Loratadine Side Effects
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 3, 2023.
Applies to loratadine: oral capsule liquid filled, oral solution, oral syrup, oral tablet, oral tablet chewable, oral tablet disintegrating.
Serious side effects of Loratadine
Along with its needed effects, loratadine may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking loratadine:
Incidence not known
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to loratadine: oral capsule, oral syrup, oral tablet, oral tablet chewable, oral tablet disintegrating.
Very common (10% or more): Headache (up to 12%)
Common (1% to 10%): Sedation/somnolence
Very rare (less than 0.01%): Dizziness, convulsion
Common (1% to 10%): Nervousness
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Insomnia
Common (1% to 10%): Fatigue
Common (1% to 10%): Dry mouth
Very rare (less than 0.01%): Nausea, gastritis
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Increased appetite[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Increased frequency of urination, urine discoloration, menstruation delay[Ref]
Very rare (less than 0.01%): Tachycardia, palpitation
Very rare (less than 0.01%): Abnormal hepatic function[Ref]
Frequently asked questions
- What are the most common skin conditions? (with photos)
- Can you give loratadine to dogs?
- Why do you take Claritin with Neulasta?
- Can you take 10mg of loratadine twice a day?
- Can you take antihistamines when pregnant?
More about loratadine
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Pricing & coupons
- Reviews (137)
- Drug images
- Dosage information
- Patient tips
- During pregnancy
- Support group
- Drug class: antihistamines
- En español
- Loratadine drug information
- Loratadine Capsules and Tablets
- Loratadine Chewable Tablets
- Loratadine Liquid
- Loratadine Orally Disintegrating Tablets
Related treatment guides
1. Product Information. Claritin (loratadine). Schering Corporation. 2002.
2. Cerner Multum, Inc. UK Summary of Product Characteristics.
3. Cerner Multum, Inc. Australian Product Information.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.