User Reviews for Cetirizine

Also known as: All Day Allergy, All Day Allergy Children's, Aller-Tec, Aller-Tec Children's, Alleroff, Children's Allergy Relief, Children's Zyrtec, Equate Allergy Relief, PediaCare Children's 24-Hour Allergy, Zyrtec, Zyrtec Hives

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Cetirizine.

Urticaria
7.6

Allergic Rhinitis
7.2

Summary of Cetirizine reviews 7.4 152 reviews

Reviews for Cetirizine

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Urticaria: "I was diagnosed with Chronic Idiopathic Urticaria 3 months ago. I have dermographism, where my skin itches during the day, and if I scratch it, I get terrible red patches on my body which stay for an hour or two and looks terrible. I tried every single second generation antihistamine and non of them helped. Zyrtec finally gave me the relief I wanted. I take one pill in the morning with no side effects and I almost don't feel any itch during the day. Since I don't itch, I don't need to scratch myself and don't get hives. I give 8 starts because it doesn't completely cure CIU, but it helps me to manage my symptoms."

Craig7777 September 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis: "Have taken this every night for years and it is the best allergy medicine I've used."

FlamingoPink August 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urticaria: "In my 40s I started getting contact hives when lifting heavy object on my arms. As I got older it started getting worse and I often would also get rashes. After multiple visits to various doctors one finally took a biopsy or one of the rashes. It turns out I was allergic to the sun, a form of Lupus. I basically lived out doors in shorts and a t-shirts and the hives and rashes did not correspond to where the sun hit my body. I take one to two cetirizine pills per day (day/night) and also one Ranitidine 150 mg (another histamine inhibitor) and stay out of the sun. I cover up at all times and the hives are mostly gone. Before this I would get thick large hives from any pressure, even sitting. "

Old Grey Guy (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Urticaria: "I recently had testing for chronic urticaria with Hashimoto (with normal thyroid levels). And came out positive which means I have to deal with hives and swelling. At first I was only taking Benadryl but it only put me to sleep and wake up with the same symptom. So my specialist suggested I take one zyrtec a day, but I was still having symptoms two times a week (remind you I was having hives and swelling every single day from morning to night) so even though I was having symptoms 2 times a week it was a relief but I was looking for a complete relief. So then again my specialist suggested instead of taking one 10g Zyrtec pill I would move on to taking two 10g Zyrtec pills a day. And thankfully it has changed my life! I Don't get drowsy!"

GmWatkins July 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Allergic Rhinitis: "My eyes had been bothering me so much, they are constantly red and irritated, gritty feeling no matter what I do from the moment I wake up until I go to bed. I decided to try Zyrtec because my eyes were so bothersome, and antihistamine eyedrops didn't work. I've been taking it for 2 weeks, and I have never seen my eyes so white and feeling so good. I don't have to use eyedrops at all now. However there is one downside: Zyrtec makes me feel exhausted. It's not like when you take Benedryl and you feel like you could fall asleep standing up, it's more of a foggy feeling and you just feel like you could go for a nap, but the feeling never goes away even if you do nap."

MalloryJay95 June 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Allergic Rhinitis: "This product has worked well for me overall. I use it in conjunction with Dymista, and the two together are great. If I miss a dose, then I'm itchy all over, so I take it every day religiously. The main side effect I've experienced (and this is common with Claritin and other similar products) is dry eye, but I simply use some Refresh Plus once a day and it's not a problem."

Skathlee (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Urticaria: "Hives is directly linked to autoimmune disorders such as Hashimoto's- a thyroid disease. Chronic hives can't be treated with Zyrtec if this is the case. I give Zyrtec 8 stars BC it is a great otc fix for allergies. However if you are suffering from chronic hives and find nothing helping, perhaps you need to research ... I am experiencing this first hand. I have found oatmeal baths and coconut oil with essential oils to sooth my chronic hives- specifically lavender, lemon, Meleluca, and peppermint. My next step is getting a full blood panel done to confirm Hashimoto's. ...Zyrtec can't fix that but is good for common allergies."

MomMandy May 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Allergic Rhinitis: "It didn't work, no effect whatsoever"

It doesn't work April 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Urticaria: "Just writing this in case it helps another person to know what their "trigger" was. I was given a cup of Artichoke Tea for the first time. Several hours later (during the night) started scratching shoulders and upper body. Itching stopped for few hours during the next day and re-occurred later that evening and spread to many other areas of body as I took myself to emergency dept of hospital. Was given one Prednisolone and two Zyrtec tabs in the very early hours of morning. Now, six hours later and (after great sleep) have awoken to no visible hives and no itching at all. Will get script for Zyrtec later on today just in case it comes back. But, fingers crossed it will not do so."

Itch-Free April 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Urticaria: "I've had chronic hives for most of my life. I can't tell you the different types of medical "cocktails" I've been on. I've tried doxepin up to 100 mg.... made me loopy all day long. Don't really want to take anything that will mess with my brain. I've taken Benadryl, Claritin, Zyrtec, Zyrtec w/Zantac, I've switched antacids --- be careful with Prilosec. That will lower your B12 quicker than anything. Mine got so low, I had to start giving myself B12 shots from taking the Prilosec. Nothing is working for me! I am miserable beyond comprehension! If anyone has any other suggestion, please post. Thank you."

xteeweex April 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I had been trying this often on, for the last 2 years, first time was 14 pills for 6 dollars but ran out before I noticed any changes in symptoms. The second time was 20 dollars for 70 pills noticed a significant reduction allergic rhinitis, and associating post nasal drip, I am also taking it for atopic dermatitis, even though its not suppose to work, it helps with the itching, and sometimes the prevention of certain seasonal rashes. The greatest benefit was taking it twice one time, and nearly eliminated my nasal allergies for several months. 1 pill=50-80% effective on allergies, less on dermatitis. 2 pills 75-95% effective, although if I take 2 pills I would become somewhat drowsy, taking it once a day, will help build tolerance to drowsiness after"

yuoiu (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis: "Took 20mg during a summer of very bad allergies when claritin and other meds were not helping sufficiently. Worked excellently for me. Only side effects I experienced were mild drowsiness the first few weeks on it and drying of skin and mouth, nothing extra water didn't fix."

Timoney April 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis: "It works. I don't take it everyday, It makes me feel out of it and pretty tired. Not as strong as benadryl which knocks me out cold but still it's pretty strong. If any of these OTC medicines had any type of euphoria they honestly wouldn't be that bad lol, but they just make you feel like you haven't slept in 2 days. I wish I could find an allergy medicine that didn't make me feel tired and weird. I've tried non drowsy Clartin but it doesn't do anything at all."

toadphillips (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Allergic Rhinitis: "My kids and I have taken Zyrtec for years. It has worked wonderfully for us all BUT. . . It wasn't until my most recent migraine that I realized Zyrtec was making us deathly ill. It dawned on me that my migraines occurred once a month right when we ran out of Zyrtec. The horrible migraines were withdrawal symptoms! I immediately stopped giving it to my kids and taking it myself. Yes nose started dripping and I have little hives on my arm but OMG I haven't felt this good in YEARS. No joke, since all 4 of have stopped taking it we've all lost weight. I've lost about 7-10 lbs in a month. My kid's clothes are almost too big. My head is CLEAR, no fog, no drowsy, groggy feeling. I feel like myself again. Do not take Zyrtec!"

FinallyFree1 March 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Allergic Rhinitis: "I used Zyrtec for years, not because I wanted to, but because if you stop taking Zyrtec you itch all over constantly. You don't just itch for 3 days like you do when ceasing other allergy meds, it doesn't stop ever. I was finally able to kick it by decreasing the quantity very gradually for a few months while also taking Benadryl. It can be done."

ClickClacker February 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Urticaria: "I had never heard of hives and I'm 54! We moved to my Mother in laws house after she passed away. And just thought was something in house. I have been to ER 2x in a month. The Dr in ER diagnosed as urticaria both times got steroid shots and prescriptions same both times. Nurse said take Pepcid and Zyrtec. But some days are so bad!"

Lola J January 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I would just like to add a positive review in the midst of all the bad one. I realize that everybody react differentlyto each medicine, so I would like to say that I'm one of the people that had no symtomps whatsoever upon taking this medicine. I have severe rhinitis allergy and have been taking lots of other antihistamines. Cetrizine have work really well with me, all of the other literally made me sleep in the middle of the day! Minimal drowziness, and very effective except for some days where my allergy is so severe, I had to take the medication twice because the first one didn't work but this is a very rare case. So please don't hesitate to try it might work really well for you too!"

Sarah390997 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 30, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Urticaria: "Hey!! I was suffered by chronic idiopathic urticaria (CIU) past 5 months, So initially i consulted a dermatologist and he said "It's just a food reaction so he gave some drugs", after 1 week it got worse and I'm worried but continued to take the medicine he gave. Parallely I searched about urticaria in internet and understood I have CIU and started worried every night i got this hives, it was painful to sleep (all over body), after some days i got on my face and head its was stressful and physically and mentally. Again I approached my doctor he said "it's not easy to identify why this hives occur", and he gave zyrtec 10 msg drug i use to take after my night meal every day. Later a month i asked my self why i need take this rest of my lif"

Mansoorahamed S (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 11, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Urticaria: "CIU or Chronic Idiopathic Urticia has been my recent diagnosis. I've had outbreaks of Hives for many many years, lasting from weeks to months. Most recently I've been seeing a specialist and he has me on cyclosporine. tough drug to take but cleared my hives and if I have an occasional small outbreak, zrytec does the trick and knocks it out. I also had a shot that was doctor recommended and the first dose cleared my hives but second did not, so on to the cyclosprine"

Rolopup October 7, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Allergic Rhinitis: "A sleeping pill. Terrible."

User12345801236 October 3, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urticaria: "I took them as prescribed by doctor for a bad reaction i had to mosquito bites. Made no difference. I tried piriton and that made a difference."

Nadya80 (taken for less than 1 month) September 24, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I used to take it for really bad hayfever and it used to the trick, hayfever not so bad. started taking it again at bedtime it acts as sleeping tablet for me. The problem is it seesm to last right through the next day thick head etc and general drowsiness, I rarely get through the day without having to sleep, which sometimes I don't mind but the general sedative effects continue throughout the day"

1o1 September 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urticaria: "It is soothing and comforting during urticaria agony by stopping the itch and new hives. They must come out with citzene 24 hour tablet"

lbv prasad (taken for less than 1 month) September 1, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Allergic Rhinitis: "Zyrtec knocks me out. Period. I took a pill at noon and by 2:00 pm I lay down virtually passed out. I slept for two hours straight. In the middle of the day. When I awoke I could barely function. Brain fog, lethargy, no energy. To tell the truth, I was so spaced out for so long that I couldn't tell if helped my sinus condition or not. I wouldn't dream of taking it if I had to drive. It would make a great sleeping pill."

DarioT. (taken for less than 1 month) August 21, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyrtec (cetirizine) for Urticaria: "my bf had hives for 3 weeks. more often than not. claritan did really nothing. Allegra nothing. benedryl helped some. I was scared he'd have a anaphylaxis reaction. I bought him vit. c, b, d, quercitin, probiotic. a dao enzyme. and nothing was working great. today is Monday 611 pm. he started zyrtec sat at 11am. he has red huge hives on his back and legs and arms . well I'm happy to say...the zyrtec seems to be working.. they are gone. we've even eating normal and he's even had a couple of drinks. also he's taking pepcid. but it's been over two days of no hives. I think the zyrtec is a miracle."

allhivedout August 15, 2016