User Reviews for Oxazepam to treat Alcohol Withdrawal

Oxazepam has an average rating of 8.3 out of 10 from a total of 7 ratings for the treatment of Alcohol Withdrawal. 71% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 0% reported a negative effect.

Oxazepam Rating Summary

8.3/10 average rating

Compare all 13 medications used in the treatment of Alcohol Withdrawal.

jb10068 September 4, 2010

Serax (oxazepam): “I was prescribed 15mg Serax to take the edge of my anxiety while trying to stop drinking. I didn't have bad withdrawal (i.e. trembling, convulsions, etc) but I needed something to take the edge off. Serax was great for that. I knew when I took a dose around "happy hour" time that I couldn't drink because of the medication so I simply moved on with my life. It made me sleepy and I slept well and woke up with a great deal of energy. Then I read about the addictive aspect of Serax. My doctor said it was safe to use for 2-3 weeks but I was feeling addicted after five days and stopped. Given the choice of alcohol or Serax addiction I'd vote for Serax. My life was good using it.”

anon · Taken for less than 1 month October 25, 2019

“I wrote a comment and forgot to rate 10/10. I don't think anyone else here has commented on its use (under medical guidance) for ACUTE opiate withdrawal from long term opiate replacement therapy drugs such as methadone/suboxone I'd already gotten my life back together due to the opiate replacement (methadone) but I just outgrew the methadone, as it was holding me back from further life successes. This drug made the last week of my titration (dropped 50mg in 5 weeks, of methadone) bearable. If you know methadone, you know dropping 50mg in 5 weeks is basically hell, but I was happy throughout 'cause I'd addressed the underlying issues of my addiction, thus I was ready. I used Serax for one week, on a specific taper, to alleviate the worst symptoms and debilitating anxiety rapid opiate withdrawal causes. It worked. Listen to your doctors and don't play with your dosing. I mean, misusing prescribed Oxy is how I'd got my heroin habit in the first place.”

laughkat · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 28, 2012

“I was prescribed 30 mg Oxazepam daily (as needed) for anxiety and insomnia a couple weeks after I quit drinking alcohol. It worked wonders for me for both of those problems, no "drug hangover" when I take it for sleep - it lets me sleep rather than makes me sleep, and slows my thoughts down enough when I am anxious or paniky so that I can function. I am also certain that this medicine helped me to stick to my decision to become a non-drinker. Have been taking it for over a year, and have not felt the need for increased dosage. Only problem I have with Oxazepam is the cost.”

TIP March 1, 2021

“Received it in jail as I had to withdrawal from alcohol. I drank 12-15 pack cans for 2 years, booted about 2 g a day of meth anxiety ALWAYS and thus REALLY helped in jail and AFTER jail. Highly recommend”

John · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 4, 2020

“I've been on high dose of opioid for the last 3 years generally 4 x OxyContin 80mg daily plus liquid hyrodmorphone, so got on oxazepam for High dose opiate withdrawal. I've since attempted to cease and the restless legs at night are unbearable I cannot sleep for more than one hour if I'm lucky. This has been going on for 2 weeks and I'm exhausted. I tried clonidine with my dr, I tried pregabalin, gabapentin, pramipexole, rotigotine, but no resolution. Oxazepam helps very minimally when taking it every 4 hours but alprazolam for me tends to work more effectively to stop the restless at night to finally relax those restless legs. Nothing will stop them bar more opioids or alprazolam. Oxazepam made me feel slightly drowsy but no real benefit for me unfortunately.”

kbyd506 July 9, 2010

Serax (oxazepam): “This medicine worked well for my addiction to alcohol. Within a weeks time I was sober and feeling good and a detox facility was not needed. All from the comfort of my own home.”

sirius1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 5, 2018

“I first took this drug to help me quit drinking and it was very efficient. Try not to take it for too long, to be able to stop it easily .”

Anonymous February 12, 2021

“I have used to help get off alcohol. No benefit of oxazepam”

Learn more about Alcohol Withdrawal