User Reviews for Cetirizine

Also known as: All Day Allergy, All Day Allergy Children's, Indoor/Outdoor Allergy Relief, ZyrTEC

Urticaria
7.4

Allergic Rhinitis
6.8

Summary of Cetirizine reviews 7.1 174 reviews

Reviews for Cetirizine

For Allergic Rhinitis: "It really works well for nasal problems but it makes very sleepy. Now I was on benzodiazepine for partial epilepsy and tension which made me sleepless at night. I stopped that because I needed Cetrizine for my allergic rhinitis which makes me sleep great but I never take Cetrizine everyday. 30 Min.before going to bed and can get minimun 8 hrs sleep I feel a little slow the next day but actually gives an almost similar effect to my epilepsy as benzodiazepine. For me it is a winner in all ways but I am careful with it. It is great for allergies and the side effect of sleepiness etc.can be good or bad depending on the individual and its brain function. Cetrizine if used sparingly is quite harmless unless you are allergic to it."

Catty (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 28, 2019

For Urticaria: "Very effective, but way to many side effects. Cetirizine is noticeably sedating, and it gives me headaches. I prefer other antihistamines to control my symptoms (fexofenadine or loratadine). Cetirizine is very effective for hives and itching, but it will ruin my day because of the sedation and headaches."

bash-terminal (taken for less than 1 month) February 16, 2019

For Allergic Rhinitis: "10 mg is one of the best things I've ever taken for allergies. I can breathe better on this and I don't have to use my rescue inhaler as often. This drug suppresses my allergies to the point where I only need one squirt of Flonase per day (normally I use 2 squirts). I'd use this drug daily, except it wipes the floor with me (even Remeron and Benadryl don't make me this tired). Also seems to give me occasional stomach cramps and diarrhea."

P2 February 15, 2019

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I started taking this regularly about 8 months ago. I would skip a dose and notice uncontrollable itching . AND THEN the migraines started and the crazy dreams. I quit this drug 5 days ago. Drug also made my eyes incredible dry. Itching is better, but I had another headache. I never rarely had headaches before this medicine. I am 53. Do not take this drug. I hope this goes away soon."

Lucy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 13, 2019

For Allergic Rhinitis: "Started taking this for my dust allergy, worked great for that! Except at the same time I started experiencing severe dizzy spells and a really heavy head throughout the day. I had no clue it was related to Zyrtec, when I visited the doc today he suggested to stop taking it and that's when it hit me that these symptoms only started when I started these pills! Terrible medication that sucks the life out of you and sends your brain in to a haze!"

Khan (taken for less than 1 month) December 31, 2018

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Allergic Rhinitis: "Three years ago I started taking Zyrtec for nasal allergies that included sneezing and stuffy nose. I was previously on Claratin, but it wasn't giving me all day relief, so the doc switched me to Zyrtec. The full dose made me very tired, so I started taking a half dose at bedtime. I have had sleep issues and taking this medication solved that and relieved my allergy symptoms. A winner, right? The problem is, I became dependent on this med to get that sleepy feeling. I ignored that I was waking up very groggy and not functioning without a strong cup of coffee. I also developed severe mood swings. I convinced a doc to give me allergy skin testing. I stopped the Zyrtec for 5 days prior. The first day I could hardly get out of bed, but by day three I noticed a huge difference in my mental clarity. I told the doc, no more Zyrtec for me. Turns out I am allergic to cats and dogs, not trees. I am going to practice avoidance and stay off this drug!"

LizfromCali December 1, 2018

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Allergic Rhinitis: "Works alright on getting rid of allergies I guess but every time I’ve taken it it’s made my throat extremely sore and my voice hurts. It gets so bad it hurts to talk while taking it so I’m finding something else."

Chan (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 12, 2018

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Urticaria: "Whenever I got any allergies that can lead to urticaria or just physically itchy and swollen red. I will take one tablet of zyrtec. It will take less than one hour to cure it."

Keyme (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 21, 2018

Aller-Tec (cetirizine) for Allergic Rhinitis: "I suffer from an extreme number of allergies that caused me to get 6 or more sinus infections annually. I have tried Claritin & other nasal sprays without seeing much change. When I found Aller-Tec (Costco generic for Zyrtec) it changed my life. I could not afford the brand name Zyrtec but aller-tec is only around $15 for a year supply. I take daily (I believe this is important since it builds up in your system to help you fight the allergies you encounter) In 10 years I have never had more than 2 sinus infections annually. I have also shared with so many people in my life. It has changed their lives as it has mine in a positive way so they can function more normally. I can’t speak for others. But for me and my friends and associates that take this daily has improved the quality of our lives. All I’m saying is don’t be discouraged by the other reviews. Be patient with it and try for at least 2 weeks daily before making your own opinion for what it is capable to do for you."

Basha (taken for 10 years or more) August 13, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: "After 1 week on Cetirizine 10 mg I developed severe migraine aches behind my right eye. UNDERSTAND in 68 years, I have never had a migraine headache. I had two of these attacks in two days. Also the beginnings of double vision. I stopped the Cetirizine 10 mg and no more migraines."

SeaKnight (taken for less than 1 month) July 23, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I took this medicine number of time and it is very effective especially when it comes to treating allergies but it put me to sleep the whole day. Honestly I simply can't even go to work or even operating on any machine like driving or even type correctly on my laptop. I prefer Allerid as it helps without making my day worse."

jumbe May 31, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I tried this in the equate brand for 4 days and my allergies got worse instead of better, my sinus swelled to the point I could not breath through my nose. I did not realize this may be part of it until I skipped a day and was getting a little better, until I took one again, the congestion came on strong again, and I realized within 30 min of taking this I was back to not breathing through my nose. I will not be using these again, this is miserable. I wish it did not last for 24 hours. I have had to do a pot of water with eucalyptus oil and that would open one side of sinus, but it does not last long."

LP (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2018

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Allergic Rhinitis: "I took Zyrtec on Wednesday at bedtime and I'm still drowsy now on Friday 8pm. I woke Thursday morning to severe drowsiness. I had breakfast lots of water some glucose to combat this feeling of everything spinning around me and wanting to faint. I vomited twice so far. Trying diuretics and lots of water to get it out of my system but I'm still drowsy and any sudden movements leave me holding onto walls and furniture. I took 5mg. I have taken it before with no side effects. I'm never taking Zyrtec again.... Stayed out of work and going to my GP If I feel the same tomorrow Most unusual tho...."

Michy April 6, 2018

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Allergic Rhinitis: "Double vision in one eye after taking Zyrtec for less than 2 weeks. How long will this last after discontinuing drug?"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis: "This medicine does not help at all with the stuffy nose, which is due to the inflammation in the nasal passages more so than mucous. I found some relief from sneezing, but I still get sneeze attacks when I am exposed to allergens (tree pollen)."

LisaM (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2018

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Urticaria: "I’m giving zyrtec a 2 rating because the only good thing about it is it gets the job done (for the most part). I was diagnosed with chronic idiopathic urticaria two summers ago, and the only thing that popped up on my allergy blood tests was an low level of thyroid hormones. I was then also diagnosed with hashimotos, which later turned into hypothyroidism. I’m stuck taking zyrtec everyday, and if I try to get off, or miss a dose, I’m covered in hives and my eyes, lips and face are swollen.I cannot for the life of me get off of zyrtec. Please consider safer drugs that your body won’t become dependent on! I’m trapped."

emmmmmies February 1, 2018

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Allergic Rhinitis: "Stayed at my friend's house who had a cat. I knew I was allergic so I stayed far away for it. It still got to me enough to where the symptoms bothered me. Sore and itchy throat, itchy watery eyes, coughing, etc. I decided to take a 10mg Zyertec. I normally don't like taking pills. This one said non drowsy so I thought it would be safer. BIG mistake. I was so drained that after I woke up from a 8.5 hr night sleep, I was so tired, I couldn't keep my eyes open. It was so scary that I ended up going to the ER. They gave me fluids to flush it faster but I still suffered the rest of the day. Never again. Although it did help my symptoms, the side effects were not worth it."

Allergy Sufferer 12345 January 26, 2018

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Allergic Rhinitis: "I used Zyrtec D for some really bad sinus pressure. It makes you sleepy during the day and anxious at night, but it has a very strong decongestant, and it works. I would never consider using it for a chronic condition, because the side effects are pretty heavy, but if you're just using it for a few days to help while you kick something, it works great."

Laura502 January 13, 2018

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Urticaria: "I suffer from chronic hives. Zyrtec doesn't really help anything at all. I've had hives everyday for 2 years until my doctor told me about a shot called XOLAIR. I take 2 shots per month and it made my hives completely go away. I was on the shots for about a year. After 1 and a half years, my hives came back. I'm already in the process to go back on the shots again. I really recommend anyone with chronic hives to ask about XOLAIR."

Jppp December 29, 2017

For Allergic Rhinitis: "It works, no more sinuses but...after reading the side effects I'm slowly pulling back from taking them. I'm experiencing dry mouth, aches in my hands, hot flashes, and headaches. So I'm decreasing dosage to 1 pill every other day. I've been literally taking them everyday for about 4 months. Side effects gradually started happening."

CarolynRena (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 21, 2017

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Urticaria: "Instead of controlling my pain, it has amplified it. If anyone knows any other medicine please recommend it to me. I suffer from cholinergic urticaria. Thank you."

Jimmy S December 17, 2017

For Urticaria: "I've had chronic Urticaria for the last 6 months. My Allergist has me taking 4 zyrtec a day. Two in the morning and two at night. I also take 300mg Rantitidine twice a day and just added singulair because I'm still having hives with all these meds. I end up with Angiodema (facial swelling) and have to take Prednisone. Seems as if its getting worse and nothings helping."

tammm December 8, 2017

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Urticaria: "I was diagnosed with Chronic Idiopathic Urticaria 3 months ago. I have dermographism, where my skin itches during the day, and if I scratch it, I get terrible red patches on my body which stay for an hour or two and looks terrible. I tried every single second generation antihistamine and non of them helped. Zyrtec finally gave me the relief I wanted. I take one pill in the morning with no side effects and I almost don't feel any itch during the day. Since I don't itch, I don't need to scratch myself and don't get hives. I give 8 starts because it doesn't completely cure CIU, but it helps me to manage my symptoms."

Craig7777 September 19, 2017

For Allergic Rhinitis: "Have taken this every night for years and it is the best allergy medicine I've used."

FlamingoPink August 8, 2017

For Urticaria: "In my 40s I started getting contact hives when lifting heavy object on my arms. As I got older it started getting worse and I often would also get rashes. After multiple visits to various doctors one finally took a biopsy or one of the rashes. It turns out I was allergic to the sun, a form of Lupus. I basically lived out doors in shorts and a t-shirts and the hives and rashes did not correspond to where the sun hit my body. I take one to two cetirizine pills per day (day/night) and also one Ranitidine 150 mg (another histamine inhibitor) and stay out of the sun. I cover up at all times and the hives are mostly gone. Before this I would get thick large hives from any pressure, even sitting. "

Old Grey Guy (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 31, 2017