User Reviews for Hydrochlorothiazide/lisinopril to treat High Blood Pressure

Also known as: Zestoretic

Hydrochlorothiazide/lisinopril Rating Summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 287 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Hydrochlorothiazide/lisinopril

Tru4u · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 26, 2020

“I started on this medication because my blood pressure was still high even on amlodipine 5mg. It lowered my blood pressure significantly from the 150s to the 120s but the side affects are painful. I have aching pain on the left side of my chest plus a cough as well as some dizziness when I lay down on my right side. I had to cut my pill in half to minimize these effects but I will let the Dr know on my next visit. I would like to stop it altogether but I worry about rebound hypertension.”

Lee · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 7, 2020

“I have been taking 5 mg Lisinopril for a year and thought it was great, at first. It was effective at lowering my blood pressure, however lately when sleeping, I have had such extreme muscle cramps in my legs, I thought it was the end of me. This went on for many months until I found online that muscle cramps were a side effect of this drug. I stopped taking it and now take my old drug Atenenol. The night after I stopped taking Lisinopril, I have had no more leg cramps.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 6, 2020

“Constant dry cough. Frequent urination throughout the day. My physician increased from 20 mg to 40 mg. Still had side effects. Physician added Losartin and the cough went away but I would feel numbness in my right leg and tingling in my right foot.”

Grammy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 4, 2020

“Every time I took hydrochlorothiazide/lisinopril I would start coughing”

Drea · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 24, 2019

“While on this medicine I experienced back and neck pain and coughing headache. And always tired and sleepy is there someone who can relate. I sleepy all the time make me restful I don't like that lazy feeling.”

Terry · Taken for less than 1 month March 4, 2019

“I was taking this drug for high blood pressure. I took it for about a month noticed coughing really bad, back pain really bad, flu like symptoms. I stopped taking it and could not understand when I explained to the doctor he would say it must be something else. Now I see all these reviews saying the same coughing and other side effects I don’t know what’s going on. Where is the United States is getting their medicine from? But I have surely noticed the medicine now is like poison - really no good. Is it a money game or what? Very disappointed with doctors and medication now days must try to find a natural source. I thought the medicine was going to kill me”

MJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 10, 2018

“Leg cramps, pins needle feeling in heels, can't sleep. I take 2.5 mg.”

Jean · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 1, 2018

“I was on this first about 8-10 years. It did help blood pressure but just a tad. Had daily diarrhea first thing in the morning, ongoing sinus issues (woke up most mornings with a sinus headache), zero tears, etc. After a sudden onset of several eye floaters in one eye, I did some research and stopped taking it. About a week after stopping, I woke up with my eyes oozing thick fluid. I thought my eyes were leaking ocular fluid. It was tears!!! Eyes floaters considerable lessened after two weeks. Have switched to low dose Losartan. So far, the only effect I've noticed is a slight headache and sleepiness ( so I take it will dinner). However, the last few days, the effects have not occurred at all. Hopefully, Losartan will work better for me.”

Susie13 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 29, 2018

“Explosive watery diarrhea, without warning, no cramping, no stomach upset it just pours out of me without notice. I have take Immodium like candy while I'm working. Leg cramps, almost every night. I thought medicines were supposed to make you better, not worse. It has helped my BP, but it has made the rest of my life awful. I tell my doctor and nothing. She does nothing.”

MS E · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 20, 2018

“As I struggled with side affects from this drug I looked for others who were experiencing the same issues. Yes I had the cough but the stomach upset was the worst. Didn't see that this was a problem with others. My doctor said the med could not cause the constant explosive diarrhea I was experiencing. I took imodiom and started ulcer meds. I then submitted a stool sample and was looking at an endoscopy. My instincts said it had to be the drug so after 3 months of misery I got on a new bp drug and stomach is fine!!! So angry that the doc didn't listen to me sooner and kept saying I had a virus or food poisoning. So yes this drug does cause terrible stomach issues for some people so I hope this helps someone else who is dealing what I was. DON'T WAIT 3 months to get a different drug!”

dizzydeb · Taken for less than 1 month June 13, 2018

“Day 3. BP 84/37 dizzy, tired. Stopped taking on my own.”

Toodlesbug · Taken for 10 years or more May 7, 2018

“I've taken 10 mg for 20 years. Used to have a (not bothersome) cough; that's gone away. The pharmacist said lisinopril is a very good medicine. My usual BP is 120/75 or so with this dosage. This is the only drug I take; I'm active and my weight is about average. I'm really, really happy with it.”

Ali March 23, 2018

“I had to take this medicine for high blood pressure and it’s was horrible. I had headaches and stomach cramps.”

chet · Taken for 10 years or more March 12, 2018

“took lisinopril hydrochlorothiazide had a reaction after 15 years, throat swelling toung swelling. Dr said he thought it was lisinopril, so now just HCZ. So stopped taking it because I now have ringing in my ears and my ears are plugged as if I was on an air plane.... Bottom line, We don't have high bp because of lack of drugs ! they are all poision and just keep the big pharma in business as well as the "DR'S". I no longer can put faith in western "medicine ". '”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more February 18, 2018

“Have been taking Lisinopril HCTZ for many years. It has been effective in controlling my hypertension. Recently my pharmacy switched to Watson Labs brand of Lisinopril HCTZ. The blue pills are thin and concave, about 1 cm in diameter. This shape causes the pill to stick in my throat. It is very difficult to swallow, causing me to choke almost every time. It is the worse possible shape for a pill. I do not normally have difficulty swallowing pills, even much larger ones. I have requested that my pharmacy change brands.”

Ms. Hibplee September 8, 2017

“I have been taking 20 mgs lisinopril for about a month and it has been somewhat of a nightmare. It is effective at lowering my diastolic bp which is good but I'm also trying to eat foods that would help with my blood pressure that contain potassium and that's where the nightmare begins. I wasn't feeling well and I noticed a lot of discomfort after I ate bananas. Because Lisinopril works by causing the body to retain potassium, my eating potassium rich foods is apparently a negative which doesn't make sense if I'm trying to eat better to lower my blood pressure. I now see why people wind up taking these meds for the rest of their lives. I'm going to stop taking it because of this effect on me.”

Siamkitty July 21, 2017

“Took myself off of the drug because my BP was at pre-hypertension, and I had this constant dry cough. I used to have horrible leg cramps at night....no matter how much water I drank before bed. I never use salt or eat salty foods; the doctor said to eat more bananas. I never made the connection to the cramps and the meds, and my doctor did not, either. Well...I wondered why I haven't had any leg cramps in months, and my boyfriend said "you stopped taking your blood pressure medicine". Duh!”

Maggie O · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 25, 2017

“I was prescribed this medication at 20mg and took it for 10 years. I never associated the drug with my constant cough and breathing problems and neither did any physician. I was even hospitalized and tested for everything. Diagnosed over the years with asthma, gout and high blood sugar. I had complete work up and heart cath and there was nothing. I had many pulmonary work ups and all the treatments. Who puts up with years of coughing? Avoiding social situations, close contact, speaking engagements. I tried everything. FINALLY, an allergist said it was my meds. Stopped taking this drug and within 10 days I was as good as new. Terrible drug for me!”

Bam9496 · Taken for 10 years or more March 1, 2017

“I have taken lisinopril htz for about 10 years, for the past 3 years I've had pancreatitis once every year but for the last 6 months I have had 3 episodes and finally my Dr looked up side effects and pancreatitis was indeed one of them. Just in case anyone else is having the same problem. My Dr switched me to a different Bp medication, I feel better with the new meds.”

jvwarren · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 24, 2017

“Read all prescriptions profiles provided by pharmacy! Have taken drug for 3+ years and by accident learned I hadve side effects to it. I have experienced 80% of all adverse reactions listed; the worse being constant copious amounts of choking mucus/phlegm from throat/sinus, asthmatic bronchitis, severe fatigue, etc. Never in a million years would I have guessed it was Lisinopril, but just happened to be out of the medication for 3 days and woke up on the 3rd day without any of the choking phlegm in my throat & bronchial tract every morning for the past 3+ years. Current Doc (who didn't initially prescribe drug) is thrilled to discover the culprit he's been searching for 2+ years! Good-bye erroneous early-stage COPD diagnoses, I'm cured!”

Jim1234 January 30, 2017

“You get very itchy and nausea, don't like it. All blood pressure medicines have terrible side effects. More research has to be done on these medicines.”

Jeremy10q0q0qpq December 31, 2016

“The vast majority of effects are caused by dehydration. This medication rids your body of more water than your body would normally be carrying so you have to drink more water. Water works the best I feel better almost immediately once drinking a glass.”

Sick of lisinipril · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 2, 2016

“I started taking Lisinipril October 8th, so almost two months ago. I have developed a dry hacking cough and I am suffering from horrible Charlie horse type leg cramps which keep me awake at night. It also makes me feel sick if I don't have food in my stomach before taking it. I have changed my diet to vegetarian, cut out drinking any caffeine or alcohol. Hopefully this will help improve my bp. Going to my doctor next Saturday and I am going to request to be put on something else!”

Brown eyed girl and I'm just n · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 27, 2016

“Everyday when I take it I feel sick light headed dizzy my stomach knots up and it is aweful pain I have to lay down for awhile to get over it and after reading all of the reviews on Lisinopril I'm wondering if it ain't been side effects all alone since I've been taking the medication”

Zoesmeme July 28, 2016

“Headaches. Dry eyes. Aches. Excruciating pain in feet. Insomnia This stuff is poison.”