of each because it wasn't helping enough.”

Kiera · Taken for less than 1 month June 2, 2019

For Mania: “I took this once 4 years ago, NEVER took it ever again because I had the worst side effects ever. I was on vacation at the time and I took it because of my manic episodes. I felt soooooooo sleepy yet so restless in my legs and extremely panicky. I had the worst panic attack in my life, screaming my head off at the uncomfortableness in my legs, squirming around like crazy in bed and pacing back and forth. Finally I took a bath and I realized my eyes were yellow! I almost fell to the floor but I made it to the bed and I slept from 7pm to 12pm the next day and even then I was still a zombie. Later that day the side effects wore off and I was able to enjoy my vacation again. Now I'm on a different medication. NEVER AGAIN will I take haldol because it messed me up”

Socialfilter · Taken for less than 1 month March 2, 2019

For Mania: “If you enjoy facial tics, muscle tremors, uncontrollable pacing, rocking back and forth, stuttering, insomnia, extreme restlessness, blackouts, memory lapses, sleeping 14-16 hours a day, and a complete loss of personality, identity, and all emotions then by all means try this med. Since the injection lasts a month you can look forward to 30 days of these symptoms. I often fantasize about injecting the doc, who gave me this horrible stuff, with a dose and then releasing him out in the world like he did to me.”

Manders January 23, 2019

For Nausea/Vomiting: “I went to the ED for kidney pain and nausea. I have allergies to IV anti nausea meds but can take them orally. They decided to give me .5 of Haldol intravenously. Something inside me was telling me NOT to allow this, but I was so nauseated and they said it would help. I can take oral anti nauseous meds, so I was confused as to why I was getting haldol. The FDA hasn’t approved the intravenous use of haldol in ER settings. Unfortunately, I found all of this out after the fact. 5 minutes after being injected, I got hot flashes, and a huge panic attack. Benadryl helped but my pulse went to 180bpm and slowly tapered down to 100bpm- that’s where it stayed until this evening where I’m finally at a normal 86bpm. It’s been 2 days, and I’m still feeling agitated, and anxious. My advice to anyone being offered haldol: if an ER doc wants to try to see if it works for you-say no, ask for something safer!”

Nate · Taken for less than 1 month December 3, 2018

“Given to me to "calm anxiety" sent me into a mental hell, thoughts racing, weak body, no focus. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy was a living hell”

CJ · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 29, 2018

For Tourette's Syndrome: “I was on it for my Tourette’s and yeah it did work but I gained over 100lbs when I was on this medication so I took myself off it cause my doctors wouldn’t listen.”

tre June 21, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting: “Worked great and quickly”

D_D January 8, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting: “Went to ER for uncontrollable vomiting and stomach pain. Haldol was the second try (injection) to improve my symptoms. I am shocked reading all of these other experiences because of the similarity to my case. The haldol helped with the nausea and vomiting but oh my goodness the body cramps and restlessness. My entire body was a giant Charlie horse contorting all over the table and I couldn't stop it. Crying in pain. They finally gave me something else which toned it down some but no way would I ever want to go through that again. I'm sorry for those who have experienced it. It's horrendous :(”

jm3 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 9, 2017

For Psychosis: “I've tried this drug, got side effects, like restless legs. Loss of overall happiness, it doesn't feel like it provide anything”

eric12345678 September 14, 2017

For Psychosis: “I have been taking 50mg decanoate every 28 days, and 10mg/day oral for schizo-effective. This has been the most effective medicine I have ever used! (I have tried all the atypicals with no luck except olanzapine and lurasidone) I have been taking it for over 10 years now. Absolutely no side effects for me, not even weight gain. When I get the shot I usually take a nap in afternoon because it makes me sleepy. If I don't take haldol, I normally get very religious (but twisted type of religious) and tortured with psychosis and generally feel awful with bags under my eyes, acting weird, and not being able to sleep - usually landing me in the hospital. Haldol balances me almost exactly, and I am able to program computers and read and be happy.”

77777777 August 19, 2017

For Nausea/Vomiting: “Still felt nauseous after being given this drug after surgery. I woke up extremely sick and vomiting. This was the third drug given to help combat these effects. I didn't know I'd been given it but my heart started racing and concerned the nursing staff, and their concern made me anxious. I was so scared and paranoid about what was happening to me which I later found out was all because of this drug. They ended up flushing it out of my system.”

Lyssa64 May 25, 2017

For Nausea/Vomiting: “Was given this in the ER for nausea. It killed the nausea, sure, but I was so anxious! I felt as though if I stayed in that hospital bed another second I was going to go crazy. When I was released I raced home and took Xanex to try and combat the anxiety. It's been about 26 hours since I was injected and I still have the urge to move and run around, like restless leg syndrome. I'd rather just be nauseous!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 13, 2017

For Nausea/Vomiting: “Went to the ER after experiencing chest pain following advice from my surgery nurse. While being there I mentioned being slightly nauseous. I am extremely allergic to most anti nausea medications going into anaphylactic shock , so I was given haldol. immediately after injection, my heart began beating faster and my anxiety level flew off the chart. Every muscle in my body wanted to move and spasm, I was practically vibrating in the bed seeing as it was only days after having my abdomen cut into it was pretty intense. It was the closest I have ever felt to being out of my mind. I had to be given another medication to counteract the effect of the haldol in my system.”

Creepyteddybear · Taken for less than 1 month December 10, 2016

For Mania: “I was given one injection of this with Benadryl by a nurse whom by the doctor in charge was not granted permission to administer the medications. I was sleeping in the ER after four days was woken up by the nurse and told I was a nuisance to him and he and three other male orderlies in the ER told me they were sick of seeing me there. I told him I might have a seizure if it's a drug that wasn't my current medicine and he said he didn't care. Ten minutes or less I had a seizure and the hospital then released me, I found out they were ill equipped to deal with seizures in the specific ER. What a total waste of time! Haldol was horrible for me. Would never recommend!”

Snowf14 August 14, 2016

For Nausea/Vomiting: “I went to the er for stomach cramping and tenderness after a bought of stomach flu. For some reason they used this instead of Zofran or Phenergan first. I had horrible side effects. Every muscle in my body spasmed to the point of nearly dislocating my jaw. It took a full 36 hours to leave my system. Benadryl helped, but did not reverse the effects. I was disoriented and screaming in pain only a few seconds after receiving it. Use caution. The side effects were not worth it.”

Anonj26 · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 11, 2016

For Psychosis: “This medication worked like a charm. There were no negative side effects and I lost about 15 pounds on it. It controlled all my symptoms perfectly, and really helped me with my anxiety, mild psychosis and depression. I have a PHD and really appreciate how much this drug has helped me during my schooling. I did not relapse after I went off this drug. It has been 4 years since I went off this medication and I am symptom free.”

Bipolar type Schizzoaffective · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 21, 2016

For Psychosis: “Very very effective. Would recommend. Helpful medicine for psychosis and mania. Helps with delusions and paranoia and voices and all that comes with a psychotic episode. Only down side is a feeling of anxiety and having to move around and can't sit still for too long when on this med but it is a very effective medication.”

fish41 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 4, 2015

For Mania: “Parent to son with psychotic experiences diagnosed bipolar mania by one doctor and Schizo affective disorder by another. Been on a 3 year roller coaster nightmare. Refusal to take sulpiride and risperidone orally for any time resulted in having depot injections but our experience to date of the depot injections is more negative given the side affects. Like lost personality, tiredness, restlessness. Bouts of long sleeping followed by walking round and round the room. When standing rocking from foot to foot. Inability to engage in conversations. Sense of hopelessness ..We didn't really clue up on the drug and are concerned about the inability to come off/reduce them because a months worth has been injected then topped up.”