User Reviews for Latanoprost ophthalmic to treat Glaucoma, Open Angle

Also known as: Xalatan, Xelpros

Latanoprost ophthalmic has an average rating of 5.0 out of 10 from a total of 36 ratings for the treatment of Glaucoma, Open Angle. 28% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 39% reported a negative effect.

Latanoprost ophthalmic Rating Summary

5.0/10 average rating

Compare all 44 medications used in the treatment of Glaucoma, Open Angle.

Reviews for Latanoprost ophthalmic

Mairie · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 2, 2020

“Ended up at Optho. with high eye pressure and prescribed latanoprost. First night I had a fast heart beat. I have been fighting a strange tiredness that I barely can do anything during the day. No motivation for projects or general chores. I feel anxious most times and never did before. I have trouble catching my breath and had small trouble before but nothing like this (not a smoker). Coughing all the time. Why would an eye drop to lower pressure cause all these problems with general overall well being. I am not myself and can not live in this state of unrest and sickness. Why does it affect all these other aspects in my health? Eyes are important but so is staying healthy and being happy. I feel I will have to get off of it now to save myself from these issues”

jazzie · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 27, 2020

“I was prescribed this a few months ago and have been experiencing terrible side effects. First is my vision seems to be strange in not focusing right. I had a small amount of floaters and now they are so many and much more often. My eyes sting and are red, even was brownish in the corner one morning that scared me. I have coughing, shortness of breath, over all tiredness and lack of motivation. I feel anxious all the time, never felt like this before unless I was ill. I am quitting this drug and taking my chances on high pressure instead. I can't believe they prescribe this to small animals that can't tell you how horrible they must feel since many are only 12 pounds whereas a person is 150 or so. They will push these drugs on anyone and anything to make a buck.”

Stephan B · Taken for less than 1 month January 2, 2019

“Prescribe Latanoprost twice. The first time experienced side effects- shortness of breath, sinus problems, flu like conditions, respiratory problems. Nuclear stress test- no heart problems. Respiratory tests-passed although I cough heavily during tests. Sinus evaluation- no problem. Allergy tests- no allergies. Only conclusion- eye drops causing conditions. Improvement in pressures with laser. When pressure in left eye increased, MD recommended Xen Stint. Improved pressure from 30 to 8. When pressure increased in left eye to 25, MD recommended eye drops. Latanoprost was prescribed. Used drops for 7 days. Pressure dropped to 15, After 3 weeks still experiencing side effects- sore throat, phlegm, shortness of breath, wheezing, prolonged coughing. Side effects from eye drops- Latanoprost, Timolol, and Alphgan P significantly decreased quality of life. If you are experiencing these side effects, could be your eye drops.”

Jon · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 8, 2019

“Latanoprost gives me pain around my eyeballs, where they meet the eye sockets, above and behind the eyes. It also has blurred my vision (impedes focus) & has increased my floaters, either physically or perceptually. It works against my slowly detaching retina; the decrease in IOP exacerbates a forward or inward drawing of my retina, like suction. This would explain the floaters, as coming from behind the retina edges. The drops do lower my IOP but the cure is worse than the disease in my case. I have stopped them for weeks at a time to deal with adverse effects, but have been persuaded to resume for fear of glaucoma blindness. There needs to be treatment of glaucoma's root cause: optic nerve deterioration. I am going off this med, to allow side effects to improve; I will then either seek alternative treatment, or a second opinion, or take my chances by leaving well enough alone.”

Gorby · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 10, 2017

“After using for one month noticed cloudy vision, runny nose, sore throat, joint pain and general fatigue. Finally realized all these side effects were from the drops and stopped using them. All above mentioned side effects began to abate after 48 hours. This stuff is poison. People don’t usually think that eye drops affects anything other than eyes. They are wrong. Very wrong.”

Happy in TN · Taken for 10 years or more May 14, 2019

“I have been using latanoprost for about 14 years (originally Xalatan, switched to Latanoprost when generic became available) for glaucoma . I have never had any side effects. It has kept my eye pressures at 14 and 13 the entire time.”

Katherine · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 2, 2019

“I was diagnosed with increased pressure, pre-glaucoma and I was started on latanoprost two years ago. The drops dropped my pressure into normal range. One draw back: The drops did make my eyelashes grow longer, but they also made eyelashes to grow in the inner corners of the eyes, dark hair on cheeks and chin, and "crazy eyebrow" hairs to grow. I also have PCOS with some facial hair. After being on latanoprost, the facial hair got WAY worse because of the prostagladins in the formula. If you are "blessed" with extra facial hair as a female, be sure to tell your doctor. My opthamologist switched me to another drop that does not have the hair growing side effects formula.”

Annie Mouse · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 12, 2018

“No 2 generics are alike. I was on the Sandoz/CibaVision brand for 8 months. No side effects. Felt fine. My pharmacy changed the brand to Rising Pharm. Within 4 weeks, I realized this drug was making me physically ill. Fatigue, joint pain, nausea, headaches, pressure behind my eyes, sinus problems, anxiety, blurred vision, dry eye. Everything on the list of side effects. I stopped taking the drops & within days the side effects greatly subsided. A medication should not do this to a person just because it's from a different pharmaceutical company. FDA should track this information. Anyway, my doctor took my off these eye drops. Considering Selective laser trabeculoplasty (SLT).”

Wonderful454 April 13, 2018

“Pretty shocking medication. I ended up with early stage psychosis from taking this medication. I was fine on it for three months then became paranoid and highly suspicious of people to the point I started investigating people I worked with then approx 4 days later I went lost complete reality. I was begging for the hospital to section me. Within a week of coming off of this drug I was fine . I am writing this review not to tell you not to take this drug as I was fine on it for several months. I am just saying watch out for the signs and have a backup plan as far as medication goes. I actually lost a week of my life on this medication I became nearly completely unaware of my surroundings or what I was saying.”

Macie1278 October 25, 2016

“I have been taking this eye drop for 5-6 years. When it went generic it was ok for the first few years. My pharmacist gets different generic brands-seems some brands are different than others-some burn the crap out of my eyes-One thing I will say about this drug-I have had a sore throat for the last 3 years-I continually sneeze-a lot of sinus problems- stuffy nose-sometimes even drips water like drippings when I bend over. I hate this. I have asked my eye dr. & he says-well-it should not cause a sore throat-hello -it most certainly does. I think it even causes blurred vision. I don't like these eye drops-but I don't want to go blind.”

Angel · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 30, 2020

“I had minor side affects at the beginning. Itchy eyelids, feeling like something was in them. I had cataract surgery and stents put in. Was glaucoma suspect. By three months my eyes were very tired and just didn’t look right. My face looked pale. Then I woke up one day with swollen sore lips. Turns out I had an allergic type reaction. Quit taking Latanaprost and now feel and look much better. Will never take it again.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 21, 2020

“I am 70, live alone, and I hate having to open the eye drop bottles. I have to use vice grips and it is still nearly impossible. Further to that the plastic bottle is so firm it is difficult to squeeze the drop into my eye. Please change the packaging! The drops are effective but not if I can’t use them.”

Anonymous June 1, 2011

Xalatan (latanoprost): “I have been on this medication for over 5 years with no side effects and it has lowered my eye pressure. I rate this medication more favorably than Betoptic which I was previously on which was less effective and always left a stain on my face/eye area after it dried.”

chancesare August 28, 2016

“Second time on this eye drop. First time for a few days. I stopped taking because it made me feel physically sick. Second time I gave it a go for almost 3 weeks, i got so sick i went to the Dr with flu like symptoms, waking up with phlegm in my throat, joint pain, extreme sweating and the feeling like I'm about to faint. OMG.. it really scared me. so i stopped it and now I'm back to normal, still have eye problems but that is 100% better than the solutions, which is taking that eye drops. It is very dangerous.”

Jod · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 10, 2021

“I am 52 years old, great shape and on no other meds. After about 4 months being on latanoprost I realized my joints hurt, like shoulders, hips & knees (I had ACL surgery years ago). I felt so stiff and sore and couldn't figure it out. Eye Dr nurse said she never heard of that before & pharmacist said a small % showed muscle and joint pain. That has gotten a little better... but I can't tell you how fatigued I am. I have NO ENERGY TO DO ANYTHING. I could sit all day long... that's not me!! I had a hard time believing two eye drops at night would do this, until I read all these reviews. Thank you for your time, everyone. I hope mine message helps someone. I'll go back to Dr and see if another Rx is an option, just to see if I get my energy back & joints feeling better. It's a fine line between that and treating my glaucoma....(!?) My pressure went from 21/22 to 18/17, so not as low as he wanted, he may switch me for that reason.”

shiney bill June 19, 2013

Xalatan (latanoprost): “After 4-5 months on the med, I am having problem of discomfort in one eye. Feels like foreign body. Cannot use latanoprost two days straight as left eye feels like I have something in it. I am seeing doctor tomorrow. Hope he can fix the problem.”

RBill · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 16, 2020

“Used Sandoz, made by Akorn in Ft. Worth, for 3 1/2 years with great success in lowering eye pressure. Went from 22 to 25 down to 12 to 14. Humana Pharmacy switched supplier to Rising made in India. After using, for 3 months, went back to eye doctor for checkup and pressures were all the way back into the low to mid 20's. Switched to others and have now settled on Lumigan, costs dramatically higher, plus Timolol Maleate in one eye only twice a day. Glad to see another commenter on here having the same issue after Humana switching source. I have suspected all along it was the quality of source and not the actual drug. Positive it was cheaper for them. Incidentally other than eyelashes growing longer, did not have any of the other side-effects mentioned in the posts below. Do understand the frustration in the packaging. Hard to get open with arthritic hands.”

Mary · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 15, 2021

“I was prescribed Latanoprost for elevated eye pressure due to the beginning stages of glaucoma. After reading the reviews, I have to admit I was skeptical about this medication. However I thought, I won't know if this will work for me if I don't try. Been on the drops for a month, and followed directions. So far no side effects at all. I keep my meds in the fridge, even though the package say you don't have to. But no stinging, burning, blurred vision, dry eye, runny nose, heart palpitations, shoulder or any muscular pain, etc. The drops are easy to use. The only reason I rated this med a 5 is because I have not been back for my follow up yet. I will update.”

lyrs · Taken for less than 1 month May 29, 2016

“After taking a week of drops, experienced joint and muscle pain. At two weeks, chest pains sent me to the hospital. They kept me for two days until pain subsided and extensive tests were done and it was determined I did not have any blockages. I will not take it again.”

Jon · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 23, 2019

“I have used latanaprost in combination with simbrinza for over 3 years for an advanced stage open angle glaucoma. These two successfully stablized eye pressure from 25 to about 15-17. After the second year, my doctor used SLT to lower it to 9-10; but after one year pressure has returned to about 15 using these same two meds. My doctor has now switched me off latanaprost to vyzulta but after one month, no change in pressure.”

Drops A. Lot · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 13, 2016

“I am in my 30s and I have glaucoma, with very high eye pressure. My doctor considered surgery, but decided to try latanoprost first. I am so glad he did because these drops work very well to lower my eye pressure. They don't make my eyes burn, like some of the other drops that my doctor used to prescribe. Also, they keep my eyes from being red in the morning and they keep me from getting pressure headaches. The primary negative is that I will have to use them for the rest of my life.”

Joma January 31, 2021

“I took latanoprost and I believe it made my digestive sphincters malfunction. Except for glaucoma, I’ve always been healthy, on no meds and with good annual physicals. I’ve never had heartburn before. I have developed straining with pooping that started shortly after, trouble swallowing that started after four months, then heartburn acid indigestion, the feeling like ulcers are described, and acid reflux—I used Maalox and when I took an antacid, my stomach burned like I had more ulcers, throat burned, saliva burned and my mouth tastes like bile. I think the sphincter leading to my duodenum was also malfunctioning. I am going to the doctor to get an endoscopy to see the extent of the reflux next week.”

Lucky · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 9, 2020

“I have taken latanoprost for over 3 months now my left eyes feel like something in it and it burn and now I cannot stand to watch T.V. because the light hurt my eyes. I am trying to change my eye drop but it good for getting your pressure down but cannot watch T.V. ever again”

Stampede Queen · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 16, 2021

“I have been prescribed latanoprost and received the Greenstone brand. This was to replace the Dorzolamide HCI and Timolol Maleate which caused a severe drop in O2 and wheezing. I wound up in the hospital (I have ongoing lung issues and should never have been prescribed that). The new Dr. prescribed latanoprost. At first I thought it was okay. But I developed pretty severe night sweats about the same time. I didn't put it together at first... but just looked it up, and sure enough (buried in the literature). I've also had lower O2, just not as bad as the Timolol, and sinus issues, chills, jaw pain and anxiety. PAY ATTENTION! It's hard to believe that eye drops can affect so many things, but they have a direct pathway into your body. They are DESIGNED to lower "pressure" so that should be a clue. It's interesting to note the differences between manufacturers. It seems that medicines are not as regulated as they should be, I wish that we made our own medicines in this country!”

JPWhiteHome · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 24, 2016

“Very effective at first, but I maybe coming off this and going onto something else. It seems my eyes have a mind of their own and outfox the medications and I cycle through different meds to reduce eye pressure. It feels like I have an object in my eye sometimes after putting the drops in. Passes soon enough.”