User Reviews for Lupron

Learn more about Lupron.

Lupron Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 56 medications used in the treatment of Prostate Cancer.

Reviews for Lupron to treat Prostate Cancer

"Diagnosed Stage 4 Prostate cancer-- July 2012--PSA=8 Radical Prostatectomy-- October 2012--PSA=0.6 Forty days radiation--April 2013---PSA=0.1 PSA=0.3---Jan 2015 PSA=1.0---March 2015 First Lupron Injection---April 2015--PSA=0.1 Second Lupron Injection--Oct 2015---PSA=0.1 Third Lupron Injection---April 2016---PSA=0.1 Fourth Lupron Injection---Oct. 2016--PSA=??? Lupron Injections accompanied by daily tablets of Bicalutamide. Side Effects: Penis shrinkage(afraid it will soon disappear), libido absent, hot flashes, some insomnia, increased neuropathy, some itching, inflammation in hands, extreme fatigue. All side effects manageable--beats being dead-- and has allowed me time to tie up loose ends and who knows--I may have years ahead!"

Nishpata August 5, 2016

"8 months into Lupron plus Casodex and I am refusing the next 3 month shot. PSA went from 5.7 to .2 to .1 and am just finishing up 9 weeks of radiation. GL scores were mostly 9's but no metastatic found. To say a less common side effect is loss of libido is just plain BS. About a month after the first shot I was done with sex, doc said once the testosterone is gone that's normal. Little aches and pains linger, balls shrink, lost all hair under my arms and slow growing elsewhere. Sometimes seem in a fog mentally. Hot flashes like you wouldn't believe till they offered me other meds, which help somewhat, Put on 5 lbs of blubber below the belly. Lack of energy as well. It works but I think DRs. keep you on it too long for Stage 1 or 2 cancers."

Len Pitts July 13, 2016

"Been on this drug 15 months No libido at all day sweats night sweats and hot flashes irritability and erratic memory episodes PSA from 30 to .01 after radiation and continues today"

Tom 1 June 16, 2016

"This is pure poison, I have very bad side effects from this poison and the doctor said he can do nothing, the physical and mental pain is so bad , hot flashes, very high blood pressure, head aches every day, pain urinating, joint pain, mental confusion , brain fog, memory loss, total itchy all over, sleeplessness , very bad fatigued, and a lot more, my doctor never told me anything about this poison just injected my with a 6 month supply, at 6,000.00."

albert owens (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 7, 2016

"Nov. 2012 I had a double lung transplant. July 2014 I was told I had prostate cancer (this after several PSA's that never dropped below 4. My last was in the high thirties and I had had 3 biopsies). Had a radical surgery in November which included nerve scraping and removal of 11 lymph nodes. Post surgery I had no radiation but did have the long term Lupron injections twice. I was cancer free for a year and now it is back. Started Lupron again and the side effects are already out in full force (after 4 days). Because of my compromised immune system and the medications I must take for life and kidney issues as a result of the lung transplant I worry that the Lupron will not work. What would be an alternative treatment?"

WHEEZERWILL (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2016

"Diagnosed with stage 4 metastatic prostate cancer involving bones. PSA was 130. Gleason score is a pair of bad 7s (4 3) and a pair of 8s. Also undergoing chemo with docetaxel. I've had 4 of 6 scheduled treatments. I also have xgeva injection monthly and lupron quarterly. I've had one lupron injection and 3 xgeva injections. After 42 days PSA dropped to 2.9. Three weeks later it was .7. That's a 98% drop each time. Was urinating 12 times a day about 4 to 6 ounces at a time and storing 9 ounces all the time. First treatment was docetaxel, xgeva and lupron on same visit. Relief was almost immediate. Eliminating 12 to 14 ounces now 4 to 5 times a day. Also take prednisone twice a day until chemo is done. Side effects have been fairly nominal."

Tarheel82 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 23, 2016

"Doctors just give it out like cough medicine. I have a from of muscular distrophy , lupron almost killed me and the doctors did not know what to do. 11 years later I am still having side effects from the synthetic hormone. doctors should realize that one size does not fit all."

Inspector ll (taken for 10 years or more) January 9, 2016

"Stage 2B prostate cancer. Proton beam therapy coupled with six months on Lupron. Dreaded getting the second 3-month shot. Side-effects: Almost total loss of libido and sexual function within 30 days--lasting for several months post usage; debilitating hot flashes (2X/hour, 24/7); 15 pounds of weight gain; 50% increase in cholesterol under same diet; dangerous liver impact (GGT > 130) w/o alcohol use; significant breast growth."

Etienne1 October 31, 2015

"Have been getting monthly Lupron 7.5 mg injections since July 2014 (just had my 8th injection). No hot flashes; some mood swings and I recently started having arm and leg cramps a few times a week. Taking Casodex 50 mg daily as well, so it's hard to know which to blame. PSA was 205 when I started these meds and is now 0.03. I believe the complete lack of hot flashes may be due to receiving the monthly vs 3 or 6-month injection dose. I hope this information helps others."

WWII Vet (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 18, 2015

"Prostate removed - huge 350 cc- Gleason 7, PSA 15, radiation for 8 weeks, Lupron every 3 months for one year, every 6 months for the next year and a half. PSA has been less than 0.01 since initial radiation. Weakness, memory problems and hot flashes but no cancer. Treatment is worth the side effects. I feel very lucky. "

Rustymart (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 6, 2015

"Had my first Lupron shot before 45 days of radiation. Having hot flashes,muscle and joint pain but not too bad. Doing the shot every 3 months. Psa went from 11.5 to 0.1. Next shot coming up in couple weeks. Don't have a problem with the shot or after having it. I think Lupron has been helping me, but everyone has different experiencies with it. Good luck to all you prostate cancer people."

olscout September 17, 2014

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was 50, had my prostate removed then let it go at 55. Had a PSA above 400, my weight dropped to 105lbs thought I was going to die then had 15 radaiaton treatments and started Lupron shots. PSA dropped, I came back to life now I an 63 still getting Lupron shots every 6 months sure there are some side effects but its better than being dead if you have cancer. I hope something works for you."

walking dead....... (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 5, 2014

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Have been on Lupron for about 2 years and my stage 4 prostate cancer is now in remission. My prostate cancer specialist gets all the credit and kept side effects to a minimum with the help of other meds and supplements. I recommend Lupron."

Conmgr (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 2, 2013

119 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on Lupron for two years. I got my last shot in December. It has kept my PSA under .03. Can't wait to see if it is still that low after 3 months! You learn to live with the side effects."

1968gto (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 26, 2013

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I got this shot about two years ago. I was told by the urologist that it was a one month shot. I had the shot becaue we wanted some time to research and decide what treatment would be best. Found out later that it was a 3 month shot! Suffered severe side effects! PSA dropped from 13 to 7, but the side effects were NOT worth it! Hot flashes with some of them causing me to nearly pass out were often (20 a day), memory problems, muscle/joint pain and on and on! Once, while teaching I suddenly didn't know where I was or what I was doing! After radiation I was recently put on Trelstar on a MONTHLY basis, nearly the same side effects but NOT the really bad ones!"

blessedhighfavor (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 18, 2012

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My cancerous prostate was removed when I was 65, 6 years ago. I receive a 22.5 mg Lupron injection about every 3 months. My PSA decreases each time from about 2 to undectable. The injection area is sore for 2-3 days after each injection. I have perhaps a dozen relatively minor hot flashes daily. I take 4 venlafaxine hcl 75 mg tablets daily to curtail hot flashes."

Anonymous June 11, 2012

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Had 1st shot 11/10/11, PSA was at 182, tested 3 weeks later, PSA had dropped to 3.3. Have prostate, metastatic bone and lymphatic cancer. This combined with radiation therapy, greatly improved my mobility (pelvis, hips fully involved, as well as on and inside spine). Side effects are hot flashes and night sweats, but other than that manageable for the relief I've gotten."

mdo333 January 4, 2012

116 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Recently received my first Lupron injection. Within one week my PSA dropped from 69.7 to 11. I have not noticed any severe side effects a of today. I am also starting Alendronate Sodium tablet for healthier bones."

Inline Don December 30, 2011

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Got a shot of it on Friday, some soreness on Saturday; but saw immediate results of reduced urgency to void every hour, sometimes 4-5 times per hour, depending on consumption of liquid. Some sensitivity to right side of groin and scrotum. Seemed like it might be some blockage in semen tubing or possibly the medication impacting the two lymph nodes that showed some cancer invasion. Now it is Tuesday evening and the sensitivity on the right side groin is minimal. It is really amazing how fast the medication impacted the symptoms. I got a 3 month shot and expect to do a blood draw in 6 weeks to evaluate the impact on the PSA levels. So far so good."

Mikeymini October 18, 2011

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Second injection started night and day sweats. This has increased to every 2-3 hrs during the day - less frequency at night. Dropped my PSA from 30 to .07 post prostate removal. Time on medication - 6 months."

Anonymous April 18, 2011

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been receiving Lupron or Eligard every 6 months for ten years to help reduce the growth of prostate cancer. Early research reports indicated that one side effect might be peripheral neuropathy. That started to develop in my feet shortly after I was put on Lupron. Loss of bone mass has also been associated with Lupron. I have begun taking 1200 units of calcium VitaminD each day. My PSA scores have all continued to be below .1. I have no major complaints, and have learned to live with the side effects."

clauscn December 10, 2009

160 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"While I do believe it has lengthened by life, the side effects are difficult to deal with. I am extremely sun sensitive, also have a rash on my wrists that doesn't go away. "

DonAlonso March 30, 2009

120 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate