User Reviews for Desvenlafaxine

Also known as: Khedezla, Pristiq

Learn more about Desvenlafaxine.

Desvenlafaxine Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Desvenlafaxine to treat Anxiety

"After trying a myriad of medications for my postpartum anxiety, all which brought on profound side effects such as depression, insomnia, rage, no feelings whatsoever, etc, I was placed on Pristine/ Desvenalfaxine. I have not had to take medication for anxiety or depression previously and was to the point where I intended to suffer through the anxiety rather than the side effects. This medication however, has been a lifesaver. I feel fantastic and very much like myself. I want to do normal things, taking care of my son doesn't make me feel like I'm going to worry myself into an early grave. I'm not having heart palpitations. I can actually work and be productive opposed to constant worry. It is working!"

Worriednomore (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had been taking Pristiq 50mg for sometime and felt great my anxiety, tiredness and sadness gone, with changes in our insurance I was given the generic Desvenlafaxine SUC ER 50mg, I noticed within a week I was feeling different. I continued to take it for three months and I feel like I am not taking anything, I brought it up to my doctor and he told me they are the same it's like the placebo effect. NO I disagreed with him they are different and I feel different. Do I take something else? I hate to start over trying different meds. Any suggestions?"

Missbunny (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This review and rating is for the GENERIC of Pristiq (desvenlafaxine). I was recently switched to the generic due to my insurance policy. Took it for over a month and I have been getting panic attacks, heart palpitations, insomnia and depression. It was as if I wasn't taking any medication at all! I seem to have a sensitivity with certain generic drugs (also cannot take generic birth control pills). My doctor agreed and put me back on the brand name and it was a lot of hoop jumping with the insurance company to get this mail order pushed through and to avoid their $700 penalty fee for going back to brand names. If you are hesitant about the generic, definitely try the brand name!"

NewYorkGirl1984 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Pristiq for about 8 months. No problems, no side effects, my anxiety was magically gone. I have tried several medications and had side effects to all of them so I was amazed when I had 0 side effects to pristiq. This month my formulary changed and my insurance forced me to change to desvenlafaxine succinate ER instead of name brand. A week later I feel like I'm detoxing. Dizziness, light headedness, achy muscles and my anxiety keeps creeping up on me. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem?"

Char17 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on Effexor for a year, 2 different times for anxiety. Because my husband recommended Pristiq I decided to try it the next time I had to go back on anxiety meds. It has helped me tremendously. I couldn't bring myself to fly anymore (even though I love travelling more than anything else). Since being on Pristiq I've flown (with no anxiety issues at all) across the U.S., then to Europe, then to Hawaii. It also helps me with daily issues as well. The only drawback for me really is that I'm a little too calm now. I don't get excited about things as much as I use to. No more excessive worrying but also not too much joy either. Overall though, I prefer this over what I was feeling before."

vp89 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The only thing that has ever worked for my anxiety. It's so expensive, even with insurance, but I'd never try anything else."

LexiM (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"On Pristiq for my Generalized anxiety disorder I felt really positive, stopped wanting to harm myself, felt confident, was able to get to sleep, wanted to have sex, be outgoing, and not have the cyclical bursts of anxiety and rage. I didn't have panic attacks for a while on this medication until I had some situational issues that brought back my depression. As for the side effects, it actually forced me to stop taking the drug. Every night I was sweating PROFUSELY to the point I was waking up shivering and soaked in sweat; you would see an outline of my body from sweat on the sheets when I woke up. I also had EXTREMELY distressing violent nightmares. This occurred in conjunction when my depression came back, so it could be a possible reason for the sweating and night terrors."

FakingMunchausen (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 51 and suffer from anxiety issues. I was prescribed Prestiq 25mg and just one pill and I had the worst effects of any medication I have ever tried! Took at bedtime within 2 hours I was hallucinating, morning I had chills in my extremities lasted 9 hours felt drugged up I couldn't even drive! can't tell you how bad this experience was......"

Beachlover65 (taken for less than 1 month) October 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am only on day 2 for anxiety. I was on Effexor before for 7 years and it has helped my anxiety a lot but it recently stopped working. My doctor said it can happen when our bodies get used to the medication. I also didnt like the no libido side effect of effexor but I never bothered changing because it was working for anxiety. Pristiq is already calming me down. I havent had heart palpitations. My thoughts alone would create the heart palpitations and the effexor wasnt doing the job anymore in avoiding the phsysical sumptoms of anxiety. Pristiq seems good so far. pristiq brought my libido back !:) Also my insurance covers for the most part so I only pay $20/month. Im in Canada too ;) without insurance it would be about $90/month"

Allo001 August 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Pristiq for a half a year now. I started on 50mg and quickly worked my way up to 100mg. I take it specifically for anxiety. Aside from general anxiety disorder I have bipolar and so I take other drugs such as Lamictal, Lithium, and Latuda to help with depression. With Pristiq I don't experience much in the way of side effects. My doctor told me to watch out for fatigue, as it is a common side effect, but I was tired even before starting Pristiq so I can't comment on that. Recently I read about grinding teeth as an effect and finally I was able to explain why I have been doing that every day. But that's it for me. It has helped a lot with anxiety. Occasionally, however, I do have bouts. I don't think anything's full proof."

Tom in Chicago (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I suffer from Chronic Depression and High Anxiety all my life. Other medications work but I am so out of touch with reality I choose not to take them.. I started a 300mg twice a day dose of Oxcarbazepine with 50mg of Pristiq. I have only been taking this for two weeks but so far everything is great... I am experiencing what its like to be “Normal”... A feeling I have rarely experienced so it feels a little abnormal. Life is much better now.... the best I have ever felt.. I hope it works for years to come"

BeachFan43 (taken for less than 1 month) July 4, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have suffered from extreme anxiety all my life, although I did not discover the true identity of my problem until after my father's death in 1996. I had a hard time dealing with his death, and went into therapy. It didn't take long for my therapist to tell me the true nature of my problem. I was put on a couple of different medications, but nothing really worked for me until I went on Pristiq. This medication has made me a new person. I no longer obsess on minutiae, and I have become a serene, calm individual. Nothing really bothers me anymore. Pristiq has made my life worth living; I can't recommend it highly enough."

Sara S. June 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Doctor put me on Pristiq for anxiety.Took 3 weeks to get use to it.Horrible side effects.Excessive sweating, drowsiness(so I took it right before bed), headaches,Sometimes felt like I was getting shocked in the brain, I was hungry all the time.After taking this medication for 4 months I was still experiencing drowsiness and all those other side effects listed above. But my anxiety was gone. I stopped taking pristiq due to insurance problems.I had to quit cold turkey.It was the worst 3 days ever.I felt like I drank a bottle of Tequila the night before. My withdrawal symptoms felt like a hangover. Extremely tired, headache that wouldn't go away, Severely dehydrated, stomach pains, feeling weak and like a noodle, emotional, dizzy spells.etc"

Checker12 April 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Mole hills no longer turn into mountains. I don't over react to silly things and don't feel anywhere near as much anxiety as I did. People have noticed my moods are a lot more stable as well."

victa (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After 5 years of altering my life to avoid anxiety and panic attacks and having tried many different types of medication I finally was given pristiq. I started 5 days ago and talk about a HUGE and almost immediate difference! Initially there were headaches (few days off and on) but instant energy and stable mood without anxiety! It's weird but things actually seem visually brighter and my sense of smell has increased. Appetite is down as smells are making my stomach churn so sticking with very bland foods and tons of fluids. Wide awake at night but that's normal for me. I am so grateful for feeling normal again!"

happy to feel normal again (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on lexapro for 5 years at 30 mg but was tired of always being tired all day and not caring, after the DNA test I found out lexapro wasn't for me and my dr switched me to pristiq- it's only day 6 but I notice more energy and less anxious. Hopefully this continues to improve and work- will update later."

DavidG21 December 23, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'd taken my first dose yesterday, within four hours I woke up to severe vomiting and diarrhoea. Both the pharmacist and my GP stated that the bad side effects should be gone within a week. I friggin hope so. About to take the second. I'll post again in a week (if I can remember)"

Brittybritt (taken for less than 1 month) December 4, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on pristiq for approx 2 weeks for anxiety and dizziness and disequilibrium. The first week was rough with sweating and a little nausea but no tiredness. From day 9 I have noticed a good boost in energy and a change in how I have been managing my anxiety with increased confidence and reduced dizziness. I will keep taking it but won't be looking forward to coming off it when the time comes. It has given me a new out look on life which is a big positive."

kiwiinoz27 (taken for less than 1 month) October 9, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was very sceptical when my doctor recommended Pristiq, mainly because I read many very negative reviews on a lot of sites. As a result my prescription sat in my draw for 2 months. Then one particularly bad day I decided to try it, best thing I ever did! I felt better after 3 days, after taking it now for 5 months, I feel like my old self again. No panic attacks, no molehills feeling like mountains. Just calm & at long last peace. But the best thing is I lost 10 kilo's, I can only put it down to Pristiq, because I'm certainly not on a diet. I just feel as hungry as I used to when I was depressed, then I just ate to feel better, not that it worked. But for now I am feeling very happy & blessed."

Rafaella (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took Pristiq for 3 days and stopped it myself. I was taking it for anxiety. The first day I took it, my anxiety seemed worse. I was very jittery and extremely sleepy. I could fall asleep anywhere at any time of the day. The second day, my body still felt on edge. I started having bad thoughts that I would have never had before. Then I started feeling nauseous at times. The third day of taking it, I was so unhappy. I wasn't enjoying anything. I wasn't excited about anything. I still felt extremely sleepy and had bad thoughts going through my mind. I stopped taking it a couple of days ago. I feel a lot better than I did, but I still think it's going to take a little longer for this stuff to get out of my system!"

Anonymous25 (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed pristiq last year for depression & anxiety. At 1st I did not want to take any meds due to a bad experience with Prozac when I was 30. I am now in my 50s. After the first day I felt amazingly better. I got up early & felt incredible clarity, focus & worthiness. At that time I weighed 120. I gained 5lbs & probably lost muscle. Prior to pristiq I was very physically active. I feel very calm now & go for walks but for whatever reason I do not work out like I did before. Soon after getting on pristiq I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism even though I was quite fit & thin. So I was put on levothyroxine for that condition. I would say the weight gain & some sleepiness has been a side effect for me but not sure from which medicine."

Southgirl March 9, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine): "I take Wellburtin XL 150mg and Pristiq and have been since 2009. Tried to go off of Pristiq twice because my sodium level is a bit low. Within a month of being off of Pristiq I got my old anxiety attacks, panic, insomnia, etc., so the positive definitely outweighs the negative. Hopefully, my sodium will be corrected now that I'm seeing a specialist for it, but for me Pristiq and Wellbutrin XL work wonders and I don't plan to go off either ever again."

jelopa418 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 21, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking Pristiq and noticed a huge improvement within 2 days. I had been experiencing immense anxiety which made me scattered and often manic. The mood swings and feelings of doubt, inadequacy, perfectionism and worthlessness brought on by my anxiety had become overwhelming and caused me to sink into major depression. All of these feelings lifted largely withing 4 days of Pristiq. I feel focused, more interested in my old hobbies, much less anxious in general, and no depression. I do not feel foggy or like a different person, rather I feel like my old self. Minor SEs including dehydration (fainted once) and aching jaw."

LydiaJ26 (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had been feeling depressed and anxious for years and was loathing to go on medication. Tried all sorts of herbs and supplements with very little effect. I took 50mg of Pristig and felt better that day. Anxiety is gone, depression lifted, feel so much better."

kilo 1 (taken for less than 1 month) October 5, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I too have been on many different Meds for depression and anxiety. Nothing worked so great as Pristiq, but you did not lose any time not taking this. This is a very new med out, and that is why we are all getting it now and having good reports. When it is approved it will be covered by your medical plan. It is the best thing that ever happened to me. I highly recommend it. Had no side effects."

MickeyO July 22, 2013