User Reviews for Chlorpromazine

Also known as: Ormazine, Thorazine

Learn more about Chlorpromazine.

Schizophrenia 6 reviews 42 medications

Nausea/Vomiting 1 reviews 159 medications

Psychosis 3 reviews 18 medications

Summary of Chlorpromazine reviews 27 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Chlorpromazine

Thorazine (chlorpromazine) for Light Sedation: "I have been on thorazine since 1996. I take 1000mg a day. The doctor keep increasing it too. it is the only thing he will give me to sleep. I was on klonopin 1mg before i started the thorazine and it worked great, but my doctor said he doesnt want me to take it anymore because it is a narcotic, so he took it away and doubled my thorazine. He also put me on serequel 200mg twice a day. The only thing is i cant do much but lay around all day. I dont like the serequel but he said its better than klonopin for me and the thorazine dose is getting too high."

starwars4u July 26, 2016

Thorazine (chlorpromazine) for Hiccups: "I was prescribed this after an operation where the anesthesia induced severe hiccupping for about 6 hours. Took one tablet and 20 minutes later no hiccups. When I went to the Philippines I got hiccups again and went to a drug store (no prescription needed), got the lowest dosage (5 mg I think) and my hiccups were gone in 15 minutes."

jerrystr (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2016

Thorazine (chlorpromazine) for Schizophrenia: "As a child it helped me at high dose for 6 1/2 years.. Now my son is taking at a high dose it's a night and day difference but also he's having now side effects that limit his function to the point his blood pressure is very unstable and he is having muscle rigidity, tremors, vagal syncope an ER doctor said autonomic instability ... We are lowering now as to be able too add another with less side effects with his arrhythmia which even with me being Autistic Schizophrenic like him challenging to control and watch as he's in full psychosis at this point... But I will say Thorazine is golden compared to the rest and we've tried the rest he likes the calm and it actually stops the parasomnia... But it's just now the serious side effects of this..."

Jakamose February 4, 2016

Thorazine (chlorpromazine) for Mania: "Landed in a number of mental health hospitals starting when I was about eight, ending when I was 17. On and off, months at a time, not constantly. 1970s medical thought was giving a boy child Ritalin would slow him down, I proved that not to always be the case as it made me bounce off of walls with hyperactivity which the psychiatrists would treat with ever increasing doses of Thorazine injected into a buttock with four-six orderlies holding me down and an RN following instructions by knocking me out with the Thorazine. I would fight the sleep but it always got me. When I was awoken between (I think) 8-12 hours later, I felt like death warmed over, could not eat, HUNGOVER, raised hell next day for it. Not cool at all to do to a child."

Dan L. M. (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 12, 2015

Thorazine (chlorpromazine) for Hiccups: "I have been fighting hiccups off and on for weeks. Was prescribed Thorazine, have been somewhat reluctant to take it 3"

Tjf October 15, 2015

For Schizophrenia: "Largactil, you are a life-saver."

TandyBandy (taken for 10 years or more) September 23, 2015

For Mania: "My son was put on thorazine 3 months ago and he says the only thing it does for him is help him sleep better. He has a very flat affect, is zombie-like, and has changed his whole personality. I am not comfortable with him taking this and his clinician is looking to change it."

Yammie April 10, 2015

For Mania: "This medicine has helped me far better than any of the other concoctions, and doesn't have as much of the weight gain problem. I am on 400 mg. My insurance hates that I take it and charges me $133 for it...and it's worth every penny. It stops many urges that come along with mania, but it does flatten you out--those of you that are bipolar know what I'm talking about. This medicine helps me get into actual REM sleep and there are no nightmares; and it keeps me calm all day long. I love it."

Nickole Clarke April 3, 2015

Thorazine (chlorpromazine) for : "The medication took away my alters connection to me, which at first was really scary because I'd always relied on them to come out and live my life for me when things got rough. I realised soon after starting the drug how little I knew my best friends and how much my disorder actually affected my relationships with them. It scared them and made them come to not trust me at times. Now, I'm scared of not taking it. It has allowed me to learn better coping mechanisms then hiding behind a facade or letting others deal with my problems Instead. It has actually helped me realise, I don't need the help of my alters to get through a day"

Terreden (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 19, 2015

Thorazine (chlorpromazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "After having surgery for gastric reflux and a major hernia, I was unable to keep anything down, including water. My Dr. Tried me on Zofran, Scopalamime patch ,and Phenergan with barely any effect. He eventually brought me back in to get some IV fluids into me That was when he tried me on Thorazine. It works wonderfully on my vomiting. The only problem I have with it at all is that it makes me so drowsy, understatement- it knocks me out. But it was worth it to be able to get something down so I didn't get dehydrated again."

Launchelle February 14, 2015

For Psychosis: "I had a psychotic episode last year. Its gone now, but I was given this medication to help ease the symptoms. It would say it's good for calming you down and I slept well on it. It did help up until a point, then the voices and hallucinations came back. Got switched to Sulpiride and that seemed to be more helpful. On a high dose it dose make you twitch a lot and I struggled to pass urine (a listed side effect). Good for sleep and relaxation, but over all wasn't very effective."

Whatbloodyname (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 26, 2014

For Schizophrenia: "Chloropromazine stops the voices because it knocks you the hell out. I take this medication at night, one 50 mg is enough to knock me out at 5 foot 11 inches and 200 lbs, if you have decent general health a lower dose will be potent. I haven't needed anything more than the nightly dose, I am also on Lithium which is wonderful, the combination works great together for me. I have not had any serious negative side effects, I am working out more and losing weight, I was unable to do this on risperidol, Aeroquel, Abilify, or anything else I have been put on. The only thing stopping me from giving this a 10 star review is that most doctors prescribe Chlorpromazine for daily use. I would not be able to function on this during the day."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 13, 2014

Thorazine (chlorpromazine) for Schizophrenia: "This is the only medicine which has worked for my schizophrenia. It's a nightmare to take to begin with, need to gradually increase the dose, but has kept me reasonably well and coping for years. Only side effects for me are dry mouth and solar sensitivity, I don't like the sun anyway so no matter. But the dry mouth does limit the dose. It helps me sleep too."

Otto the android (taken for 10 years or more) July 5, 2014

Thorazine (chlorpromazine) for Psychosis: "My daughter is 15 and had increase confusion, zombie effect, was Not a good medication for her"

Sesquivel22 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 22, 2014

Thorazine (chlorpromazine) for Light Sedation: "My Dr. prescribed me Thorazine for insomnia because she doesn't like Ambien, Xanax, etc. Felt like a zombie in the morning, plus I developed a tolerance from 50 mg to 100 mg in 2 weeks. Felt dead inside. After 100 mg and another 2 weeks had trouble sleeping again and doctor told me to double the dose. I didn't do it."

jen3577 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 13, 2013

Thorazine (chlorpromazine) for Hiccups: "I had hiccups for 48 hours continuously and was hiccupping about 15000 times a day. I went to my GP and was prescribed Chlorpromazine. I was reluctant to try it at first because of the side effects but it did work after being on a 25mg dose three times a day after 72 hours. It does take a while to kick in and have an effect but it did work. Make sure you come off them slowly and gradually otherwise it makes you feel nauseous and sick. Your urine may also be a lot darker in colour and smell differently."

Nick (Wiltshire - UK) (taken for less than 1 month) July 21, 2013

Thorazine (chlorpromazine) for Hiccups: "I get severe hiccups. This works!"

tjssss July 14, 2013

Thorazine (chlorpromazine) for Hiccups: "I write this to help others. I actually had the hiccups for eight straight days...yes 8! I couldn't eat without hiccuping, and sleep with out hiccuping. I had no health insurance, which is why I waited so long before seeking professional medical advice/treatment. On that eighth day I went to a "Doc-in-a-Box", and the Doctor prescribed "Thorazine", only ten! Within 30 minutes of taking the first one, the hiccups were gone! I had nine more pills (low dosage) left. Each time I took one, it was like I was the "King of the world'! I had a constant smile on my face and wanted to hug everyone, but I could still MAINTAIN. "

VaBeachBeez January 19, 2013

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Helped right away. No bad withdrawals like before. Its a lifesaver and there is no narcotic in this."

helped!!!!!! (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2013

Thorazine (chlorpromazine) for Hiccups: "Dad was hiccuping badly for two days straight - nothing was working and attempting to get water or fluids down didn't work. Hiccups got worse and he began to vomit when we saw blood we took him to emergency room - they brought Thorazine and within 10-20 minutes he stopped hiccuping... he had one short flare up while moving around but after 20-30minutes it went away and he was sleeping. Hopefully this does the trick and keeps him from hiccuping - but for sure it's a good emergency medicine to stop painful and persistent hiccups."

Anonymous October 21, 2012

For Schizophrenia: "Though relieving, side effects are a bit much. It may just be the sudden change from my previous medication, but this medicine has added to my anxiety and occasional panic attacks to a point where my doctor has had to prescribe me another anti-depressant."

AudreyKuykendall (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 27, 2012

Thorazine (chlorpromazine) for : "There's a reason they call it the Thorazine shuffle."

Anonymous January 30, 2012

Thorazine (chlorpromazine) for Schizophrenia: "This medication helps with my symptoms and controls some of the voices and the sightings that I experienced throughout my use of this medication."

JasmineB September 26, 2011

Thorazine (chlorpromazine) for Mania: "I take it for bipolar disorder. It helps through the mania. It helps sleep and then mania the next day. "

Anonymous May 7, 2011

For Mania: "Helps some of the symptoms of mania and psychosis or hearing voices and such. Also helps with sleep which helps greatly when you are bipolar and in a manic and restless state. Overall I would have to say this medicine has helped the most of ALL the other medicines I have had to try so far."

zekejr March 1, 2011