User Reviews for Haloperidol (Page 4)

Also known as: Haldol, Haldol Decanoate

Aggressive Behavior 1.0
Summary of Haloperidol reviews 4.6 111 reviews

Reviews for Haloperidol

Snowf14 August 14, 2016

Haldol (haloperidol) for Nausea/Vomiting: “I went to the er for stomach cramping and tenderness after a bought of stomach flu. For some reason they used this instead of Zofran or Phenergan first. I had horrible side effects. Every muscle in my body spasmed to the point of nearly dislocating my jaw. It took a full 36 hours to leave my system. Benadryl helped, but did not reverse the effects. I was disoriented and screaming in pain only a few seconds after receiving it. Use caution. The side effects were not worth it.”

CiCi2016 August 11, 2016

For Tourette's Syndrome: “Our daughter was on this when she was in elementary school, it was pretty bad. It made her so terribly tired she couldn't keep up in school. Terrible way for a child to live. Over the summer we were going on a vacation and she begged us to take her off it so she wouldn't be so tired so we had to gradually wean her off and then back on again when school started. Thank goodness the tic eventually went away after about a year or a year and a half or so...”

very upset daughter · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 8, 2016

For Nausea/Vomiting: “An ENT Doctor put my 79 year old mother on 1 mg of Haloperidol twice a day for 90 days. We di d not know she was taking it. She stopped going out to do normal errands, she was in bed a lot, she was losing weight, she had become a zombie, she has no appetite. She was put on it because she was burping a lot and had tried 3 other medications. She has had all kinds of tests to figure out why she was burping all the time but doctors have not been able to figure it out. This ENT Doctor is out of town but his associate told us this was probably too high of a dosage for an elderly and recommended he get us a new prescription for .25 mg twice a day, meaning she was taking 4 times the amount. We took her off it, I just hope I get my real mom back.”

Aria9682 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 6, 2016

For Dementia: “This medicine gave me the most horrifying, terrifying, side effects ever! I took it last summer and man the feeling is haunting! I was on a beach vacation and I took the medicine b4 heading back out to the pool, not knowing about the scary side effects. In 30 min, I became unusually sleepy and went back to the room and Man I couldn't sleep! My legs were SO restless it wasn't funny! I felt like I had to explode outta my damn body! My mum massaged me till I fell asleep. Terrible medicine ”

haldol July 5, 2016

For Psychosis: “I am doing good while on haldol, still a bit of anxiety, but I can cope it is way more controlled now. Not sure I will ever be not sick, I am taking 20 drops in the morning and 10 in the mid day, 5mg pill before night...My sleep is very good, no dreams....That is a huge step with controlling my PTSD....I feel good during the day and can function, only downside, Im a bit of a hermit do not really want to leave my house....In all I think a good drug for those who need it...”

Best husband May 11, 2016

For ICU Agitation: “My wife was given this medicine for pain in the hospital. The following day she had many side affects. Her face was disfigured and constant twitching of facial muscles and toungue. Luckily 48 hours later she was back to normal. I dont recommend this medication unless all safer meds have been considered. It scared us when these things started happening, we thought maybe she was having a stroke. We landed back at the doctors office to learn that it was caused by the meds.”

Anonj26 · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 11, 2016

Haldol (haloperidol) for Psychosis: “This medication worked like a charm. There were no negative side effects and I lost about 15 pounds on it. It controlled all my symptoms perfectly, and really helped me with my anxiety, mild psychosis and depression. I have a PHD and really appreciate how much this drug has helped me during my schooling. I did not relapse after I went off this drug. It has been 4 years since I went off this medication and I am symptom free.”

Bipolar type Schizzoaffective · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 21, 2016

Haldol (haloperidol) for Psychosis: “Very very effective. Would recommend. Helpful medicine for psychosis and mania. Helps with delusions and paranoia and voices and all that comes with a psychotic episode. Only down side is a feeling of anxiety and having to move around and can't sit still for too long when on this med but it is a very effective medication.”

ashcole · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 27, 2016

For Psychosis: “I was prescribed haldol when I went in patient for borderline personality disorder. Though haldol does help with my anger and agitation as well as suspiciousness and paranoia, it makes me so restless that I'm crying and would rather die than suffer like that. It makes me pace around constantly and I can't sleep because I HAVE to walk around and move my legs. I was also prescribed trileptal while I was there, which in conjunction with the haldol, makes me get such blurred vision that I'm walking into things and can't function. I stopped taking trileptal due to the side effects of taking it with the haldol and was put on lamictal which had no side effects. My outpatient psychiatrist has since taken me off the haldol due to the restlessness.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more November 22, 2015

For Psychosis: “Was on this med for about 30 years. This medication is supposed to only be a temporary fix for anger,paranoia etc.. I took it long term and have permanent damage to my brain and nervous system! It is and old drug first used 1958!! There are so many other options out there now. Don't get started on this drug. You will become dependent on it and will not be able to stop taking it. When I take it I get really paranoid and have anxiety attacks. I can't sit still and pace all day. The worse thing about it is my mom remembers me taking it when I was 16 and it used to work good for me. Now I am 51 and don't need it anymore. I smoked some weed when I was 16 that was laced with PCP. The doctor said the PCP get's in your brain and could take decades”

fish41 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 4, 2015

Haldol (haloperidol) for Mania: “Parent to son with psychotic experiences diagnosed bipolar mania by one doctor and Schizo affective disorder by another. Been on a 3 year roller coaster nightmare. Refusal to take sulpiride and risperidone orally for any time resulted in having depot injections but our experience to date of the depot injections is more negative given the side affects. Like lost personality, tiredness, restlessness. Bouts of long sleeping followed by walking round and round the room. When standing rocking from foot to foot. Inability to engage in conversations. Sense of hopelessness ..We didn't really clue up on the drug and are concerned about the inability to come off/reduce them because a months worth has been injected then topped up.”

AChrisA September 16, 2015

Haldol (haloperidol) for Mania: “it made me have violent twitching and uncontrolled facial movements.... it made my mania Worse! Gonna get back on Thorazine. ..”

LCD7888 · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 16, 2015

Haldol (haloperidol) for Psychosis: “I've been on Haldol for 5 years. I have schizophrenia. This is the only drug that has worked over the period of having this illness. I don't feel I will ever be symptom free there's no magic pill, but since being on this I've been able to manage things much better than before. Really great. I don't like the possibility of the involuntary muscle disease (can't remember what it's called) but I will take that risk to have this benefit.”

Anonymous September 13, 2015

Haldol (haloperidol) for Psychosis: “This was the worst experience I had in my life. I had hallucinations and my b/p was 206/126. It was given IM in the hospital and then at again at the treatment facility. I wrote a letter in my room in case they found me dead. I fought the nurse not to give me another one.”

brokenmind · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 5, 2015

Haldol (haloperidol) for Psychosis: “Ah, I have a mixed review of Haldol. I started it years ago for psychosis. I've been on many different antipsychotics and for me the older typical ones work better than the newer atypicals. For a while I was so sick I was on both Haldol and Thorazine. That combo really helped a lot. After years of 15 mg of Haldol a day I developed pseudoparkinsonism. I would shake, I had trouble walking, I couldn't write (couldn't form the letters with a pen), and I was drooling all the time. My doctor told me I wasn't allowed to drive for 6 months. Eventually it got to the point that my neurologist began to question the pseudoparkinsonism diagnosis -- she thought I was developing actual Parkinson's Disease. I think I'm done with Haldol.”

LisaDarling8789 · Taken for less than 1 month April 26, 2015

For Psychosis: “Weight gain but not as bad as seroquel and zyprexa. Just been on it for 10 days but I wouldn't want to prejudge this med just yet. If your doctor has prescribed this med then take it as he stated otherwise tell them it's not for you.”

Gorgeous345432 April 23, 2015

For Psychosis: “Except for a little weight gain, I feel less nervous yet I still experience delusional thoughts kind of OCD type. I am also only on 1mg which is very low, and I plan to ask the doctor to take me off the Zyprexa and increase my Haldol to at least 5mg daily.”

only1chris8204 · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 23, 2015

Haldol (haloperidol) for Psychosis: “Best medicine I've been on to treat my psychosis without affecting my lipids! Experienced a little restlessness nothing major. Great overall experience!”

Tye g f September 14, 2014

For Psychosis: “Out of all the neuroleptics I've been on, haloperidol helped my paranoia far better. I did not experience weight gain at all, but I take benztropine for muscle spasms, tremors in my hands and muscle stiffness- all of these are side effects from the haloperidol.”

RollinRobert1 · Taken for less than 1 month January 22, 2014

For Mania: “Caused muscle contraction in My neck. Very painful and frightening. Was given a shot of cogentin and it subsided. Caused drowsiness, constipation and marked sleepiness. Emotional flatness. It increased My depression.”

tics December 22, 2013

Haldol (haloperidol) for Tourette's Syndrome: “My son 13 was taking this and it made tics worse. Blurred vision, erection. His tongue would do weird thing.”

Anonymous June 24, 2013

Haldol (haloperidol) for Psychosis: “For years, my Dad had really bad anger issues. He continually kept my Mom in turmoil with his fits of rage to the point that one day she had a Stroke. It was horrendous. When both of them went to a Nursing Home, my Dad was evaluated and diagnosed as being psychotic. The Doctor prescribed Haldol for him and within 3 days, he was a brand new person. He was calm, he laughed, and he was such a joy to visit with. He remained this way until he passed away 5 years later. If he had been given this medicine years before, I feel my Mom would have lived another 20 years.”

Dirty Drew · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 15, 2013

For Psychosis: “Only medicine that controls my psychotic symptoms. Does cause some akasthesia. No other side effects noted. The atypical antipsychotics caused weight gain, rapid heart rate, and aggression. Glad I was prescribed an old school tried and true medicine.”

Todd R · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 6, 2013

For Mania: “In spite of what many people have said about this medicine I have found it very helpful in both treating and preventing episodes of mania. The risk of developing Tardive Dyskinesia is of course a concern but this medicine has been so useful for me. I have received it both by I.M injection and orally as the ten milligram tablets and both routes were well tolerated and effective.”

Stage4Diva · Taken for less than 1 month February 16, 2013

Haldol (haloperidol) for Nausea/Vomiting: “Experiencing horrible nausea/vomiting with Dilaudid for pain associated with Stage4 Breast cancer. My normal antinausea medication was Zofran, but it started to not work. I was given 0.5 mg I.V. of Haldol every hour for nausea. It worked, but did "knock me to nap" for a little while. After I woke up, I did feel groggy and was able to eat and drink without incident.”