User Reviews for Cetirizine

Also known as: Zyrtec, Aller-Tec, Equate Allergy Relief, All Day Allergy, Children's Zyrtec, PediaCare Children's 24-Hour Allergy, All Day Allergy Children's, Children's Allergy Relief, Zyrtec Hives, Alleroff, Aller-Tec Children's

Urticaria
7.4

Allergic Rhinitis
6.6

Summary of Cetirizine reviews 6.9 182 reviews

Reviews for Cetirizine

WednesdayGirl · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 8, 2019

For Allergic Rhinitis: "Pruritis is real, and trying to quit Zyrtec is the cause. I’m disappointed that more is not known or bring done - there must be some powerful drug lobbyists behind this company. I’m just glad to know I’m not crazy, and that some people have had success weaning themselves off of this garbage. I hope that I’m one of them."

Pat June 23, 2019

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I agree with the comments about making you drowsy and sleepy. Seemed to be ok-ish with half a tablet but as soon as I started taking a full tablet as the high grass pollen season approached, it left me a complete mess. Sleeping for 9 hours a night with 2 hours naps in the day. In work I had to have power naps in the bog so I wouldn’t collapse at my desk. My brain was foggy & it’s drains and sucks the life out of you, to a point that I almost felt depressed."

McCall · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 23, 2019

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Allergic Rhinitis: "I took Zyrtec for six months and then I had to stop five days before my allergy testing. There absolutely needs to be a warning and side effect statement by Zyrtec informing people about going through withdrawal! After 48 hours of stopping it, I had uncontrollable itching all over my body. It was miserable, embarrassing, and literally felt like I was going crazy! You have no control over it. The only way to stop it is to take another Zyrtec....... it’s exactly like being addicted to pills! It’s all over the Internet, and the FDA has buried some of the information on their website. It’s a terrible, terrible side effect The itching is generalized..... bottom of your feet, palms of hands, scalp, legs, etc. and sometimes you scratch until you bruise. There really needs to be a class action lawsuit against Zyrtec. Please read about it. I wouldn’t wish it on anyone!!!"

Jake · Taken for less than 1 month June 22, 2019

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Allergic Rhinitis: "This has been the worst medication I have ever been on. My symptoms are EXTREME upper back pain, brain fog, memory problems, fatigue like crazy, anxiety like crazy and just an overall feeling something is terribly not right in my brain. I can’t even tell you how I feel. I feel drugged up but it the worst possible way. My mom actually looked at me and said I seem off. This med worked great for my post nasal drip but I will never take this ever again or any long acting antihistamine. I did not feel this way at first, it’s like this awful med built up in my body and I’m noticing symptoms now and it’s terrible. I can’t get it out of my body fast enough!!"

Reyna200190 · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 12, 2019

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I love this cetirizine allergy med!! . I have no side effects and I can function through the day. Without it, I am groggy, runny nose and I feel like I am sick..sore throat. Thankful for this med;)"

HB · Taken for less than 1 month June 7, 2019

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I took one standard dose cetirizine in the evening to combat hay fever symptoms. I felt really drowsy and sedated within an hour and had to go to bed. I then slept for 9 hours . When the alarm woke me I could not get out of bed, I was dizzy, my eyes couldn't focus and I felt so tired I couldn't think straight. I went back to bed and slept with crazy dreams until lunchtime. I forced myself to get up at lunchtime but I feel dreadful, mind fog and so so tired. I would rather have hay fever symptoms than this."

Earthgrow · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 3, 2019

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Allergic Rhinitis: "I am a nurse who has been taking this for seasonal allergies and I wanted to write my review on Zyrtec. I noticed depression in mood, weight gain, sluggish bowels and some urinary retention. All my seasonal allergy symptoms did not subside to my satisfaction. When getting off Zyrtec you may experience uncontrollable itching that you didn't have before taking the med, I'll tell you how to get off it without the itch. Start taking 10mg Claritin each night for two nights, then cut Claritin in half to 5mg and take for three more nights then stop taking Claritin, that takes the itch away and Claritin doesn't have the withdrawal itch. Once you stop Claritin and Zyrtec you will quickly lose any weight you gained and mood should improve. Hope that helps."

JoanneS0 · Taken for less than 1 month April 17, 2019

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Allergic Rhinitis: "We just moved to Texas and this March I started experiencing my first spring/pollen season. Pollen counts were super high and I was miserable. Go outside for five minutes with the dogs, come inside and sneeze and blow my nose for an hour. My nose was red and sore from all the blowing. I don't like taking pills if I don't have to, but I needed something. Tried Allegra, but it just barely took the edge off. Claritin did absolutely nothing. As a last resort, decided to try Zyrtec. It was the only thing I hadn't tried. I gave it 3 out of 10, because it did make my symptoms stop. No more sneezing, no more itchy nasal passages. But the fatigue is overwhelming. I feel like a walking zombie. I am so tired. Slept for a solid 7 hours last night. Was awake for 2 before I started falling asleep sitting up. Took a 2 hour nap and I'm still tired. I can't function like this, so I won't be taking it again. At least Benedryl wears off by the time I wake up in the morning."

Catty · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 28, 2019

For Allergic Rhinitis: "It really works well for nasal problems but it makes very sleepy. Now I was on benzodiazepine for partial epilepsy and tension which made me sleepless at night. I stopped that because I needed Cetrizine for my allergic rhinitis which makes me sleep great but I never take Cetrizine everyday. 30 Min.before going to bed and can get minimun 8 hrs sleep I feel a little slow the next day but actually gives an almost similar effect to my epilepsy as benzodiazepine. For me it is a winner in all ways but I am careful with it. It is great for allergies and the side effect of sleepiness etc.can be good or bad depending on the individual and its brain function. Cetrizine if used sparingly is quite harmless unless you are allergic to it."

bash-terminal · Taken for less than 1 month February 16, 2019

For Urticaria: "Very effective, but way to many side effects. Cetirizine is noticeably sedating, and it gives me headaches. I prefer other antihistamines to control my symptoms (fexofenadine or loratadine). Cetirizine is very effective for hives and itching, but it will ruin my day because of the sedation and headaches."

P2 February 15, 2019

For Allergic Rhinitis: "10 mg is one of the best things I've ever taken for allergies. I can breathe better on this and I don't have to use my rescue inhaler as often. This drug suppresses my allergies to the point where I only need one squirt of Flonase per day (normally I use 2 squirts). I'd use this drug daily, except it wipes the floor with me (even Remeron and Benadryl don't make me this tired). Also seems to give me occasional stomach cramps and diarrhea."

Lucy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 13, 2019

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I started taking this regularly about 8 months ago. I would skip a dose and notice uncontrollable itching . AND THEN the migraines started and the crazy dreams. I quit this drug 5 days ago. Drug also made my eyes incredible dry. Itching is better, but I had another headache. I never rarely had headaches before this medicine. I am 53. Do not take this drug. I hope this goes away soon."

Khan · Taken for less than 1 month December 31, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: "Started taking this for my dust allergy, worked great for that! Except at the same time I started experiencing severe dizzy spells and a really heavy head throughout the day. I had no clue it was related to Zyrtec, when I visited the doc today he suggested to stop taking it and that's when it hit me that these symptoms only started when I started these pills! Terrible medication that sucks the life out of you and sends your brain in to a haze!"

LizfromCali December 1, 2018

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Allergic Rhinitis: "Three years ago I started taking Zyrtec for nasal allergies that included sneezing and stuffy nose. I was previously on Claratin, but it wasn't giving me all day relief, so the doc switched me to Zyrtec. The full dose made me very tired, so I started taking a half dose at bedtime. I have had sleep issues and taking this medication solved that and relieved my allergy symptoms. A winner, right? The problem is, I became dependent on this med to get that sleepy feeling. I ignored that I was waking up very groggy and not functioning without a strong cup of coffee. I also developed severe mood swings. I convinced a doc to give me allergy skin testing. I stopped the Zyrtec for 5 days prior. The first day I could hardly get out of bed, but by day three I noticed a huge difference in my mental clarity. I told the doc, no more Zyrtec for me. Turns out I am allergic to cats and dogs, not trees. I am going to practice avoidance and stay off this drug!"

Chan · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 12, 2018

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Allergic Rhinitis: "Works alright on getting rid of allergies I guess but every time I’ve taken it it’s made my throat extremely sore and my voice hurts. It gets so bad it hurts to talk while taking it so I’m finding something else."

Keyme · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 21, 2018

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Urticaria: "Whenever I got any allergies that can lead to urticaria or just physically itchy and swollen red. I will take one tablet of zyrtec. It will take less than one hour to cure it."

Basha · Taken for 10 years or more August 13, 2018

Aller-Tec (cetirizine) for Allergic Rhinitis: "I suffer from an extreme number of allergies that caused me to get 6 or more sinus infections annually. I have tried Claritin & other nasal sprays without seeing much change. When I found Aller-Tec (Costco generic for Zyrtec) it changed my life. I could not afford the brand name Zyrtec but aller-tec is only around $15 for a year supply. I take daily (I believe this is important since it builds up in your system to help you fight the allergies you encounter) In 10 years I have never had more than 2 sinus infections annually. I have also shared with so many people in my life. It has changed their lives as it has mine in a positive way so they can function more normally. I can’t speak for others. But for me and my friends and associates that take this daily has improved the quality of our lives. All I’m saying is don’t be discouraged by the other reviews. Be patient with it and try for at least 2 weeks daily before making your own opinion for what it is capable to do for you."

SeaKnight · Taken for less than 1 month July 23, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: "After 1 week on Cetirizine 10 mg I developed severe migraine aches behind my right eye. UNDERSTAND in 68 years, I have never had a migraine headache. I had two of these attacks in two days. Also the beginnings of double vision. I stopped the Cetirizine 10 mg and no more migraines."

jumbe May 31, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I took this medicine number of time and it is very effective especially when it comes to treating allergies but it put me to sleep the whole day. Honestly I simply can't even go to work or even operating on any machine like driving or even type correctly on my laptop. I prefer Allerid as it helps without making my day worse."

LP · Taken for less than 1 month April 11, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I tried this in the equate brand for 4 days and my allergies got worse instead of better, my sinus swelled to the point I could not breath through my nose. I did not realize this may be part of it until I skipped a day and was getting a little better, until I took one again, the congestion came on strong again, and I realized within 30 min of taking this I was back to not breathing through my nose. I will not be using these again, this is miserable. I wish it did not last for 24 hours. I have had to do a pot of water with eucalyptus oil and that would open one side of sinus, but it does not last long."

Michy April 6, 2018

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Allergic Rhinitis: "I took Zyrtec on Wednesday at bedtime and I'm still drowsy now on Friday 8pm. I woke Thursday morning to severe drowsiness. I had breakfast lots of water some glucose to combat this feeling of everything spinning around me and wanting to faint. I vomited twice so far. Trying diuretics and lots of water to get it out of my system but I'm still drowsy and any sudden movements leave me holding onto walls and furniture. I took 5mg. I have taken it before with no side effects. I'm never taking Zyrtec again.... Stayed out of work and going to my GP If I feel the same tomorrow Most unusual tho...."

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month March 20, 2018

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Allergic Rhinitis: "Double vision in one eye after taking Zyrtec for less than 2 weeks. How long will this last after discontinuing drug?"

LisaM · Taken for less than 1 month March 4, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: "This medicine does not help at all with the stuffy nose, which is due to the inflammation in the nasal passages more so than mucous. I found some relief from sneezing, but I still get sneeze attacks when I am exposed to allergens (tree pollen)."

emmmmmies February 1, 2018

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Urticaria: "I’m giving zyrtec a 2 rating because the only good thing about it is it gets the job done (for the most part). I was diagnosed with chronic idiopathic urticaria two summers ago, and the only thing that popped up on my allergy blood tests was an low level of thyroid hormones. I was then also diagnosed with hashimotos, which later turned into hypothyroidism. I’m stuck taking zyrtec everyday, and if I try to get off, or miss a dose, I’m covered in hives and my eyes, lips and face are swollen.I cannot for the life of me get off of zyrtec. Please consider safer drugs that your body won’t become dependent on! I’m trapped."

Allergy Sufferer 12345 January 26, 2018

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Allergic Rhinitis: "Stayed at my friend's house who had a cat. I knew I was allergic so I stayed far away for it. It still got to me enough to where the symptoms bothered me. Sore and itchy throat, itchy watery eyes, coughing, etc. I decided to take a 10mg Zyertec. I normally don't like taking pills. This one said non drowsy so I thought it would be safer. BIG mistake. I was so drained that after I woke up from a 8.5 hr night sleep, I was so tired, I couldn't keep my eyes open. It was so scary that I ended up going to the ER. They gave me fluids to flush it faster but I still suffered the rest of the day. Never again. Although it did help my symptoms, the side effects were not worth it."

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)