User Reviews for Ibuprofen

Also known as: A-G Profen, Actiprofen, Addaprin, Advil, Advil Children's, Advil Film-Coated, Advil Infant's Concentrated Drops, Advil Junior Strength, Advil Liqui-Gels, Advil Migraine, Caldolor, Cap-Profen, Children's ElixSure IB, Children's Motrin, Childrens Ibuprofen Berry, Genpril, Haltran, Help I Have An Aching Body, IBU, IBU-200, Ibu-4, Ibu-6, Ibu-8, Ibu-Tab, Ibuprofen PMR, Menadol, Midol IB, Midol Maximum Strength Cramp Formula, Motrin, Motrin Childrens, Motrin IB, Motrin Infant Drops, Motrin Junior Strength, Motrin Migraine Pain, Motrin Pediatric, NeoProfen, Nuprin, PediaCare Children's IB Ibuprofen Pain Reliever/Fever Reducer, PediaCare Infants' IB Ibuprofen Pain Reliever/Fever Reducer, Proprinal, Q-Profen, Rufen, Saleto-200, Saleto-400, Saleto-600, Saleto-800 …show all brand names

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Ibuprofen.

Ibuprofen Rating Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 108 medications used in the treatment of Sciatica.

Reviews for Ibuprofen to treat Sciatica

"Extra strength (400 mg) liqui-gels are the only thing that seems to help with my sciatica. They do more than the Lyrica, delayed release naproxen, Tylenol 2's, and Extra Strength Tylenols combined. I take a high dose but do not want to take narcotics and I have to be able to leave a half-way normal life."

PMcFee (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been an avid user of ibuprofen until this month 6/2017. It worked wonders for my sciatic nerve pain until it stopped working and seemed to make my pain worse. I found out I had an extreme vitamin D deficiency of 9 (normal range 30-100). I started reading about the side effects and found I had several of them to include elevated liver enzymes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure. The ibuprofen that I thought was helping actually depleted my vitamin D which is in a case study for my age group 47 and long term use of anti inflammatorys is been known to deplete vitamin D. Vitamin D deficiency can be cause by long term use of ibuprofen and can cause muscle and bone pain."

LowD (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have severe sciatica that is absolutely devastating to my lifestyle. I drive a lot and the pain is excruciating. 800mg of Ibuprofen provides relief in about an hour to an hour and a half and from a dose to pain returning is about 3 to 3 and a half hours. It's not much, but it's the only think giving me a respite from what is otherwise excruciating pain. I'm starting to get routine heartburn for the first time in years after taking this routinely for three months. Starting to worry about the stomach side effects. Can also be hard on the kidneys."

JanieRock February 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"800 mg helped with my pain. It takes about an hour to work then pain is manageable. I have minimal side effects, a little headachy and slightly tired. I can take this and get relief without feeling drugged."

Suzyqszoo (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I would suggest taking Naproxen rather than Ibuprofen for this. 500 mg of Naproxen works. I have tried both and Naproxen is superior. Ibuprofen does nothing for me."

Anonymous May 27, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Advil (ibuprofen): "Taking up to 800mg Ibuprofen for persistent sciatica. It is more effective than Tylenol with codeine which didn't help - relief lasting about 1 hour. "

Davee3 October 13, 2009

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 35 year old male with moderate to severe sciatica (pain from buttock to ankle) due to bulging disc L5 - S1. I found taking a 400mg dose gave significant but not total relief for about 2 to 3 hours. The effect was greater if the pain was not too severe, the best results came from taking ibuprofen before the pain got severe. I also found that taking Ibuprofen without food made it work faster but I suffered moderate diarrhea as a consequence."

Mark P M August 16, 2009