User Reviews for Haloperidol to treat Tourette's Syndrome

Also known as: Haldol, Haldol Decanoate

Haloperidol has an average rating of 3.4 out of 10 from a total of 9 ratings for the treatment of Tourette's Syndrome. 22% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 67% reported a negative effect.

Haloperidol Rating Summary

3.4/10 average rating

Compare all 12 medications used in the treatment of Tourette's Syndrome.

Red Light January 12, 2011

Haldol (haloperidol): “The Haldol worked great for controlling my Tourette's, but it came with too many side effects so I had to switch. I gained ten pounds in the first week of use which tapered off after around three weeks, but the restlessness was unbearable. I was put on Cogentin for it but then my vision became blurry and could not see anything within eighteen inches. It was horrible.”

This Guy · Taken for 10 years or more July 8, 2018

“I was diagnosed with Tourette's back in 1988 when I was 12 and tried lots of meds but the haldol/haloperidal works really well for me. I've been taking it for 25 yrs or so and I've never had a single side effect that I am aware of. I take 1 mg 3 times per day and honestly, when I take it on time each and every day if you didn't know I had tourette's you'd never guess it. My dr does a liver panel every 6 months before I get refills to make sure it's not doing me harm. I am 42 yrs old now so who knows how it will effect me as I get older but as of now I have no intentions of getting off of it....My experience.”

Hayley012345 · Taken for 10 years or more May 2, 2018

“I was on haloperidol for 10+ years. It is NOT supposed to be a long term medicine. (But apparently my doctor at the time didn't care.) I switched doctors and they weaned me off of it. Although I still went through withdrawals because I became dependent on it. I also developed cervical dystonia because of haloperidol. (Cervical dystonia is a very painful condition where your neck muscles move involuntarily, causing your head to twist to one side. It can also cause your head to uncontrollably tilt forward/backward.) And now I have to get 10-12 shots in my neck every 3 months to help with the pain. So just be careful when prescribed this medication!”

CiCi2016 August 11, 2016

“Our daughter was on this when she was in elementary school, it was pretty bad. It made her so terribly tired she couldn't keep up in school. Terrible way for a child to live. Over the summer we were going on a vacation and she begged us to take her off it so she wouldn't be so tired so we had to gradually wean her off and then back on again when school started. Thank goodness the tic eventually went away after about a year or a year and a half or so...”

Hehimself · Taken for 10 years or more December 15, 2016

“Been on Haldol since 74, age 17. Side affects were mostly weight gain and dry mouth. Was at one point taking more than prescribed( on my own, no intent of ODing) which made my lethargic, certainly not up to my usual level. The increase didn't increase, nor decrease, my tics. Seems to have 0 effect. I'm still on Haldol currently( Dec'16) and naturally under Drs care. My physicians in my past, although newer meds are available, keep my on Haldol and montitored, if it's not broke, don't fix it. Honestly, since TS tics wax and wane, I'm not fully aware that the drug at current dosage is helping. I don't try to go without ever, because if tics get worse( my understanding is out of system in a matter of days), I'm just not willing to endure tics”

Star · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 27, 2021

“I was put on this when I was 12, and it was the most messed up time of my life. I had visual and audio hallucinations, I tried to remove my skin all the time because of the things I was seeing getting on me or running around under my skin. I couldn't read or write anymore, I cried anytime anyone talked to me, I completely quit talking to everyone unless I was freaking out and determined to scratch, scrub, or shred off my skin. I had severe reverse effects from it and was basically turned into a Schizophrenic the whole time I was taking it. I was finally taken off when I got to see a neurologist and was diagnosed with tourette's and found out I never should have been in it and my family doctor lied about the neurologist recommending it. Within two days of being taken off, I was back to normal and both my tics and attacks drastically reduced.”

tics December 22, 2013

Haldol (haloperidol): “My son 13 was taking this and it made tics worse. Blurred vision, erection. His tongue would do weird thing.”

CJ · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 29, 2018

Haldol (haloperidol): “I was on it for my Tourette’s and yeah it did work but I gained over 100lbs when I was on this medication so I took myself off it cause my doctors wouldn’t listen.”

Ttensas48 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 18, 2020

“Miserable! Extreme depression as side effect and claustrophobia! Didn't help tics at all.”