User Reviews for Desvenlafaxine to treat Anxiety

Also known as: Pristiq

Desvenlafaxine has an average rating of 7.1 out of 10 from a total of 156 ratings for the treatment of Anxiety. 65% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 19% reported a negative effect.

Desvenlafaxine Rating Summary

7.1/10 average rating

Compare all 141 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Desvenlafaxine

Dio · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 13, 2021

“It's an amazing drug indeed. I was suffering from heavy anxiety in the early days of quarantine in 2020 and my doctor told me to start taking desvenlafaxine 50mg with 20mg of Frisium. After 2 months I began taking only 100mg of desvenlafaxine and my life has been much better. Overall, my anxiety is non existent and I don't crazily worry about small things like before. The only negative point which I don't even care is that I sometimes feel a little slow in my thoughts. Not dumb but I take thoughts calmly. This weekend I forgot to buy my meds and I did not take it for 2 days. My life was a nightmare. Headache, dizziness, confused and vivid dreams, stress and anxiety. So, never forget to buy extra quantities whenever you can”

Mklos June 27, 2021

“I am on day 3. Weaning off 20 mg Lexapro, at 10 mg/day for 1 week my house is spotless! But with deaths of parents and sister in 10 years, I have been hit hard, 10 years ago. People need to understand, no matter how strong a person you are, this nasty anxiety has no bias! I felt I was letting everyone down I loved, this alone causes you depression, hard to explain. I have an outgoing personality as I work with the public daily, in truth..that is what saved me to make it through another day. Most times I didn't want to go home after work. The house, mess...no one respecting my little requests, eg. picking up shoes, putting their own back packs out of the hallway, I'd leave notes to - it just made me feel sad and alone. I'm hopeful now I found relief! Wonder how family will respond? Besides always pushing my buttons for a reaction.”

Me · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 7, 2021

“Definitely helped with anxiety, was a noticeable change. I am a 21 year old male with GAD.”

Bob · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 1, 2020

“I felt the need to provide my experience here after reading so many other comments. This drug b has quite honestly saved my life. Anxiety, nervousness, control issues, and related anger issues would rule my behavior and was taking a major toll on my family. I've been this drug for many years now and it turned everything around for me completely. I'm able to live a somewhat normal and happy life specifically because of this medication. I know everyone's situation is different, but taking this medication was one of the best decisions of my life, and I have no problem continuing to take it for the rest of my life.”

Anonymous February 8, 2020

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine): “I'm in love with prestiq.I had a breakdown where I was just over stressed and I couldn't stay awake. I slept for 3 days straight. My doctor put me on lexapro which made me feel annoyed. I went back and asked him for some Valium. For 2 years I took Valium every couple of days but wanted to get off it as it's not good long term but I couldn't stay awake without it, and my anxiety was really peaking when I didn't have it. I was scared to try anti depressants again but my doctor said pristiq should work so I tried it and fell in love with it. I've been on it for 3 years and it has done wonders for me. I only take a 50mg dose which has really calmed my anxiety down and dulled my flight reflex. My doctor wanted me to start coming off it but I have no interest in doing so until my kids are big. I feel I cope so much better when I am on it. Im so grateful to that doctor for convincing me to try it. In the beginning I felt a bit out of it and high for about a week, the tight jaw and shaking that went away soon”

JM February 18, 2020

“This drug has been amazing for me. I have always been a little anxious but no issues. Then I had appendicitis that hospital failed to diagnose despite repeated visits for 8 days. This progressed to peritonitis and sepsis and I was in hospital for 5 weeks, after nearly dying. I went back to work ASAP and then realised I was on the brink of a breakdown. Constant crying and hospital flashbacks and unable to sleep. I went to a new GP desperate for help and he recommended Pristiq. I had the first four days of side effects - bad headache, feeling out of sorts, constipation - but after two weeks I felt better. The anxiety? Turned off like a tap. No more constant running of negative thoughts or traumatic flashbacks. It has been amazing. Only issue I have with it now is some days I feel utterly exhausted but it’s not every day, and the freedom from the anxiety is the best - I am a better partner and better colleague. I’ve never taken anti depressants before and I’m a convert now.”

EJK November 13, 2018

“I researched this medication for a year before deciding to try it because I was so nervous about side effects. I have had terrible side effects from other medications that were recommended for anxiety, including Lexapro, propranolol, Ativan, and buspirone, and they didn't noticeably decrease the anxiety (never mind the actual nightmare of coming off Ativan). I decided to try adding Pristiq, which was on my "recommended" list from genetic testing. The side effects I have experienced are EXTREMELY minor and my anxiety began to abate within only a week. It got better every week I was on it, and I've now been taking it for nearly six months. The difference is night and day. I experienced insomnia for about the first two weeks I was on it. I also experienced constipation. I feel like I sleep better with it. I take 50 mg a day. I know Pristiq is not for everybody and I was very nervous about taking it, but I'm so glad I tried it. I plan to keep taking it as long as it works.”

OilPainter1985 · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 17, 2019

“I've been on Pristiq for anxiety for over half a decade and honestly I think it's great. Sure it's a bit of a crutch. But I've managed to achieve my university degree, meet, marry and bare children with the love of my life all while under the influence of Pristiq. I was actually prescribed Pristiq due to my anxiety and it has worked a treat. It's worth noting that I am on 200mg a day and every time I get my script filled the doc has to call up poisons control. But it's all good in the hood for me. Just have it with my coffee in the morning and try and get on with my life. I've achieved a lot while on Pristiq and I'm sure it has given me additional confidence and makes me more sexual, lasting and sensual. It's been win win win for me.”

Jam · Taken for less than 1 month December 21, 2020

“I have severe Anxiety, PTSD, MDD and so have been taking Pristiq for seven days now. The first three days I was zonked and did not feel emotions, prior to this I was experiencing nightmares and anxiety attacks from childhood trauma along with vivid memories which would make me feel like I was reliving the event, so starting off zonked was not bad for me. For the past two mornings, no where near as dopey but I have woken and almost instantly have "anxiety belly" I can feel the stressful thoughts trying to seep through but they're not as loud as usual. Today is my seventh day, I woke up and today my anxiety belly is not as bad but still there. I really hope my physical anxiety will cease with the medication. Sick of not being able to live my life :(”

Jay · Taken for less than 1 month July 11, 2019

“Before I began this medication, I had terrible anxiety. I was barely functioning. I am currently on day 13 and I really started to notice a difference on day 10. They say it takes months for symptoms of depression to improve but this works pretty quickly for anxiety. The side effects I am experiencing are constipation and brain fog. Hopefully that lets up, but I am feeling much better without being constantly anxious. My anxiety has gone from a 10 down to a 2 on a 1-10 scale.”

Mara · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 2, 2020

“After being on Venlor for a year and a half, the medication suddenly stopped working during my final year of high school, ensuing in a damn difficult year emotionally and mentally. This year May, I decided to try Exsira (generic of Pristiq - cannot get the generic in my country). The first 4 weeks were difficult with difficulty sleeping in the first week, heightened anxiety, and waking up so fatigued and drained throughout the day. Most of the side effects subsided except the fatigue which truly became debilitating - especially during quarantine. So I'm officially stopping this medication soon and trialling another. Reminder - Just because this medication didn't work out for me, does not mean it won't for you. I had such hope that it would work because Venlor did, but everyone is different. Don't let horrible reviews discourage you, everything is worth a try to be happy, so keep at it! Sending my best to all of you struggling, you got this <3 Mara, 18”

Nina November 22, 2020

“Okay I suffer from PTSD childhood trauma. Fast forward I want my life back and decided to seek help. All the therapist are booked and backed up due to people struggling with mental illness since this quarantine and covid stuff. So my primary dr got me on this medication because I was losing it I felt it. Three weeks now I feel amazing. I will say this medication you shouldn't forget a day or two like I did because I felt so sick and run down. Nausea and body aches wow. I know its helping me because I'm more positive and don't feel so worthless anymore.”

June22 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 1, 2019

“I have suffered from moderately severe anxiety for most of my life. No depression. I took Paxil CR for about 3 years and it worked very well for about 2 years, then stopped working. Switched to Pristiq and feel much better. It took about 3 weeks to notice any change in my anxiety, but it definitely works. I've been on 50mg for a month now. Only side effects are dry mouth and some excessive tiredness, but that is so much better than being on edge all the time. Some reduced appetite, nausea and insomnia when first beginning this med but has since gone away. Only gave 9/10 because I'm only a month into this med and probably haven't reached the full benefit yet. Also take Xanax a few times a week (1mg), and while that works amazing for situational anxiety, it doesn't work for generalized all day everyday anxiety. Pristiq is working very well for me! Hope I don't jinx it.”

Naninzoo · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 5, 2020

“I used to have terrible panic attacks and have had anxiety since I was a kid. Pristiq took my anxiety away. A lot of people say it didn't help them or gave them terrible side effects but for me, it was a life-changer.”

Pristine · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 25, 2018

“Please give this drug a try if you are unsure. For years I have tried to avoid taking medication due to an extremely negative experience with paxil as a teenager. Over the years I have tried natural remedies such as hypnotherapy, therapy, bodytalk, reflexology, meditation and exercise. I have always suffered from extreme shame and severe anxiety. I hit a recent downward spiral of depression and I was scared of what might happen and called my doctor. I have been on pristiq for 2 months and regret not taking it sooner. My anxiety is at an all time low and my depression has subsided. My motivation has returned and even my confidence. I was scared to try it with all of the negative reviews but so happy I did. I initial noticed loss of appetite and trouble sleeping the first 2 weeks then after that it has been smooth sailing. The only issue I now struggle with is trouble reaching orgasm but if that's my only issue. I'll take it. I have also continued body talk and therapy”

Mousie · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 20, 2020

“I have only been on this for 11 days, I’m really tired during the day ,and can take a three hour nap, my doctor said about three weeks and it would be a great change for me. I’m looking forward to the serotonin clicking in my brain!!! I get a bit shaky, and a bit dizzy, Little bit of brain fog. I figure after three weeks if this continues then I won’t be taking it. But honestly I’m looking forward to it working. So I’m doing this with a positive attitude!!!”

Loving life · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 18, 2019

“I used to have severe anxiety to the point where I had to drop out of public school and began online school. I couldn't leave the house to even get the mail, all curtains had to be closed, and I started getting extremely depressed. After 2 years of therapy and countless medications with no positive effect, my doctor prescribed me Pristiq. A few months later, I was almost anxiety free and back to public school. That was a little over a year ago, and I'm now the happiest I have ever been. I have little to no anxiety or depression anymore. The only problem I've ever had with this medicine is the withdrawal when I forget to take a dose of it (extreme dizziness and brain fog) but that's avoidable.”

Harold · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 6, 2020

“Great, life changing. I'm so glad I agreed to go on Desvenlafaxine, I feel like my old self again. It suppresses those feelings you have no control over regardless of how hard you try. Some side effects included initial constipation, jittery jaw, feeling a bit dizzy, but all subsided after a few weeks. Dry mouth still persists and if I forget to take it for a day I get the dizzy type feeling, but this goes when I get back on track with it. Side effects are well worth the positives. I have now halved the does to 25 mg (I cut a 50 mg myself as thats the lowest dose) and feel it still helps me. I am slowly working towards reducing the dose, I will see how I go through winter on 25 mg, but I will have no concerns to go back up to 50, and/or even stay on it forever if needed! It has improved my quality of life immensely.”

Nathalia · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 10, 2019

“I've been taking this medicine for about 7 months. In the beginning, I suffered through some extreme side effects (my body felt really heavy, couldn't leave the bed, lot's of nausea, etc) but after 10 days it started getting better (so if you can, try pushing through the side effects). I started taking desvenlafaxine for depression and anxiety and while it has KINDA helped with my depression I feel almost anxiety-free. Before the medication, I couldn't make a phone call without having an anxiety attack, and I had some serious tachycardia but now I don't feel any of it. One downside I felt from the medication was that I started feeling really drowsy and couldn't quite focus on my everyday tasks. I talked to my doctor tho and he recommended that I start taking bupropion alongside desvenlaxine so I hope that helps! Overall, I think this is a great med.”

Char17 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 2, 2017

“I have been taking Pristiq for about 8 months. No problems, no side effects, my anxiety was magically gone. I have tried several medications and had side effects to all of them so I was amazed when I had 0 side effects to pristiq. This month my formulary changed and my insurance forced me to change to desvenlafaxine succinate ER instead of name brand. A week later I feel like I'm detoxing. Dizziness, light headedness, achy muscles and my anxiety keeps creeping up on me. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem?”

Mother's Little Helper January 7, 2009

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine): “Wow is all I can say. I did not realize how lousy I was feeling until I started this drug. I feel so much better. The first two days I was jittery and the first week slightly queasy but I noticed by day two an increase in my energy and desire to do my everyday activities and a DECREASE in my appetite. I have no desire to binge eat like I do when my anxiety is bad. I have so much more patience with my children. I still have anxiety but it is calmed with Klonopin and I am starting Buspar this evening before bed. The only bad thing is that it has been very constipating for me. I drink prune juice and have added fiber and Metamucil but it is still a problem. I have taken many meds over the years but I truly find this a miracle drug.”

LindsTay · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 6, 2013

“I have been on this medicine for about a year now and I have to say it has completely changed my life. I suffer from extreme panic disorder and generalized anxiety disorder. It was to the point that I could not be left alone without having a panic attack. I couldn't drive on my own, had trouble going to work, it was spiraling into a dark depression so I finally decided to try some different medicines to see which would work the best. I tried Zoloft and it intensified these feelings of terror, I tried to stay on it but just could not stand it any longer. Then I found Pristiq, it has been an absolute miracle to me. I can do more now than I have been able to for years! I am elated to have found this. I feel like I can face the day!”

I could not leave the house · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 27, 2018

“I was to the point that I would look out the window to make sure no one was out side just so I could pop outside to get the mail, Just the idea of having to shop for food made me have chest pains and cry I could not do it anymore ... So I went back to the doctor and started this medication after 2 weeks I felt human again . I was myself for months but then I forgot to pick up my prescription and then it was a holiday and I thought it would be ok because it took so long to go into my system ... I was crying in the line at the pharmacy because my chest hurt and I could not breath my anxiety was back and bad . It was not ok do not miss a few days when you have bad anxiety it is still there waiting to overtake you :( I am back on it and doing well .I now am on a ready fill program that will call me a few days before I run out so it never happens again .”

Sara S. June 16, 2016

“I have suffered from extreme anxiety all my life, although I did not discover the true identity of my problem until after my father's death in 1996. I had a hard time dealing with his death, and went into therapy. It didn't take long for my therapist to tell me the true nature of my problem. I was put on a couple of different medications, but nothing really worked for me until I went on Pristiq. This medication has made me a new person. I no longer obsess on minutiae, and I have become a serene, calm individual. Nothing really bothers me anymore. Pristiq has made my life worth living; I can't recommend it highly enough.”

sbosarge5003 October 25, 2008

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine): “I have been taking Pristiq for 3 days now. I take it to help with anxiety. I have lost 7 pounds in 3 days and I feel great. I'm calmer now and I have more patience with my two year old son. I had a slight problem with nausea and I had no appetite, but apart from that I can feel a huge difference in only 3 days.”

Anxiouschick · Taken for less than 1 month March 29, 2020

“I have decided to come off this medication desvenlafaxine after 10 days of nightmarish living. I haven't had panic attacks in over 10 years and yet on this medication I have had 3 in the last 10 days. If anything this medication has made me realise that my symptoms are probably really mild and that I don't need medication. My partner came home one night and literally thought I was on drugs because of how wired I was from this medication.”

jelopa418 · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 21, 2014

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine): “I take Wellburtin XL 150mg and Pristiq and have been since 2009. Tried to go off of Pristiq twice because my sodium level is a bit low. Within a month of being off of Pristiq I got my old anxiety attacks, panic, insomnia, etc., so the positive definitely outweighs the negative. Hopefully, my sodium will be corrected now that I'm seeing a specialist for it, but for me Pristiq and Wellbutrin XL work wonders and I don't plan to go off either ever again.”

Anonymous February 28, 2009

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine): “Taking Pristiq for severe panic attacks as prescribed by my GP. 6th day into it and already feeling much more calm and clear headed. Some nausea and a little constipation, but please - if that is the trade off to feel much better - than so be it. Not planning on a long-term relationship with Pristiq, however. Using this in conjunction with therapy so I can have some relief while I work through finding the real emotional root of my problems. Pristiq is only a band-aid while I try to heal whatever wounds. Give Pristiq a try, everyone reacts differently, but it has truly been amazing for me so far. Good luck to you, all.”