Generic name: cetirizine hydrochloride
Dosage form: tablet
Drug class: Antihistamines
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jun 21, 2021.
Active ingredient (in each tablet)
Cetirizine HCl 5 mg
relieves itching due to hives (urticaria). This product will not prevent hives or an allergic skin reaction from occuring.
Severe Allergy Warning: Get emergency help immediately if you have hives along with any of the following symptoms:
- trouble swallowing
- dizziness or loss of consciousness
- swelling of tongue
- trouble speaking
- swelling in or around mouth
- wheezing or problems breathing
These symptoms may be signs of anaphylactic shock. This condition can be life threatening if not treated by a health professional immediately. Symptoms of anaphylactic shock may occur when hives first appear or up to a few hours later.
Not a Substitute for Epinephrine. If your doctor has prescribed an epinephrine injector for "anaphylaxis" or severe allergy symptoms that could occur with your hives, never use this product as a substitute for the epinephrine injector. If you have been prescribed an epinephrine injector, you should carry it with you at all times.
Do not use
• to prevent hives from any known cause such as:
- insect stings
- latex or rubber gloves
because this product will not stop hives from occuring. Avoiding the cause of your hives is the only way to prevent them. Hives can sometimes be serious. If you do not know the cause of your hives, see your doctor for a medical exam. Your doctor may be able to help you find a cause.
• if you have ever had an allergic reaction to this product or any of its ingredients or to an antihistamine containing hydroxyzine.
Ask a doctor before use if you have
- liver or kidney disease. Your doctor should determine if you need a different dose.
- hives that are an unusual color, look bruised or blistered
- hives that do not itch
When using this product
- drowsiness may occur
- avoid alcoholic drinks
- alcohol, sedatives, and tranquilizers may increase drowsiness
- be careful when driving a motor vehicle or operating machinery
- an allergic reaction to this product occurs. Seek medical help right away.
- symptoms do not improve after 3 days of treatment
- the hives have lasted more than 6 weeks
- If breast-feeding: not recommended
- If pregnant: ask a health professional before use.
| adults and children 6 years and over
|| 1 to 2 tablets once daily depending upon
severity of symptoms; do not take more than
2 tablets in 24 hours.
| adults 65 years and over
|| 1 tablet once a day; do not take more than 1
tablet in 24 hours
| children under 6 years of age
|| ask a doctor
| consumers with liver or kidney disease
|| ask a doctor
• store between 20° to 25°C (68° to 77°F)
Inactive ingredients colloidal silicon dioxide, corn starch, hypromellose, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, polyethylene glycol, povidone, talc, titanium dioxide
Questions or comments?
call 1-269-544-2299 weekdays
TORRENT PHARMACEUTICALS LTD.
Indrad-382 721, Dist. Mehsana, INDIA.
PRINCIPAL DISPLAY PANEL
Cetirizine HCl Tablets 5 mg
24 Hour Relief of Itching Due to Hives
500 Tablets 5 mg each
Do not use if imprinted inner safety seal is torn or missing.
cetirizine hydrochloride tablet
|Labeler - Torrent Pharmaceuticals Limited (916488547)|
Frequently asked questions
- Should cetirizine be taken at bedtime or upon awakening? And before or after any particular meal?
- Is Generic Zyrtec Available?
- Can you take antihistamines when pregnant?
More about cetirizine
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Patient Tips
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Pricing & Coupons
- 248 Reviews
- Drug class: antihistamines
- Prescribing Information
- Cetirizine (FDA)
- Cetirizine Oral Solution (FDA)
- Cetirizine Tablets Chewable (FDA)