User Reviews for Librium

Librium has an average rating of 8.9 out of 10 from a total of 157 ratings on Drugs.com. 87% of those users who reviewed Librium reported a positive effect, while 6% reported a negative effect.

Alcohol Withdrawal
9.3
Anxiety
7.6
Light Sedation
Summary of Librium reviews 8.9 157 reviews

Reviews for Librium

Gtoman · Taken for less than 1 month February 23, 2021

For Alcohol Withdrawal: “The anxiety without librium . Horrific!”

Bill · Taken for less than 1 month October 11, 2020

For Anxiety: “Different medications affect people differently. For some, Librium helps with anxiety symptoms, and it's effective in helping many with detoxing. Personally, it made me feel jittery, confused, sick and I had a difficult time falling and staying asleep. Ativan worked better, but it's one of those benzos doctors don't like to hand out due to it's addictive nature and based on the patient's history. For many, Librium is probably the safer bet if there's a concern about becoming addicted, but for me it just made me feel bad and I need something stronger and quicker acting. Our body chemistries are not all the same in how it works, so don't be discouraged. It may work for you.”

ASDFG · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 22, 2020

For Anxiety: “I am grateful for this drug. I've had problems with addiction and Librium gives me no trouble. It doesn't make me feel like I have to keep taking more. I was first introduced to it when I quit drinking for alcohol withdrawal and then after for the management of my nerves. It takes the hard irritable edge off my anxiety but doesn't sedate me. I can even miss a day because it is so long acting. If you struggle with addiction or dependence and have bad nerves this is the safest there is. No, it doesn't make you feel like you just took 2 shots of whiskey like Xanax, but it does calm you down with panic attacks and helps with agitation.”

Barbi · Taken for less than 1 month October 16, 2019

For Alcohol Withdrawal: “I have drank my whole life since early high school. I am now 46, I wasn't drunk all the time but always loved to drink. My husband developed an addiction to opiates and I started drinking all the time to deal with my emotions. Large amounts of alcohol half gallon of vodka a day. I missed allot of work and lucky I never got fired. I would take a couple of shots in the morning just to go to work. I finally reached out to my doctor for help. He prescribed librium and I have been on it for 5 days it has helped so much with my tremors and withdrawal symptoms. I am now 5 days sober and hope I can do it forever.”

I got lucky August 11, 2019

For Alcohol Withdrawal: “I been drinking since I was 18, I'm 51. Been drinking vodka/wine almost daily for the past few years now. Had a recent binge over a long weekend and started experiencing severe uncontrollable total-body tremors/shakes the next day which required an ER visit. They put me on ativan and a saline drip (dehydration). Prescribed me Librium; 10mg 3 x a day. That was 5 days ago and I haven't wanted a drink since and don't think I ever will again because I actually thought I was going to die. Been a long time since I felt like this and I forgot how good it feels to be sober for more than a day and hoping to keep it that way.”

Moe · Taken for less than 1 month February 10, 2020

For Alcohol Withdrawal: “Was a daily alcohol drinker for 2 years straight. Tried to quit on my own but got horrible withdrawals...sweating, shaking, insomnia, crippling anxiety. Went to my dr and was prescribed Librium 10mg 3x a day for 10 days. I’m now on day 7 and I feel amazing! It can make me super tired at times but that beats having insomnia! My appetite is back to normal, I have no anxiety, my hands are still a little shaky but that’s ok! Librium saved my life!”

Lucky to be alive · Taken for less than 1 month December 22, 2019

For Alcohol Withdrawal: “I have been an alcoholic for years and for the last 8 very very heavy vodka drinker. I started an intensive outpatient program (IOP) and didn’t think that I would have alcohol withdrawals, I was so wrong! I started shaking, my BP spiked, felt sick, and all of the other stuff that comes from alcohol withdrawals. I frantically looked for a place to do medical detox but couldn’t find one under $1,000 a day (I don’t have health insurance). My therapist referred me to a Dr who does a Librium taper out patient. Within 1 hour of starting my taper all of my withdrawals were completely gone. After my taper was done and I had 7 days clean I decided to give myself the best chance medically possible and started on the Vivitrol monthly injections. That in combination with IOP, my therapist, and daily AA meetings my life has completely changed. I give Librium a 10/10 because it definitely got me thru my alcohol withdrawals! Gods luck to all of you on your journeys.”

nate007 · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 4, 2019

For Alcohol Withdrawal: “I'm 23 and I've been a heavy drinker since I was about 16 and when I quit drinking I experienced severe withdrawal symptoms. I was shaking, sweating, had a high heart rate, extreme confusion, unable to keep water or food down, and I had really bad insomnia to the point where I profusely sweat or shivered because I was too cold and did not sleep for 3 days. I started having a seizure at work and was taken to the ER. They gave me Librium. The Librium helped immensely. I was able to function normally, sleep an entire night, & it completely stopped the shaking and tremors and made me feel totally normal again. If you are reading this and you're experiencing withdrawal from alcohol, I highly recommend you go to the ER (even if you can't afford it - alcohol withdrawal can be fatal so don't tough it out.) and get treatment. It can save your life.”

Bottomline Drunk · Taken for less than 1 month February 16, 2014

For Alcohol Withdrawal: “Went to the hospital due to the horrible effects of alcohol withdrawal. Misery was the state I was in. Shaking hands and cold sweats were just part of the problem. I was given Librium. Anyway, I felt as if the gates of Hell was lifted off of me. I almost instantly felt better. I was given 2 capsules (50 mg) every 6 hours on Day One and on the fourth and last day, 25mg every 8 hours. This medication was a life saver for me. It took all the miserable effects of alcohol withdrawal away as far as I'm concerned. I highly recommend this medicine for alcohol detox. The alternative is hours upon hours of Hell. You don't have to go through that. Take my word for it.”

Crazyalcoholic January 6, 2020

For Alcohol Withdrawal: “I went from being a daily drinker to a binge-drinker. Not really sure how it happened, but it did. I already have anxiety and panic. Have for years. I drank to drown everything out. I had broken my foot almost two years ago; it didn’t heal and I was diagnosed with a rare autoimmune disease. I had way too much time on my hands, so I drank... A LOT. I did an in-house detox years ago. Then, in did an in-home one, with several in between. Like, too many to count. Don’t try to detox without this drug. It can become dangerous very quickly. As I’m writing this, I’m currently detoxing... again. Each time is worse and scarier than the previous one. Librium will get you through it, but you’ll need a higher dose each time. ”

Armagh, NI February 12, 2014

For Alcohol Withdrawal: “Had been drinking in excess of of 15-20 cans of beer a day, for as long as can remember, no appetite, losing weight and throwing up every morning. Went through DT's last year - horrendous - sweats, shakes, hallucinations, had Librium, but too little too late and fell off the wagon very quickly. Finally had enough and went to see my doctor with the support of my wife, have been on a reducing dose of Libruim for a week now and never felt better, eating well, sleeping well, not throwing up every day and feeling more positive than I have for a long time. Drinking flavoured water and feeling good, I am going to concentrate on getting fit. Thanks to family, friends and GP for help and support.”

MrNeil March 24, 2013

For Alcohol Withdrawal: “Been heavy drinker for nearly 30 years. On my 7th day of home detox using Librium. It works, is all I can say. Also take acamprosate 3 times daily to hep with cravings, they both work wonders. My skin is looking healthy, I feel healthier and am looking forward for the first time in years. I'm only 44, want to start enjoying life, seeing my kids/grandchildren grow up. Don't give up on yourself is my only message. ”

DaveyButtons · Taken for less than 1 month October 5, 2013

For Alcohol Withdrawal: “Its essential! As a doctor I know, You cannot withdraw from alcohol safely without it. It can and should be prescribed for use in domestic detox (UK regulations). A colleague prescribed this for me when I my symptoms worsened an I went home and spent four days thinking about my life. This medicine will save lives during detox, but you have to make it on your own from there. Plan your detox! Buy the right fresh food and vegetables. Take Vitamin B supplements to protect the brain. Tell the people you love about your problem, get them involved, stay away from other alcohol users and alcohol. One day at a time! I wrote in my bed room ceiling as many reasons to not drink as I could think of and that is still the first thing I see when I wake up.”

rdawg · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 30, 2014

For Alcohol Withdrawal: “Librium is the best thing out there. I've drank my entire life. Never tried anything else to wean off of alcohol but Librium. It does make you tired. But who gives a turkey. It sure beats coming off of alcohol with nothing and going through hell.”

Beer can bob January 6, 2014

For Alcohol Withdrawal: “Heavy drinker for 15 years decided to just stop on my own. Big mistake. All was well until day 3 on Xmas eve. I was rushed to hospital. Sky rocketed blood pressure rapid heart beat shaking at. 1:00 in the morning. Was given Librium and within the hour was feeling better along with an IV. They let me go home in the morning and gave me a prescription of 25 mg. Four 25 mg pills on day one, three on day 2, two on day 3 and one on day 4. Made me a little tired but not a withdrawal symptom to speak of. In AA now and doing well on week 3. Medication was excellent. Go to a Dr if your looking to stop drinking do not try it cold Turkey. There is really no need to.”

Vodka No More! June 25, 2016

For Alcohol Withdrawal: “I have been a heavy drinker for many year, substituting Vodka for lunch and dinner. After I found I could barely write due to shakiness, I went to my doctor. He prescribed Naltrexone, Camprial, and Librium. It has worked wonders! So far, no urge to drink, no side effects, and sleeping better than I have in years. (I must admit that I am somewhat tired, but so what!) The fog is slowly beginning to lift and I am feeling joy once again. If I can do it, anyone can! This is a life saver.”

Someonewhoisntme November 20, 2019

For Alcohol Withdrawal: “Second time using Librium to help with my drinking problem. First time I was drinking half-3/5 of a fifth a day I took it like clockwork. Woke up specifically to take it. No issues at all. Second time I went into the ER (I have a heart condition...yes I know I’m an idiot for drinking with a heart condition). Told the doctor how much I was drinking and he gave me a very polite yet stern talking to and sent me home. I decided to wait and see how I felt. The next day I woke up and was shaking and sweating and had horrific nightmares. Took a Librium and within an hour I was eating and feeling much better. The only thing I notice is MILD shakes, some drowsiness, and some anxiety. But a thousand times better than how I was feeling. Now I’m gonna take it like clockwork until I know I’m safe.”

Silly Suziwong!!!! · Taken for less than 1 month June 6, 2013

For Alcohol Withdrawal: “I've been a heavy drinker for all my adult life, and a mother of 3. Ended up extremely depressed as just could not stop. Ended up in hospital as took overdose as just couldn't cope with the addiction anymore. 20 years of it. Glad I did it though as now am getting the help I so need. Started on Librium 4 days ago, and have a nurse visit me at home daily. It is working wonders for me. Still dry heave and slightly shake and sweat, the second night was awful as had awful dreams and was seeing stuff, but WOW now what a huge difference. Recommend it highly, its helping me and my family so so much. Just hope myself and all of the above keep up the good work! Good luck to you all.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month September 10, 2019

For Alcohol Withdrawal: “This has helped I had a severely bad seizure taken to A& E It saved me being honest with myself number one & the medical staff I’m taking under supervision & now down to one before bed Librium has really helped me with the alcohol withdrawal I pray every night I will survive this awful disease”

dugluvstocook · Taken for less than 1 month March 23, 2016

For Alcohol Withdrawal: “I have had many detoxes, sadly enough. Librium definitely takes the edge off of alcohol withdraw. I have 62 days today and something that helps keep me going is remembering what I went through my last time I needed a librium taper. I hope maybe thinking about how sick I was helps preventing me from drinking. Maybe this will help someone.”

Daddy Beave · Taken for less than 1 month August 7, 2016

For Alcohol Withdrawal: “I was drinking the 720 ml every 24 hrs., of Captain Morgan rum, that's the largest bottle they sell. I was spending over $750 a month. I was given LIBRIUM take 3 times a day. The first day I still went through the some light withdrawals mainly the shakes. Usually the withdraws where shakes, bad difficulty breathing, throwing up, light headed, feet and hands going number, blood pressure sky rocketing, and super bad head aches. That first day was just shakes, I had already even lost the impulse to go and buy some. Day 2 I only took 2. Day 3 I only had to take 1. I took 1 every 24 hrs the next 4 days and no longer needed them. It was very effective for me. Anyone who wants to quit that's a good way to go. Be responsible though.”

Crissy December 14, 2019

For Alcohol Withdrawal: “Going on day 3 of using 5mg librium 3 x day to help with alcohol issues. I had been in the ER, with moderate withdrawal symptoms. This was the first time that my neurons started to fire once the alcohol level was down. It was like vertigo times 10. Ativan in the ER...then sent home with a script for Librium. It has been working very well. Just hoping I don't become dependent.”

Drink a beer · Taken for less than 1 month August 25, 2014

For Alcohol Withdrawal: “This medicine is/was a lifesaver. I was continuously drinking. My alcohol of choice was always beer, however, I often mixed Vodka into the mix. My heavy drink was for years, at least 10-12. The further I got down the road the more I had to drink everyday. To the point where I at times had to drink a beer to get back to sleep because I knew my blood pressure was out of hand from withdrawal. After the prescription to Librium the effects were immediate. Withdrawal is now far behind me. On to a sober life.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month November 3, 2014

For Alcohol Withdrawal: “I have been an alcholic for the better part of 25 years, was in detox five times during that period and finally seemed to get the abuse out of my life after an intense 28 day program. A week ago I discovered my girlfriend was messaging another man she used to date, it was a trigger I just could not handle and started drinking again, within a day I was back to where I left off eight mnths ago. I couldn't do detox again because of work so I went to see my doctor who prescribed Chlordiazepoxide, the effects were felt within the hour, shakes were completly gone. I continued to take the medication for four days and I have been great since. Highly recommend.”

Dover89 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 20, 2018

For Alcohol Withdrawal: “I'm a 28 year old male who fell in love with alcohol at around 17, drinking with friends having fun. I noticed I had a problem when I found myself drinking alone everyday daydreaming about how great life was going to be when I quit drinking; (and how easy it would be). Boy was I wrong. Drinking anything I could get my hands on, the cheap high percentage stuff, beer runs, vanilla extract etc.. Not eating cause the fear of losing the buzz or easier to catch one. Then I started having seizures (about 10) when I'd stop. Straight frightening. I'd claim to have "epilepsy" denying it was the booze. I've been to countless detoxes and rehabs but never took quitting serious. This time around my doc prescribed me librium 10mg and it's good I suppose. No seizures. Day 12 without a drop. I pray for everyone going through all the symptoms of withdrawing. It's no joke.”

Eddietexd February 15, 2016

For Alcohol Withdrawal: “About a year ago I did a 30 day in house rehab for Alcohol. Worked great sober for 6 month. Then slowly began to relapse. 1 year later back to a fifth of Vodka a day last three months. If I didn't have a drink upon waking I would dry heave , shake , sweat. Snuck vodka at work in a water bottle sipped all. I began losing bowel and bladder control. That's when I got scared. Couldn't afford in house detox so got a script for Librium. 100mg 4x day 1 which was pretty rough. No dry heaving though which was a relief. Still pretty shaky. Day 2 , 25 every 4 hrs. Shakes were much better appitite returning. Day 3 25 twice daily morning and bed time. Feel remarkable. No desire to drink. Eating healthy and feel myself getting stronger. Librium saved my life”

BetterthanthisI · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 26, 2016

For Alcohol Withdrawal: “I have had a drinking problem for many years now. I knew it was really bad when the next morning I would feel shaky, heart pounding, feeling like I would die. My Doctor gave me a prescription to take Librium for 4 days I think. Well, it worked, but stupid me would go right back to the bottle, then take more Librium for a couple days. This cycle lasted for about 3 years. I am finally ready to admit, I have drinking problem, and will only say, we all need AA to keep from relapsing. I want a better life than this, and am thankful for mine! Librium has been saving my life now for 3 years. Now I want to quit drinking all together, and quit Librium finally! We are strong and can do it!”

Bob_FL · Taken for 10 years or more May 10, 2019

For Anxiety: “Librium is different from other benzo's - it has a much longer half-life as opposed to its successor meds (Valium, Xanex, etc.). It's an oldie but goody. Have been on it almost 20 years and it does not lose its effectiveness. Also, it's synergistic with most antidepressants and has very few side effects (for me). Mylan makes a good generic. Most Dr.'s don't prescribe it because they think newer is better - not necessarily so.”