User Reviews for Haloperidol to treat ICU Agitation

Also known as: Haldol, Haldol Decanoate

Haloperidol Rating Summary

2.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 10 medications used in the treatment of ICU Agitation.

Reviews for Haloperidol

Bob · Taken for less than 1 month April 11, 2020

Haldol (haloperidol): “My 17 year old son with severe autism was given Haldol during a pediatric ER visit. He is non-verbal and usually has severe anxiety in any healthcare setting. We took him to the ER because he appeared dehydrated after 24-36 hours of nausea, vomiting and behavioral symptoms that had become more severe. We informed the ER physician that he typically reacts the exact opposite to sedatives than should be expected and recommended one drug that has been effective in the past. A sedative was necessary in order to obtain a CT scan. The physician wanted to use Haldol because it has been effective with kids with autism and could also help my sons nausea. My son had no problem with the nurse setting up the IV which was not his norm. It did not take long after injecting this drug for him to go from calm, quiet and lethargic to needing 6-7 adults to subdue him and strap his wrists and ankles to his bed. What a joke!”

Sufferer · Taken for less than 1 month September 15, 2018

“When I was injected Haloperidol in hospital, it made me feel stupid at first, which was not that bad, but 15-16 hours later I had the most severe extrapyramidal symptoms. I had double visions and I could not move my eyes, and then I also had severe muscle spasms that hurt a lot. Haloperidol is literally more dangerous than most illegal drugs!”

TroubledMan · Taken for less than 1 month July 11, 2018

“While sleeping in a hospital I had a night terror and acted strange (but I was not psychotic) and the stupid hospital staff injected me with Haloperidol although Diazepam would've been enough to calm me. I fell asleep instantly and the next day for the first 12 hours I felt pleasantly dazed, almost like being drunk. Then I started having a strong urge to constantly look upwards (oculogyric crysis). I also had severe painful neck spasms and my eyes became crossed. I spent 4 hours standing on a bed and starring at the ceiling because I move my eyes. The doctors and nurses were very rude to me and told me I am fine and just imagining symptoms. Finally they injected me with Akineton and the spasms slowly went away, but it took a long time for my eyes to go back to normal. Probably the worst experience of my life!”

Best husband May 11, 2016

“My wife was given this medicine for pain in the hospital. The following day she had many side affects. Her face was disfigured and constant twitching of facial muscles and toungue. Luckily 48 hours later she was back to normal. I dont recommend this medication unless all safer meds have been considered. It scared us when these things started happening, we thought maybe she was having a stroke. We landed back at the doctors office to learn that it was caused by the meds.”

respinoza5573 June 4, 2011

Haldol (haloperidol): “Helps with anxiety and racing thoughts. Calms my mood down when angry and upset. Side effect is weight gain and being tired.”

Anonymous August 23, 2010

Haldol (haloperidol): “My father (now deceased) had a tendency to become agitated when confined to ICU for more than a couple of days. He was prescribed Haldol during one such stay. The medicine had a very negative effect; my father became aggressive. One morning I walked in to find that the staff had strapped his hands to the bed overnight! I complained (loudly) to another doctor and my father was taken off Haldol and moved to a private room. Almost immediately he became the sweet, even-tempered man that I always knew. I tried to keep my dad out of ICU after that. ”