User Reviews for Chlorpromazine to treat Mania

Chlorpromazine has an average rating of 6.2 out of 10 from a total of 6 ratings for the treatment of Mania. 50% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 33% reported a negative experience.

Chlorpromazine rating summary

6.2/10 average rating

Compare all 14 medications used in the treatment of Mania.

Rick · Taken for 5 to 10 years · March 19, 2018

Thorazine (chlorpromazine) "Thorazine is the only medication that works for my mania (so far... and I've tried a lot of things!) The two side effects that are bothersome include some stiffness and hangover effect after sleeping. But... really, it works for me when other medicines have not."

Dan L. M. · Taken for 5 to 10 years · December 12, 2015

Thorazine (chlorpromazine) "Landed in a number of mental health hospitals starting when I was about eight, ending when I was 17. On and off, months at a time, not constantly. 1970s medical thought was giving a boy child Ritalin would slow him down, I proved that not to always be the case as it made me bounce off of walls with hyperactivity which the psychiatrists would treat with ever increasing doses of Thorazine injected into a buttock with four-six orderlies holding me down and an RN following instructions by knocking me out with the Thorazine. I would fight the sleep but it always got me. When I was awoken between (I think) 8-12 hours later, I felt like death warmed over, could not eat, HUNGOVER, raised hell next day for it. Not cool at all to do to a child."

Nickole Clarke · April 3, 2015

"This medicine has helped me far better than any of the other concoctions, and doesn't have as much of the weight gain problem. I am on 400 mg. My insurance hates that I take it and charges me $133 for it...and it's worth every penny. It stops many urges that come along with mania, but it does flatten you out--those of you that are bipolar know what I'm talking about. This medicine helps me get into actual REM sleep and there are no nightmares; and it keeps me calm all day long. I love it."

zekejr · March 1, 2011

"Helps some of the symptoms of mania and psychosis or hearing voices and such. Also helps with sleep which helps greatly when you are bipolar and in a manic and restless state. Overall I would have to say this medicine has helped the most of ALL the other medicines I have had to try so far."

Yammie · April 10, 2015

"My son was put on thorazine 3 months ago and he says the only thing it does for him is help him sleep better. He has a very flat affect, is zombie-like, and has changed his whole personality. I am not comfortable with him taking this and his clinician is looking to change it."

Anonymous · May 7, 2011

Thorazine (chlorpromazine) "I take it for bipolar disorder. It helps through the mania. It helps sleep and then mania the next day. "

Learn more about Mania