User Reviews for Invokana (Page 4)

Invokana has an average rating of 5.9 out of 10 from a total of 253 ratings on Drugs.com. 48% of those users who reviewed Invokana reported a positive effect, while 33% reported a negative effect.

Diabetes, Type 2
5.9
Summary of Invokana reviews 5.9 253 reviews

Reviews for Invokana

Ronnie10 · Taken for less than 1 month February 25, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Doctor gave me a month's worth of samples to get my sugar readings down. After 3 weeks, they have dropped quite a bit (200+ down to 130-140). Livable side effects: MUCH more frequent urination, extreme thirst, and chapped lips & hands. Doctor faxed a prescription yesterday, my insurance told me the cost would be $595. This is more than all my other medications cost me for the whole year! No generic is available. I canceled the order. Can't afford it.”

Les Doodis October 12, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I've been on this for a week, on 100mg dose, but this stuff is tearing me up. I am urinating frequently and every time it's an emergency run to the bathroom. I have to walk out of meetings at work. I used to have a bladder of steel. I wake up 3 times per night to pee. My thirst is almost unbearable. After 1 week, both my wife and I have yeast infections. My penis is burning. Now, I also have diarrhea. I am a mess.”

Mrs Cashdollar · Taken for less than 1 month August 27, 2013

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Been on Invokana for a week now. My blood sugars have been significantly reduced. I am also watching my diet, very low carbs. Still have not lost any weight, which was the reason why I was put on this medicine to begin with. My A1C went from a 9.9 to a 7.3 at last weeks endocirnologist appointment. I wonder if I should let this go for a bit longer. I had hoped to see some weight loss during this time, but haven't lost a pound. I have noticed only a slight increase in urination and haven't really been thirsty. Maybe it hasn't been long enough. Any ideas? Oh, and my insurance covered this right from the beginning. I didn't need the rebate card. That was nice.”

t.rodgers September 7, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I've been on Invokana for almost a year. No problems though I realize that I have to drink water almost constantly. Went from size 18 to size 12, but I cut out a lot of sugar and try to eat more healthy, like watching my carbs.”

Stormasis · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 10, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I have been on this med for almost a year. Prior to this, all other meds either didn't work for me or I had unbearable side effects. The only bearable maintenance was Levemir 100 units daily. I gained about 30 lbs! Doc put me on Invokana, I have lost 25 lbs, I have lowered the insulin to 35 units a day. A1C is 6.3. Had been a yeast infection nightmare though! Doc knocked out the yeast infections with Fluconazole and I take 1 Fluconazole a week now and am keeping the YI nightmare away! This has been the only drug that has truly helped!”

Wd · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 26, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I've been on Invokana for at least 3 years. I love how it relieves you of excess sugar, but it has caused many yeast infections and a UTI. I notice when I take it, it makes me crave sugar more. I need to look into other options.”

Laura1977 · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 6, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I love this medicine been on it for 2 months no side effects... Totally off of insulin and lost 42 lbs with a little change of food intake... Wouldn't change it for anything been diabetic for over 15yrs and nothing has worked for like it is now....”

Jaythesnake December 16, 2014

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I have been taking this medication for about two weeks now and notice that the my levels in the morning have drop from 170 to 118. But the side effect now is itching on the penis area. Will consult with the MD to stop taking it if the itching continue.”

Herman Minderchuck January 6, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I've been taking Invokana for 1 year now and really like it. I've lost weight and have had no side effects except that I have to have water with me all the time but that's ok. Now my Cigna insurance says they won't pay for it any more & I have to get farxiga or jardiance and I have read all the horror stories about both of them. If my hair starts falling out or I start aching all over and can't walk, I'm going to sue the insurance company. Why are insurance companies trying to play doctor???”

Anonymous November 2, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Put on meds 300mgs summer of 2016 after being on 100mgs Januvia since 2007. Have all the side affects, I told doctor who said it's normal. Do have kidney disease that WWE monitor. Issue is I'm feel like I'm going crazy brain fog, very very tired, anxiety high, don't trust my judgement, my ocd has come back big time, know what I'm thinking about just can't think of the right words, know what I wanna say but comes out different, paranoid,insomnia, I sleep about 12 hrs a day, don't have energy hot flashes,use to be very active person. Don't want to do anything or be bothered by anyone my life has really been altered, was just wondering if anyone else experienced this too.”

Ecky February 29, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Invokana has help me to keep my diabetes under very good control. I have had diabetes for 30 yrs. I visit my doctor often. Lab work is normal. I worry when I hear of side effects and the advertisements by law firms.”

REDMAN · Taken for less than 1 month July 17, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2: “My Doctor put me on Invokana . I took two tablets Saturday and Sunday) and ended up in Intensive Care with acute kidney failure on the Tuesday. My A & E Consultant said I was the sickest person in the hospital that night and my family were told I might not make it. Thankfully after 6 hours on dialysis and over a week in ICU I survived. Please be aware of the side effects of this drug !!!!!”

Gen1203 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 13, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Although this medication did bring my sugars down a bit and my tastings incredible I had to stop taking it because of constant yeast infections. I thought I could toughen it out but after being on it for three months and no sign of the infections going away my doctor took me off of it. I have also notice my hair is so much thinner and falling out. My nails were also brittle and breaking. And make sure you drink plenty of water because it dehydrates you very fast”

Jan61 July 15, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Invokana 300 mg has been a blessing to restoring my health. In February I was on 50 units of insulin (long acting) and it was ineffective at controlling my diabetes. In Feb A1C 11.2 April 9.0 July 7.1. Initially, I was on Long Acting Insulin and the Invokana 300 mg. by April I was just on the Invokana. Please note I had bad reactions (from hives and lumps to gatrointestinal distress) to at least five diabetic medications. Ugh! Thank you for your product. I also have been able to use the drug copayment help offer by the company.”

Nayala February 16, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I was switched to Invokana to reduce my A1C . The first month I had no negative experiences with the medication. However, I took the pills for two more weeks and developed a serious urinary tract and yeast infection. I was able to clear the infections with Monistat and AZO. I stopped taking the Invokana. About a week later I developed boils on my thumb, upper thighs and vaginal area which I was able to clear with Neosporin with the exception of one on my thigh which would not drain. I finally went to the Emergency. The boil was lanced and drained while I was put on an IV for antibiotics and pain meds. It took six weeks to heal. Another two weeks and I have another boil on my vaginal area. This has been a very painful experience.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month August 6, 2017

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I have been a T2 diabetic for 10 years. I started invokana 2 days ago and it has been absolutely horrible. I have never felt so bad in my life. I am unable to perform my job having to leave work early because of the feeling of just being extremely tired. I have been in the bed these last two days more than I would like. I have been urinating at every 15 to 20 minutes all day and night and have noticed a smell in my urine that wasn't there before. This medication needs to be pulled off of the market.”

type 2 patient · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 6, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I was taking metformin for 7 years. Doc added januvia as a1c was climbing. It did not work at all. Moved to invokana and had immediate results. Blood levels now normal and lowest in 7 years. Losing weight too. Some thirst issues but not serious. Fast level 110 after meal 140. Only problem: IT IS EXPENSIVE.”

SoundA2 September 3, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: “The general side effects of dehydration and urination aside, those were not my problem. Fatigue was the issue. I was on 100mg to start and noticed after six weeks a decrease in mental acuity -- missing things I might not otherwise, more forgetful. My dose was increased to 300mg and all I wanted to do was sleep. Went back down to 100mg, but the exhaustion continues. Time to try something else.”

ScottishGrog · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 25, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: “A1c 13 a year ago. Taking 300mg Invokana alongside 2000mg metformin and 50u lantus once daily. A1c made it to 7.0. Very happy now. Lantus alone and lantus plus metformin did not help enough over the last ten years. Thirsty and sometimes tired (water and caffeine counters this). Also taking tiny dose of lisinopril to protect kidneys. No other side effects (never encountered any urinary issues)”

RevNJ August 3, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I found this drug to be quite problematic for me. It caused such severe dehydration after shifting to the 300mg dosage that I could not get through a night's sleep without awakening to excruciatingly painful leg and foot cramps that thoroughly awakened me. I would also awake at night and in the morning, feeling as if someone had poured sand in my eyes. Even my eyes were dehydrated. I attempted to address the dehydration by drinking as much as a gallon and a half of water per day, with a lot of water before bedtime. Constant urination (of course!) No real effect on my glucose readings. Prior to starting Invokana I had started a no sugar/starch diet, and returned to daily exercise which brought my numbers down more than Invokana.”

Bear54 January 19, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Been on Invokana for about two months, and while it lowered my insulin use (I'm on a pump and was using about 250 units a day) it's had some unpleasant side effects too. There is some pain in the penis during sex, and after the act the penis has turned bright red and sore on some occasions. It usually goes away in a day or two, but I'm thinking about going off of it. I've also had stomach upset, lightheaded and dizzyness (especially on getting up).”

Bebe2016 February 26, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Been taking Invokana for 5 months. Had yeast infection the fist month and bad vaginal itch but it was controlled after I wash 3 times a day or wash when I start itching. So far I lost 20lbs. I think my hair loss is due to body change, but I can deal with that. This drug really works for me. Just so expensive!”

everyone is not the same · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 7, 2017

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I have been on many medications and insulin also, I have been on invokana for almost a year and what a huge difference for me. Yes at first you are thirsty drinking lots of water but you should be drinking water anyways to not get dehydrated as a diabetic. All medications are different for people so you just need to do what you body feels, I rather take a pill than insulin any day. I have been a diabetic for over 7 yrs. So I have tried many things, this worked for me. I read a lot of the reviews also and was not sure but my doctor wanted me to give it a try so glad I did. I just wanted to say what works for one may not work for the other. Just don't give up. You'll find what works for you”

WeaselMama · Taken for less than 1 month June 21, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Within 12 days 100 mg brought my sugar down 40 pts. HOWEVER, it did a number on my blood pressure. I have excellent blood pressure, on the lower end of normal, and this dropped it down to the point I could barely function. Fatigue so bad I had to stop driving after 15 miles because I was falling asleep at the wheel. Going up the 3 flights of stairs to my apt felt like climbing Mt. Everest. Constant dizziness, wooziness, the floor felt like it was moving when I'd bend down. Weird tunnel vision effect like what happens when you know you're gonna faint. It took 2 full days for all those side effects to clear after I quit taking it. I suffered 12 days thinking I'd get used to it but it just kept getting worse. Beware low BP side effects with it”

Just Say No! December 24, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Took this med for about 3 months. If I could have given it a lower rating than -0- I would. I had constant yeast infections, peed all the time, excessive thirst, dry skin, and vaginal sores. Heck, I might as well have not taken it, as I had all the symptoms of high blood sugar, and it would have been cheaper! I would not recommend this drug for anyone.”