User Reviews for Ibuprofen to treat Sciatica

Also known as: Advil, Motrin, Motrin IB, Children's Motrin, Advil Liqui-Gels, Motrin Childrens, Nuprin, Advil Children's, Proprinal, Advil Migraine, NeoProfen, Caldolor, Addaprin, Midol IB, Childrens Ibuprofen Berry, Advil Infant's Concentrated Drops, Genpril, IBU-200, A-G Profen, Advil Junior Strength, Midol Maximum Strength Cramp Formula Actiprofen Motrin Migraine Pain PediaCare Infants' IB Ibuprofen Pain Reliever/Fever Reducer PediaCare Children's IB Ibuprofen Pain Reliever/Fever Reducer Motrin Junior Strength Motrin Infant Drops Help I Have An Aching Body Children's ElixSure IB Cap-Profen Motrin Pediatric Advil Film-Coated …show all brand names

Ibuprofen has an average rating of 6.8 out of 10 from a total of 10 ratings for the treatment of Sciatica. 50% of those users who reviewed Ibuprofen reported a positive effect, while 20% reported a negative effect.

Ibuprofen Rating Summary

6.8/10 average rating

Compare all 86 medications used in the treatment of Sciatica.

Reviews for Ibuprofen

dlc · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 30, 2020

Advil (ibuprofen): “This is my first experience with sciatica...but its been 3 months. I am now taking Advil 2 capsules in the morning and 1 at night. I would like to stop but it helps too much.”

Syl711 · Taken for less than 1 month August 20, 2020

Advil (ibuprofen): “Taking Advil 800 mgs 3 times a day and it’s passable. For me it’s about staying ahead of the pain.”

maxine12 · Taken for less than 1 month March 13, 2020

“I had excruciating pain in both legs after slipping down a few stairs.It lasted about a week and at that time I decided to go to hospital. It was sciatica. I was told to take Ibuprofen for 3 days. I believe 600mg every 8 hours and I couldn't believe how great I felt. I have it again and just taking two 200mg every 8 hours and starting to feel relief. This time was probably worse.”

Suzyqszoo · Taken for less than 1 month March 10, 2016

“800 mg helped with my pain. It takes about an hour to work then pain is manageable. I have minimal side effects, a little headachy and slightly tired. I can take this and get relief without feeling drugged.”

Mark P M August 16, 2009

“I am 35 year old male with moderate to severe sciatica (pain from buttock to ankle) due to bulging disc L5 - S1. I found taking a 400mg dose gave significant but not total relief for about 2 to 3 hours. The effect was greater if the pain was not too severe, the best results came from taking ibuprofen before the pain got severe. I also found that taking Ibuprofen without food made it work faster but I suffered moderate diarrhea as a consequence.”

JanieRock February 14, 2017

“I have severe sciatica that is absolutely devastating to my lifestyle. I drive a lot and the pain is excruciating. 800mg of Ibuprofen provides relief in about an hour to an hour and a half and from a dose to pain returning is about 3 to 3 and a half hours. It's not much, but it's the only think giving me a respite from what is otherwise excruciating pain. I'm starting to get routine heartburn for the first time in years after taking this routinely for three months. Starting to worry about the stomach side effects. Can also be hard on the kidneys.”

PMcFee · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 22, 2017

“Extra strength (400 mg) liqui-gels are the only thing that seems to help with my sciatica. They do more than the Lyrica, delayed release naproxen, Tylenol 2's, and Extra Strength Tylenols combined. I take a high dose but do not want to take narcotics and I have to be able to leave a half-way normal life.”

patcee14 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 29, 2018

“I have been taking ibuprofen and gabapentin for two months. I have decided to take just ibuprofen because of the side effects of gabapentin, but I am leary of the reports of heart attacks from ibuprofen. Anyone with information on this?”

LowD · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 16, 2017

“I have been an avid user of ibuprofen until this month 6/2017. It worked wonders for my sciatic nerve pain until it stopped working and seemed to make my pain worse. I found out I had an extreme vitamin D deficiency of 9 (normal range 30-100). I started reading about the side effects and found I had several of them to include elevated liver enzymes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure. The ibuprofen that I thought was helping actually depleted my vitamin D which is in a case study for my age group 47 and long term use of anti inflammatorys is been known to deplete vitamin D. Vitamin D deficiency can be cause by long term use of ibuprofen and can cause muscle and bone pain.”

BE · Taken for less than 1 month October 5, 2019

“I have mild sciatica pain from time to time but after picking up my 25 pound granddaughter during a recent visit, and pulling a muscle in my hip, I developed sciatica so painful I literally could not sit down. My doctor suggested ice and heat and an Advil regimen. I started taking two Advil three times a day (200 mg tablets) and did this for six days. The pain just didn’t diminish. My doctor then prescribed a muscle relaxer so I started taking it while continuing with the Advil. Still no real improvement. I decided to stop the Advil as my son-in-law told me it was not good to take too much of it for a lengthy time. Well, after 24 hours of not taking the Advil I felt so much better!! I’m able to actually sit in a chair with no pain! I don’t know if the Advil was interfering with the muscle relaxer (baclofen) or whether it simply had not ever worked for me and I didn’t realize it.”

Davee3 October 13, 2009

Advil (ibuprofen): “Taking up to 800mg Ibuprofen for persistent sciatica. It is more effective than Tylenol with codeine which didn't help - relief lasting about 1 hour. ”

deedle July 26, 2019

“In an eight hour period, I'd take 1600mgs of ibuprofen and not feel an improvement”

Anonymous May 27, 2012

“I would suggest taking Naproxen rather than Ibuprofen for this. 500 mg of Naproxen works. I have tried both and Naproxen is superior. Ibuprofen does nothing for me.”

Learn more about Sciatica