User Reviews for Invokana

Invokana has an average rating of 5.9 out of 10 from a total of 252 ratings on Drugs.com. 48% of those users who reviewed Invokana reported a positive effect, while 34% reported a negative effect.

Diabetes, Type 2
5.9
Summary of Invokana reviews 5.9 252 reviews

Reviews for Invokana

Chefbearsteve · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 24, 2021

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I was on it for a year and a half it actually dropped my A-1 C I was doing pretty good with it. I went in to get my prescription my insurance company said this will be the last time they paid for it then I found out why. There are many people that have lost limbs because of using it there is a lawsuit against the company for it. I kind of look at it as I looked out I only ended up losing two big toes and 12 surgeries on my feet - be careful.”

Mick · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 21, 2020

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Was put on Invokana in March of 2016. Previously had an A1c of 10.6. Did a good job in knocking down my high numbers but was losing a lot a weight but next A1c was 6.4. Became sicker and sicker losing more weight. Ended up in hospital getting dialysis with renal failure. They immediately suspended invokana. Invokana almost finished me off!”

Lester June 3, 2020

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I've been on Invokana for about 6 months now. It helps with my sugars but the vaginal itching is so intense I thought I was going to have a mental breakdown! I've been off it for almost a week now and still the itching won't go away! In fact it's worse. After reading some stories here I now know that it's also probably the reason I've been itchy every where which in turn has caused me to scratch so much and I've got cuts everywhere! Plus I never had had the extreme numbness and pain in my feet till I started using it! Calling the doctor in the morning cause this is all scaring the crap out of me!!!! DON'T USE THIS DRUG!”

GCD - Pipefitter · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 7, 2014

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Diagnosed type 2 diabetes in 1996, been prescribed the usual medications with not much success. 5 months ago my doctor (of 32 yrs) prescribed Invokana 100 mg. Mind you I have always eaten very well and choose my food wisely. However since starting Invokana I have lost 46 pounds in 4 months and went from a 44 waist to a 36 and I'm still losing weight. My A1C went from 11.3 to 8.0 in first three months, my doctor challenged me and wants to see a 7.0 for my 6 month checkup. I believe I will hit this goal and be below 200 lbs for the first time in decades. Invokana works and for two other construction workers I work with - who also lost a lot of weight as well. The only down side I deal with is going to the bathroom twice as much as before.”

Ginblossom · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 6, 2014

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Been on Invokana since Aug 2013, by October worked my way up to 300mg. In the beginning I dropped 35 lbs, and my numbers are as they were on insulin and Lantus. I feel great. I fight the yeast with a 300 million probiotic called Ultra Flora. I also use an Aquaphor barrier applied daily after I shower to prevent outside vaginal yeast. This has worked great, since I too had the problem with yeast. Sorry to be graphic, but if this helps anyone get to stay on the medicine, I am happy to share. I too am having hair loss issues, but I recently cut my hormone replacement therapy in half and with the rapid weight loss, I am hope things will level out soon. Give the probiotic a good month to work, but stick with it, it is worth it!”

skelley88 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 19, 2014

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I've been taking Invokana for 11 months. Started on 100mg for three weeks then increased to 300 mg daily. My Hgb A1C has gone from 9.6 to 7.1 and my weight has decreased 70 pounds. I've decreased my insulin Humulog 75/25 by 80% and decreased my Metformin by 25%. Still tapering these. I've gone down three clothing sizes, even my shoes are too big! I have had one yeast infection and do use the bathroom more often, but it is worth it!”

Sugarbabies May 8, 2014

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Taking Invokana for 3 months now. My glucose readings are great. Have to stop taking this miracle medicine though, because I've had a relentless feminine itch since I started it. I've been suffering through it because it works so well and I can't take Metformin or Onglyza. Decided I can't take the itching anymore, AND MY HAIR IS STARTING TO FALL OUT. When I comb my hair I get a huge handful every time. I've never lost more than a few hairs at a time before. I sure hope this doesn't continue. Don't have much more to spare! I'm also starting to hurt in the kidney area. Going back to see my doctor.”

Football Chick · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 1, 2014

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Been on Invokana since August 20, 2013. I've lost 36 pounds since then & been able to discontinue taking my glimepiride (within 3 days of starting the Invokana), cut my metformin in half to 1000mg in the morning only, & have begun cutting the insulin from 30 units at bedtime to 20 or less. I still take Victoza in the morning. My A1c has gone from 10.2 to 7.6 and my triglycerides are near the top of the normal range. I have tried Bydureon & Byetta, but Invokana has been the first real successful medicine to help get my diabetes under control. Along with healthy eating choices & exercise, I am under 300lbs for the first time in too many years to count. If I can do this, so can you!”

Lola Laura · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 12, 2014

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I love this medication. Have lost 40 lbs and my blood sugar greatly improved. Fought the yeast infection by taking a low dose over the counter vaginal yeast suppository 2x per week that was prescribed by my doctor. Only bad thing is that I do have hair loss that I think is from this medication. Hoping it is temporary.”

Sue vieau · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 2, 2014

For Diabetes, Type 2: “This Medication is Awseome! I have lost 25 pounds in 4 months. My A1C went from 10.6 to 7.3. Love this medicine, feel GREAT, belly fat gone, down 2 sizes, only thing is the cost. Like giving you a Cadillac and taking the tires away. $348.00 for 30 pills! Awful insurance won't pay. Off most other medicines, have had MANY that do not work, over 13 yrs, this one works! Off Amaryl 4 mg twice a day, my Lantus went from 42 down to 22, my Novolog from 30 to 5 units a day, Just so frustrating that Insuranse Company does not see the savings on the other meds, and the true results. Have been on metformin, Actos, Januvia, Byetta, Avandia , Amaryl worked for 6 yrs plus, have been on Novolog -N, , Levimir, 70/30, none of these medicines worked.”

Lopo · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 25, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I have lost 16 pounds so far in 2 months on Invokana. I have found that it actually suppresses my appetite. I'm not having cravings or eating as much as I was. Only problem I'm having is with burning and irritation in genital area. I tried the over the counter meds for that but it hasn't cleared up. It is driving me insane! Hopefully, I can find a resolution so I can continue to take this medication! I actually feel better and more energetic than I have felt for the past few years.”

Marcadimus · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 24, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I was diagnosed in May with Diabetes in 2014. Went on Metformin, was doing ok, but due to sleep apnea my fasting levels would be in the 280's. Went to an endocrinologist in September, added Invokana. My fasting readings are now in the 120's, my A1C went from 9.7 to 7.1, my energy shot up and now, 5 months in, I am down 14 pounds. Feel so good I joined a gym this month for the first time in years. I have amazing insurance so Invokana costs me nothing, and if you have type 2 at least try it. I have never been so happy with a medicine.”

ArtDeco · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 19, 2014

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Just finishing up the first month on 100 mg and upping the dose to 300 mg to bring the numbers down a little more. No side effects that I've noticed so far, but the glucose number have come down from the low 200's to the 130-160 range. I have been experimenting with the carb intake to see how the medicine handles different carb loads, but now I'm going to go back to low carb and see if I can really get the numbers down to normal. I was taking 40 units of Lantus daily, so just by getting me off of that, the Invokana is worth the high price of admission.”

Kentuckynurse November 19, 2014

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Started Invokana 100 mg about a month ago. Only side effect is some yeast infection, but not bad. I had been on 100 units of Levemir and 100 units Novolog with blood sugars still in the 200-400 range at times and fasting blood sugars never below 200 range. Now, my fasting blood sugars are 120-140 range and my insulin has been decreased to 50 units of Levemir and 30 units of Novolog. So, doctor has increased the Invokana to 300 mg..Hoping to be off Insulin soon. Oh, and I have lost 6 pounds in the process. The key to this medication is to DRINK plenty of water to stay hydrated, have your kidney functions checked at least twice a year and monitor for any side effects.”

Eevee May 31, 2013

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Very happy with this new medicine. Seems to control my blood sugar better than other medications. I also take 2000mg of Glucophage a day and 100mg of the Invokana. After the first month, the maintenance dosage is 300mg once a day. Been on this medication for 3 weeks now. I have already lost 5 pounds! Urination is more frequent during the day though. Make sure you drink lots of fluids to prevent dehydration. I did notice some acne to show up on my face. Not sure if this is a side effect or not? Other than that, this is a miracle! Controlled blood sugars and weight loss! The first year is only $5.00 a month with the prescription card the Manufacturer gives you.”

Nikki4046 May 6, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I am a 39 year old female who has had type two diabeties for for 15 years. My last A1c was 10.5. My doctor put me on Invokana and I havent had a blood sugar reading above 200 since I started the 100mg. I have just increased to 300. I did my research on this drug because I am very suseptable to yeast infections. Do your research. First you MUST drink plenty of water on this medication or you will feel ill. For women take a probiotic I take one and this has kept the yeast away. Also you can try Oil of Oregano to help. I haven't had my A1C checked yet as I have only been on this medication for one month. Ask your doctor for the prescription savings card which will bring your price to ZERO.”

Arabic male August 17, 2014

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I've been taking Invokana for 6 months, in addition to Metformin and Januvia. It did help me a little losing weight, but it definitely did help my daily blood sugar levels from 250 to 125 or less in the morning. I think it is really good and I'm glad my doctor prescribed it to me.”

Dano66 July 18, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Been on invokana 300mg once a day, taken prior to breakfast, for 8 weeks, third box starts today, slight burning around head of penis week 1&2 wash more. Gone. Thirst all day ,most drink a lot upward of 6-8 bottles per day, peeing a lot 9 times a day. Good thing as you most flush kidneys , weight loss, wow. Lost 31 pounds in 8 weeks and yes that without exercise or change in diet , not sure if that's all good but wow A1c. 10.9- 8.0 down to 7.5-6.2 on average. Still tired lot around 2pm afternoon . Age 52”

Hair falling out!!!!!! September 8, 2014

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I was prescribed Invokana for high glucose (Prediabetes), not diabetic yet. I have been on the medicine a little over a month. I developed a yeast infection and my hair is shedding a lot--handfuls at a time. Dermatologist said it would shed for up to 10 more weeks. What a horrible side effect that is not mentioned anywhere! I stopped taking the medicine.”

Mols April 22, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I take metformin (1000 twice a day) and have been on Invokana 300 for 3.5 months. In the first two months on Invokana, lost 14 lbs and A1C dropped from 10.5 to 7.1. In the last 6 weeks, lost another 8 lbs (now under 200 lbs for the first time in years) and can't wait to see my next A1C! Haven't had any of the serious side effects described by others, no yeast infections. Definitely thirsty and frequent urination but absolutely worth it for the weight loss and the way I'm feeling. My appetite has decreased and my energy level has significantly increased. I swam 11 miles this week! This medication has completely changed my life and I appreciate the 12 months of free medication coupon.”

DanielStarTrek · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 27, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Was having a very difficult time controlling my blood sugar. My A1C reached 9.1 and I was hospitalized for three days, then sent to an endocrinologist. He put me on Victoza 1.8ML once a day and an Invokana 300MG once a day. Within 2 three months I was at 5.9 A1C and average 110 blood sugar. I have lost close to 40 lbs. There have been some side effects, constipation, cramping, and thirst. These have all faded and become less extreme after being on the combo for just over 6 months. I would never change this medication. It truly has changed my life. Had to change insurance this year and it was a battle to get the Invokana approved but they relented. Thank goodness. FYI I have taken, Glipizide, Glimerpride, Metformin, Actos and Insulin.”

Cubsfan90 · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 10, 2014

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I have been on Invokana since September 2013, so a little over a year. I have experienced hair loss, tiredness, and yeast infections. I talked to my doctor about the hair loss, which I experienced for over a year. He has upped my Metformin to the maximum dosage. My hair has stopped falling out. I am also using Rosemary essential oil to help with hair loss, and probiotics for the yeast infection. I have had amazing results with this medication in regards to blood sugar control. My A1C went from 12.3 to 7.1 I have never had such control. As a benefit I have lost over the course of a year 34 pounds. I feel that the benefits outweigh the side effects”

Ava D · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 4, 2014

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I've been taking this medication for almost 2 months now and had to stop. It does help lower my blood sugar, I continued taking Metformin with it. However it also causes the worst feelings of genital irritation. I ended up taking Fluconazole twice, which helped but is not a permanent fix. Each time I tried to avoid having to take the antifungal so was desperate by the time I got it. This Invokana med caused my urine to burn me, and made me extremely uncomfortable. I stopped it and called my doc for something else. Gonna try Victoza now. By the way if you do want to try it, ask for the coupon, it gives the first 90 days free.”

palm harbor · Taken for less than 1 month February 12, 2014

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Was diagnosed in 1998 with type II diabetes, went from one medicine to another until none of them worked. Told by my Endocrinoligist that I must now start insulin 4 X a day....worked for a few months then after about 10 months it did not lower blood sugar. Started this medicine about 3 weeks ago and the results have been super. ONLY inject long lasting insulin at night only. Blood sugar numbers are now normal or just above normal. LOVE THIS MEDICATION!”

Danlsyo · Taken for less than 1 month November 10, 2013

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I was prescribed Invokana in combination with metformin. I have been itching ever since and my hair is falling out to the point where I am scared to comb my hair. I stopped taking both medications. It has been a little over a month and my hair is still falling out. Is anyone else experiencing any hair loss?”

Diabetic for 20 years · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 9, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I have been type 2 diabetic for 20 years- tried the diet and exercise then the metformins (never helped) went on lantus insulin and a1c gradually just kept going up and was up to 70 units of insulin and janumet 2x daily. Dr said to either try invokana or insulin shots multiple times a day. Gave it a try- the most horrible yeast infections ever but lost 6lbs in 10 days - decided to stick with it and now almost a year later lost 35 lbs and feel great and a1c is down to 6 and I dropped my insulin down to 25 units! I love this drug! I stuck through the yeast infections and now that the sugar levels is down- I don't get the infections as often! I am thinner than I was in high school!”

Friggint · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 9, 2013

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Been on Invokana for 3-4 months. Lower blood sugar numbers, I've lowered my Lantus as a result and have lost 10 lbs. The weight lost is not instant, so to those who have been on it for a week and haven't lost weight, give it another week or so and the weight will start to come off. Do not have the dry mouth issue, do have the yeast infection issue, but have had that for a while now. Great medicine.”

rosie10 January 1, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: “After 24 years as an insulin dependant diabetic my specialist put me on Invokana and it has CHANGED MY LIFE! My insulin intake (Humalog and Lantis) is less than 50%, My A1C is much better and in 7 months I have lost 30 pounds. My sugar cravings are completely gone, I feel fantastic and I just love this medication! It does not make you feel strange at all and it really WORKS! I have recommended this medication to other friends and they also love it! I am actually shocked to see others commenting negatively on this.”