User Reviews for Hydrochlorothiazide / lisinopril

Also known as: Prinzide, Zestoretic

Learn more about Hydrochlorothiazide/lisinopril.

Hydrochlorothiazide/lisinopril Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 347 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Hydrochlorothiazide/lisinopril to treat High Blood Pressure

"Headaches. Dry eyes. Aches. Excruciating pain in feet. Insomnia This stuff is poison."

Zoesmeme July 28, 2016

"I was on atenolol for 15 yrs with leg swelling, facial swelling, headaches, joint aches, insomnia, no restful sleep, erratic bp in maybe 1 hr. Switched to lis/hctz 10/12.5 3 yrs ago. The only pill I take. BP steady 125/80. Throat sore, swelling closed, mouth breather, headache 12 hr after taking, tinnitis, dizzy when rising, the began Vertigo, real vertigo. Dr said food allergy, stopped lin/hctz for 3 days = BP high, no tinitis, no dizzy, no headache. 3 days ago had bleeding floater in left eye. This morning Optamologist said lin/hhctz can effect floater and maculer degeneration. Deciding what to do.... lose 50 pounds and get off drug! Or put up with side effects and go blind?"

Emmit Fitzhume April 4, 2016

"Dreadful experience, even after just 8 days. Itchy face, sharp pin-like pain in eye, severe foot and leg cramps, sharp pin-like pain in heels. frozen feet and hands, mind numbing pain in left kidney, general feeling of illness and debility. Honestly, I thought this drug would kill me. Immediately after stopping the drug, all of the above symptoms cleared up. I felt like a guinea pig, tortured with each dose. Awaiting a visit with my Dr. to discuss dietary and lifestyle changes I'm putting into effect without toxic chemicals."

mark416 January 11, 2016

"This medication seems to work for me. No side effects thus far that I am aware of. Have been taking this med a long while."

Angelah234 December 31, 2015

Zestoretic (hydrochlorothiazide / lisinopril): "I have been taking zestoretic 20-25 mg along with norvasc 5 mg for 30 years....brand only as my original doctor prescribed and have never had any more issues with my high blood pressure. The generics released medication more up front than zestoretic brand and I would wake up with severe headaches. Zestoretic along with the norvasc was perfect. My blood pressure is normal and I have no signs of any side effects after all these years...I am now in my 70's. I do have to avoid being out in the hot sun for extended periods of time as it does make me a little dizzy, and I have to drink lots of fluids, but a small price to have my blood pressure under complete control."

FL Gal November 16, 2015

"I was on lisinopril 10 mg for years and years but my BP kept going up. On Monday the Doctor started me on lisinopril 20/25 because my BP was 180/110. This ok the meds Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday without problems. Friday I fainted but thought I was sick, Saturday I fainted again 1.5 hours after taking the dose. Don't know if I should drop back down to 10 mg for Sunday and Monday but will be going into the office first thing Monday morning!"

High BP famiy (taken for less than 1 month) September 26, 2015

"Side effects = Muscle pain and weakness!"

Anonymous August 12, 2015

"Don't take any medicine unless it's absolutely necessary. I've taken this for 5 years..... Extreme dizziness especially when working out. Brain fog was incredible and your hair may also thin. It's not a good experience at all. I stopped the medicine a little while ago and now control my blood pressure w diet and exercise (without the feeling I am passing out)"

Rob C July 26, 2015

"was taking benazepril 40mg two times a day. My Dad was taking this so I tried it. Works great. I've found that if I split the dose 20-12.5 in two parts, half in morning and half in evening, it works best. 120/70. NO SIDE EFFECTS."

Christofer (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 16, 2015

"It works good."

p dog July 10, 2014

"I am 56. I have partied a lot having grown up in LA and Hawaii. Lifestyle payback is high blood pressure. I ignored all drs advice because I was going to the gym everyday and surfing and trail running. But I started a new job and have Kaiser. The nurse took my blood pressure. Her eyes betrayed her calm...she took me aside and asked if I drank. Yes, a lot of red wine. She didn't even want me to go to lobby and wait and asked if I wanted to wait in doc's office. I guess my blood pressure freaked her out, like 180/100. Anyway he talked into 12.5 lisinopril/hydrochlorothiazide and said take 1/2 tab a day. Unreal! In one day my blood pressure, I take it at home, was in the 117/75 range. Immediate gratification."

SFGiant (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 31, 2014

"My blood pressure was 170/100. Doctor gave me a 10mg per day prescription and within hours of taking the first pill, my BP was 108/70. I was super lightheaded for the first 4 days when I walked, and I have an occasional cough. After 6 weeks of hovering around 117/79, I reduced myself to 5 mg per day, and my BP is now 102/77 as of today. I eat healthy and walk an average of 5 miles every day for exercise but remain stubbornly overweight."

Ekokai (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 4, 2013

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"The only problems I had were frequent trips to the restroom but my blood pressure is under control and I've never experienced any of the things people are complaining about. I would say try it and if you don't like it or react badly try one of the many other options."

Lyleminn August 16, 2013

"I have been on this medication for several years now. I have none of the side effects that others speak of. My blood pressure is consistantly in the normal range. Very happy with it. I'm 45"

Allen in Dallas (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 12, 2013

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am presently on Lisinopril HCTZ and for a while I was doing well then I got upped from 10/12.5 to 20/25 and within a month of using I have headaches, dizziness, nausea, the cough *sometimes to the point of falling over* I can't seem to make my brain work the way I need it to, and my whole body hurts. My blood pressure is down, no question about that, but this is freaking me out."

timberwulff April 4, 2013

150 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Minor: For about an hour after taking I have to pee a lot. MAJOR: Sometimes very bad foot pain/cramps to point of hardly being able to walk. I take this and amlodipine for high BP & it works."

trigvie January 1, 2013

"Lisinopril 10 for 1 day, plus thyroid medicine and not eating or drinking enough, so I blacked out. Dr couldn't get blood pressure because it was too low. Pain in shoulders, stuffy nose, hard swallowing, cramp in foot. Dr said to wait 3-5 days then start with half dose."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 19, 2012

"The only side effect that might be causing a problem for me is that I cannot keep my potassium in proper range while on this medication. It is wonderful for my blood pressure, but I do need to drink lots of water with this medicine to stay hydrated."

Wordybirdie (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 13, 2012

"Side effects included coughing--at night, during the day. Just no control over it. I was on a half a dose regimen, and with exercise and diet, my blood pressure was dropping."

Anonymous April 25, 2012

"I'm 52, my doctor prescribed 20/12.5 twice a day. I alternate dosages...take twice a day 3 times per week then one a day other 4 days. My blood pressure is 104/72. I want to be able to take it only once a day soon! I believe it will happen. What makes this medicine work for me is that I am active by exercising 6 days per week (weight training and cardio 4 days per wk, 1 day kickboxing and 1 day just walking). I believe that if you get plenty of cardio work for heart/blood circulation it will do what it supposed to do without really experiencing all of the bad side effects. The only side effect I experienced is a slight sore throat once in a while."

Anonymous January 25, 2012

"My MD wanted me to take Lisinopril rather than Lotensin, for some reason. It sure worked well in lowering blood pressure but the side effects were a pain in the neck. I was taking 20/25 mg and was dizzy, headachy, awfully tired all the time, stomach upset, aching all day in my feet so that I could hardly walk, as well as other side effects. On my own I cut it down in half and feel much better. My blood pressure is still on the low side, but these miserable side effects have finally let up. Guess I'd better tell the doctor. "

Deezie December 28, 2011

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Was on Toprol for a long time and was having to constantly increase the dosage. My doctor switched me to this and I immediately noted a great balance of blood pressure. Went from 145/98 to 127/78 (ish). Only side effects I have noted are ones that are easily cured with water intake. I get the cough and am lethargic and dizzy when working in the yard (I live in Texas so it's a billion degrees outside). Both of these however are mitigated with increased water intake. I drink flavored water throughout the day and these side effects have subsided. Very happy with this medicine."

Shards August 20, 2011

"I have been taking Lisinoprol 20/HCTZ12.5 for about a year now. I took it before and then switched medicines because of the coughing side effect of the Lisinopril. The new medicine did not provide the same results so I switched back. I have the cough off and on, sometimes it is pretty strong for a few minutes. It goes away and recently has been minimal. The only other side effect I notice is dizziness or light headedness sometimes. I started taking the pill late morning after eating breakfast. The side effects seem to be much better for the most part."

5150 June 17, 2011

"Good medicine no problems at all. "

chrisbray February 18, 2011

"Since starting this medicine a year ago blood pressure has been a steady 120/70 almost every time. However I have noticed that if I have a cold I will get a little light headed for about 1-3 hours after taking Lisinopril. But not enough of a problem to slow me down much."

schapy November 7, 2010