User Reviews for Hydrochlorothiazide/lisinopril

High Blood Pressure
5.9

Reviews for Hydrochlorothiazide/lisinopril

mooneymom · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 28, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I have been on lisinopril 20mg for over a year now, it worked at first in lowering my blood pressure, it went from 155/99 down to about 135/80- not too bad, but my BP went back up and so we added hydrochlorothiazide and it dropped..... a lot within 3 days it was at 125/87. So far no side effects, but I have a noticed an increase in muscle cramps, charley horse painful ones. Not sure what to do about the cramping. I'll do some research and see if I need to eat something that will reduce the cramping. My doctor does test me frequently for kidney function, but so far no negative effects on my kidneys.”

CK December 16, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I started this drug combo hydrochlorothiazide with lisinopril 3 years ago and I didn’t realize what it was doing to me. I began to suffer serious joint pain, numbness / tingling in hands and feet and overall muscle pain which continued to increase over the last 3 years. The Dr diagnosed me with an auto immune disorder as I went from a perfectly healthy 55-year-old male to a crippled in 3 years. I couldn’t do anything. Through experimentation and never wanting to accept that I just all of a sudden had succumb to an auto immune disease I began eliminating supplements, drugs and foods from my diet 2 weeks ago I finally weaned off of lisinopril and I am 100% sure that this was the cause of ALL of my ailments. I am on the road to a full recovery as every day my symptoms are improving significantly and are mostly gone. My life was ruined for 3 years on this drug. Stay Away from it or at least be aware of the symptoms early on so you can stop it.”

Yoski · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 28, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “It has my whole body cramping arm, leg feet all over charley horses”

timberwulff April 4, 2013

For High Blood Pressure: “I am presently on Lisinopril HCTZ and for a while I was doing well then I got upped from 10/12.5 to 20/25 and within a month of using I have headaches, dizziness, nausea, the cough *sometimes to the point of falling over* I can't seem to make my brain work the way I need it to, and my whole body hurts. My blood pressure is down, no question about that, but this is freaking me out.”

Terry · Taken for less than 1 month March 4, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “I was taking this drug for high blood pressure. I took it for about a month noticed coughing really bad, back pain really bad, flu like symptoms. I stopped taking it and could not understand when I explained to the doctor he would say it must be something else. Now I see all these reviews saying the same coughing and other side effects I don’t know what’s going on. Where is the United States is getting their medicine from? But I have surely noticed the medicine now is like poison - really no good. Is it a money game or what? Very disappointed with doctors and medication now days must try to find a natural source. I thought the medicine was going to kill me”

Ekokai · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 4, 2013

For High Blood Pressure: “My blood pressure was 170/100. Doctor gave me a 10mg per day prescription and within hours of taking the first pill, my BP was 108/70. I was super lightheaded for the first 4 days when I walked, and I have an occasional cough. After 6 weeks of hovering around 117/79, I reduced myself to 5 mg per day, and my BP is now 102/77 as of today. I eat healthy and walk an average of 5 miles every day for exercise but remain stubbornly overweight.”

Deezie December 28, 2011

For High Blood Pressure: “My MD wanted me to take Lisinopril rather than Lotensin, for some reason. It sure worked well in lowering blood pressure but the side effects were a pain in the neck. I was taking 20/25 mg and was dizzy, headachy, awfully tired all the time, stomach upset, aching all day in my feet so that I could hardly walk, as well as other side effects. On my own I cut it down in half and feel much better. My blood pressure is still on the low side, but these miserable side effects have finally let up. Guess I'd better tell the doctor. ”

Drea · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 24, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “While on this medicine I experienced back and neck pain and coughing headache. And always tired and sleepy is there someone who can relate. I sleepy all the time make me restful I don't like that lazy feeling.”

MS E · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 20, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: “As I struggled with side affects from this drug I looked for others who were experiencing the same issues. Yes I had the cough but the stomach upset was the worst. Didn't see that this was a problem with others. My doctor said the med could not cause the constant explosive diarrhea I was experiencing. I took imodiom and started ulcer meds. I then submitted a stool sample and was looking at an endoscopy. My instincts said it had to be the drug so after 3 months of misery I got on a new bp drug and stomach is fine!!! So angry that the doc didn't listen to me sooner and kept saying I had a virus or food poisoning. So yes this drug does cause terrible stomach issues for some people so I hope this helps someone else who is dealing what I was. DON'T WAIT 3 months to get a different drug!”

Lyleminn August 16, 2013

For High Blood Pressure: “The only problems I had were frequent trips to the restroom but my blood pressure is under control and I've never experienced any of the things people are complaining about. I would say try it and if you don't like it or react badly try one of the many other options.”

Susie13 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 29, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: “Explosive watery diarrhea, without warning, no cramping, no stomach upset it just pours out of me without notice. I have take Immodium like candy while I'm working. Leg cramps, almost every night. I thought medicines were supposed to make you better, not worse. It has helped my BP, but it has made the rest of my life awful. I tell my doctor and nothing. She does nothing.”

SFGiant · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 31, 2014

For High Blood Pressure: “I am 56. I have partied a lot having grown up in LA and Hawaii. Lifestyle payback is high blood pressure. I ignored all drs advice because I was going to the gym everyday and surfing and trail running. But I started a new job and have Kaiser. The nurse took my blood pressure. Her eyes betrayed her calm...she took me aside and asked if I drank. Yes, a lot of red wine. She didn't even want me to go to lobby and wait and asked if I wanted to wait in doc's office. I guess my blood pressure freaked her out, like 180/100. Anyway he talked into 12.5 lisinopril/hydrochlorothiazide and said take 1/2 tab a day. Unreal! In one day my blood pressure, I take it at home, was in the 117/75 range. Immediate gratification.”

Lee · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 7, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I have been taking 5 mg Lisinopril for a year and thought it was great, at first. It was effective at lowering my blood pressure, however lately when sleeping, I have had such extreme muscle cramps in my legs, I thought it was the end of me. This went on for many months until I found online that muscle cramps were a side effect of this drug. I stopped taking it and now take my old drug Atenenol. The night after I stopped taking Lisinopril, I have had no more leg cramps.”

foxy1 December 9, 2009

For High Blood Pressure: “Although Lisinopril-Hydrochlorothiazide worked very well for lowering my blood pressure and not causing swelling there were some problems that have caused me to seek a different solution to my high BP. The first thing that occurred was sudden, painful night leg cramps. This happened each night from 1 to 5 times. I also had new painful attacks of arthritis in my toes and instep. I also had warnings of kidney stone formation and crystals in my urine. Finally, I experienced heaviness in my legs that made it difficult to walk quickly.”

mark416 January 11, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: “Dreadful experience, even after just 8 days. Itchy face, sharp pin-like pain in eye, severe foot and leg cramps, sharp pin-like pain in heels. frozen feet and hands, mind numbing pain in left kidney, general feeling of illness and debility. Honestly, I thought this drug would kill me. Immediately after stopping the drug, all of the above symptoms cleared up. I felt like a guinea pig, tortured with each dose. Awaiting a visit with my Dr. to discuss dietary and lifestyle changes I'm putting into effect without toxic chemicals.”

Wordybirdie · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 13, 2012

For High Blood Pressure: “The only side effect that might be causing a problem for me is that I cannot keep my potassium in proper range while on this medication. It is wonderful for my blood pressure, but I do need to drink lots of water with this medicine to stay hydrated.”

Shards August 20, 2011

For High Blood Pressure: “Was on Toprol for a long time and was having to constantly increase the dosage. My doctor switched me to this and I immediately noted a great balance of blood pressure. Went from 145/98 to 127/78 (ish). Only side effects I have noted are ones that are easily cured with water intake. I get the cough and am lethargic and dizzy when working in the yard (I live in Texas so it's a billion degrees outside). Both of these however are mitigated with increased water intake. I drink flavored water throughout the day and these side effects have subsided. Very happy with this medicine.”

selena · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 23, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “same as someone else posted, this hydrochlorothiazide/lisinopril destroyed my kidneys at the end of it-my doctor refused to simply listen and wean me off from it. I truly felt that this medication was damaging me, but fear of stroking out and believing the fable that stopping these drugs WILL cause "rebound" back to the extremes that got you on it kept me taking it. On hydrochlorothiazide with lisinopril had tremors, insomnia, extreme fatigue, severe muscle aches and pains, even at time feeling impending DOOM - you name IT - finally was seen chronic renal failure ! I was switched over to another garbage losartan then I finally tapered that off and am FINISHED with these drugs and THOSE prescribing them and truly went through a form of withdrawal after about being off losartan for about a week=extreme sweats and fatigue-finally FREE and feeling better but still with chronic renal failure up to stage 4 now--THANK YOU lisinopril AND losartan. garbage drugs.”

Me · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 15, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I used lisinopril for approx 4 years with no noticeable negative effects, suddenly I began having severe nausea and lack of energy, I attributed it to the heat at the time. It didn't appear to make a difference what I ate, or drank, it came back up, then I started to feel dizzy upon standing, and noticed an inability to see anything but white fog until the dizziness disappeared. I finally went to the Dr who did blood work. Next morning I was given a diagnosis of end stage renal failure. I was in stage 4. The first thing he did was take me off lisinopril, which he said was the culprit. He then referred me to a nephrologist who confirmed his thought and he started me on Tekturna. Luckily and to his astonishment the kidney disease regressed from stage 4 to stage 2. I am fortunate this drug didn't finish me off, but I now have permanent kidney disease, and can't take anything metabolised through the kidney. Avoid this medication at any cost, it is dangerous”

chet · Taken for 10 years or more March 12, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: “took lisinopril hydrochlorothiazide had a reaction after 15 years, throat swelling toung swelling. Dr said he thought it was lisinopril, so now just HCZ. So stopped taking it because I now have ringing in my ears and my ears are plugged as if I was on an air plane.... Bottom line, We don't have high bp because of lack of drugs ! they are all poision and just keep the big pharma in business as well as the "DR'S". I no longer can put faith in western "medicine ". '”

Rob C July 26, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: “Don't take any medicine unless it's absolutely necessary. I've taken this for 5 years..... Extreme dizziness especially when working out. Brain fog was incredible and your hair may also thin. It's not a good experience at all. I stopped the medicine a little while ago and now control my blood pressure w diet and exercise (without the feeling I am passing out)”

Jeremy10q0q0qpq December 31, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: “The vast majority of effects are caused by dehydration. This medication rids your body of more water than your body would normally be carrying so you have to drink more water. Water works the best I feel better almost immediately once drinking a glass.”

5150 June 17, 2011

For High Blood Pressure: “I have been taking Lisinoprol 20/HCTZ12.5 for about a year now. I took it before and then switched medicines because of the coughing side effect of the Lisinopril. The new medicine did not provide the same results so I switched back. I have the cough off and on, sometimes it is pretty strong for a few minutes. It goes away and recently has been minimal. The only other side effect I notice is dizziness or light headedness sometimes. I started taking the pill late morning after eating breakfast. The side effects seem to be much better for the most part.”

Maggie O · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 25, 2017

For High Blood Pressure: “I was prescribed this medication at 20mg and took it for 10 years. I never associated the drug with my constant cough and breathing problems and neither did any physician. I was even hospitalized and tested for everything. Diagnosed over the years with asthma, gout and high blood sugar. I had complete work up and heart cath and there was nothing. I had many pulmonary work ups and all the treatments. Who puts up with years of coughing? Avoiding social situations, close contact, speaking engagements. I tried everything. FINALLY, an allergist said it was my meds. Stopped taking this drug and within 10 days I was as good as new. Terrible drug for me!”

jvwarren · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 24, 2017

For High Blood Pressure: “Read all prescriptions profiles provided by pharmacy! Have taken drug for 3+ years and by accident learned I hadve side effects to it. I have experienced 80% of all adverse reactions listed; the worse being constant copious amounts of choking mucus/phlegm from throat/sinus, asthmatic bronchitis, severe fatigue, etc. Never in a million years would I have guessed it was Lisinopril, but just happened to be out of the medication for 3 days and woke up on the 3rd day without any of the choking phlegm in my throat & bronchial tract every morning for the past 3+ years. Current Doc (who didn't initially prescribe drug) is thrilled to discover the culprit he's been searching for 2+ years! Good-bye erroneous early-stage COPD diagnoses, I'm cured!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 19, 2012

For High Blood Pressure: “Lisinopril 10 for 1 day, plus thyroid medicine and not eating or drinking enough, so I blacked out. Dr couldn't get blood pressure because it was too low. Pain in shoulders, stuffy nose, hard swallowing, cramp in foot. Dr said to wait 3-5 days then start with half dose.”

Anonymous August 23, 2009

Prinzide (hydrochlorothiazide / lisinopril) for High Blood Pressure: “I have been taking this medicine since age 46. I am now 60. Although I have had a steadily increasing dose over the years (now 20/25 twice/day), my pressure has been controlled from an initial 155/90 to its present 125/80. I have had virtually no side effects, although due to the high dosage of hydrochlorothiazide, I have to be careful not to overdue the sun exposure.”

Jean · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 1, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: “I was on this first about 8-10 years. It did help blood pressure but just a tad. Had daily diarrhea first thing in the morning, ongoing sinus issues (woke up most mornings with a sinus headache), zero tears, etc. After a sudden onset of several eye floaters in one eye, I did some research and stopped taking it. About a week after stopping, I woke up with my eyes oozing thick fluid. I thought my eyes were leaking ocular fluid. It was tears!!! Eyes floaters considerable lessened after two weeks. Have switched to low dose Losartan. So far, the only effect I've noticed is a slight headache and sleepiness ( so I take it will dinner). However, the last few days, the effects have not occurred at all. Hopefully, Losartan will work better for me.”