User Reviews for Oxazepam

Also known as: Serax

Learn more about Oxazepam.

Anxiety 29 reviews 63 medications

9.1
Alcohol Withdrawal 3 reviews 19 medications

8.7
Insomnia 4 reviews 109 medications

7.8
Summary of Oxazepam reviews 36 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Oxazepam

For Anxiety: "I have have drug related issues for ~15 years. Dope, Speed. My, "Psychiatrist" diagnosed me with the word "schizophrenia", Anti-Phychotics are, VERY DANGEROUS!, they increased my anxiety and stress, MANY MANY, times over. Finally, after 15 years, 3 months, no drugs, I have found Oxazepam. 5mg. I read, you can take up too 120mg!. atm, I think I need about 10mg a day. I am doubting, whether I have "schizophrenia", at all. I am down to 1/2 minimum dose, tablet of, DANGEROUS Latuda. So called "treatment", with Anti-Phychotics, is CRIMINAL."

anonymous1234a5678b7890 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 4, 2016

For Insomnia: "First time I had these last night and wow hard hitting I was told to take 1-2 15mg so I took 2 and it knocked me for 6 don't remember falling asleep just the fantastic feeling of waking up after 10 hours......this is the first uninterupted sleep in 20 years so good so far I'm also on valium for anti panic attacks and dothep for Depression lithium for bi-polar fingers crossed it keeps working like this!!!!"

Phatzip May 14, 2016

For Anxiety: "had suffered bipiolar for at least the last 28 years until I desgovered lithum it saved me. I no longer have mood swings, or spending money I dont have and then crying for nothing. I read alot of books until I discovered that i had bi piolar"

stoma gone wrong April 9, 2016

For Anxiety: "I have been on Oxazepam for 15 yrs. Diagnosed with Anxiety and PTSD. - In the beginning it really worked well. Now that I am in my 60's I want to come off of it. My quality of life is not the same. I take only 10mgs per day. I have tapered off. to one a day. I have gained about 40lbs. - I was very productive and a responsible person at one time in my life and that's when it helped. but now I am just lifeless. Taking this medication for long periods of time is not good. And to come off of it well lets just say, almost impossible. for me anyway. I would say talk to your doctor about another anti-anxiety medication that is not so addictive. Its horrible to be codependant on a drug of this nature."

Gypsey November 25, 2015

Serax (oxazepam) for Anxiety: "I would not use this medicine for more than a year. While it was effective - the side effects - began to be more problematic than the medication was worth. Wish I would have stopped it much sooner than I did and one must wean off - not go off cold turkey. My doctor apparently did not know this."

susie s August 2, 2015

For Anxiety: "I'm 23 years old, I've been on Oxazepam for about a year or so now. I honestly can't praise this medication higher. I suffer from agoraphobia, and have been, ever since I can remember. It was always dismissed as being shy. But in high school, it hit me hardest. First mild anxiety.. Which grew over the years. But started getting regular panic attacks while outside, hits hard in an instant the moment there are too many people near me. But since taking this drug, about half an hour before I need to leave my house, I've noticed that my crippling fear fades away, and leaves me feeling.. Well.. Not exactly happy.. But, content. Which is the closest I've been to normal ... Well.. Ever, really. Which has brought me security against my anxieties."

Nadrai June 10, 2015

For Anxiety: "Following a massive heart attack in 2013 I was prescribed this med while in hospital to relax and to help with my insomnia. They are fabulous, the only thing I have noticed shortly after using my memory is not so sharp and constantly looking for words. Despite this I plan on continuing to use them as this medicine helps me greatly in a quality of life. Suffered for 15 years of non sleep, which highly contributed in my massive heart attack at a young age of 56 with no previous symptoms nor family background. Issue my docs do not want to prescribe this med and this worries me a great deal. They are essential to me living a productive life!"

Goldie Shai March 2, 2015

For Insomnia: "I find it hard to sleep all of the time. I'll fall asleep got 1 hr then I cannot get back to sleep. 1 tablet at night and miracle I can sleep again. This medication also helps control my anxiety problems. I'm not a tablet taker but I could not sleep so I had to hold my head high and admit I needed help."

ricebubbles (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 1, 2014

For Anxiety: "I have taken Oxazepam 10 mg, since the early 90's for Anxiety. It allows me to live my life without any side effects, calms me down, keeps my throat muscles from tightening, when confronted with, or involved in situations where anxiety attacks would increase. It allows me to live my life, without any side effects, and without having to increase the dosages, throughout the day. I have taken the same dosage for years, without having to increase the MG. I have also been able to - decrease - the amount needed during the day. All I can say, is Thank God for this medication. I have taken it to also help me sleep.I have worked and driven my car, without any problems. I wish they would make 5mg's like they use to, because at night, this is a plus."

winterspirit November 10, 2014

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I suffered for several years during menopause with severe night sweating and all day every day at work feeling like and looking like I was bursting into flames. No amount of hormone replacement medicines made a difference. Finally I was prescribed this medication and my life was changed like a miracle as the first time I took it I actually slept soundly through the night making my days so much better. Only 10 mg at bedtime works for me and I don't even have to take it every day. I have no side effects whatsoever and wake refreshed whenever I use it."

Solola July 31, 2014

Serax (oxazepam) for Anxiety: "Effective when having a particularly bad day on antidepressants but less effective when not on antidepressants. Find anxiety symptoms aren't overly settled in comparison to Lorazepam unless you take a couple. Plus they take 45 mins minimum to kick in and during an attack, isn't helpful. When not taking antidepressants, got up to 45mg on very bad days but was down to 1-2 tabs a month on antidepressants."

Soundchain (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 17, 2014

Serax (oxazepam) for Anxiety: "In the hospital, I was having major panic attacks. I was given Serax for bedtime. It was the only time I slept in the hospital."

Maiseydotes January 2, 2014

For Anxiety: "I have been on 15 mg of oxazepam for 6 years for Tremors and it has helped me greatly. Couldn't write my name if I didn't take it. No side effects."

Luulu (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 10, 2013

For Anxiety: "I started taking oxazepam 15 mg at bedtime as needed for anxiety in December. It has really helped me and I have not experienced any side effects at all. It calms you down, you're able to function daily, and also get a good nights sleep."

mmusick62 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 18, 2013

Serax (oxazepam) for Anxiety: "Just started taking Serax for my anxiety. I found it to make the anxiety go away!"

kaylapaulie June 26, 2013

For Insomnia: "I have Tourette syndrome and get insomnia because of it (constant thoughts etc). I used to take Temazepam for 10 years but it was no longer working. I have now been on Oxazepam for about a 2 years and its remarkable. It helps me sleep no matter what I have been doing. 10mg is plenty for me, and if I have been drinking coffee, I take 20mg, have a shower then fall asleep within a minute of my head hitting the pillow. Super great for anxiety too. "

DaveAustralia1978 June 21, 2013

Serax (oxazepam) for Anxiety: "I have been taking Serax/oxazepam for 30 years for anxiety/panic attacks, works great! I started out on 10mg then after a few years was switched to 15mg. The past year or so I have been having trouble sleeping so the Dr. put me on 30mg to take only at night before bed which I do and it works great for sleep. So, I take the 15mg when I need them for anxiety and the 30mg only at night."

Edward zxx (taken for 10 years or more) March 7, 2013

111 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety: "Started having anxiety and depression symptoms years back after going to countless drs. and trying every pill there is. A psychiatrist put me on Oxazepam 10 two times daily as needed. Hands down the best pill for me and my problem."

lost boy January 6, 2013

For Anxiety: "My doctor prescribed oxazepam for me for chronic insomnia back in the 1970s. He said it was less addictive than prescribing a sleeping pill for me. I take one 15mg capsule about an hour before bedtime. Most of the time, that is sufficient but occasionally, if I've still been unable to get to sleep within a couple of hours, my prescription calls for a second 15 mg capsule. That definitely does the job. I wake up the next morning with no hangover effect. This medication has been effective and a lifesaver for me. Now, however, I'm going on Medicare and none of the drug plans includes oxazepam so I'm reluctantly going to ask my doctor to prescribe something similar which is in a plan and hope that it works as well."

B.A. (taken for 10 years or more) October 2, 2012

For Insomnia: "I was prescribed this medicine for sleep-maintenance insomnia. When I first started taking it, I found that 15mg wasn't enough since I had bad anxiety related to the stress of not being able to sleep and I still woke up for long periods. I took 30 mg, which was effective but I felt dopey during the day and had a headache for a few hours when I woke up. After taking it for 2 weeks, I now can take 15 mg and get a pretty good sleep with no side effects."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 13, 2012

For Anxiety: "I have taken this medication since 1980. I do not take more than I was first prescribed. I take less if I don't need one I don't take it."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) July 22, 2012

For Alcohol Withdrawal: "I was prescribed 30 mg Oxazepam daily (as needed) for anxiety and insomnia a couple weeks after I quit drinking alcohol. It worked wonders for me for both of those problems, no "drug hangover" when I take it for sleep - it lets me sleep rather than makes me sleep, and slows my thoughts down enough when I am anxious or paniky so that I can function. I am also certain that this medicine helped me to stick to my decision to become a non-drinker. Have been taking it for over a year, and have not felt the need for increased dosage. Only problem I have with Oxazepam is the cost."

laughkat (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 28, 2012

For Anxiety: "I have been prescribed this for anxiety related to kidney failure. I did find that a 30mg dose did calm me down however, it has not helped much when I need to sleep."

Anonymous April 18, 2012

For Anxiety: "I take 30mg of oxazepam occasionally for chronic insomnia. The benefits are that it is effective, not too strong (can still function if needed in the night) and totally gone by morning. However, as it takes a while to kick in, I have to plan ahead when I'll use it and take the pills a good hour before going to bed."

Anonymous January 26, 2012

For Anxiety: "I take 30mg. It calms me down, I'm less anxious. It does what it is supposed to."

bibi1234 July 16, 2011