User Reviews for Cetirizine to treat Allergic Rhinitis

Also known as: Zyrtec, Alleroff, Quzyttir, PediaCare Children's 24-Hour Allergy, All Day Allergy Children's, Equate Allergy Relief, All Day Allergy, Children's Allergy Relief, Zyrtec Hives, Aller-Tec Children's Aller-Tec

Cetirizine Rating Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 284 medications used in the treatment of Allergic Rhinitis.

Reviews for Cetirizine

Dani · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 11, 2020

“I'm a 21 year old female. The worst allergy medicine I've ever taken, next to Levocetirizine. Besides being sedated and anxious, I most recently have been waking up with hives, shortness of breath, swollen eyelids and top lip, itching and burning skin, and panic attacks. I discontinued this medicine after like 3 months of taking it almost daily, I was absolutely miserable. I will never take this garbage again. I'm on day 2 of not taking it and I'm starting to feel better.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 3, 2020

Zyrtec (cetirizine): “I am taking zirtec for over 4 years, almost every 1 to 2 days or as needed (Allergic doctor's suggestion) It makes me feel relief of the itching and pollen symptoms but if I stop taking it, my whole body started to react, itching everywhere and producing stress on me. Im trying to quit this medication little by little. Drinking a lot of water with mint plant (3 L.) daily. IT WORKS BUT NOT EASY AT ALL. I increased 1 day each time after take the zirtec and believe is not easy but ignored the side effects and drink a sip of water each time your body itches. Little by little will decrease. I have 8 days without taking this medication. Other than light itching, insomnia, headaches, muscle stress side effects so far. I will keep going ahead. Pharmaceuticals business using us to keep doing their income. It might be a natural replacement if you know please shared!”

Michelle August 15, 2020

Zyrtec (cetirizine): “This is the only allergy medicine I use after trying multiple ones. It works best for me without any side effects except very slight drowsiness. I also have an anxiety disorder but this medicine doesn’t effect it at all, if anything it helps. I take as needed and sometimes daily if my allergies are bad or if my asthma kicks in. I’ve used it on and off for the last 7 years. My allergist recommended it, and said it works the best for me after allergy skin tests.”

sympathomimetic · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 15, 2020

“I got prescribed cetirizine 20mg for seasonal allergies and I find that it really helps with itchy eyes, throat, and sneezing. It doesn't help so much with congestion, but it's not really expected to. I don't find it too sedating, it makes me a little more tired than usual, but nothing compared to a first generation antihistamine.”

Nalita · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 9, 2020

Zyrtec (cetirizine): “This medicine is absolutely awful. Please avoid! If you take it long term you will experience the following : 1- weight gain 2- sleepiness 3-irritability 4-heart palpitations 5-sévère anxiety 6-muscle twitches 7- hypertension 8-bloating 9- IBS Those are serious side effects. I implore you to do everything you can to avoid taking this stuff. On a positive note, once you quit all those symptoms will clear within a few days to a week. PS: when you quit you may experience severe Pruritus, please wait it out and refrain from popping another pill, I promise you it will go away despite how miserable it can be. It is like withdrawing from a real drug which is scary. It will subside. ”

DArm · Taken for less than 1 month June 28, 2020

Zyrtec (cetirizine): “Allergy triggers have been ruthless this year so I had to bring the ol' Zyrtec out of the cabinet. Everything was great at first but then I started experiencing nausea that grew worse as the weeks went on. In between weeks three and four, I decided that it was becoming unbearable and also remembered this as being why I stopped taking Zyrtec when I got this bottle last year. My last dose was three days ago. I, like most here, developed the burning/itching withdrawal symptom about 48 hours after my last dose but has not been as severe as some describe nor was it the last time I stopped. My guess is that most reporting intense experiences have taken Zyrtec long term while I was only a month in this time and roughly two months the last time I took it. I can imagine how bad it could get if it's as noticeable as it is for me after only a month though. My advice would be to not use this stuff regularly if possible or at all if you can avoid it altogether.”

Anonymous June 27, 2020

Zyrtec (cetirizine): “My doctor gave me a prescription Zyrtec and I took it for a month but realized that when I didn’t take my dose my hands and feet would start itching uncontrollably so I took the Zyrtec and the itching was gone so that’s when I realized it was the Zyrtec that was causing my itch. So, I went to taking Claritin and it did the same thing to me as the Zyrtec. Now I’m taking Xzyal and I can’t stop taking it because my hands start to itch like crazy. Zyrtec was the medicine that started it all. So, I’m trying to wean my self off any of this allergy medicine.”

Anonymous June 4, 2020

Zyrtec (cetirizine): “I was prescribed Zyrtec by my doctor when I was very young, for my seasonal allergies. A few years later I started taking it every day and this kept going on for 4 years (daily usage). I will not deny the fact that Zyrtec is the most effective allergy pill I have EVER taken, and that even though it doesn’t completely relieve me from ALL my allergy symptoms it is fast and effective. However, nothing is perfect. I decided to stop it because I’ve become too dependent on it. I’m sure it’s going to be a tough journey but I’m willing to do this for the sake of my body. It makes you drowsy, affects your sleep (I have always been a light sleeper, but Zyrtec made it impossible for me to feel like I slept well), causes depression and worsens my anxiety. I also read that it causes weight gain. I was 60 KG before and was noticeably slimmer. I gained 10 KG’s in the span of 4 years. Itching is better than being physically dependent on something as strong as Zyrtec.”

Sleepless in Clermont May 30, 2020

Zyrtec (cetirizine): “Quitting Zyrtec is the worst! For 4 days now I itch everywhere. Really waning to chop my hands and feet off. Trying not to give in but this is hell. Once this is under control I will NEVER use Zyrtec again. Wish I knew about this before I started.”

JL May 6, 2020

Zyrtec (cetirizine): “I have had seasonal allergies starting about 15 years ago until now. I have also had sinusitis since I was a teenager. Both the generic and brand name Cetirizine works the same for me, but the generic is SIGNIFICANTLY CHEAPER! As soon as I start getting itchy or watery eyes, sneezing from an unknown source, etc.. I will take a pill, and 95% of the time I will start getting relief within 30 to 45 minutes. As far as my sinusitis goes, I will have to take Zyrtec-D or my headaches from the sinus pressure will not subside or go away. I have no itching or heart palpitations on regular cetirizine but did notice occasional palpitations or increased heart rate with Zyrtec-D. This is somewhat expected since Zyrtec-D has Pseudoephedrine in it(the stuff used to make Methamphetamine). I would suggest that if anyone is having heart palpitation issues when using Zyrtec, make sure you're not taking Zyrtec-D as they are not the same thing.”

JJ · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 3, 2020

Zyrtec (cetirizine): “There is not a single good enough reason to start taking Zyrtec. I’ve tried to quit multiple times and I end up having to take it again because of the relentless itchiness. On top of that it makes you quite drowsy and doesn’t fix the allergy symptoms I started taking it for. Since trying to quit for the 3rd time I’ve also experienced severe headaches and neck pain. Weaning yourself off seems to be the best option.”

Irene · Taken for less than 1 month May 2, 2020

Zyrtec (cetirizine): “I’d been taking Zyrtec for two weeks when I was suddenly hit with rapid irregular heartbeat. I wasn’t doing anything much at the time, I’ve never had a heart problem, I’m 41, healthy and active. I stood still and breathed calmly, drank some water, it got better but I’d just taken the Zyrtec an hour before so I was still at full dose for 24hrs after that. Zyrtec is the only drug I’m taking, and it was sudden and odd, so I checked. Tachycardia and cardiac arrest are indeed among the listed side effects for this drug. It’s now a few hours past when I should’ve taken my next dose and I still feel a little jittery today. In retrospect I’d been feeling jittery, impatient, and cloudy for hours before it happened, and I’d not been sleeping well for 2 nights. So I think if you’re feeling uncharacteristically jittery it may be a warning sign. I was also having headaches 2 days before it happened. ”

Tika · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 22, 2020

Zyrtec (cetirizine): “Zyrtec did stop my sneezing, and only took 2 days for total relief. After two weeks on a whole pill each day, I gradually started getting vertigo and mild visual hallucinations. (patterns danced) About a year later, I tried again, this time on a half pill each day. a month later, the vertigo started. I have stopped taking it, and I'm having symptoms like a mild migraine, but the vertigo is fading.”

Sarah · Taken for less than 1 month April 6, 2020

Zyrtec (cetirizine): “After taking Zyrtec with a cough medicine I became so light headed I thought it was the end of me. My neck got stiff and pain my head was hurting on top and light head unable to drive , I was sure I’m having a stroke. I stop taking it for 2 days and all those symptoms are gone.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month March 22, 2020

Zyrtec (cetirizine): “The winds started up 3 weeks ago and my nose from my allergies was just stuffed with sticky phlegm and severe lethargy. I bought the generic brand of Zyrtec and it alleviated the problem somewhat. Today I went to buy more and could't find any so I bought the Zyrtec brand and it is sooooo much more effective. Not just clear breathing, but my usual hyperactive self once more.”

RJ · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 5, 2019

Zyrtec (cetirizine): “Stay away from this drug (Zyrtec) for seasonal allergies-there are better alternatives. While taking zyrtec, especially if you are older, you may experience dry mouth and accelerated dental caries among other (drowsiness, headache, constipation and miscellaneous other adverse effects). Upon discontinuing zyrtec, you may experience disabling generalized and severe itching without a rash or sometimes with a rash. The itching can occur anywhere on your body-but almost always on the palms and soles. The itching is often severe and unrelenting and often is not associated with a rash. The itching can last for days and weeks. The FDA is aware of this "zyrtec withdrawl syndrome" but to date does not appear too concerned about it. Several hundreds of cases have been reported.”

Can't Quit · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 2, 2019

Zyrtec (cetirizine): “I get monthly allergy shots and was told to take a daily allergy pill as well. Originally I was taking Claritin but was told by my allergist that I should take Zyrtec because it is stronger. Fine. So I've been taking a Zyrtec every day and needed to go off it to take a new allergy skin test. I lasted 3 days before I started on the Zyrtec again. After 48 hours of not having it in my system I started with unbearable itching all over. I thought it could be my new dog until I did a Google search and realized no, my body was going through withdrawal symptoms from the Zyrtec. No one ever told me this was a possibility. DO NOT TAKE THIS DAILY FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME. Now I have to ween myself off this drug.”

Andy · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 9, 2019

“I use to take one to two cetirizine every day at my old jobs. Two made me sleepy. I work in mouldy old building and 100 year old boat. I get 14 tablets for $1.00 @ dollar tree or 400 tablets for $16 plus tax at Sam's club. ”

DennisP14 · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 13, 2019

Zyrtec (cetirizine): “Doc put me on ciprofloxacin antibiotic. Had an allergic reaction- head to toe rash and hives. Per docs instructions, stopped the ciprofloxacin and took Zyrtec. Rash was gone within 24 hours. Also cleared up my chronic sinusitis that I had used Claritin for with little success. Still take Zyrtec generic for seasonal allergies and have had adverse side effects.”

Anonymous September 29, 2019

Zyrtec (cetirizine): “I have been on Zyrtec for 2 weeks. My throat is scratchy all the time. I am depressed and I’ve gained about 4 lbs.”

Bunnyc · Taken for less than 1 month August 7, 2019

Zyrtec (cetirizine): “It is an awesome med for allergies. But it made me depressed. Even with taking the children’s liquid and using a small amount it still did. I worry about people taking this and not realizing it can make them depressed. In prescriptions it has to tell you to watch out for changes in mood and sadness but not for over the counter. As for drowsiness, taking the children’s liquid helped with that.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 31, 2019

Zyrtec (cetirizine): “I would like to share my experience using zyrtec, to make anyone who may consider stopping it that it can cause severe itching when stopped. Although taking zyrtec most definitely relieves my allergy symptoms, when I had to stop it because of allergy testing, within a couple days of stopping zyrtec I broke out into an itchy rash that drove me crazy for days and nights. It caused me a lack of sleep for awhile. So please for anyone considering using zyrtec as your choice of allergy relief medicine, be aware stopping it could cause severe itching and discomfort.”

MNMike · Taken for less than 1 month July 25, 2019

Zyrtec (cetirizine): “Tried the 24 hour Zyrtec for a week. Each day got a running nose and itchy, watery eyes. Zyrtec doesn't work for me.”

WednesdayGirl · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 8, 2019

“Pruritis is real, and trying to quit Zyrtec is the cause. I’m disappointed that more is not known or bring done - there must be some powerful drug lobbyists behind this company. I’m just glad to know I’m not crazy, and that some people have had success weaning themselves off of this garbage. I hope that I’m one of them.”

Pat June 23, 2019

“I agree with the comments about making you drowsy and sleepy. Seemed to be ok-ish with half a tablet but as soon as I started taking a full tablet as the high grass pollen season approached, it left me a complete mess. Sleeping for 9 hours a night with 2 hours naps in the day. In work I had to have power naps in the bog so I wouldn’t collapse at my desk. My brain was foggy & it’s drains and sucks the life out of you, to a point that I almost felt depressed.”

Learn more about Allergic Rhinitis

Symptom checker

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)