User Reviews for Aricept

Alzheimer's Disease 4.9

Reviews for Aricept

Eve February 29, 2020

For Alzheimer's Disease: “My mom took this for 4 days and it was the most horrible experience of all of our lives. She has very mild dementia from stroke and TIAs. We thought perhaps her inability to walk and anxiety could be helped by a neurologist and this was prescribed. We should have waited for the MRI. She did not eat hardly at all. She cried a lot and at night she went completely insane. She thought I was her mother. So the doctor took her off of it. Then the 2 weeks of withdrawal with hallucinations, diarrhea, etc, wandering around without clothes. I am afraid she will never come back to herself again. One of the worst things I have ever been through and I can't imagine how bad it was for her.”

sam · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 22, 2019

For Alzheimer's Disease: “This was used on one of my parents. EXPENSIVE - Does not help and caused diarrhea”

Sandy · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 12, 2019

“I came on this site to try to find out more information on Aricept for use for my issues ( over active brain) and not dementia. I came to find out I was wrong no one talked about my issues. The doctor told my husband it was generally given for dementia but it may help me. That is the BEST decision a doctor has ever made for me. I am a new person. Prior to taking this I felt like I didn't ever sleep and when I did my mind was racing and I could feel my arms moving all of the time. He gave me 5mg for 1 month and the second month which starts tomorrow I go onto 10 mg. I PRAY it keeps working this good. This drug has saved my life and my marriage.”

Bob872 · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 20, 2019

For Alzheimer's Disease: “Update , now on 10 Mgs of Aricept for Alzheimer's. Memory has improved a bit but still some confusion when driving . Overall I feel like it is helping . Can now finish most sentences but mind still wanders . Time will tell . I'm turning 61 next well and very thankful for my Neurologist . God Bless.”

berta59463 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 27, 2019

For Alzheimer's Disease: “My MD tagged my DL (drivers licence)when she prescribed this med. When I asked why she said "we report every prescription of this med to the DMV." So (age 71) I took the written test and am scheduled for the road test. Proctor said "you did VERY well!" on the written test! Not too worried about the driving test (my 40 YO niece says "you drive better than I do!"). So be forewarned. Drug well tolerated, no issues. Is it doing anything good? Who knows?”

mary June 16, 2019

For Alzheimer's Disease: “Had great hopes for Aricept to help but it left me very weak and sore from nausea and diarrhea 8 hours after taking. I could do very little all day. I weigh less than 100 lbs and think even 5 mg was too much for me. Glad it works for some . I will not take this med again.”

Sana January 2, 2019

For Alzheimer's Disease: “My Mother was only on .5 mgs but was confused and strange on it. She was on it two weeks until finally I took her off . She has never been the same since. She used to follow a routine. Now her brain is terrible . It makes me sick to my stomach how much this drug deteriorated my Mother. She got a throats infection and a finger infection during that time , if you read the fine print 13 % of people get an infection on it. But they say, I don't believe them, that 12% get an infection on placebo . Making it 1% extra people that get an infection. Well then my Mom was the 1% and had to go on antibiotics that screwed her system up too. I really feel sick we gave her this drug. ”

Bob 872 November 30, 2018

For Alzheimer's Disease: “I have been on Aricept 5mg at bedtime for 2 months . Was diagnosed just after I turned 60 this summer . I started having trouble finishing a sentence , my mind would go blank . I knew something was wrong . Had the blood test APOE test and scored 3/4 out of 4/4 . Aricept seems to be helping me think clearer . The side effects of Diarrhea first happen in the beginning , but went away . Don't give up on this medication . Its helping me .”

Bird · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 26, 2018

For Alzheimer's Disease: “I was taking Aricept to help preserve my memory, due to the fact that I am 46 yrs old. I had brain surgery in 2009 to prevent seizures and now my memory is very bad. I took this medicine for about 2 months, but the vivid dreams and leg cramps were just too much to handle. I am trying a new Alzheimer's medicine now. I believe every medicine has side effects, we just have to pick and choose!!!”

Tahs August 24, 2017

For Alzheimer's Disease: “At 78 my husband started on aricept 10mg for increasing symptoms of Alzheimer's . He did well for a long time . Memory improved. When he stared to decline again months later he was put on namzaric. Did great again for many months. He now has had increase in aricept. Showed improvement. Again. Wishing this would last.”

Kay111981 · Taken for less than 1 month August 18, 2017

“Caused severe agitation & anger”

Pehs · Taken for less than 1 month May 7, 2017

For Alzheimer's Disease: “My mother was on this medication for 2 weeks for early stages of Alzheimer's. The first week family thought we could see noticeable improvement. By the end of the 2nd week she was confused and defecating in her hand which she had never done before. The doctor discontinued and after a few days she was back to where she was before starting the med. My advice is watch your loved one closely for side effects.”

Maple3 October 7, 2016

For Alzheimer's Disease: “Several years of vascular dementia and growing increasingly worse now, my 89 year old mother started aricept during the last month. First day she was like a new person, clear thinking with memory, energy, and motivated. Second day much less, and was dizzy and constipated by 6th day. Now appearing more confused than without the drug. Not a good experience, will be moving on.”

WTFman September 21, 2016

For Alzheimer's Disease: “Father was almost himself again with aricept but it gave him uncontrollable diarrhea so he won't take it.”

Carer3 May 18, 2016

For Alzheimer's Disease: “My mother (74) was prescribed Aricept when she was diagnosed about 5 years ago. She had very few side effects and seemed less anxious. However, there was no noticeable change in cognitive function, which has deteriorated fairly rapidly, especially in the last 2 years. It is hard to say whether the drug had any positive effect as I will never know what my mother would have been like without it. It may or may not have slowed the progression of the Alzheimer's.”

carolelanier · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 24, 2015

For Alzheimer's Disease: “I have taken Namenda and Ariceptfor years. Memory has improved! Have had the vivid dreams others have described, also muscle cramps. Is am going to cut back on the Aricept and see if it helps....although usually enjoy my dreams!”

SKC4767 October 26, 2015

For Alzheimer's Disease: “Trouble sleeping,stomach pain,headache,constipation,fever,”

My dad · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 8, 2015

For Alzheimer's Disease: “My 82 year old dad went on this med to slow the memory loss. It did seem to help that but we have had uncharacteristic behavioral issues where he can't keep his hands off the ladies. So much that it is a problem in the assisted living memory care unit he lives in and now he has to go to a behavioral place to change his Medicene. Sheeeesh!”

ALZ+ · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 20, 2013

For Alzheimer's Disease: “63 yr old woman, early onset Alzheimer's diagnosed July 2013. Prescribed Aricept 5 mg and Namenda. Found Namenda made me agitated and angry so quit. 10 mg Aricept and serious side effects. While waiting for new doctor to take over past neurologist's care, have adjusted meds myself to keep the memory help - which is astounding - and lessens side effects which includes severe muscle cramps in legs, water retention, ankle and hand swelling, back pain, increased blood pressure, heart palpitations. I now take 1/2 of the 5 mg tablet in morning and am still retaining benefits with reduced side effects. Aricept restored my ability to read and gave me energy and focus I have not had in 3 years. Lower dose on most meds always works better for me.”

Dementia patient · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 20, 2013

For Alzheimer's Disease: “I noticed a big difference once starting this medication. I do Suduko puzzles everyday. Eventually, I stopped taking this medicine because of leg cramps that kept me up at night, and I could not do Suduko as well. Once I went back on the medicine, I could resume my puzzles. My pharmacist gave me Hylands for leg cramps and now I sleep better and am not so foggy. Very happy.”

Aldrich loop May 11, 2013

For Alzheimer's Disease: “My mom has been on Aricept for 5 months, 5 mg. Mom has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. Medication has helped her be more alert, making longer conversations, better effect. Short memory exists but her condition had not worsened. Will see neurologist to determine to increase medication to 10 mg. Mom's condition has been stable and we are hoping to slow the disease.”

thewarner1 October 27, 2011

For Alzheimer's Disease: “In 2000, my mother suffered persistent diarrhea with this medicine, could not get rid of it until the medicine was stopped. My mother-in-law had the same problem this year. She also had delusions and paranoia, which have been almost eliminated by a medicine she started a month ago, Risperdone. If you try Risperdone, start with lowest dose, it makes her very sleepy and a side effect is depressed heart rate, can be dangerous. It also stimulates appetite, which was good for Mom, she was losing 1-2 pounds per week but the doctor cautioned against excess weight gain and concerns regarding diabetes. We're going to try 100 mg niacin, I've read that it can help cognitive function. Even when they don't know your name, they know when they are loved. Show them.”

Anonymous August 2, 2011

For Alzheimer's Disease: “My Mother took Aricept 5 mg. for one week. She has vivid dreams and can not tell if they are in fact dreams or real. Also very tired.”

annemdougb November 22, 2010

For Alzheimer's Disease: “I have been on this medication for 4 months now. I am 55 with early-onset Alzheimer's. I have noticed a significant improvement. I do not feel so much anymore as if I am walking around in a fog. I have not had any side-effects at all from this medication. I am hopeful that it will stave off a rapid progression of this disease.”

cjrowland September 13, 2010

For Alzheimer's Disease: “Two years ago my Mom used 5mg of Aricept for one month, she became almost a total zombie taking this medicine. Would not get out of bed, her mind was a lot worse than before she started taking it. A month ago she was put on 10mg of Aricept and after two doses was taken to the hospital, she was totally out of control and knew nothing of what was going on. It is not for everyone.”