User Reviews for Cetirizine

Also known as: Zyrtec, Aller-Tec, Equate Allergy Relief, Alleroff, Quzyttir, PediaCare Children's 24-Hour Allergy, All Day Allergy Children's, All Day Allergy, Children's Allergy Relief, Zyrtec Hives, Aller-Tec Children's

Urticaria 7.0
Allergic Rhinitis 5.9
Physical Urticaria 1.0
Summary of Cetirizine reviews 6.2 206 reviews

Reviews for Cetirizine

DArm · Taken for less than 1 month June 28, 2020

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Allergic Rhinitis: “Allergy triggers have been ruthless this year so I had to bring the ol' Zyrtec out of the cabinet. Everything was great at first but then I started experiencing nausea that grew worse as the weeks went on. In between weeks three and four, I decided that it was becoming unbearable and also remembered this as being why I stopped taking Zyrtec when I got this bottle last year. My last dose was three days ago. I, like most here, developed the burning/itching withdrawal symptom about 48 hours after my last dose but has not been as severe as some describe nor was it the last time I stopped. My guess is that most reporting intense experiences have taken Zyrtec long term while I was only a month in this time and roughly two months the last time I took it. I can imagine how bad it could get if it's as noticeable as it is for me after only a month though. My advice would be to not use this stuff regularly if possible or at all if you can avoid it altogether.”

Anonymous June 27, 2020

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Allergic Rhinitis: “My doctor gave me a prescription Zyrtec and I took it for a month but realized that when I didn’t take my dose my hands and feet would start itching uncontrollably so I took the Zyrtec and the itching was gone so that’s when I realized it was the Zyrtec that was causing my itch. So, I went to taking Claritin and it did the same thing to me as the Zyrtec. Now I’m taking Xzyal and I can’t stop taking it because my hands start to itch like crazy. Zyrtec was the medicine that started it all. So, I’m trying to wean my self off any of this allergy medicine.”

Anonymous June 4, 2020

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Allergic Rhinitis: “I was prescribed Zyrtec by my doctor when I was very young, for my seasonal allergies. A few years later I started taking it every day and this kept going on for 4 years (daily usage). I will not deny the fact that Zyrtec is the most effective allergy pill I have EVER taken, and that even though it doesn’t completely relieve me from ALL my allergy symptoms it is fast and effective. However, nothing is perfect. I decided to stop it because I’ve become too dependent on it. I’m sure it’s going to be a tough journey but I’m willing to do this for the sake of my body. It makes you drowsy, affects your sleep (I have always been a light sleeper, but Zyrtec made it impossible for me to feel like I slept well), causes depression and worsens my anxiety. I also read that it causes weight gain. I was 60 KG before and was noticeably slimmer. I gained 10 KG’s in the span of 4 years. Itching is better than being physically dependent on something as strong as Zyrtec.”

Sleepless in Clermont May 30, 2020

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Allergic Rhinitis: “Quitting Zyrtec is the worst! For 4 days now I itch everywhere. Really waning to chop my hands and feet off. Trying not to give in but this is hell. Once this is under control I will NEVER use Zyrtec again. Wish I knew about this before I started.”

JL May 6, 2020

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Allergic Rhinitis: “I have had seasonal allergies starting about 15 years ago until now. I have also had sinusitis since I was a teenager. Both the generic and brand name Cetirizine works the same for me, but the generic is SIGNIFICANTLY CHEAPER! As soon as I start getting itchy or watery eyes, sneezing from an unknown source, etc.. I will take a pill, and 95% of the time I will start getting relief within 30 to 45 minutes. As far as my sinusitis goes, I will have to take Zyrtec-D or my headaches from the sinus pressure will not subside or go away. I have no itching or heart palpitations on regular cetirizine but did notice occasional palpitations or increased heart rate with Zyrtec-D. This is somewhat expected since Zyrtec-D has Pseudoephedrine in it(the stuff used to make Methamphetamine). I would suggest that if anyone is having heart palpitation issues when using Zyrtec, make sure you're not taking Zyrtec-D as they are not the same thing.”

JJ · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 3, 2020

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Allergic Rhinitis: “There is not a single good enough reason to start taking Zyrtec. I’ve tried to quit multiple times and I end up having to take it again because of the relentless itchiness. On top of that it makes you quite drowsy and doesn’t fix the allergy symptoms I started taking it for. Since trying to quit for the 3rd time I’ve also experienced severe headaches and neck pain. Weaning yourself off seems to be the best option.”

Irene · Taken for less than 1 month May 2, 2020

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Allergic Rhinitis: “I’d been taking Zyrtec for two weeks when I was suddenly hit with rapid irregular heartbeat. I wasn’t doing anything much at the time, I’ve never had a heart problem, I’m 41, healthy and active. I stood still and breathed calmly, drank some water, it got better but I’d just taken the Zyrtec an hour before so I was still at full dose for 24hrs after that. Zyrtec is the only drug I’m taking, and it was sudden and odd, so I checked. Tachycardia and cardiac arrest are indeed among the listed side effects for this drug. It’s now a few hours past when I should’ve taken my next dose and I still feel a little jittery today. In retrospect I’d been feeling jittery, impatient, and cloudy for hours before it happened, and I’d not been sleeping well for 2 nights. So I think if you’re feeling uncharacteristically jittery it may be a warning sign. I was also having headaches 2 days before it happened. ”

Tika · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 22, 2020

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Allergic Rhinitis: “Zyrtec did stop my sneezing, and only took 2 days for total relief. After two weeks on a whole pill each day, I gradually started getting vertigo and mild visual hallucinations. (patterns danced) About a year later, I tried again, this time on a half pill each day. a month later, the vertigo started. I have stopped taking it, and I'm having symptoms like a mild migraine, but the vertigo is fading.”

Sarah · Taken for less than 1 month April 6, 2020

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Allergic Rhinitis: “After taking Zyrtec with a cough medicine I became so light headed I thought it was the end of me. My neck got stiff and pain my head was hurting on top and light head unable to drive , I was sure I’m having a stroke. I stop taking it for 2 days and all those symptoms are gone.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month March 22, 2020

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Allergic Rhinitis: “The winds started up 3 weeks ago and my nose from my allergies was just stuffed with sticky phlegm and severe lethargy. I bought the generic brand of Zyrtec and it alleviated the problem somewhat. Today I went to buy more and could't find any so I bought the Zyrtec brand and it is sooooo much more effective. Not just clear breathing, but my usual hyperactive self once more.”

Lucky · Taken for less than 1 month February 27, 2020

For Physical Urticaria: “Don't use this if swelling takes place near or in and around your lips. Because it increases the swelling”

Itchy person · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 27, 2020

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Urticaria: “I have been on a combination of Allegra/pepcid morning and Zyrtec/pepcid evening for the past 4 years. I developed chronic idiopathic dermatographism after I had my son. I had a negative and very itchy reaction to the epidural but I've not been able to pin point that that was the initial cause of my current problem or if there is an underlying issue still at hand. 5 doctors have not been able to find out what is wrong with me. I've had allergy testing, blood tests galore, thyroid examines etc. I'm now at the point where I don't know if Zyrtec just works so great or if I'm so addicted to it that I can't get off of it. Every night when it's time to take it I feel like (what I would assume) a person coming off hard core drugs feels like. The itching is bad. I'm now off day two of trying to detox myself from it and I'm losing my mind. Never take this stuff. Ever. I wish I would have never started.”

Welty · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 24, 2020

For Urticaria: “Started taking Certirazine in 2014, at first 5 mg occasionally then needed a bigger dose a day to control my urticaria. Now, wanting to get retested by my allergist I tried stopping my antihistamine for 7 days but only lasted 3 days due to severe Certirazine withdrawal syndrome. Incredibly itchy all over my body like fire ants crawling over me and wanting to jump out of my skin. Itchy eyes, intensely itchy ears , red and swollen palms and soles and super large welts on my back by day 3. I couldn’t handle the itching anymore and needed to restart the Certirazine. Now I need to try and wean off this drug with the help of another antihistamine such as Allegra ( Fexofenadine) so my body won’t be dependent on Certirazine. This drug worked well for my symptoms but if you try to get off it, like me, you might regret ever starting to take it. No, I do not recommend Certirazine!”

The Phoenix · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 4, 2020

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Urticaria: “I have been using Zyrtec for about a year now for my allergies and hives. I have gotten no relief from my allergies or the hives when taking Zyrtec, basically it does nothing for me at all. I was even told by my doctor during an allergy attack to take it twice a day and I still got no relief.”

Magoo · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 26, 2019

Zyrtec (cetirizine): “I was given zyrtec for cold symptoms, worked wonders for me within a week sinus problems gone. I did have dry mouth but I'll take that compared to how I was feeling.”

RJ · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 5, 2019

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Allergic Rhinitis: “Stay away from this drug (Zyrtec) for seasonal allergies-there are better alternatives. While taking zyrtec, especially if you are older, you may experience dry mouth and accelerated dental caries among other (drowsiness, headache, constipation and miscellaneous other adverse effects). Upon discontinuing zyrtec, you may experience disabling generalized and severe itching without a rash or sometimes with a rash. The itching can occur anywhere on your body-but almost always on the palms and soles. The itching is often severe and unrelenting and often is not associated with a rash. The itching can last for days and weeks. The FDA is aware of this "zyrtec withdrawl syndrome" but to date does not appear too concerned about it. Several hundreds of cases have been reported.”

Can't Quit · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 2, 2019

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Allergic Rhinitis: “I get monthly allergy shots and was told to take a daily allergy pill as well. Originally I was taking Claritin but was told by my allergist that I should take Zyrtec because it is stronger. Fine. So I've been taking a Zyrtec every day and needed to go off it to take a new allergy skin test. I lasted 3 days before I started on the Zyrtec again. After 48 hours of not having it in my system I started with unbearable itching all over. I thought it could be my new dog until I did a Google search and realized no, my body was going through withdrawal symptoms from the Zyrtec. No one ever told me this was a possibility. DO NOT TAKE THIS DAILY FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME. Now I have to ween myself off this drug.”

Hiveygirl · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 25, 2019

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Urticaria: “I began with getting a swollen lip one day, then the next day it was a part of my lip that was swollen. Then came the hives episodes. No blood test could figure it out for me. I just gave up. Until my dr. Said to take 2 zyrtec in the morning and 2 at night when they are really bad. Then take one in the morning one at night. This has saved my sanity. I don't get more than the occasional single hive once every few days with a strict zyrtec regimen.”

Andy · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 9, 2019

For Allergic Rhinitis: “I use to take one to two cetirizine every day at my old jobs. Two made me sleepy. I work in mouldy old building and 100 year old boat. I get 14 tablets for $1.00 @ dollar tree or 400 tablets for $16 plus tax at Sam's club. ”

DennisP14 · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 13, 2019

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Allergic Rhinitis: “Doc put me on ciprofloxacin antibiotic. Had an allergic reaction- head to toe rash and hives. Per docs instructions, stopped the ciprofloxacin and took Zyrtec. Rash was gone within 24 hours. Also cleared up my chronic sinusitis that I had used Claritin for with little success. Still take Zyrtec generic for seasonal allergies and have had adverse side effects.”

Debo October 10, 2019

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Urticaria: “I have had chronic urticaria for 1 year. Been to my own GP, an allergist, a dermatologist and a rheumatologist. I was taking zyrtec, zantac and xyzal twice a day sometimes 3 times when hives were really bad. Also several doses of prednisone. It has been a horrible year. But the zyrtec did help and I still take it now once a day. Rhumatologist recently prescibed singulair and finally I have not had any hives or angiodema now since I started taking it 2 full weeks with no symptoms. One zyrtec in the morning one singulair at night. ”

Anonymous September 29, 2019

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Allergic Rhinitis: “I have been on Zyrtec for 2 weeks. My throat is scratchy all the time. I am depressed and I’ve gained about 4 lbs.”

Angry girl August 31, 2019

Zyrtec (cetirizine): “Horrible. I started taking it because I was getting sinus pressure. Just took odd one here and there. Then started getting small hives on my forearms so took it more regularly. Then every time the med wore off I would break out in horrible itching and welts and redness everywhere. NOTHING stops it except taking the med. I couldn't even touch my own skin lightly. After 5 days I had to take it again. I NEVER had skin issues like this before zyrtec EVER. I'm angry there was no warning. I'm trapped on this medication now probably for life !!!! It's impossible to get off of...its not just normal itching either its intense firey stinging hell.”

Bunnyc · Taken for less than 1 month August 7, 2019

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Allergic Rhinitis: “It is an awesome med for allergies. But it made me depressed. Even with taking the children’s liquid and using a small amount it still did. I worry about people taking this and not realizing it can make them depressed. In prescriptions it has to tell you to watch out for changes in mood and sadness but not for over the counter. As for drowsiness, taking the children’s liquid helped with that.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 31, 2019

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Allergic Rhinitis: “I would like to share my experience using zyrtec, to make anyone who may consider stopping it that it can cause severe itching when stopped. Although taking zyrtec most definitely relieves my allergy symptoms, when I had to stop it because of allergy testing, within a couple days of stopping zyrtec I broke out into an itchy rash that drove me crazy for days and nights. It caused me a lack of sleep for awhile. So please for anyone considering using zyrtec as your choice of allergy relief medicine, be aware stopping it could cause severe itching and discomfort.”