User Reviews for Loratadine to treat Allergic Rhinitis

Also known as: Claritin, Alavert, Allergy Relief Tablets, Claritin 24 Hour Allergy, Children's Claritin Allergy, Claritin Reditabs, Help I Have Allergies, Bactimicina Allergy, Allergy Relief 24 Hour, Children's Allergy Relief 24 Hour, Vicks QlearQuil All Day & All Night 24 Hour Allergy Relief, ohm Allergy Relief, Clear-Atadine, Loratadine Reditab, Wal-itin Clear-Atadine Children's Tavist ND …show all brand names

Loratadine has an average rating of 5.2 out of 10 from a total of 70 ratings for the treatment of Allergic Rhinitis. 43% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 47% reported a negative effect.

Loratadine Rating Summary

5.2/10 average rating

Compare all 271 medications used in the treatment of Allergic Rhinitis.

Reviews for Loratadine

Mandy · Taken for less than 1 month March 14, 2019

Claritin (loratadine): “I was prescribed Claritin by my ENT. I was told to take it every morning, which I did, but after a few hours of taking it, I would get the worst neck pain/head aches. I also got joint pain in my knees. I looked up these two side effects and sure enough a good percent of female patients age 49+ reported these side effects. Seems more common in females. It did nothing whatsoever for my severe allergies and my Otis externa. I couldn't take the pain from this drug and stopped. Within 24 hours the painful aches went away.”

Simba · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 16, 2020

Claritin (loratadine): “I've been on this product for a few years. Works great. Makes me super thirsty but keeps my sinuses clear. My eyes aren't red and itchy. Even my skin has cleared up!! My son was put on this and when I saw he was doing better I joined him on it. No problems with sleep, or tummy aches!”

Sunnyismyangel March 31, 2017

Claritin (loratadine): “It was effective for my allergies, however it caused many side effects that are listed nowhere! Depression, anxiety, confusion and sleepiness that was so pronounced I had to pull over while driving. This was the Nondrowsy formula. There are 11 other people who had similar reactions in the support in drugs.com group, under the drug name. I'll deal with my allergies rather than end up in the psych ward.”

Dian · Taken for less than 1 month November 20, 2019

Claritin (loratadine): “The first day it was effective but I started to feel tired and sad. I also suffered form lack of sleep and felt thirsty all the time even though I drank lost of water. I was not able to do number 2 :-) for 3 days and I had stomach aches. I stopped taking this drug immediately.”

Ryan · Taken for less than 1 month February 20, 2019

Claritin (loratadine): “Read some of the reviews, says it causes confusion, anxiety, depression. I took it for 2 days. 1st day I didn’t feel anything except my ears started ringing really bad. 2nd day I took it, it caused the worst confusion of my life. Going on the day after and I still feel like rubbish. Don’t take this drug.”

Waxtadpole · Taken for less than 1 month January 6, 2020

Claritin (loratadine): “Claritin is very effective on my allergy symptoms but it also makes me drowsy. However I've had problems getting a good night's sleep in the past, and the usual OTC sleep aids like melatonin and Advil PM don't always work for me. With "non-drowsy" Claritin I haven't slept this well in ages! Need to ask my MD or a specialist if Claritin induces good quality, healthy sleep and whether I can keep taking it as a sleep aid.”

Charley · Taken for less than 1 month January 22, 2019

Claritin (loratadine): “I have had postnasal drip and chronic cough especially in the winter for at least 10 years....scratchy throat, itchy ears, sore throat and burns at times facial pain, sneezing. I just got over what I thought was a sinus infection. I was still feeling bad so I was doing some reading and I read what clairtan can offer so I tried it. Within and hour or so my post nasal drip was a whole lot better and my cough along with it now I am on day 5 of taking clairtan...I feel like I could go out dancing I am sure it can only get better from here ...GOSH why didn't I try clairtan years ago ....”

space cadet · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 13, 2019

Claritin (loratadine): “This medicine Claritin I swear on god it’s the best. I've tried other medicine like zirtec and over the counter ones but this the only thing that works and it kicks my allergies in instantly like 20 min tops and last for days.”

witzend · Taken for less than 1 month October 14, 2020

Claritin (loratadine): “Took one 24-hour Claritin on Sunday. Within hours, my itchy eyes and runny/stuffy nose had cleared. Took a second Claritin on Monday. Poor sleep that night. Tuesday morning, getting out of bed, I experienced a terrible backache and the beginnings of a headache that Tylenol didn't touch. Backache lasted all day. Stopped Claritin before my third dose. Today is Wednesday and I'm feeling zombie-like, fatigued, with lingering back pain. Much as I had hoped this might be my miracle pill, it's not. I'm a 70+ year-old lady in good health who will not be taking this again.”

Dinodagino July 27, 2017

Claritin (loratadine): “I have chronic allergies (undiagnosed). I suffer from dry , red, stinging eyes and a nose that gets stuffy even with turbinate reduction surgery as well as general fatigue and low energy. Claritin helped me feel functional again and I can look people in the eye when I talk to them. Nose it a lot more clear. It is VERY important to take it for a week before it provides full relief. This did not start working for me till day 4 and now I feel great , perhaps the best ever. I am giving it an 8 because it causes me dry mouth and my sleep is not the greatest. The point of this review is not to fully trust all the negative reviews. Try it for yourself every day for one , maybe even 2 weeks and see how it affects you. Best of luck.”

AnnPnTN · Taken for less than 1 month March 21, 2019

“After a trip to the Urgent Care again, and a diagnosis of severe sinus infection, pressure in head, fluid around ear drum-almost an infection, excessive post nasal drip, and slightly asthmatic due to allergies! This is a repeat scenario and I have tried ceterizine, but it does not stop my severe post nasal drip at all. So the Doctor (who also has allergies and a wife with severe allergies) told me to take Claritan during the day and also prescribed Cephalexin, Steroids, and an inhaler. Well after praying and spending another 2 hours spitting due to post nasal drip, I took the Claratin/Loratadine. Wow it stopped my post nasal drip in only 20-30 minutes! *** My reactions were, sudden drowsiness even though it says non-drowsy, and before that a few heart palpitations. However it did work and nothing else has stopped my symptoms! I have indoor/outdoor allergies, numerous food and medicine sensitivities and allergies, and so on. * Tried the 10mg but plan to go to 5mg child dosage. :0)”

Kids813 June 21, 2019

“I purchased Claritin NON DROWSY (yeah right) this morning. I took one at 10 am and within an hour my symptoms all stopped. I felt exhausted and spaced out and by 4 pm I started to feel like I was on speed and wired. I felt like I was in slow motion saying what the heck is going on with this? It’s nearly midnight as I’m typing this and feel tired but wired. I can’t wait till morning being it’s a 24 hour dose for this to leave my body but it did stop my coughing all day wheezing, sniffling and sneezing but these side effects are not worth it. Anyone have any recommendations for another allergy med as I cant take a decongestant due to the ingredient causing worse fatigue.”

jenn54 June 15, 2020

Claritin (loratadine): “I started using Claritin (loratadine) per my ENT's instructions to address a runny nose/PND. After one week I noticed facial redness on my cheeks and nose, the only thing different that I'd been using was the Claritin. I stopped taking it today and sure hoping the redness disappears. It did work as far as clearing up my nose and PND.”

Xanmom June 25, 2014

Children's Claritin Allergy (loratadine): “My five year old son took Claritin chewables for approximately two weeks and had a sudden onset of facial tics ( eye blinking). His doctor attributed it to the Claritin and said it was a known side effect, especially with family history of tics. ”

Wendover June 14, 2010

Claritin (loratadine): “This is the 2nd time in a month that I have suffered from dizziness and fatigue after taking Claritin. My blood pressure has dropped to 96/58 which is low even for me. I have always had lower than normal blood pressure. I last took Claritin on Thursday morning and this is Monday and can finally stand up without feeling dizzy.”

Anonymous August 5, 2009

Claritin (loratadine): “I have taken Claritin for a number of years now. I have year round allergies and severe in season. I only take this when needed - I am not the take it as a preventative type. My experience is that Claritin is effective if taken on an empty stomach and when my allergies are on the mild to moderate side. If they are severe, it does not help.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 13, 2012

Claritin 24 Hour Allergy (loratadine): “Clairitin is the only medicine that works for me. I have very high pollen counts in my area and have always suffered sinus infections. I started taking Claritin 24 about 10 days ago and I feel clear! Just bought a 30 day supply.”

LouAnnP · Taken for less than 1 month May 6, 2015

Claritin (loratadine): “It did help with symptoms but it caused depression for me. took it for three days then realized that , had depression. Google claritin and depression and the second listing that comes up us a discussion on this website about claritin from users saying it caused depression for them”

A Robinson May 5, 2014

“First of all I'm not and never have been a smoker. Have COPD due to chronic bronchitis, I developed asthma after 40. I've been taking this product for five yrs and the illness due to weather has decreased dramatically I had previously suffered from pneumonia due to worsening bronchitis at least twice a yr. I average once every three years now it is due to consistently taking this year round.”

Sam · Taken for less than 1 month September 9, 2018

Claritin (loratadine): “Absolutely no relief whatsoever from a severe allergy condition I had for one day a few weeks ago. Wrote to Bayer, they responded the next day with promises of a refund but nothing after initial first contact. Do not waste your money on this product, try something else.”

Ropeman · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 18, 2013

“I have been taking this forever for seasonal and year around allergies. No side effects, no interactions that I know of. Every once in awhile when the pollen count gets very high I will also take one Benadryl. That knocks it all back to a comfortable level for days.”

PJWIS55 June 6, 2015

Loratadine Reditab (loratadine): “I was diagnosed with allergy induced sinus infection. I also had really itchy ears and skin patches. The loratadine helped these problems but cause really serious CNS side effects. My PB was elevated by 30 points (154/93) with heart rate at 68. I was in a full body shake early in the morning of the 4 day of treatment. I also experienced serious anxiety and depression problems. I stopped taking the meds and the symptoms gradually subsided through the day. Not a good choice for me.”

Anonymous November 17, 2009

Claritin (loratadine): “I took Claritin on two occasions to alleviate stuffy head colds and runny nose. I took 2 pills, one each on successive days about a month apart, and a day after taking them experienced both times a bloody nose. I am an older adult and haven't had a bloody nose since I was a child.”

Tlo2407!sacramento May 19, 2017

Claritin (loratadine): “It takes hours and hours to kick in. I even took 2 to speed up my relief and 3 hours later I'm still suffering. Zyrtec works within 30 min and lasts 24 hours. I will never take claritin again when I need immediate relief.”

Aylesbury August 1, 2011

“I found this helpful in relieving the excess production of mucous and the resultant post-nasal drip which caused an irritating and continuous need to cough up phlegm. However I have not been using it for very long (3 weeks at 1 tablet per day taken in the morning) and twice have experienced light-headedness requiring me to hang onto something and to sit or lie down before I fall down. I normally have fairly low blood pressure but not sufficient to feel I am about to faint.”

Learn more about Allergic Rhinitis