User Reviews for Invokana (Page 3)

Invokana has an average rating of 5.9 out of 10 from a total of 253 ratings on Drugs.com. 48% of those users who reviewed Invokana reported a positive effect, while 33% reported a negative effect.

Diabetes, Type 2
5.9
Summary of Invokana reviews 5.9 253 reviews

Reviews for Invokana

Moke1204 · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 1, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Been on Invokana for 2 years now and A1c went from 8.8 to 6.5. Weight loss was the best part of taking this medication. Really no side effects except having to pee more often if I eat too much. Was advised by my doctor to drink more water than usual to avoid yeast infection. So far so good. I hope my insurance continues to cover this medicine.”

Shadowlady68 · Taken for less than 1 month January 17, 2017

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Invokana works best when you drink plenty of water to flush your system. It blocks extra sugar from being absorbed by your body and transfers it to your urine, So, you basically urinate out the extra sugars in your blood. It's also a smart drug, so it will stop being as effective when you are close to normal levels. So you won't drop too low. If you are having a problem with yeast infections, you have to stop eating sugars and carbs. I also highly recommend using virgin coconut oil to treat the yeast infections. Please try this drug, it really works!”

Sam February 18, 2020

For Diabetes, Type 2: “My wife almost died from this - do not take invokana. It was a horrible experience, sad, frustrating it makes me feel very angry, she could not walk, was very weak, didn't feel good at all, be careful.”

t00ts September 14, 2014

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Started Invokana(300x1) and Janumet(1000x2) 1 week, my A1C was a 15.2. I am not overweight 5"6 123Lbs, but I have a Hypothyroid issue. I am not sure which one or even both are causing the side effects but any help with regards to the nausea and stomach pain would be greatly appreciated. My numbers are better, I was in the high 400's and now in the last week I haven't gone over 149.”

Mari Sherv August 10, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: “This medication works perfectly for me, I am taking 300 mg/day since day 1 because my H1C was 10.8 and after 3 months is 6.3 I lost 30 pounds, eating better, but not a hard diet and exercising 2 times a week. Of course I feel thirst, some issues with yeast infection, but all worth!”

UT Mom · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 21, 2014

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I've been taking 300mg for 4 months. I've lost 4 pounds, but most importantly, my AC1 is 5.8. That's the best it's ever been in 7 years. Recently, I've noticed my sugar levels drop to 66, so I may need to stop taking this medication. I weigh 159 pounds and I'm 42 years old. I take a weekly injection of Bydureon and I think that is enough for me. I'm always at 90-110 fasting. For me, its difficult to exercise, because my sugar levels drop dramatically. If I diet, my sugar levels drop a lot as well, so I'm having a hard time losing weight when I have all these problems.”

SD Mario · Taken for less than 1 month October 3, 2013

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I have only been on this new medicine for two weeks, but have already noticed a significant drop in my daily readings. When I found out my co-pay for this medicine I was ready to drop it. Now I will use up my first free month of medication and if the effectiveness continues I will spring for the co-pay. So far no noticeable side effects. ”

Daphne · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 16, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I used Invokana for years, along with Metformin and Victoza. At first Invokana had me running to the bathroom a lot. I had vaginal yeast infections in the beginning and once later. What was very strange the Invokana just stopped working. I no longer had urges to go to the bathroom. I told my doctor and he told me to stop taking it.”

Theheckers · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 22, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I have been taking this drug for about a year. I have lost 60 lbs. I made changes in my diet, but I am in no way deprived! I feel great. My fasting blood sugars went from about 150 to...96!!! I highly recommend this drug. I found a coupon online that makes it free with my insurance.Do a google search and talk to your pharmacist to see if you can find one.”

Jersey Joe July 2, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I have been on 300mg of Invokana for over 2 years and happy to say no bad side affects. In the first 8 mths I lost approx 35 pounds from 270 to 235 with walking and trying to eat the right foods but not a perfect diet. My A1C dropped from 8.7 to 6.4 the first 6 mths. I think the weight loss and loss of appetite helped to lower the A1C as much as the medication. But, who cares? I think my body is getting immune to it because I seem to be at a level where I'm no longer improving but I am holding at these levels which are much better than where I started. I also take 2000 of metformin a day along with 2000 mg of cinnamon but these along with glipizide wasn't enough. Thanks to the Invokana I'm in a much better healthy condition.”

DrugExpert101 · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 6, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: “No side affects. Lowers my A1C Take it with Victoza. Do not have to use Humalog anymore. Highly recommend it, but it is expensive, the only downfall, and when I first started taking it the places I went to get it filled said I was the very first person to use this.”

Ab · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 6, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I have been a type 2 diabetic for 22 years. I started on invokana 150mg bid along with 1000mg metformin bid in 2016. My a1c was stuck around 8.0 and i was dehydrated with very poor skin turger. Inspite of my concerns about dehydration my arnp increased the invokana to 300mg bid. I experienced a 14lb weight loss and a1c dropped from 8.0 to 6.9. I was pleased, however The dehydration got worse and I began to experience peripheral neuropathy in my lower legs that became increasingly painful over the next few months...when my feet turned bluish purple...I stopped taking the invokana. The pain and discoloration subsided after about 3 weeks. I was on the higher dose for approx 9 months.”

Catahula February 21, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Have only taken the product for 2 days but have felt tired. My appetite has less than usual. I an glad with the loss of appetite. But am in hope that the tiredness will diminish once I have been taking the medication for awhile.”

Holly W. January 10, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: “"I have been on 100mg Invokana for a few years now. When I started taking it I experienced a small weight loss and it appeared to lowered my A1C. One month in I stopped having periods, experienced occasional yeast infections and vaginal itching. Over the years the side effects have grown more intense and frequent. It's miserable! Within the last two weeks I have started having discomfort and a burning feeling in my right foot. I contacted my doctor's office to inquire how to ween myself off this medication, but I was told I needed to make an appointment to 'discuss my options'. I've had enough of the side effects! I am taking myself off this medication whether my PCP agrees or not. Considering my experience with side effects, reading other reviews from users, I will not be taking it again."”

Rebo June 17, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Started taking 100 mg daily at night numbers came down in a week...went to see the Doctor in a month he was happy then he prescribed 300 mg daily...soon after taking this dosage I began to experience an itching on my penis and it was driving me crazy, also experienced more frequent urination along with an insatiable thirst. I was about to schedule an appointment with my urologist until I Googled "Side effects of Invokana". The itching wouldn't stop didn't know that there were these side effects from this medication and even though it helped bring down my sugar levels I really don't think its worth the other problems it presents. I too have experienced a weight loss. It is a good medicine but the side effects aren't worth it. Sorry”

Mrs Mc · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 2, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I started 100mg in November 2014 and my fasting glucose dropped from 140 to 113, (though it often drops within normal range) A1C only dropped from 7.8 to 7.3, I dropped 17 pounds without exercising and my appetite has diminished a great deal. My Dr. increased me to 300mg in hopes of getting my A1C in normal rage. Also my Dr. gave me a discount card that covers 100% of cost for the first year; you can get that discount by signing up on Invokana.com as well. ”

samm i · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 14, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Liked it because it lowered my blood sugar. Hated it because of all the side effects. Would urinate at least 2-3 times an hour constantly, was dying of thirst, mouth dry, yeast infections were the worst I have ever had.”

Tammy P. · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 17, 2017

For Diabetes, Type 2: “At first I liked it. My Endocrinologist was waiting for it to be approved and available, so put me on it once it was. It lowered my Blood Sugar and my Blood Pressure. I did not lose weight as some do (which I suspect is mostly water weight from urinating more). I had to stop my blood pressure medicine because I felt I was bottoming out with both meds (Invokana was lowering my blood pressure too). But now that I have been taking Invokana, since it was available, I just recently stopped it due to not being able to handle the side effects anymore. I feel so FATIQUED ALL the time. My muscles ache once I get to the top of my stairs. I am out of breath and feel like I have run a marathon. My chest would feel tight and just felt faint all the time when doing anything! Add life's stresses (job) to that, and it made me so miserable!! And, I have been working out 4 days a week since Jan!! It is so frustrating. I am also on week 4 of a nothing but veggie and some fruit smoothies (no meat, wheat, and only dairy is whole fat Greek yogurt). So I figured since I was having to watch my blood sugars more closely, since they were lower with this new eating plan, now was a good time to quit the Invokana. I am hoping within a week I might feel like my old self again. Due to doing EVERYTHING I can to HELP my Diabetes, and I still felt bad, I knew it had to be my Invokana. The only other med I take is Lantis SolarStar. I started to get worried about long term effects of Invokana, especially since I was doing what anyone with health issues should do (exercise and eat super healthy), and still felt fatigued, I decided to do more research online and have found MANY others with my SAME and worse side effects. Many complain of constant yeast infections (both women and men), hair loss, swelling of lymph nodes to where they did STD tests and cancer screening, shortness of breath, fatigue, urinary tract infections, bladder infections, kidney issues (some really bad). I got scared reading so many many bad reviews. I don't want to end up with major kidney problems!! So I am going to do what every Type II Diabetic should do, and actually EAT HEALTHY and EXERCISE!! We are switching to organic foods and plan to continue drinking these green smoothies for 2 meals a day and have a reasonable dinner. We need to lose weight anyways. That will ensure we get tons of veggies and fruits and so much nutrition that we would otherwise be deficient in. We keep track of all our calories to ensure we get enough protein, and healthy fat etc. I also take some supplements, super foods, and vitamins made with whole food. We are going to stop all soda, sugar, artificial sweeteners, and pre-made and highly processed foods, as best we can...it will be a process, lol. . I am so mad at all that is put in our food, I can't believe it is legal!!. Most chronic type diseases are due to inflammation in the body and what we PUT in our bodies. Healthy in, healthy out. Crap in, crap out. You ARE what you eat. Stop putting chemicals and toxins in your body. Stop eating food that is not raised/cultivated naturally healthy. Eat whole food and "clean" foods. Cure yourself with Nature's Nutrition! Good luck to you all! :D”

Ashley9117 · Taken for less than 1 month March 19, 2014

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I have been a type one diabetic for 28 years now and I'm 33 years old, I have been on a pump for 11 years now with sugars either low 30's or over 600... Never perfect, my endo even prefers my sugars in the 200's, since I'm so used to it, but here lately I'm over the sick feeling, being tired and sugars being sky high, my new primary physician I stated going to 3 weeks ago mentioned this pill, so last Monday he gave me a week sample and a prescription, Sunday night my sugar was 571,Monday morning before my doctors appointment it was 221, took this pill when I got out of doctor office and my sugar has been below 100 ever since, I have energy and feel great all in three days, I'm going to have to adjust my pump songs for lower doses, I love it”

BRD2015 June 19, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: “A1C was 14.9. Normal insulin program got me down to A1C around 12. Using new long acting insulin w Invokana, A1C now 7.1. I split a 300mg pill and take 1/2 per day. Morning glucose 80's. I am still nervous as this is a new drug but it certainly is an amazing medication.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month October 19, 2014

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I have had reactions to three previous medications.I was hopeful with this one because it works differently. Started on 100 mg. By day 7 I was starting to feel very fatigued 2 hours after taking the pill. Noticed decrease in urination and blurred vision. Symptoms worsened the next couple of days. Lasted 10 days. Guess I go back to my almost carb free diet.”

Linda Laura October 13, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I've been trying to keep on this medication, but I don't think I can. Dr prescribed 100mg for 1 week, then 300mg. Within 2 weeks I had my very first ever (I'm 58) yeast infection. My privates were inflamed and very painful. Took OTC yeast meds. I called the Dr office and he reduced it back down to 100 mg. Now about 10 days later, I have fissures in my vulva. Dr assistant insists that I don't use toilet paper to wipe after urination, but those new wipes that have been out for a few years. I tried but most of them but even the baby wipes are very heavily perfumed. So I bought unscented, sensitive skin baby wipes. They are better, but my skin is still too sensitive for them. Lots of other side effects. I'm not doing well on this med.”

JSgausa · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 29, 2017

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Took Invokana about 9 months. Glucose numbers were great. Started getting horrible yeast infection. It would not go away even with prescription medication. The itching started vaginal and anus area. I was miserable. No type medication would eradicate the itching. Infection got so bad my good white blood count cells could not fight off the infection in my body. Started feeling weak, extremely thirsty, eating so much ice my ice machine could not keep up with me. Started coughing a lot, short of breath, anemic. body aches, dry hair and skin, plus I still had the yeast smell. Had blood test performed at local hospital. White count cells was 247 thousand, normal is 10 thousand. Diagnosis Cancer Chronic Mylogenous Leukemia, my blood got infected.”

shannon c June 16, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I have been on Invokana for 8 weeks. The 3 rd week was the hardest with a horrible yeast infection. Treated that and it's been better ever since . I have lost 18lbs. I feel great and have more energy. The urge to eat bad foods is gone and my sugar levels are normal. I have stopped taking my Apidra which was 14 units with each meal and 7 units at bedtime. I have cut my long acting Lantus from 32 units to 26 units daily. I think I will be off insulin soon if my blood sugars keep dropping. I have a stomach ulcer and could not tolerate other meds so I had to go on insulin. This drug does not affect my ulcer. I am very happy to be on Invokana.”

CarlosV June 13, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I got type 2 diabetes at a very young age and tried all the regular stuff - metformin and victoza but It made me sick and sleepy at work! I had heard about this new pill with invokana and had my doctor prescribing me it and get more information on their care program. I've never felt more better I lost around 55 pounds and feel amazing I highly recommend, besides a few minor side effects I wouldn't change it for the world!!!!”