User Reviews for Haloperidol to treat Mania

Also known as: Haldol, Haldol Decanoate

Haloperidol has an average rating of 3.2 out of 10 from a total of 10 ratings for the treatment of Mania. 10% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 60% reported a negative effect.

Haloperidol Rating Summary

3.2/10 average rating

Compare all 14 medications used in the treatment of Mania.

Reviews for Haloperidol

Socialfilter · Taken for less than 1 month March 2, 2019

Haldol (haloperidol): “If you enjoy facial tics, muscle tremors, uncontrollable pacing, rocking back and forth, stuttering, insomnia, extreme restlessness, blackouts, memory lapses, sleeping 14-16 hours a day, and a complete loss of personality, identity, and all emotions then by all means try this med. Since the injection lasts a month you can look forward to 30 days of these symptoms. I often fantasize about injecting the doc, who gave me this horrible stuff, with a dose and then releasing him out in the world like he did to me.”

Bipolar 1 gal · Taken for less than 1 month November 3, 2019

“This haloperidol is the worst drug I have ever been given in my life. After the injection I was immediately not able to speak. My feet started tapping and kicking uncontrollably. 12 hours later I had extreme tightening of the jaw, the tightening went down my neck. I couldn’t swallow my spit and me trying to say my name and birthdate sounded like when a deaf person was trying to speak. Very rapidly my neck and spinal muscles contracted backwards, eyes were stuck rolled behind my head, completely locked up and painful, apparently this is a side effect called dystonia. I couldn’t get a word out. Thankfully a doctor gave me the antidote to cure this reaction (Benadryl!!!) and within a minute my body started to go back to normal, and I started sobbing happy tears. Scariest medication of my life. Please be careful with this one.”

Creepyteddybear · Taken for less than 1 month December 10, 2016

Haldol (haloperidol): “I was given one injection of this with Benadryl by a nurse whom by the doctor in charge was not granted permission to administer the medications. I was sleeping in the ER after four days was woken up by the nurse and told I was a nuisance to him and he and three other male orderlies in the ER told me they were sick of seeing me there. I told him I might have a seizure if it's a drug that wasn't my current medicine and he said he didn't care. Ten minutes or less I had a seizure and the hospital then released me, I found out they were ill equipped to deal with seizures in the specific ER. What a total waste of time! Haldol was horrible for me. Would never recommend!”

Kiera · Taken for less than 1 month June 2, 2019

Haldol (haloperidol): “I took this once 4 years ago, NEVER took it ever again because I had the worst side effects ever. I was on vacation at the time and I took it because of my manic episodes. I felt soooooooo sleepy yet so restless in my legs and extremely panicky. I had the worst panic attack in my life, screaming my head off at the uncomfortableness in my legs, squirming around like crazy in bed and pacing back and forth. Finally I took a bath and I realized my eyes were yellow! I almost fell to the floor but I made it to the bed and I slept from 7pm to 12pm the next day and even then I was still a zombie. Later that day the side effects wore off and I was able to enjoy my vacation again. Now I'm on a different medication. NEVER AGAIN will I take haldol because it messed me up”

Todd R · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 6, 2013

“In spite of what many people have said about this medicine I have found it very helpful in both treating and preventing episodes of mania. The risk of developing Tardive Dyskinesia is of course a concern but this medicine has been so useful for me. I have received it both by I.M injection and orally as the ten milligram tablets and both routes were well tolerated and effective.”

RollinRobert1 · Taken for less than 1 month January 22, 2014

“Caused muscle contraction in My neck. Very painful and frightening. Was given a shot of cogentin and it subsided. Caused drowsiness, constipation and marked sleepiness. Emotional flatness. It increased My depression.”

fish41 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 4, 2015

Haldol (haloperidol): “Parent to son with psychotic experiences diagnosed bipolar mania by one doctor and Schizo affective disorder by another. Been on a 3 year roller coaster nightmare. Refusal to take sulpiride and risperidone orally for any time resulted in having depot injections but our experience to date of the depot injections is more negative given the side affects. Like lost personality, tiredness, restlessness. Bouts of long sleeping followed by walking round and round the room. When standing rocking from foot to foot. Inability to engage in conversations. Sense of hopelessness ..We didn't really clue up on the drug and are concerned about the inability to come off/reduce them because a months worth has been injected then topped up.”

G · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 9, 2019

“It was great while I took it. Made me feel "normal". Took 5mg of this medication for 3 months and was pulled off of it cold turkey because I developed a jaw tic. Well, two weeks later I couldn't eat without throwing up. Went to the hospital and they did normal tests and said I was fine. Two days later I had obsessive swallowing, dysphagia, and dry mouth which lasted until now (1 1/2 weeks) went to urgent care and found out I went from 133 pounds to 116 in two weeks. Not to mention suicidal thoughts MUCH worse than before I ever started taking medication. Been drinking ensure and just started to be able to eat pureed food. DO NOT GO COLD TURKEY.”

blakecall August 18, 2008

Haldol (haloperidol): “This has tremendously helped me when I get manic in addition to my Bipolar drugs.”

AChrisA September 16, 2015

Haldol (haloperidol): “it made me have violent twitching and uncontrolled facial movements.... it made my mania Worse! Gonna get back on Thorazine. ..”

lifewater · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 2, 2018

“It made me more stable I got less angry and less excited- that is the point of it I think. I usually take 5-10 drops or at the most 20 drops a day, any more than that causes problems.”

Learn more about Mania