User Reviews for Certolizumab

Also known as: Cimzia

Certolizumab has an average rating of 6.8 out of 10 from a total of 52 ratings on Drugs.com. 54% of those users who reviewed Certolizumab reported a positive effect, while 23% reported a negative effect.

Crohn's Disease, Maintenance   9.2
Non-Radiographic Axial Spondyloarthritis   1.0
Summary of Certolizumab reviews 6.8 52 reviews

Reviews for Certolizumab

David · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 9, 2021

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I have been taking Cimza for about 10 years. I tried Enbrel and it worked about 2 months, then went on Humira and it worked for about 6 months. After that I was put on Cimza and have had the very best results for the last 10 years. I pretty much do everything I was doing before RA and it was very bad at one time, my pain was unbearable at onetime. I have had some weight gain (10-15 lbs) but that is fine with me, my lab work comes back great every time.”

Steve January 12, 2021

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Psoriatic Arthritis: “Horrible experience after 3rd loading dose injection of Cimzia. Feel sick in lower abdomen and bladder is bloated. Severe IBS pain, bloating, mucous-diarrhea, constipation and more pain. Very upsetting, and Rheumatologist just said go to ER for help during a pandemic. No help on symptoms or coaching. I do not believe that 94% of patients stay on this med. What a pity. I really needed it. Haven’t eaten in 2 days. Never took the 1st monthly injection after the 3rd loading dose. It’s a dangerous med.”

Maggie · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 22, 2020

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Non-Radiographic Axial Spondyloarthritis: “Please see my review for Cosentyx. It describes my experience with Cimzia.”

Porkchop · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 17, 2020

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Dmards were not working and Rheumatologist said MTX was too damaging to liver. I was leary of trying biologics because I gain weight with every new drug I try. Cimzia has given me my life back but I have gained 15-20 lbs. I had a gastric sleeve done 3 yrs ago and maintained same weight for 2 yrs. The weight came on from this drug. Cimzia does cause weight gain. Maybe you will or will not gain weight. These bioligics affect your body chemistry and metabolism. I am depressed about it. But I am working on getting the weight off. I heard others say do not bother it will not come off till you stop the medicine. I would rather be pain free and have a stomach roll than crippled and depressed from pain. I have no other side effects from it. The first few starting doses I had a lot of fatigue for a few days. That went away. Good luck. Remember not everyone gains weight. I just know it did it with me in particular.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 26, 2020

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Psoriatic Arthritis: “My psoriasis flared and became the worse I have had in the 30 years I have had it. Also, I have had a significant increase in my lower back and hip pain. I have been having injections in my hips every two weeks.”

Lyn July 2, 2020

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Diagnosed with sero-negative RA after five years of joint replacements and worsening pain and disability. Got with a terrific Rheumatologist. On Hcg, methotrexate and then Cimzia. Been on it for just over a year. Life is almost normal! No pain. No flares. Some belly fat weight gain ( yuck), some hair thinning but that’s about it for side effects. Monthly blood work is perfect. Very thankful everyday for giving me my life back! Pray that this continues.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 1, 2020

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Took 12 weeks for Cimzia to become effective. Have been on it a year now and experiencing very little stiffness or pain. Only issue is the size of injection, pressure needed to engage it for administration and pain of administration. But only lasts about 15 seconds. I do get fatigue and viral type symptoms but no temperature about 24 hours after taking it.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 22, 2020

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Cimzia was wonderful I had severe rheumatoid arthritis and the flare ups were terrible no side effects and if there were any they were so minimal I didn't notice. It took effect relatively quickly after loading dose and second dose I was able to do things I hadn't be able to do for a while. My only warning is speak with your drug coverage as mine is apex and I had and awful time. They denied so many claims and my dr ended up having to take me off it and then I was worse than when I started with pain and all the flare ups and had to go thru the reauthorization for an alternative drug they would cover. It was terrible I wish I could have the Cimzia my dr originally prescribed”

Vick · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 25, 2020

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I have been using this medication Cimzia since 2012 and it's turned my life around. Not only is my illness in remission I am pain free and have an active, healthy and happy life.”

JJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 20, 2020

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Hi there! I have been taking Cimzia for almost 4 months now and it has been working great for my RA. I can actually function and get out of bed pain free every morning. BUT after starting it, I now have very scaly, dry skin on my face. It is along my jawline, beside my ears, eyelids, sometimes my forehead, and my upper arms. But the biggest issue is that since starting it, I have not ovulated now for 3 cycles whereas before this, my cycles were like clockwork. One of the main reasons I started this medication was so that I could get off of Methotrexate and start trying to conceive. My doctor put me on it and then has been off because of an injury since and I haven't even had the opportunity to talk to her about what's going on. The nurse that I have with the Cimzia support group doesn't know much. Really starting to freak out because I am a bit older and am hoping the ovulation starts again but I am HIGHLY considering stopping the medication altogether.”

QueSeraSera · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 8, 2020

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Cimzia has been successful for me. RA flares reduced to once every 3 or 4 months, and these have occurred with cause (using my hands for heavy work or undergoing a stressful event). Only possible (not sure to blame Cimzia) side effect has been a recurring minor skin rash that I control with OTC creams. I receive a monthly injection at my rheumatologist, and would hate to give up this medication!”

JAC · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 5, 2020

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Cimzia put my RA into remission. Before I started this drug, I thought I would be coping with joint pain for the rest of my life. Now, I function normally for the most part. I haven't really experienced any side effects with this medication, except for a bit of weight gain.”

Amy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 12, 2020

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I’ve been on Cimzia for about a year with good but not great success. The injections are very painful. My recent problem is I am getting a very itchy red rash on my eyelids. It starts on one eye then moves to the other. It then goes away and the skin flakes off. After a week it starts the cycle over again. Waiting to get into the dermatologist before fully blaming the Cimzia.”

Pammmmm · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 9, 2020

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “This drug was a god send, my flares finally were at bay, I was even able to go back to lifting with my fiance 3 times a week! Huge downside is that I had a quick burst of Scalp Psoriasis and since then it has spread all over.. will have to unfortunately say goodbye and find another drug as its getting horribly out of control.”

Chronicsupermom · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 28, 2019

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Spondyloarthritis: “Side effects from Cimzia last about a day or two after injection (slight fatigue, mild headache & mild diarrhea). Nothing compared to my life before Cimzia. Cimzia has lowered GI distress by over 80% & joint pain by about 50%. I have had dark bruising or redness, swelling and rash at the injection site, but it never lasts more than a week. It also doesn't happen every time. I do place a timer on my phone to remind me when I'm due, as well as the last injection site, because it's easy to forget. You do want to move around each injection. I also make sure the Cimzia is not super cold before injecting & I go very slowly, as it seems to not to burn as bad when injecting as well. I did have a horrible reaction to Humira, within 12 hours I came down with an intense pneumonia. The docs think it was an adverse reaction, thankfully never had that with Cimzia.”

Anonymous November 10, 2019

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Crohn's Disease: “Just to update, after 2 years of success, this medication caused me Drug-induced lupus (DIL) just like the others. I have partial use of my one hand and whole-body joint pain. I don't think there is much left for me to do anymore with drugs.”

zap · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 9, 2019

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Psoriatic Arthritis: “I have tried everything for psoriatic arthritis I felt for a short time that Cimzia then my psoriasis got worse then ever. I stopped it and started. Nothing has ever worked.”

E30guy · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 17, 2019

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Crohn's Disease: “I have Crohns with AS and right sided ulcerative colitis. Failed Remicade, failed Enrico, Humira gave me medically induced lupus and been on Cimzia for 2 years. I have never been in a total remission but Cimzia worked decently for 1.5 years. Now I’m afraid it’s beginning to fail. The only hope I have is this is just a flair that might end soon. It’s been 4 weeks.”

Turbo September 30, 2019

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Psoriatic Arthritis: “Diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis almost 2 yrs ago. 1sr Dr put me on methotrexate... and Prednisone. Didn't do anything for the pain and stiffness. Moved and got with a new Dr. Was screened and started on Cimzia. Worked GREAT!. Dr closed his practice and I have to go to a different Dr. Took 6 months to get in with my current Dr. Had to get a new schedule of treatment and restarted the Cimzia. Loading does aren't as effective as before,hoping the meds will take hold soon. Cannot use my right thumb due to an inability to flex the thumb joints. Sucks when it's your dominant hand. Hoping the Cimzia will be able to reduce the issues with my hands soon.”

Aimes · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 15, 2019

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Ankylosing Spondylitis: “I was so hesitant to use Cimzia as I was so scared I would get sick and all the associated risk and side effects of an immune suppressant... well, in 3 weeks It was for the first time in 2 years being pain free. I did feel exhausted and gain weight, whether it was because I lost my will to exercise or the medication directly. I was pain free and I never got sick. Almost 2 years in and I have not even had a cold, one ache or pain etc. I have now changed my diet and forced myself to focus a bit more on my weight, vitamins to increase my energy and feel the best I have felt in 3 years!!! I am still on Cimzia however I am trying to lower my dose. ”

ItchyMegs · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 12, 2019

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Psoriatic Arthritis: “Cimzia worked well to treat my Psoriatic Arthritis but never really cleared my psoriasis. After a bout of Strep, my entire body became inflamed and I had to switch to Taltz (entirely different family than Cimzia). Total of 2.5 years on Cimzia. Then last year they changed their Savings card from a RX Bin to a preloaded Visa. I had to call every month to load the savings card then I had to call the specialty pharmacy every month to refill my prescription. Total of about 45 minutes to an hour a month to get it all processed. Was much more difficult than Humira and Enbrel process. Was very annoying. When I voiced my frustration with the Cimzia Savings card team, they were snippy and said "well, you're getting $750 in free medicine". Which was incorrect, I'm lucky to have good insurance so it would have only been $25 copay. Looking back, it would have been beneficial to dump the savings plan and pay the $25 to avoid frustrations.”

Anastopolis · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 30, 2019

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Psoriatic Arthritis: “I've finished my loading dosages and will be starting monthly maintenance in two weeks. So far it's been great for the pain but has done nothing for the psoriasis. Methotrexate worked for both but I couldn't handle the constant upper respiratory infections. Then tried Otezla which as far as I'm concerned should be banned. Horrible side effects but did work for the psoriasis thought did not do much for the pain. Then they put me on sulfasalazine which I'm allergic to. So now it's Cimzia. I'm far more active than I have been in the last year. I can't complain because it has helped with the pain and I have not had any adverse side effects yet.”

MW · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 24, 2019

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “The product Cimzia works OK for my RA, but the company is one of the worst in regards to patient support, I would try others like Humira first prior to starting this. It should be a last option just due to the lack of patient support. I would list all of the areas they are lacking in, but it would take too long. Other Biologics have their act together with better HUBs and support.”

Joan · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 14, 2019

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Ankylosing Spondylitis: “Have ankylosing Spondylitis (AS), Crohn's & psoriatic arthritis (PA) and was on Remicade for 9 years, it worked and I felt well with seldom flares. Then it stopped working and so I went onto Cimzia. My AS is the pits, My whole upper body hurts. Crohn's is so so. Looking for a newer medication that treats all three. Anyone else have all three autoimmune diseases?”

Cloud · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 15, 2019

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Just beginning cimzia (certolizumab) and now at one month shots, I actually woke up and my hands moved without pain and stiffness so it works !! The side effects are becoming less. The early side effects were fever and pain, even though it is now helping my joint pain. I have high hopes and will continue with this medicine. I am hoping for less pain and future joint damage”