User Reviews for Desvenlafaxine

Major Depressive Disorder
5.7

Summary of Desvenlafaxine reviews 7.2 906 reviews

Reviews for Desvenlafaxine

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: "I am a healthy 49 yo female RN going through menopause. A family member noticed I cried too easily. HRT did not work for me, made hormonal swings worse. Dr prescribed Pristiq 25 mg & the next day, was not so "weepy." Depression is NOT an issue for me, it's the mood swings from going through early menopause. I took the 25 mg every day & felt great, but after a few weeks, started having insomnia & restless limbs at night. A little GI upset, but I take it in the AM with food. I exercise very hard, so no weight gain. However, the insomnia & restless limbs at night is starting to effect my quality of life. For a few months now, I only take the 25 mg every other day. Going to slowly taper down this medication as in my professional opinion, I have too much serotonin. I'm going to maybe take it 1-2x/week. My goal is to get off of it completely."

Bren (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 23, 2018

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "This drug killed the real me. I took it for three months for MDD. The first month of Pristiq was euphoric. The only side-effect was insomnia. Week six, I experienced anxiety and panic attacks. I went days without sleep. I asked my doctor if Pristiq caused anxiety. He told me that anti-depressants take time to work, and encouraged me to try the drug a bit longer. My behavior became erratic. I reacted dramatically, even to the good things. I didn’t feel like myself anymore. Week nine, I was noticably angrier. My overreactions worsened. Week twelve, I searched online for Pristiq. Anxiety showed up in each search. I decided to not take it the following Sunday. My mother wanted me to wait. I adamantly refused and do not regret this. I was considerably less anxious. I had no withdrawal symptoms. Come Tuesday, I saw my doctor. I asked about anxiety again. He confirmed that anxiety was a side-effect of Pristiq. I told him everything. I’m not on Pristiq anymore."

Clownose May 20, 2018

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: "I am not sure if this is useful (and this may be just my individual experience) but I was self medicating my anxiety and depression with illegal drugs and alcohol (abusing both) until Pristiq. My Psychiatrist prescribed me 100mg and not only did it curb my anxiety and depression it also removed the appetite for alcohol and drugs. It actually worked so well I have been abstinent from both for months now, so if you are using alcohol and drugs to medicate, a useful side effect of Pristiq is that you can get out of that abusive hole of yours."

Alpha (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 20, 2018

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I was on Pristiq for at least two years before my insurance company "made me" take the generic - desvenlafaxine. I gradually weaned myself off of it. I take 150 mg a day. So I would take a 50 Pristiq with a 100 desven, the next day I would take 100 Pristiq with 50 desven. Now I am totally off of the Pristiq. It's been three weeks and it's not good. I have night sweats, more spacey moments, bouts of depression, trouble sleeping. I will definitely talk to my psychiatrist about this at my next visit. I am on other meds as well. Truly I have Complex PTSD and Manic depression. Yippeee......"

Jeni (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 8, 2018

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I have a diagnosis of PTSD / 29 years of full time fire fighting. Now finally with Pristiq can sleep at night. The constant worry of looking for the next problem on the horizon is gone. Be very careful if you miss a dose. The withdrawal symptoms are felt quickly. Just have your next regular dose. This stuff just plain works. be safe. be well."

Z06 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 7, 2018

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: "Unexpected side effect while taking Pristiq; not only does it have no negative side effects for me unlike other antidepressants that I have tried that have made me tired or gain weight, Pristiq has by far been the 1 that's helped me the most. I had been taking Pristiq last year & then had to go off due to high co-pay costs (switched to Effexor but wasn't as helpful). Recently the cost of Prestiq went down & so I wanted to switch back to it. I wasn't positive if this specific side effect was related to taking the Pristiq last year, but I feel VERY confidant saying I believe it was, because when I stopped taking it I could tell & then when I started taking it again- I have much longer & intense oragasms while taking Pristiq! I've always had a good sex life with my husband, except I have taken meds in the past that I thought slowed my libido down so I stopped, but Pristiq does NOT interfere with my sex drive! It has improved sexual satisfication for me even more!"

Lindsay (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "Pristiq is the best medicine ever for bipolar. I'm on 75 mg morning and 25mg afternoon."

BipolarMommy April 26, 2018

For Anxiety: "I started by taking 25mg at night at around 8:00PM, didn't go to sleep till 2:30AM, and strangely wasn't very tired. As I laid in bed, I felt an overwhelming sense of panic creep in which slowly grow much, MUCH worse. I ended up getting out of bed and paced back and forth inside my room, where my mind felt like it was racing at 1000x a second. My body began to shake, my vision decreased slightly, I lost my coordination, felt it very hard to concentrate, and at one point it felt like my legs wanted to give out from underneath me. Most importantly, I had the biggest panic attack I've ever experienced, and was very heavily breathing. I may have been experiencing something known as Serotonin Syndrome, which can induce seizure. Thankfully I had some Clonazepam on hand and took a small dose to calm myself down which helped significantly. I will be indefinitely discontinuing the use of all SSRI and SNRI's in the future, courtesy of the side effects of desvenlafaxine."

Bob April 25, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "I started taking this medication along with a mood stabilizer. The mood stabilizer alone didn’t work for my rapid cycling. As soon as I took Pristiq, my cycling stopped and felt ‘normal’ again. No more mania. I’ve been on it 2 years and it’s been amazing! However, DO NOT stop taking this medication as you WILL suffer withdrawal symptoms that I can only imagine feel like coming off meth or heroin."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 19, 2018

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: "Avoid at all costs. This drug has been awful, on it and coming off it. I would not recommend it to anyone. I had high hopes, but was lethargic for months on it, barely able to get out of bed, now coming off it for the last month I am like a bear, snapping at the smallest things and if this continues I will lose my relationship"

X (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 16, 2018

For Anxiety: "It isn’t working at all for me. I have been taking Pristiq for 1 year and there is no change in me mentally. I feel like it’s just a brand sold to 100s of people for money. I mean is there even an active ingredient in it that make you better in this pill? I feel like you should get a second opinion if someone prescribes Pristiq to you."

Blu April 10, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I saw someone else comment on here about their issues with generic Pristiq. I'm having the same problem! I've been taking generic just fine up until a refill I got in March 2018. I have been experiencing brain zaps, vertigo, nausea, night sweats, etc--all of which I've only ever experienced when missing a dose--but I haven't missed any. Unfortunately, no one will believe me that this is the problem even though this is the ONLY thing that has changed."

Anon (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 9, 2018

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I was prescribed Pristiq after trying Lovan, Zoloft, and Mirtazipine with no avail and this was the only antidepressant that I could feel actually working. However, the side effects I experienced were an extremely dry mouth, unusual dreams and zero libido or ability to orgasm. After about 9 months I could tell it had stopped working so my psychiatrist decided to wean me off my 100mg dose; it was absolutely the hardest thing. I felt so physically sick all the time, would vomit constantly and every time I moved my eyes I got the 'brain zaps'. It took me about two months to wean myself completely off, however I was still feeling the withdrawal a full three weeks after I stopped taking it. I would only recommend this medication if you plan on staying on it for the rest of your life and I am very happy to be off it."

alaya (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 9, 2018

For ADHD: "I started this medication in Dec of 2017 for anxiety, depression, and ADHD. After a couple of weeks I noticed a huge difference in my mood. It helped me think positive and feel great about myself with no side affects. After a few months however I am back to the same old me...I went from 50 to 100 mg. I guess my body got used to the dosage :/ Oh well. It was nice while it lasted."

It's okay April 2, 2018

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: "Taking the drug wasn't too bad. Experienced some minor constipation and case of dry mouth. However, when I tried to stop taking it I experienced the worst insomnia I have ever had in my life which led to intense depressive feelings. I was never warned the drug would be such a horror to try to quit and am upset I was not given this information. Perhaps not the greatest for short term use due to withdrawal problems."

Leesh (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 26, 2018

For Depression: "I have a white ulcer like sore on my bottom lip. And a bulge like growth in my eyelid. With side effects of urine track infections. I don’t know if this is a side effect from my medication"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 23, 2018

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: "Very effective when taken with Remeron. I was on Prozac, Zoloft, and Paxil prior to this. Zoloft and Paxil gave me horrible side effects, and Prozac stopped working. I was put on Pristiq last year and noticed an improvement, but experienced mood swings. Once I added Remeron to the mix, everything evened our and I feel genuinely happy for the first time in my life."

Jenny (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 19, 2018

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: "Fantastic medication with virtually no side effects"

JJ (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 17, 2018

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: "I took this drug for about six months. Headaches, weight gain, nausea, dizzy and head spins, sleepless nights and my libido went out the window and I haven't found it since. When I finally went off the drug, the withdrawal was so bad that I wanted the world to know this drug should not be on the market. It is horrible and it messes you up. Yes it did help with the depression a bit, but no better then some of the other ones out there. Worst drug I have ever been on, including my RA drugs."

shareene (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 17, 2018

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: "The first time I was put on this it worked perfectly I wasn't depressed, wasn't suicidal, no side effects at all, then a stupid doctor took me off them because he thought I shouldn't be on them, now I'm back on them again and having the WORST side effects uncontrollable shaking, head spinning like crazy, nausea, blurred vision, all around sick feeling, it was horrible it scared the crap out of me and I will NOT be taking it again. I am not going through that pain again it was to much. Felt like my heart was going to give out"

Anonymous March 6, 2018

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: "I have been on Pristiq for more than a month. It works immediately within a few days. I am someone who has depression on and off during course of my life (at hindsight) that I should have taken antidepressant especially my adolescent years when I was really down. Doctor suggested Lexapro 3 years ago when another episode happened but I changed my job. This time with another job issue, he suggested Pristiq instead. I looked up all the experience from here and was skeptical for a week before I took the leap and started taking the medication. I was unable to sleep for the first 2 nights that I changed to take it once I wake up and it worked! Headaches come and go. That's it for the side effect. I did not gain weight and not affecting sex life. I have never felt this happy or NORMAL before for the longest time. No temper at all that I was . I feel new again!!"

AHA (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2018

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: "Horrible medication with tons of severe side effects and even worse withdrawal symptoms."

PBJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 3, 2018

For Anxiety: "I was switched about three days ago from Cymbalta to generic Prestiq. Thus far its all good. I am much more awake all day long and for the first time in years I am thinking of going out to buy some new clothes. I know its early but thus far I am so happy to not be so tired any more and I have become more productive in my work."

SuperDuper (taken for less than 1 month) March 3, 2018

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I was placed on Pristiq about a year and a half ago for my PSTD and major depressive disorder. It worked like a charm. About a month ago though, the generic brand disvenlaxifine became the only one close to Pristiq that my insurance would cover so the physician changed me over. I didn't notice anything at first, everything seemed the same. I've been using it now for about 3 weeks and this past week I've started to notice I am getting "brain zaps" even though I haven't forgotten to take the drug. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this experience? I am hoping it will pass shortly and not that the drug is ineffective for me compared to Pristiq."

Miranda Mae (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 26, 2018

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: "I suffered from depression when I was in high school , it have improved for some time , then in college I started having Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) with panic attacks and depression I have tried zoloft before which I have not find to be effective . Before I used pristiq, I used to have irritable mood, short temper, no concentration, poor sleep, low appetite, anhedonia, social anxiety , depression isolated , I was afraid to give speeches, and had poor expression of emotions. Now on Pristiq I am more social, funnier, more energetic having good appetite , more happy, more self confident and having better self esteem, I am not sensitive for rejection and I give my opinion without thinking twice . It has helped me a lot . The only draw back that it cause loss of libido and erectile dysfunction I am taking it for 2 years now ."

Soma February 25, 2018