User Reviews for Desvenlafaxine

Also known as: Khedezla, Pristiq

Learn more about Desvenlafaxine.

Hot Flashes 1 reviews 19 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 46 reviews 46 medications

6.2
Summary of Desvenlafaxine reviews 832 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Desvenlafaxine

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I am 34, its my first week on it. I didn't realise how bad things really were inside my head until now. At first I had 2 days of nauseous bouts but by the third day I felt less caught in a loop and yesterday I went to 100mg and while thinking of an old friend I had a slip back in a moment of time and with a good memory in my brain I felt a rush of elation inside me like butterflies. I actually felt something. I've been suffering for so long and it almost seems too good to be true. I'm so thankful."

Annarexsickk (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I took Pristiq for years and it was wonderful. Unfortunately my insurance changed and I wound up on Effexor, which caused me horrific night sweats. When I saw Pristiq had a generic, I was thrilled! Now that I'm on it, I realize it's not anywhere close to the brand name. I feel terrible on it. I have headaches, jaw pain, I have heartburn, and I've even noticed some heart palpitations. I'm really disappointed in the generic, but I don't want to go back to Effexor and deal with the night sweats, so I'm kind of at a loss for what to do. I'm hoping if I give the generic Pristiq more time, my system will adjust. I feel for the rest of you are having issues, because it's not fun."

Bellesunny123 (taken for less than 1 month) August 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Its been nearly 2 years on various doses of Pristiq, and 100mg each day works best for my mind. Thankfully. I have some side effects that annoy me a lot, like no appetite, nausea, gut problems & worst of all- killed my libido this whole time. It simply ceased to exist. I continue to take my meds. I'm a widow raising a 12 year old for last 7 years after my Husband died suddenly very suddenly of swine flu. So much has been lost from that day. Inevitably it took its toll on me. Not a complete person anymore. Its like I feel asexual... But I am alive and kicking"

Elaine is my real name (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: "This drug made my executive functioning a lot better, but it also almost immediately made me super down and caused partial seizures (I have no history of epilepsy). It may have triggered an episode of psychosis as well but I am still uncertain whether it was a psychotic episode or a seizure as I also lost control and sensation in my limbs while hallucinating before losing consciousness completely. I would not recommend this drug."

rongeromy (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Pristiq, BRAND NAME ONLY, I give 10 plus. Best thing out there for me. 50mg - barely any side effects, crazy night sweats, but sex drive in check - key for happy soul and relationships. Do not take generic, I had a serious relapse in depression almost put me in the hospital. Mind you, it took 3 months for us to realize what was happening so be careful! The generic is too new to find much information and if you goggle how inadequate testing is, you'll be persuaded not to use. Found Pristiq after decades of different cocktails until my new DR. had me take a genetic test - not ancestry test. I highly suggest, super informative regarding how your body breakdown psych. Meds. Thank you for sharing - today I live because I am not alone"

DD in the rabbithole (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder: "My rating of 1 is for GENERIC Pristiq, desvenlafaxine - should not be in the market, not even close to brand PRISTIQ... I was doing amazingly well, better than ever in my 47 years, on a nice small dose of 50mg, PRISTIQ not desvenlafaxine (generic); believe me, I've tried EVERYTHING including that killer serazone- think they took that one off market. Now, I am writing this after two weeks in bed wondering WTF? Thanks to all the posts, I get it. Insurance switched me to generic 3 months ago, it all makes sense now. Gradually, almost insidiously, I've been slipping down, gaining weight, feeling lethargic, irritable not able to cope with talking on the phone so I was chalking it up to PMS or pre-menopausal.... WRONG WRONG WRONG..."

DDinrabbithole (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: "This was a big change in life with 50 mg taken at night for one week then went to 25mg in am. It's been 6 months and things are great. I take also First Nutrients Nutrivie a natural plant base every day with 5 oz of water and that has been the best thing for depression and anxiety! I wish more people new! It gives you your life back. Hoping everyone can feel good again."

Kingbear67 July 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: "I started pristiq 3 months ago and it has changed my life! I finally feel like I want to live. It all started with taking a DNA test and it recommended pristiq. I don't get those really low days anymore. I love pristiq! I never thought I would feel better after trying medication after medication."

Katie4717 July 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: "I have been on 100mg of Pristiq for three years for depression and anxiety. Without question it has changed my life incredibly. I waited 47 years to have the courage to take an antidepressant and wish with all my heart I had met this medication in my 20's. I started on 50mg but after a two months reluctantly headed up to 100 ... my reservations were for nothing ... this medication has worked beautifully for me. I did have side effects in the first few weeks, beating heart, very thirsty and slight headaches, but they passed quickly and I have been amazed by its strength ever since. I have had some serious life crises to deal with in the past three years ... and often feared the medication would not be able to 'hold' me ... it always has. I have an amazing therapist who I saw for the first two years but no longer need that support, the medication is enough. I used to have so many concerns about taking any such medications - was frequently turned away from them by what I'd read as horror stories online ... I wanted to let you know ... it's not for all of us ... some of us do have great reviews ... maybe not enough of us drop back to pass them on because we got busy with our new lives where wellness is the new normal. I never worry about coming off them, I don't care if I have to take them forever ... as long as I feel this good I'm not ending my relationship with them ..."

Finally healthy (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I have been on name brand Pristiq for nearly a decade and doing great. Depression, anger, sex drive, all were in check for a number of years. Like many others I was forced to move to the generic by insurance. It took a few weeks but noticed I was shorter tempered, irritated, and lost all sexual drive to the point of being disinterested. Requested going back to name-brand after two months of generic and immediately felt better. Stress level is down and I can handle it without being irritated. Disappointing that insurance and big-pharma just need their profits instead of helping people. Cost on Pristiq before detectable - $65 After deductible - $15. Generic - $15 Pristiq after generic was available and ins won't cover the name brand -$311"

McDanno (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "This review and rating is for the GENERIC of Pristiq (desvenlafaxine). I was recently switched to the generic due to my insurance policy. Took it for over a month and I have been getting panic attacks, heart palpitations, insomnia and depression. It was as if I wasn't taking any medication at all! I seem to have a sensitivity with certain generic drugs (also cannot take generic birth control pills). My doctor agreed and put me back on the brand name and it was a lot of hoop jumping with the insurance company to get this mail order pushed through and to avoid their $700 penalty fee for going back to brand names. If you are hesitant about the generic, definitely try the brand name!"

NewYorkGirl1984 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I had great results with Pristiq, but since switching to generic over 2 months ago it hasn't been nearly effective. I have increased my dose twice and I feel more depressed than when I started Pristiq."

Rosie S July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: "After five antidepressants this is the one that brought me back to myself. I'm not 100%, but I was at 40% and now 80% myself. I am able to laugh again, appreciate the beauty of the out doors, and to enjoy my kids without yelling due to being constantly overwhelmed. My insurance switched me to generic pristiq and within a month I started feeling the anxiety and depression return. I was back to feeling like a zombie and in addition had withdraw symptoms from stopping the name brand pristiq including headaches, fatigue, muscle aches, and insomnia. I have switched back to name brand 4 days ago and feel a tiny bit better, but praying name brand pristiq kicks back in quicker. No generic!"

Plutohomer (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: "Originally I would have given this drug 10/10. I had anxiety so bad that at one point I could not even leave the house without having a panic attack. On Pristiq, from my experience, a few wonderful things will happen: 1. You couldn't have a panic attack if you tried to talk yourself into it. 2. You will not gain weight (I lost weight originally and then went back to normal after 6 months). 3. Your depression will subside - though there is a BUT with that. The not great: 1. It is really hard to get off of, brain zaps, no step down options. 2. You become a bit zombie-like, lost creativity etc. A lot of not caring so much. 3. Sexual side-effects, though they do improve over time. Solid 5/10"

beesy24 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Like several others on this blog - I have used Pristiq for about two years and it has been fabulous. One month on the generic though and I took a terrible dip into depression. I just want to support those who say the generic is not working for them."

Fambam (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I have been on Pristiq 100 mg for over six years now. I was 18 when I started, and I had pervasive and disturbing suicidal thoughts, serious self harm issues, and neuroticism up the wazoo. I would be dead if it weren't for taking this drug. I just want to say that you shouldn't be scared about taking the generic. It works just as fantastically for me as Pristiq and is significantly cheaper. "

Leelalolol (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: "I took one dose and ended up in the ER with a horrible pounding, predominately right sided migraine. Along with about 6 hours of vomiting. It had to have been the worst migraine of my life."

xixi (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I have been taking this medication for almost a year. I have tried every depression medication on the planet. Seriously, I have tried ALL of them. I suffer from crippling anxiety so I needed something that would help my depression and my anxiety. This medication has worked quite well for both. I have noticed a few things since I started taking these. My sex drive is completely gone. I have constipation issues and quite a dry mouth. Losing my sex drive has been completely terrible, I can't deal with crippling anxiety any longer, so it was worth it. This medication is pretty pricey, about $45 a month with insurance. Before I was taking this, I paid about $4 for 3 months. My doctor gave me a coupon/card, so when I use that it only costs me $4"

CallieAllieCat June 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: "I've been on 100mg Pristiq for 6 years for panic and depression. Prior, I had been on 150mg Effexor XR for 7 years. For panic, this drug is excellent. If you've experienced "brain shivers" or "shocks" when missing a dose on other medications, this one has managed to remove them, which I feel is great. I want to note, that you will get withdrawal headaches every so often on Pristiq which can be slept off. Over the years, I found that I had a more stable experience when taking my 100mg dose at intervals of 50mg at breakfast and the other 50mg at bedtime. This strategy attempts to keep your body with a consistent supply so you are "topped up" to minimize the withdrawl effects."

ExerciseToo June 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Depression: "I have been on pretty much every antidepressant that is out there. Nothing has really helped and the few times I felt a slight improvement in my condition, the side effects outweighed the benefits. Pristiq has been totally different. Within a week of starting it I see a positive change. My overall mood is better, I have more energy, and I am more productive. Also, when my mood does take a dip, it seems that the "bottom" has been raised. In other words, the lows aren't as low as they once were. I have only been on it a couple of weeks and I am told that I still may not be experiencing the full benefit, which is great considering how much better I already feel. No side effects whatsoever. Very grateful for this medication."

Much Better (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I started on lexapro in my early diagnoses with depression it worked but then I became immune to the drug. Then my psychiatrist recommended Effexor which also worked for the short term. However that was in the early years. For the past few years I have been on pristiq I started on 50mg which did a good job of controlling the anxiety and lifting me out of depression, last week my psychiatrist upped my dose to 100mgs so see how I go with this. I am also on epilim 1000mgs daily as well as 200mgs of seroquel for sleep disorder. I think taking extra pristiq will help though see how I go."

Theo Chara (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I was given the generic after taking Pristiq for 5 years, this does not work for me at all, depression, anxiety and thoughts are all over the place. Bennett taking the generic 2 months. Have to try something else now because this is not good."

DD0 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I have been taking Pristiq for 5 years it took a month to get used to but after that the anger, depression and anxiety was almost completely gone. I was very calm and not much rattled me. Then surprise I was given the generic about 2 months ago, the anger and anxiety is back full force. Now I am going to have to try something else because the generic doesn't work. Sorry world I'm full of anger and anxious, here we go again."

DD0 June 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I have been taking Pristiq for about 8 months. No problems, no side effects, my anxiety was magically gone. I have tried several medications and had side effects to all of them so I was amazed when I had 0 side effects to pristiq. This month my formulary changed and my insurance forced me to change to desvenlafaxine succinate ER instead of name brand. A week later I feel like I'm detoxing. Dizziness, light headedness, achy muscles and my anxiety keeps creeping up on me. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem?"

Char17 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Originally went on Pristiq when I was 19, definitely didn't give it long enough to work and swore it off. I am now 22 and have been on the 100mg for 4 months after easily the most traumatic and worst year of my life. As reluctant as I was at first this medicine has been an incredible assistant in rebuilding my life. I did start off with awful side effects including nausea, headaches, shaking/twitching, always tired, waking up during at he night. I decided to stick it out and I'm so glad I did. Although it was hard after a month my body adjusted and my moods were noticeably more balanced. I felt more in control of my reactions to situations and it aided me to rebuild my life one step at a time. I just need to give it a month for side effects to calm down."

Demm May 30, 2017