User Reviews for Latanoprost ophthalmic

Intraocular Hypertension   6.9
Glaucoma, Open Angle   4.7

Reviews for Latanoprost ophthalmic

Mary · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 15, 2021

For Glaucoma, Open Angle: “I was prescribed Latanoprost for elevated eye pressure due to the beginning stages of glaucoma. After reading the reviews, I have to admit I was skeptical about this medication. However I thought, I won't know if this will work for me if I don't try. Been on the drops for a month, and followed directions. So far no side effects at all. I keep my meds in the fridge, even though the package say you don't have to. But no stinging, burning, blurred vision, dry eye, runny nose, heart palpitations, shoulder or any muscular pain, etc. The drops are easy to use. The only reason I rated this med a 5 is because I have not been back for my follow up yet. I will update.”

Bc · Taken for less than 1 month February 10, 2021

Xalatan (latanoprost) for Glaucoma, Open Angle: “This is better than LUMIGAN. LUMIGAN gave me flu like joint symptoms. Have stinging pain but tolerable. At least Xalatan doesn’t have flu like pains. Though by 5:30pm each day, my eyes and eye areas are super burning. Had to use aloe Vera sunburnt creams and cucumber (it was either that or a packet of frozen peas on my face) FYI laser didn’t change my pressure turns out it only works 80 per cent of people. Re xalatan, I’m not sure I can tolerate this extreme sunburnt for that long”

Joma January 31, 2021

For Glaucoma, Open Angle: “I took latanoprost and I believe it made my digestive sphincters malfunction. Except for glaucoma, I’ve always been healthy, on no meds and with good annual physicals. I’ve never had heartburn before. I have developed straining with pooping that started shortly after, trouble swallowing that started after four months, then heartburn acid indigestion, the feeling like ulcers are described, and acid reflux—I used Maalox and when I took an antacid, my stomach burned like I had more ulcers, throat burned, saliva burned and my mouth tastes like bile. I think the sphincter leading to my duodenum was also malfunctioning. I am going to the doctor to get an endoscopy to see the extent of the reflux next week.”

Lucky · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 9, 2020

For Glaucoma, Open Angle: “I have taken latanoprost for over 3 months now my left eyes feel like something in it and it burn and now I cannot stand to watch T.V. because the light hurt my eyes. I am trying to change my eye drop but it good for getting your pressure down but cannot watch T.V. ever again”

RBill · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 16, 2020

For Glaucoma, Open Angle: “Used Sandoz, made by Akorn in Ft. Worth, for 3 1/2 years with great success in lowering eye pressure. Went from 22 to 25 down to 12 to 14. Humana Pharmacy switched supplier to Rising made in India. After using, for 3 months, went back to eye doctor for checkup and pressures were all the way back into the low to mid 20's. Switched to others and have now settled on Lumigan, costs dramatically higher, plus Timolol Maleate in one eye only twice a day. Glad to see another commenter on here having the same issue after Humana switching source. I have suspected all along it was the quality of source and not the actual drug. Positive it was cheaper for them. Incidentally other than eyelashes growing longer, did not have any of the other side-effects mentioned in the posts below. Do understand the frustration in the packaging. Hard to get open with arthritic hands.”

jazzie · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 27, 2020

For Glaucoma, Open Angle: “I was prescribed this a few months ago and have been experiencing terrible side effects. First is my vision seems to be strange in not focusing right. I had a small amount of floaters and now they are so many and much more often. My eyes sting and are red, even was brownish in the corner one morning that scared me. I have coughing, shortness of breath, over all tiredness and lack of motivation. I feel anxious all the time, never felt like this before unless I was ill. I am quitting this drug and taking my chances on high pressure instead. I can't believe they prescribe this to small animals that can't tell you how horrible they must feel since many are only 12 pounds whereas a person is 150 or so. They will push these drugs on anyone and anything to make a buck.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 21, 2020

For Glaucoma, Open Angle: “I am 70, live alone, and I hate having to open the eye drop bottles. I have to use vice grips and it is still nearly impossible. Further to that the plastic bottle is so firm it is difficult to squeeze the drop into my eye. Please change the packaging! The drops are effective but not if I can’t use them.”

oksana · Taken for less than 1 month March 3, 2020

Xalatan (latanoprost) for Glaucoma, Open Angle: “gives me a very red eye as well tried latanoprost this one makes my eye very dry , I never had any issues with dry eye before while using any other eye drops.”

Mairie · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 2, 2020

For Glaucoma, Open Angle: “Ended up at Optho. with high eye pressure and prescribed latanoprost. First night I had a fast heart beat. I have been fighting a strange tiredness that I barely can do anything during the day. No motivation for projects or general chores. I feel anxious most times and never did before. I have trouble catching my breath and had small trouble before but nothing like this (not a smoker). Coughing all the time. Why would an eye drop to lower pressure cause all these problems with general overall well being. I am not myself and can not live in this state of unrest and sickness. Why does it affect all these other aspects in my health? Eyes are important but so is staying healthy and being happy. I feel I will have to get off of it now to save myself from these issues”

Angel · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 30, 2020

For Glaucoma, Open Angle: “I had minor side affects at the beginning. Itchy eyelids, feeling like something was in them. I had cataract surgery and stents put in. Was glaucoma suspect. By three months my eyes were very tired and just didn’t look right. My face looked pale. Then I woke up one day with swollen sore lips. Turns out I had an allergic type reaction. Quit taking Latanaprost and now feel and look much better. Will never take it again.”

Mary · Taken for less than 1 month December 12, 2019

For Glaucoma, Open Angle: “Is anyone getting nausea? I just started two weeks ago and I'm getting nauseated so much and stomach acid”

Jon · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 8, 2019

For Glaucoma, Open Angle: “Latanoprost gives me pain around my eyeballs, where they meet the eye sockets, above and behind the eyes. It also has blurred my vision (impedes focus) & has increased my floaters, either physically or perceptually. It works against my slowly detaching retina; the decrease in IOP exacerbates a forward or inward drawing of my retina, like suction. This would explain the floaters, as coming from behind the retina edges. The drops do lower my IOP but the cure is worse than the disease in my case. I have stopped them for weeks at a time to deal with adverse effects, but have been persuaded to resume for fear of glaucoma blindness. There needs to be treatment of glaucoma's root cause: optic nerve deterioration. I am going off this med, to allow side effects to improve; I will then either seek alternative treatment, or a second opinion, or take my chances by leaving well enough alone.”

MIMI · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 17, 2019

For Glaucoma, Open Angle: “My only concern is the container for the drops. It dribbles and wastes the med. There are other containers that work better. You squeeze and get a drop without a delayed dribble”

Jon · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 23, 2019

For Glaucoma, Open Angle: “I have used latanaprost in combination with simbrinza for over 3 years for an advanced stage open angle glaucoma. These two successfully stablized eye pressure from 25 to about 15-17. After the second year, my doctor used SLT to lower it to 9-10; but after one year pressure has returned to about 15 using these same two meds. My doctor has now switched me off latanaprost to vyzulta but after one month, no change in pressure.”

Sandy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 13, 2019

For Intraocular Hypertension: “I have used Xalatan for 9 months now. I am extremely lucky as I have no side effects whatsoever. My readings at the specialist look good and I am grateful that it works. I also suffer from other chronic illnesses so am fully aware that sometimes we just have to deal with the side effects of our meds...all the best to those on this journey.”

Momma · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 31, 2019

For Intraocular Hypertension: “These drops caused TERRIBLE heart palpitations and anxiety that kept me awake at night and jittery all day long. The doctors could not figure out what was wrong and put me through numerous tests for my heart. Thinking that it could be the drops, I was prescribed a new medication. After being off this medication for a couple of weeks, the palpitations stopped and I began feeling like myself again. So thankful that this toxic medication is finally out of my body.”

Happy in TN · Taken for 10 years or more May 14, 2019

For Glaucoma, Open Angle: “I have been using latanoprost for about 14 years (originally Xalatan, switched to Latanoprost when generic became available) for glaucoma . I have never had any side effects. It has kept my eye pressures at 14 and 13 the entire time.”

Katherine · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 2, 2019

For Glaucoma, Open Angle: “I was diagnosed with increased pressure, pre-glaucoma and I was started on latanoprost two years ago. The drops dropped my pressure into normal range. One draw back: The drops did make my eyelashes grow longer, but they also made eyelashes to grow in the inner corners of the eyes, dark hair on cheeks and chin, and "crazy eyebrow" hairs to grow. I also have PCOS with some facial hair. After being on latanoprost, the facial hair got WAY worse because of the prostagladins in the formula. If you are "blessed" with extra facial hair as a female, be sure to tell your doctor. My opthamologist switched me to another drop that does not have the hair growing side effects formula.”

muffy · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 29, 2019

For Intraocular Hypertension: “I have used xalatan and also latanaprost over the last 6-7 years with no problems except for the bottle. I wish it came with a bottle that just had an eye dropper in it. The bottle is difficult because you seem to have no control on how much pressure to use - sometimes too much comes out or not enough and you press too hard. Either that or they should put more medicine in a little bigger bottle as it doesn't last a full month and the pharmacy refuses to fill it a little early as the insurance dictate how often Both xalatan and latanaprost used the same bottles. I wrote to both companies and while they responded - they said to push the bottom of he bottle to dispense. I didn't know that all this time and it helps a little. Just squeezing the bottle made it harder to manage the flow. I wish another company dispensed it.”

Stephan B · Taken for less than 1 month January 2, 2019

For Glaucoma, Open Angle: “Prescribe Latanoprost twice. The first time experienced side effects- shortness of breath, sinus problems, flu like conditions, respiratory problems. Nuclear stress test- no heart problems. Respiratory tests-passed although I cough heavily during tests. Sinus evaluation- no problem. Allergy tests- no allergies. Only conclusion- eye drops causing conditions. Improvement in pressures with laser. When pressure in left eye increased, MD recommended Xen Stint. Improved pressure from 30 to 8. When pressure increased in left eye to 25, MD recommended eye drops. Latanoprost was prescribed. Used drops for 7 days. Pressure dropped to 15, After 3 weeks still experiencing side effects- sore throat, phlegm, shortness of breath, wheezing, prolonged coughing. Side effects from eye drops- Latanoprost, Timolol, and Alphgan P significantly decreased quality of life. If you are experiencing these side effects, could be your eye drops.”

Annie Mouse · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 12, 2018

For Glaucoma, Open Angle: “No 2 generics are alike. I was on the Sandoz/CibaVision brand for 8 months. No side effects. Felt fine. My pharmacy changed the brand to Rising Pharm. Within 4 weeks, I realized this drug was making me physically ill. Fatigue, joint pain, nausea, headaches, pressure behind my eyes, sinus problems, anxiety, blurred vision, dry eye. Everything on the list of side effects. I stopped taking the drops & within days the side effects greatly subsided. A medication should not do this to a person just because it's from a different pharmaceutical company. FDA should track this information. Anyway, my doctor took my off these eye drops. Considering Selective laser trabeculoplasty (SLT).”

MEH · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 14, 2018

For Intraocular Hypertension: “New bottles of latanopropst 0.005% coming from Rising pharma leak from 2 places. Humana pharmacist actually told me instructions are merely tap the bottom of the bottle. So I said, okay; one hand to hold your eyelid, one hand to hold the bottle, where can I get hand #3? I think it is a defective bottle design or manufacturing problem. It is also the only brand that Humana pharmacy uses for home delivery.”

Wonderful454 April 13, 2018

For Glaucoma, Open Angle: “Pretty shocking medication. I ended up with early stage psychosis from taking this medication. I was fine on it for three months then became paranoid and highly suspicious of people to the point I started investigating people I worked with then approx 4 days later I went lost complete reality. I was begging for the hospital to section me. Within a week of coming off of this drug I was fine . I am writing this review not to tell you not to take this drug as I was fine on it for several months. I am just saying watch out for the signs and have a backup plan as far as medication goes. I actually lost a week of my life on this medication I became nearly completely unaware of my surroundings or what I was saying.”

Herb · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 15, 2018

For Glaucoma, Open Angle: “I been using Latanoprost for about 18 months now and I am perfectly fine with the medication, no side effects. I will be taking Latanoprost for the rest of my life.”

jerryinnh · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 30, 2017

For Glaucoma, Open Angle: “My ophthalmologist started me on this. I just saw him again yesterday and confessed that I have not been putting the drops in every night. He told me that getting glaucoma would be worse. I got a new refill since the latanoprost is not stable.”