User Reviews for Oxazepam

Oxazepam has an average rating of 8.2 out of 10 from a total of 72 ratings on Drugs.com. 75% of those users who reviewed Oxazepam reported a positive effect, while 7% reported a negative effect.

Anxiety   8.6
Alcohol Withdrawal   8.3
Insomnia  Off-label 6.6
Summary of Oxazepam reviews 8.2 72 reviews

Reviews for Oxazepam

TIP March 1, 2021

For Alcohol Withdrawal: “Received it in jail as I had to withdrawal from alcohol. I drank 12-15 pack cans for 2 years, booted about 2 g a day of meth anxiety ALWAYS and thus REALLY helped in jail and AFTER jail. Highly recommend”

Anonymous February 12, 2021

For Alcohol Withdrawal: “I have used to help get off alcohol. No benefit of oxazepam”

Teliosame January 19, 2021

For Anxiety: “Diagnosed with a rare chronic disease, which simply worsened my anxiety symptoms as the thought that I can die at any moment (though statistics say otherwise) has taken over my mind and I cannot function at times during the day. I was prescribed sertraline and oxazepam for as long as it took for the main drug to kick-in. Been on this combo for just over a month. Supposedly the sertraline would work for the anxiety, so far I have not seen any meaningful improvement from it, so I still rely to the oxazepam, usually 10mg in the morning, adding another 10mg in the afternoon, if needed. Takes 30-45 mins to kick in and gives you an average of 6-7hrs of clear mind, ability to concentrate and a normal attitude (i.e. anxiety not detectable). Fully aware of the fact that I have to get off it at some point but the sertraline has done nothing for me in the last 5 weeks, so far oxazepam is the only thing keeping me standing with some dignity. No side-effects really.”

John · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 4, 2020

For Alcohol Withdrawal: “I've been on high dose of opioid for the last 3 years generally 4 x OxyContin 80mg daily plus liquid hyrodmorphone, so got on oxazepam for High dose opiate withdrawal. I've since attempted to cease and the restless legs at night are unbearable I cannot sleep for more than one hour if I'm lucky. This has been going on for 2 weeks and I'm exhausted. I tried clonidine with my dr, I tried pregabalin, gabapentin, pramipexole, rotigotine, but no resolution. Oxazepam helps very minimally when taking it every 4 hours but alprazolam for me tends to work more effectively to stop the restless at night to finally relax those restless legs. Nothing will stop them bar more opioids or alprazolam. Oxazepam made me feel slightly drowsy but no real benefit for me unfortunately.”

Beetle · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 2, 2020

For Insomnia: “I take oxazepam 30 mg at 10.00 pm and go to bed at 11.00. I immediately fall asleep and sleep perfectly till 7 am. I do this every three days to avoid dependence. Unfortunately the night after taking Serax I have great difficulty getting to sleep. One good sleep every three days is OK for me.”

Gypsy May 27, 2020

For Insomnia: “I had chronic & acute migraine attacks for 30 years 3-4 per week & used a variety of analgesics. Consequently my sleep was all over the place. Dr put me on one Oxazepam at night 10 years ago to help me sleep. I was unaware of problems with benzos until recently when I looked them up due lots of nasty & weird physical issues which surfaced when analgesics stopped 5 months ago. My fault I didn't know of benzo side effects - the patient needs to check out thoroughly any drug you're prescribed & I didn't. Finally I found that my worst migraine trigger is yeast, so gave that up & hardly any migraines now so no analgesics at all. I am starting slow dry micro taper of benzo now as I am sure with some non drug strategies I can get my sleep pattern back. I'll be happy to get my health back too once I can get off the benzo.”

Teri · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 16, 2020

For Anxiety: “Hi, I use Oxazepam only to help me falling asleep and it does work for me. I tend to take half of a 10mg tablet ( I only took few times in my life the whole 10mg tablet as it has too strong effects on me) in the night or early morning after I wake up. So I try to train myself to fall asleep on my own initially in the evening without the drug. But I have big problems to fall asleep again (Meaning if I wake up between 2-6am). When I take it after waking up, just 5mg, I tend to fall asleep within an hour again. I used to take it only twice a week or so, but am doing and experiment in taking it daily (during the night) for about a week now. I feel good, as waking up rested, though a bit drowsy. I think that any drug works for me in small quantities. Even the 10mg would be too much. And I can't believe that there can be even stronger dosages than 10mg. I would be so drowsy if I took that. I need to catch up on sleep before I want to withdraw from taking it.”

kefeasy · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 4, 2020

For Anxiety: “Was prescribed Oxazepam for mild anxiety which became worse the more I took the drug, but I was totally unaware it was the drug actually making the problems worse, I have just started to try and slowly come off the drug after 6 months and the withdrawals are horrendous! Be so very carefully people. Much love”

liv · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 11, 2020

For Anxiety: “I was given oxazepam to help with panic attacks. Before Istarted on this drug, I was having at least one panic attack every day, and I would get them every day before work. They also help with my racing thoughts too, which is incredible. This drug slows my thoughts down which allows me to think clearer and more rationally. This drug works a little too well. No unwanted side effects as of yet.”

Bambi · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 9, 2020

For Insomnia: “I drink this medicine at 8 at night but don't always feel that it makes me sleepy before bedtime. Do I take it too early must I take it later? I'm on 30 mg.”

Bluto · Taken for less than 1 month December 6, 2019

For Insomnia: “My psychiatrist put me on this medicine oxazepam for insomnia. It doesn’t seem to have any sedative effect at all.”

SeanJ · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 28, 2019

For Anxiety: “I have severe depression and anxiety and tried every benzo. Oxazapam just works for me, it has a slow onset which allows you to relax. This medication also does wonders for me when I'm at work and feeling stressed! One before work and at lunchtime allows me a clear head and gives me a sense of confidence, like my anxiety is all of a sudden gone in an instant!”

Chris. · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 6, 2019

For Anxiety: “I have been taking this medication oxazepam for the last month and a half. My dosage is a half of a 15mg tablet 3 times a day. I find it has had some unwanted side effects, like muscle twitching, confusion, dizziness (feeling like I'm on a boat even when I'm sitting or lying down) jumbled speech, memory loss, and I seem to wake up and can't get back to sleep!. My honest advice would be to use this medication cautiously!!.”

anon · Taken for less than 1 month October 25, 2019

For Alcohol Withdrawal: “I wrote a comment and forgot to rate 10/10. I don't think anyone else here has commented on its use (under medical guidance) for ACUTE opiate withdrawal from long term opiate replacement therapy drugs such as methadone/suboxone I'd already gotten my life back together due to the opiate replacement (methadone) but I just outgrew the methadone, as it was holding me back from further life successes. This drug made the last week of my titration (dropped 50mg in 5 weeks, of methadone) bearable. If you know methadone, you know dropping 50mg in 5 weeks is basically hell, but I was happy throughout 'cause I'd addressed the underlying issues of my addiction, thus I was ready. I used Serax for one week, on a specific taper, to alleviate the worst symptoms and debilitating anxiety rapid opiate withdrawal causes. It worked. Listen to your doctors and don't play with your dosing. I mean, misusing prescribed Oxy is how I'd got my heroin habit in the first place.”

Better sleeper · Taken for 10 years or more September 10, 2019

For Insomnia: “I use it for the past 20 years. I take half or a bit more of a 5 mg tablet every night before bed time. It helps to sleep longer hours.”

Sarah August 31, 2019

For Anxiety: “Due to suffering fairly crippling anxiety about 12 months ago, I was prescribed oxazepam by an excellent doctor which has definitely assisted me returning to normal life. Initially the dosage of oxazepam was 30mg to take as needed on the basis of not to take more than 3 times a week, then reduced to 15mg and now finally I can manage to have my anxiety dissipate on 1/4 tablet ie 4mg and would only take 1-2 times a week. For me it's been a life saver knowing that I can take this as needed to function when I am about to face a stressful situation. It also has been helpful to keep the medication within reach during the day and then see if I can manage without to help manage the anxiety over the long term as well as using other relaxation techniques as recommended by my psychologist. No side effects noticed, no drowsiness on the lower dosages, it actually gives me clarity of thought as I'm relaxed.”

Grasshopper June 16, 2019

For Anxiety: “I was in several inpatient mental health wards over the past 8 years, both public and private, initially they diagnosed me with schizophrenia and depression (then later anxiety). I think there aren't many benzodiazepines I have not tried. During inpatient treatment I was given highish doses of Lorazepam which was somewhat difficult to cease, Lorazepam more so than Xanax! Following this I was prescribed Diazepam for years as an outpatient, I abused it, but with little consequence! stopped taking it abruptly and no withdrawals. Then my Psychiatrist prescribed me Oxazepam, and well it is difficult/pointless to abuse for me personally, but excellent for managing anxiety symptoms without much sedation or amnesia. I currently take 30mg mane daily and rarely 15mg extra nocte. This magic pill (Alepam/Serapax) has also reduced my desire for other drugs of abuse both medical and illicit, Thank you Lord for oxazepam!”

Eddie14 March 15, 2019

For Anxiety: “Oxazepam turned me back to myself, without feeling high. However, after 8 hours, I begin to torture myself by thinking negatively about the negative comments in here and I got so scared. My anxiety without this pill is almost constant. I struggle with the notion of being on a drug and feeling better but being addicted and needing more. I am 61 years old. The anxiety has turned me from a powerfully confident guy to the Cowardly Lion. My family sees the suffering and says: just take the pill. They respect my trying to be strong: but: the anxiety really takes over. So, I will try to approach it positively. My doctor says: why would you want to get off it? Just stay on it forever because nothing else has worked and you are suffering miserably. I see her point. Why would any of us take this: with a goal of stopping it? Just let it do it’s work. Be thankful. Enjoy the freedom from the anxiety. I am talking myself into this. Does anyone see what I mean?”

BipolarBabe February 4, 2019

For Anxiety: “WONDERFUL prevention of panic attacks. However, SERIOUS memory loss!! My adult daughter says I always seem "out of it" or confused. The med is doing what I need it for...preventing panic attacks. Therefore, overall its great, except for memory loss.”

Hiya · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 2, 2019

For Anxiety: “Absolutely worse when you hit tolerance after 4 years! As with all benzos not worth it. I see all the good reviews and think I feel sorry for these people when they don't address the underlying issues and pop a pill that is ohhh so fantastic until one day bang! It just won't work. I was prescribed these and never abused them. At my worst I was taking a massive dose just for 4 hrs sleep. Please think twice or do research. Unfortunately not much comes up about oxazepam but the withdrawals are like any other benzo and hell.”

hoot · Taken for less than 1 month January 13, 2019

For Anxiety: “I have had a cancer diagnosis which caused insomnia and stress. This has calmed me down but I'm having to take more and more. Is that bad? I just want to feel free from this cancer feeling.”

Mentalillnesssses · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 4, 2018

For Insomnia: “I take this medication for sleeping and anxiety It has helped me get to sleep but I cannot stay asleep? Help?”

Judy · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 21, 2018

For Anxiety: “I am now 65 years old and at the age of 16 I was prescribed valium for anxiety. My doctor continued to increase the dosage and eventually put me on serepax (Oxazepam). I was addicted to both of these medications and it took me at least 10 years to come off these suffering huge withdrawals. When my daughter died in 2006 in a fire I was offered tranquilises which I refused knowing my addiction to them. I was later refused any compensation by the Melbourne Medical Board because I refused any medical help in the form of antidepressants, be very careful don't take any of these drugs because they might seem great at the time but you will pay for it in the long run.”

sirius1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 5, 2018

For Alcohol Withdrawal: “I first took this drug to help me quit drinking and it was very efficient. Try not to take it for too long, to be able to stop it easily .”

sirius1 · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 5, 2018

For Insomnia: “Poor english, sorry : It's a good medicine for sleeping but not the best one. Temazepam is better. Oxazepam will slow down the thinking when you try to fall asleep. Oxazepam is helpful for those who have developed a tolerance to benzos. It's less addictive than Ativan ( lorazepam). I take 20 mg every evening at 10 pm. When it will stop working it will be the end of the benzos .”