User Reviews for Desvenlafaxine

Also known as: Khedezla, Pristiq

Learn more about Desvenlafaxine.

Hot Flashes 1 reviews 19 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 42 reviews 46 medications

6.2
Summary of Desvenlafaxine reviews 817 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Desvenlafaxine

For Depression: "I have been on Pristiq 100 mg for over six years now. I was 18 when I started, and I had pervasive and disturbing suicidal thoughts, serious self harm issues, and neuroticism up the wazoo. I would be dead if it weren't for taking this drug. I just want to say that you shouldn't be scared about taking the generic. It works just as fantastically for me as Pristiq and is significantly cheaper. "

Leelalolol (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 15, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: "I took one dose and ended up in the ER with a horrible pounding, predominately right sided migraine. Along with about 6 hours of vomiting. It had to have been the worst migraine of my life."

xixi (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I have been taking this medication for almost a year. I have tried every depression medication on the planet. Seriously, I have tried ALL of them. I suffer from crippling anxiety so I needed something that would help my depression and my anxiety. This medication has worked quite well for both. I have noticed a few things since I started taking these. My sex drive is completely gone. I have constipation issues and quite a dry mouth. Losing my sex drive has been completely terrible, I can't deal with crippling anxiety any longer, so it was worth it. This medication is pretty pricey, about $45 a month with insurance. Before I was taking this, I paid about $4 for 3 months. My doctor gave me a coupon/card, so when I use that it only costs me $4"

CallieAllieCat June 7, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: "I've been on 100mg Pristiq for 6 years for panic and depression. Prior, I had been on 150mg Effexor XR for 7 years. For panic, this drug is excellent. If you've experienced "brain shivers" or "shocks" when missing a dose on other medications, this one has managed to remove them, which I feel is great. I want to note, that you will get withdrawal headaches every so often on Pristiq which can be slept off. Over the years, I found that I had a more stable experience when taking my 100mg dose at intervals of 50mg at breakfast and the other 50mg at bedtime. This strategy attempts to keep your body with a consistent supply so you are "topped up" to minimize the withdrawl effects."

ExerciseToo June 7, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: "I have been on pretty much every antidepressant that is out there. Nothing has really helped and the few times I felt a slight improvement in my condition, the side effects outweighed the benefits. Pristiq has been totally different. Within a week of starting it I see a positive change. My overall mood is better, I have more energy, and I am more productive. Also, when my mood does take a dip, it seems that the "bottom" has been raised. In other words, the lows aren't as low as they once were. I have only been on it a couple of weeks and I am told that I still may not be experiencing the full benefit, which is great considering how much better I already feel. No side effects whatsoever. Very grateful for this medication."

Much Better (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I started on lexapro in my early diagnoses with depression it worked but then I became immune to the drug. Then my psychiatrist recommended Effexor which also worked for the short term. However that was in the early years. For the past few years I have been on pristiq I started on 50mg which did a good job of controlling the anxiety and lifting me out of depression, last week my psychiatrist upped my dose to 100mgs so see how I go with this. I am also on epilim 1000mgs daily as well as 200mgs of seroquel for sleep disorder. I think taking extra pristiq will help though see how I go."

Theo Chara (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 4, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I was given the generic after taking Pristiq for 5 years, this does not work for me at all, depression, anxiety and thoughts are all over the place. Bennett taking the generic 2 months. Have to try something else now because this is not good."

DD0 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 2, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I have been taking Pristiq for 5 years it took a month to get used to but after that the anger, depression and anxiety was almost completely gone. I was very calm and not much rattled me. Then surprise I was given the generic about 2 months ago, the anger and anxiety is back full force. Now I am going to have to try something else because the generic doesn't work. Sorry world I'm full of anger and anxious, here we go again."

DD0 June 2, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I have been taking Pristiq for about 8 months. No problems, no side effects, my anxiety was magically gone. I have tried several medications and had side effects to all of them so I was amazed when I had 0 side effects to pristiq. This month my formulary changed and my insurance forced me to change to desvenlafaxine succinate ER instead of name brand. A week later I feel like I'm detoxing. Dizziness, light headedness, achy muscles and my anxiety keeps creeping up on me. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem?"

Char17 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 2, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Originally went on Pristiq when I was 19, definitely didn't give it long enough to work and swore it off. I am now 22 and have been on the 100mg for 4 months after easily the most traumatic and worst year of my life. As reluctant as I was at first this medicine has been an incredible assistant in rebuilding my life. I did start off with awful side effects including nausea, headaches, shaking/twitching, always tired, waking up during at he night. I decided to stick it out and I'm so glad I did. Although it was hard after a month my body adjusted and my moods were noticeably more balanced. I felt more in control of my reactions to situations and it aided me to rebuild my life one step at a time. I just need to give it a month for side effects to calm down."

Demm May 30, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I am in my late 30s and have family members with manic bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. I had struggled with anxiety and feelings of sensory overload often but not major depressive disorder. However, after moving to a foriegn country, I found myself suffering from constant nightmares that were extremely vivid and awful. I sought counselling to cope with leaving behind my friends and family. Pristiq has reduced my heightened sensitivity to sounds, any irrational fears, and made nightmares mild. Both my GP and counsellor thought Pristq was a good fit. I am happy that 2 years later, it still works well with no negative side effects (had some drowsiness at first). But if I miss more than 1 dose, my symptoms do return, so I'm afraid to go off it"

AnicaB (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 25, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I have been on Pristiq for over 5 years. I recently went in to get my refill and was told my insurance would only pay for generic that apparently recently came on the market. After over 2 weeks of taking the generic I had a sense of feeling overwhelmed and lost my appetite and actually had what felt like horrible acid on my stomach. I've never had issues with acid. I lost about 10 lbs in a week. My insurance will not cover the branded so I am left with paying almost $300 a month for this prescription until I can find a replacement. The sad part is that a person should never be immediately switched to generic without a slow transition to another RX even if it's the generic of the same drug. The GENERIC DID NOT WORK FOR ME. Brand does."

William Barnett (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 18, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: "I was on Celexa for 5 years before it stopped working. Took the DNA test and celexa and others were in red but pristiq was green. Pristiq I took for 2 months and it was the worst hell I've ever gone through. Ditched the DNA test as it's garbage and been on zoloft for 5 months with good results again"

Matt4567 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: "I am almost 24 and have been on pristiq for about 5 weeks. I am now up to 100 mg but started at 50. I have no negative side effects besides maybe a light headache. I have been on over 10 anti-depressents in the past with nothing but bad side effects and had sworn them off 6 years ago. Nothing worked for my anxiety and depression in the past besides of course my take as needed klonopin. Pristig has been good. No side effects or appetite increase. I am also going through an extremely tough and stressful time in life at this point and once I was upped to 100 mg, I have noticed an increase in my mood positively. Like I said, I had sworn off meds for years, but I feel like this one may be working. Give it a try and work with your doctor"

Nat attack (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: "I tried Pristiq, which had been listed on my Genesight review in the positive column. Was on it for three weeks and had to stop as I had developed hypermania: no sleep, talkative, spending, messy, walking around confused and generally felt very high. Felt very unsafe driving and was also eating everything in sight until I had a stomach ache. Gained weight and just felt plain bloated. While I recognized that something was wrong, I was not thinking straight enough too judge. Fortunately, the prescriber recognized it and I am now stopped 3 days. Don't feel great, but I am glad I was not on it long enough to have withdrawal problems."

jmsagain April 29, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: "I'm taking Pristiq for the second time, I have experienced episodes of depression since 14 or 15 but always managed to come out eventually by my own means. When I was 28 I took Pristiq for the first time because I had a lot of anxiety and was depressed. My side effects were some mild headaches, feeling sleepy during the day, waking up during night. Now I'm 31 and was feeling very angry, anxious and depressed because a "professional failure". I'm on day 3 taking 50mg in the morning and my mood and anxiety are better already but feel sleepy during the day and wake up in the middle of the night feeling ready to go for a full day. "

I know I have potential but... (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I'm wondering about generic Pristiq. My pharmacy dispensed 50 mg tablets of generic Pristiq about a month ago. My pdoc was surprised since she didn't even know there was such a thing. I took them one time, and experienced profound anxiety and depression. I have been in to see her three times since. I still feel like I'm being affected by whatever was in those pills. My doc upped my Klonopin (which I did NOT want to do), but we had no choice. I am now still on the brand name Pristiq, but had to go up 50 mg. I don't know what the deal was, but I would advise anyone taking Pristiq to stick with the brand name. I am just now starting to feel "normal" again! I have read that the patent on Pristiq won't be up for several more years!!"

Zyzzy61 April 19, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: "I have BPD II, PTSD & anxiety with agoraphobia. I've tried a LOT of different meds & gone unmedicated as well, probably over the last 15 years or so. Right now, I'm on Lithium 900mg. Just stopped Gabapentin 900-1200mg. On Desvenlafaxine 100mg (start, 50mg) about 1 year - Since I started, I've been lifted out of a suicidal & debilitating depression. Take into consideration lithium, my moods are more levelled out and I don't feel like crying at the drop of a hat. I don't feel completely hopeless. However, I do feel unnecessarily agitated, sleep issues - too much or insomnia, low energy, incessant nausea. I've also gained an incredible amount of weight, without appetite. DNA test "Green-lit" Pristiqu... Going to see Dr. today."

S Dove April 13, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: "I recently took a DNA test which determines which best antidepressants​ that your most compatible with since I'm very extremely sensitive to meds and pristiq was listed in the green column that would give no side effects, yeah right after nearly giving this med a fair two months trial of hell being on this toxic chemical I've encountered practically all the severe side effects reported from worsening depression of feeling hopeless and being in a thick fog everyday that made it almost impossible to hold a conversation and more like a robot, depersonalization / derealization, blurred vision along with seeing distorted objects and shapes that makes me sensitive to light, mood swings, horrible word finding difficulties, this med ain't me!"

kevin572 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 10, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: "Pristiq was great for me but seem to stop working after 5 years. Definitely start on the 25mg dose. Let your body get use to it, before increasing. I went to 50 mg but didn't like the side effects, so went back to 25 mg. Nothing else has worked as well, so I am thinking of giving Pristiq another try after trying numerous other drugs."

Ryskke10 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 9, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: "Gained 30 pounds while on prednisone. It was my 5th medicine to try. I was skeptical but it actually worked. Pristiq made me so sleepy and in a constant state of lala land. Gained 30 pounds while on prednisone and Started pristiq at the same time. I have gone a year and a half and still haven't lost the weight. It's different for everyone, and weight gain isn't normal, apparently. I tapered off the 100mg almost a month ago and now I have so much energy! On the meds I was still depressed but was ok with it. off the meds, I'm attacking the issues head on and trying to make up for the last 1.5 year stupor. I'd just had enough of missing out on life. Good meds if you want to sleep thru life and just not have to think about issues anymore."

Blondie80 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 30, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I was prescribed Pristiq about 6 months ago and am currently on the highest dose. It took me awhile to commit to taking it because the side effects were awful. Headaches, groggy feeling, dry mouth, and constipation. I've been on it consistently now and the only difference I see is that I feel more numb. I still feel and think the same but my outbursts have calmed down since the medicine makes me so exhausted. I have also gained a lot of weight from this medication. The good part about this medicine for me is I get coupons for it and basically get it for free."

Toucat March 22, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: "Started on 50mg now up to 100mg. The main side effect I am experiencing is tingling and numbness of the face, head and ears. The sensations vary location and intensity, usually peaking in the afternoon/evening 6-8 hours after ingestion. The overall effectiveness of the medication is unclear due to concurrent methamphetamine use, however I am feeling better than I was prior to commencing treatment."

Freakin (taken for less than 1 month) March 9, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "After reading the reviews of Pristiq, I am amazed at the number of people that have had the DNA test and end up on Pristiq. When I took the DNA test, Pristiq was the "only" antidepressant found suitable for me. I have been on several antidepressants one being Prozac that worked very well for me for years with no noticeable side effects. I began to wonder why Prozac was in the list of antidepressants NOT to use when it had worked so well for me? I took the Pristiq for a few days and the side effects were so horrendous that I had to discontinue. The cost is also prohibitive for some people. My co-pay with insurance was about $300. I have a very dim view of the drug and the DNA test that shows only Pristiq as suitable for my gene makeup!"

Anonymous March 2, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I was on Effexor for a year, 2 different times for anxiety. Because my husband recommended Pristiq I decided to try it the next time I had to go back on anxiety meds. It has helped me tremendously. I couldn't bring myself to fly anymore (even though I love travelling more than anything else). Since being on Pristiq I've flown (with no anxiety issues at all) across the U.S., then to Europe, then to Hawaii. It also helps me with daily issues as well. The only drawback for me really is that I'm a little too calm now. I don't get excited about things as much as I use to. No more excessive worrying but also not too much joy either. Overall though, I prefer this over what I was feeling before."

vp89 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 12, 2017