User Reviews for Desvenlafaxine to treat Anxiety

Also known as: Pristiq, Khedezla

Desvenlafaxine Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 160 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Desvenlafaxine

OilPainter1985 · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 17, 2019

"I've been on Pristiq for anxiety for over half a decade and honestly I think it's great. Sure it's a bit of a crutch. But I've managed to achieve my university degree, meet, marry and bare children with the love of my life all while under the influence of Pristiq. I was actually prescribed Pristiq due to my anxiety and it has worked a treat. It's worth noting that I am on 200mg a day and every time I get my script filled the doc has to call up poisons control. But it's all good in the hood for me. Just have it with my coffee in the morning and try and get on with my life. I've achieved a lot while on Pristiq and I'm sure it has given me additional confidence and makes me more sexual, lasting and sensual. It's been win win win for me."

Jay · Taken for less than 1 month July 11, 2019

"Before I began this medication, I had terrible anxiety. I was barely functioning. I am currently on day 13 and I really started to notice a difference on day 10. They say it takes months for symptoms of depression to improve but this works pretty quickly for anxiety. The side effects I am experiencing are constipation and brain fog. Hopefully that lets up, but I am feeling much better without being constantly anxious. My anxiety has gone from a 10 down to a 2 on a 1-10 scale."

Anonymous June 28, 2019

"I've taken desvenlafaxine for about 18 months and in the beginning it worked great for me. It helped me feel happy for the first time in years. But I have severe anxiety issues that it no longer works for with out an increase. I want to get off of medications now because ultimately I am the source of the solution for every issue I have. "

Jbird · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 19, 2019

"I’ve been on desvenlafaxine for 10 months. It worked great for my anxiety (which it was prescribed for). However I did gain almost 20 pounds 135 -155pds :(. Due to this I have stopped taking it."

Loving life · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 18, 2019

"I used to have severe anxiety to the point where I had to drop out of public school and began online school. I couldn't leave the house to even get the mail, all curtains had to be closed, and I started getting extremely depressed. After 2 years of therapy and countless medications with no positive effect, my doctor prescribed me Pristiq. A few months later, I was almost anxiety free and back to public school. That was a little over a year ago, and I'm now the happiest I have ever been. I have little to no anxiety or depression anymore. The only problem I've ever had with this medicine is the withdrawal when I forget to take a dose of it (extreme dizziness and brain fog) but that's avoidable."

Wal · Taken for less than 1 month January 14, 2019

"Not good for me. After the first 2 days no real side affects. Day 4, couldn't settle. Walking around the house and garden feeling sick in the stomach. Day 5. Eight hours of on and off panic attacks. Night five, extreme anxiety all night. Day six did not take it and resumed to normal by the afternoon. Awful reaction. Never again!!"

June22 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 1, 2019

"I have suffered from moderately severe anxiety for most of my life. No depression. I took Paxil CR for about 3 years and it worked very well for about 2 years, then stopped working. Switched to Pristiq and feel much better. It took about 3 weeks to notice any change in my anxiety, but it definitely works. I've been on 50mg for a month now. Only side effects are dry mouth and some excessive tiredness, but that is so much better than being on edge all the time. Some reduced appetite, nausea and insomnia when first beginning this med but has since gone away. Only gave 9/10 because I'm only a month into this med and probably haven't reached the full benefit yet. Also take Xanax a few times a week (1mg), and while that works amazing for situational anxiety, it doesn't work for generalized all day everyday anxiety. Pristiq is working very well for me! Hope I don't jinx it."

I could not leave the house · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 27, 2018

"I was to the point that I would look out the window to make sure no one was out side just so I could pop outside to get the mail, Just the idea of having to shop for food made me have chest pains and cry I could not do it anymore ... So I went back to the doctor and started this medication after 2 weeks I felt human again . I was myself for months but then I forgot to pick up my prescription and then it was a holiday and I thought it would be ok because it took so long to go into my system ... I was crying in the line at the pharmacy because my chest hurt and I could not breath my anxiety was back and bad . It was not ok do not miss a few days when you have bad anxiety it is still there waiting to overtake you :( I am back on it and doing well .I now am on a ready fill program that will call me a few days before I run out so it never happens again ."

EJK November 13, 2018

"I researched this medication for a year before deciding to try it because I was so nervous about side effects. I have had terrible side effects from other medications that were recommended for anxiety, including Lexapro, propranolol, Ativan, and buspirone, and they didn't noticeably decrease the anxiety (never mind the actual nightmare of coming off Ativan). I decided to try adding Pristiq, which was on my "recommended" list from genetic testing. The side effects I have experienced are EXTREMELY minor and my anxiety began to abate within only a week. It got better every week I was on it, and I've now been taking it for nearly six months. The difference is night and day. I experienced insomnia for about the first two weeks I was on it. I also experienced constipation. I feel like I sleep better with it. I take 50 mg a day. I know Pristiq is not for everybody and I was very nervous about taking it, but I'm so glad I tried it. I plan to keep taking it as long as it works."

Anxiety101 September 1, 2018

"Was hesitant to try this because I've seen bad reviews. The first couple days I was filled with anxiety but I started a new medication so I pushed on. About the 4th day of taking it I got super light headed and fainted. I called my doctor told and he told me to drink more water and so I kept with it. I was still feeling light headed every so often. The second week I had a good two days of no anxiety felt like it was working, then the next day a wave of thoughts and anxiety crashed into me again. I kept with it because doc said two to three weeks, well after a month of taking it. It didn't get any better. Actually it got much worse, more anxiety on this medication than ever before. This did not work for me and I get that everybody is different but I've tried a lot of different medication but this was definitely the worst."

Anxiety Queen · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 11, 2018

"I've been on this medication for about 2 months or so, maybe longer and I can tell you it doesn't do much. I have severe panic disorder and anxiety. I may as well not take the medicine if I want to be this miserable. I'm hesitant to come off since nothing seems to be helpful. I'm a 30 year old female and wish to have a life in which I can function and enjoy."

Pristine · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 25, 2018

"Please give this drug a try if you are unsure. For years I have tried to avoid taking medication due to an extremely negative experience with paxil as a teenager. Over the years I have tried natural remedies such as hypnotherapy, therapy, bodytalk, reflexology, meditation and exercise. I have always suffered from extreme shame and severe anxiety. I hit a recent downward spiral of depression and I was scared of what might happen and called my doctor. I have been on pristiq for 2 months and regret not taking it sooner. My anxiety is at an all time low and my depression has subsided. My motivation has returned and even my confidence. I was scared to try it with all of the negative reviews but so happy I did. I initial noticed loss of appetite and trouble sleeping the first 2 weeks then after that it has been smooth sailing. The only issue I now struggle with is trouble reaching orgasm but if that's my only issue. I'll take it. I have also continued body talk and therapy"

MMike · Taken for less than 1 month July 10, 2018

"Pristiq was working very well for my severe anxiety and panic during the first week. Unfortunately I had stomach pain, nausea, and dry mouth. All side effects disappeared after 3 weeks with the exception of nausea. And by week 3 the Pristiq was no longer helping with the anxiety."

Bob April 25, 2018

"I started by taking 25mg at night at around 8:00PM, didn't go to sleep till 2:30AM, and strangely wasn't very tired. As I laid in bed, I felt an overwhelming sense of panic creep in which slowly grow much, MUCH worse. I ended up getting out of bed and paced back and forth inside my room, where my mind felt like it was racing at 1000x a second. My body began to shake, my vision decreased slightly, I lost my coordination, felt it very hard to concentrate, and at one point it felt like my legs wanted to give out from underneath me. Most importantly, I had the biggest panic attack I've ever experienced, and was very heavily breathing. I may have been experiencing something known as Serotonin Syndrome, which can induce seizure. Thankfully I had some Clonazepam on hand and took a small dose to calm myself down which helped significantly. I will be indefinitely discontinuing the use of all SSRI and SNRI's in the future, courtesy of the side effects of desvenlafaxine."

Blu April 10, 2018

"It isn’t working at all for me. I have been taking Pristiq for 1 year and there is no change in me mentally. I feel like it’s just a brand sold to 100s of people for money. I mean is there even an active ingredient in it that make you better in this pill? I feel like you should get a second opinion if someone prescribes Pristiq to you."

SuperDuper · Taken for less than 1 month March 3, 2018

"I was switched about three days ago from Cymbalta to generic Prestiq. Thus far its all good. I am much more awake all day long and for the first time in years I am thinking of going out to buy some new clothes. I know its early but thus far I am so happy to not be so tired any more and I have become more productive in my work."

Cekropian February 13, 2018

"I have not been on this too long, but so far so good. I did a DNA saliva test a few years back with a mental health nurse practitioner, and Pristiq came out as my number one choice. Since it was not in generic form at the time, I opted for choice #2, generic Paxil, for insurance/money reasons. That has worked very well for my anxiety for 3 years, but the one side-effect that has driven me nuts was always feeling sooo tired in the morning. Since the generic for Pristiq has come out, I decided to switch, and I already feel more awake and energetic in the morning. I have tried a plethora of anti-anxiety meds over the years, always with side effects or they just quit working. Knowing that everybody has a different body chemistry and reactions to medication vary greatly, I HIGHLY recommend doing the DNA test if you can. It has been a real life changer for me and the change from generic Paxil to Pristiq has been seamless."

J desrosiers November 19, 2017

"Bad side effect of brain fog outweighed the benefits."

Hfxbetter · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 8, 2017

"I want to encourage anything who is sitting on the fence to give this medication a try. For years I had debated about going on medication for anxiety, instead I was always trying to find natural remedies and involved in intensive psychotherapy. While the therapy was incredibly helpful in many areas of my life the anxiety persisted. I tried this medication and am so incredibly happy that I did. The first two days were unpleasant, felt like I had a cold and my sleep was not great. After the first few days my sleep returned to normal and the only major symptoms I experienced was sweating and some erectile challenges. I have been on the medication for over a month now and the sweating has reduced substantially and minimum concerns with erection"

Shannonlee October 22, 2017

"I’ve been on 50 mg of Pristiq for 6 months and I find I am easily agitated and my sex life is suffering. I may as well live on an island "

Seekingserinity September 30, 2017

"I've had mostly a positive experience with Pristq. Some nervousness but I think I'm still adjusting to it. I've seen several people post on the generic not being effective so before I started taking it I did some digging and discovered that Greenstone is a subsidery of Pfizer and they distribute an authorized generic. Authorized generics are the name brand repackaged as a generic. "

Worriednomore · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 8, 2017

"After trying a myriad of medications for my postpartum anxiety, all which brought on profound side effects such as depression, insomnia, rage, no feelings whatsoever, etc, I was placed on Pristine/ Desvenalfaxine. I have not had to take medication for anxiety or depression previously and was to the point where I intended to suffer through the anxiety rather than the side effects. This medication however, has been a lifesaver. I feel fantastic and very much like myself. I want to do normal things, taking care of my son doesn't make me feel like I'm going to worry myself into an early grave. I'm not having heart palpitations. I can actually work and be productive opposed to constant worry. It is working!"

Missbunny · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 1, 2017

"I had been taking Pristiq 50mg for sometime and felt great my anxiety, tiredness and sadness gone, with changes in our insurance I was given the generic Desvenlafaxine SUC ER 50mg, I noticed within a week I was feeling different. I continued to take it for three months and I feel like I am not taking anything, I brought it up to my doctor and he told me they are the same it's like the placebo effect. NO I disagreed with him they are different and I feel different. Do I take something else? I hate to start over trying different meds. Any suggestions?"

NewYorkGirl1984 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 24, 2017

"This review and rating is for the GENERIC of Pristiq (desvenlafaxine). I was recently switched to the generic due to my insurance policy. Took it for over a month and I have been getting panic attacks, heart palpitations, insomnia and depression. It was as if I wasn't taking any medication at all! I seem to have a sensitivity with certain generic drugs (also cannot take generic birth control pills). My doctor agreed and put me back on the brand name and it was a lot of hoop jumping with the insurance company to get this mail order pushed through and to avoid their $700 penalty fee for going back to brand names. If you are hesitant about the generic, definitely try the brand name!"

Char17 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 2, 2017

"I have been taking Pristiq for about 8 months. No problems, no side effects, my anxiety was magically gone. I have tried several medications and had side effects to all of them so I was amazed when I had 0 side effects to pristiq. This month my formulary changed and my insurance forced me to change to desvenlafaxine succinate ER instead of name brand. A week later I feel like I'm detoxing. Dizziness, light headedness, achy muscles and my anxiety keeps creeping up on me. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem?"

Learn more about Anxiety

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)