User Reviews for Haldol to treat Psychosis

Haldol has an average rating of 7.3 out of 10 from a total of 14 ratings for the treatment of Psychosis. 71% of those users who reviewed Haldol reported a positive effect, while 21% reported a negative effect.

Haldol Rating Summary

7.3/10 average rating

Compare all 11 medications used in the treatment of Psychosis.

Reviews for Haldol

mikeyst22 April 22, 2021

“Worst drug by far. I ended in the Hospital, in 2016 with a dystonic reaction maybe its good for other people but not for me. Yes I have got Bipolar Disorder, just my opinion this drug should be off the market and fast”

Peter · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 16, 2019

“My side effects of Haldol = Restlessness and Anxiety. The need to move coupled with the desire not to. Muscle tension and tremors, combined with the ability to walk correctly. Heavy drooling at the mouth, nausea, and terrible constipation amounting to the inability to take a dump, and the inability the urinate without sitting down. In addition, the inability to ejaculate.”

jm3 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 9, 2017

“I've tried this drug, got side effects, like restless legs. Loss of overall happiness, it doesn't feel like it provide anything”

Anonymous June 24, 2013

“For years, my Dad had really bad anger issues. He continually kept my Mom in turmoil with his fits of rage to the point that one day she had a Stroke. It was horrendous. When both of them went to a Nursing Home, my Dad was evaluated and diagnosed as being psychotic. The Doctor prescribed Haldol for him and within 3 days, he was a brand new person. He was calm, he laughed, and he was such a joy to visit with. He remained this way until he passed away 5 years later. If he had been given this medicine years before, I feel my Mom would have lived another 20 years.”

Kazamyst July 5, 2011

“This is going to be kind of long and full of detail. I've been using Haldol for about 3 years now. It basically started when hearing voices got really bad. The combination of Geodon and Abilify DID NOT work. I admitted myself inpatient and got my Haldol. I started on 10mg. It took all the nasty symptoms away. And still does to this day. This is a one amazing medicine. I'm at the point with it now, that I can barely take 2.5 mg, (5mg cut in half) without feeling drugged up though. My body became very sensitive from it. You may gain some weight on this medicine. It does give you the munchies. However, I did weight watchers on this medicine and was able to take off some weight. Again, this medicine is down right amazing.”

Anonj26 · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 11, 2016

“This medication worked like a charm. There were no negative side effects and I lost about 15 pounds on it. It controlled all my symptoms perfectly, and really helped me with my anxiety, mild psychosis and depression. I have a PHD and really appreciate how much this drug has helped me during my schooling. I did not relapse after I went off this drug. It has been 4 years since I went off this medication and I am symptom free.”

Anonymous December 15, 2011

“My dad started to see things and think things were happening that were not, He was put on Haldol and it works, they were going to slowly take him off it and when we took his noontime pill away he got bad again almost right away. This medicine really has worked for him and allowed him to stay home with us.”

eric12345678 September 14, 2017

“I have been taking 50mg decanoate every 28 days, and 10mg/day oral for schizo-effective. This has been the most effective medicine I have ever used! (I have tried all the atypicals with no luck except olanzapine and lurasidone) I have been taking it for over 10 years now. Absolutely no side effects for me, not even weight gain. When I get the shot I usually take a nap in afternoon because it makes me sleepy. If I don't take haldol, I normally get very religious (but twisted type of religious) and tortured with psychosis and generally feel awful with bags under my eyes, acting weird, and not being able to sleep - usually landing me in the hospital. Haldol balances me almost exactly, and I am able to program computers and read and be happy.”

LCD7888 · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 16, 2015

“I've been on Haldol for 5 years. I have schizophrenia. This is the only drug that has worked over the period of having this illness. I don't feel I will ever be symptom free there's no magic pill, but since being on this I've been able to manage things much better than before. Really great. I don't like the possibility of the involuntary muscle disease (can't remember what it's called) but I will take that risk to have this benefit.”

brokenmind · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 5, 2015

“Ah, I have a mixed review of Haldol. I started it years ago for psychosis. I've been on many different antipsychotics and for me the older typical ones work better than the newer atypicals. For a while I was so sick I was on both Haldol and Thorazine. That combo really helped a lot. After years of 15 mg of Haldol a day I developed pseudoparkinsonism. I would shake, I had trouble walking, I couldn't write (couldn't form the letters with a pen), and I was drooling all the time. My doctor told me I wasn't allowed to drive for 6 months. Eventually it got to the point that my neurologist began to question the pseudoparkinsonism diagnosis -- she thought I was developing actual Parkinson's Disease. I think I'm done with Haldol.”

Anonymous September 13, 2015

“This was the worst experience I had in my life. I had hallucinations and my b/p was 206/126. It was given IM in the hospital and then at again at the treatment facility. I wrote a letter in my room in case they found me dead. I fought the nurse not to give me another one.”

Bipolar type Schizzoaffective · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 21, 2016

“Very very effective. Would recommend. Helpful medicine for psychosis and mania. Helps with delusions and paranoia and voices and all that comes with a psychotic episode. Only down side is a feeling of anxiety and having to move around and can't sit still for too long when on this med but it is a very effective medication.”

Anonymous April 2, 2010

“I have been taking Haldol for a long time and it has controlled my condition very well.”

only1chris8204 · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 23, 2015

“Best medicine I've been on to treat my psychosis without affecting my lipids! Experienced a little restlessness nothing major. Great overall experience!”