User Reviews for Invokana

Learn more about Invokana.

Diabetes, Type 2 191 reviews 141 medications

6.5
Summary of Invokana reviews 191 reviews 6.5

Reviews for Invokana

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Invokana has worked fabulous for me - I've been on it 10 months and it has lowered my A1C by 1.5 and have lost weight. For those of you having yeast infections -- Take an Iron Supplement. I began to get yeast infection -- upped my iron supplement and it went away and has stayed away. My doctor is now switching me from Invokana to something else due to a recent "warning" on kidney failure. It was enough to concern her -- even though I have no symptoms. I am reluctant to switch since the Invokana has worked so well. Just take the iron and it should level out and stop the yeast issues."

Rockne1 June 14, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Took Invokana about 9 months. Glucose numbers were great. Started getting horrible yeast infection. It would not go away even with prescription medication. The itching started vaginal and anus area. I was miserable. No type medication would eradicate the itching. Infection got so bad my good white blood count cells could not fight off the infection in my body. Started feeling weak, extremely thirsty, eating so much ice my ice machine could not keep up with me. Started coughing a lot, short of breath, anemic. body aches, dry hair and skin, plus I still had the yeast smell. Had blood test performed at local hospital. White count cells was 247 thousand, normal is 10 thousand. Diagnosis Cancer Chronic Mylogenous Leukemia, my blood got infected."

JSgausa (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 29, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2 "DON'T TAKE IT!!! I was on Invokana for one month. It made all of my body fluids stink and the really gross part was that, since my saliva smelled the same as my urine, my mouth tasted the way my urine smelled. Perhaps I could have learned to live with that but it helped not at all so I quit taking it. Now two, months later, that awful smell and taste is still in my urine and mouth. I fear something is terribly wrong. It should be totally out of my system now but it, clearly, is not. I have made an appointment to see my doctor. This medication is not okay! DON'T TAKE IT!!!"

SparkyReet (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 24, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Have been on Invokana/Metformin (Invokamet) for less than a week and my experience has been terrible. I expected to have to urinate more but I am experiencing an insatiable thirst with the need to urinate almost hourly which is extremely disruptive to daily activities. Even after less than a week on the medication I am having constant genital itching. But the final straw for me was an exacerbation of my neuropathy. My legs from the knee down burn so severely that I cannot sleep. I am done with this and have decided to stop taking it completely. If this is working for you that's great but I just cannot tolerate the side effects."

TnDave (taken for less than 1 month) May 22, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2 "At first I liked it. My Endocrinologist was waiting for it to be approved and available, so put me on it once it was. It lowered my Blood Sugar and my Blood Pressure. I did not lose weight as some do (which I suspect is mostly water weight from urinating more). I had to stop my blood pressure medicine because I felt I was bottoming out with both meds (Invokana was lowering my blood pressure too). But now that I have been taking Invokana, since it was available, I just recently stopped it due to not being able to handle the side effects anymore. I feel so FATIQUED ALL the time. My muscles ache once I get to the top of my stairs. I am out of breath and feel like I have run a marathon. My chest would feel tight and just felt faint all the time when doing anything! Add life's stresses (job) to that, and it made me so miserable!! And, I have been working out 4 days a week since Jan!! It is so frustrating. I am also on week 4 of a nothing but veggie and some fruit smoothies (no meat, wheat, and only dairy is whole fat Greek yogurt). So I figured since I was having to watch my blood sugars more closely, since they were lower with this new eating plan, now was a good time to quit the Invokana. I am hoping within a week I might feel like my old self again. Due to doing EVERYTHING I can to HELP my Diabetes, and I still felt bad, I knew it had to be my Invokana. The only other med I take is Lantis SolarStar. I started to get worried about long term effects of Invokana, especially since I was doing what anyone with health issues should do (exercise and eat super healthy), and still felt fatigued, I decided to do more research online and have found MANY others with my SAME and worse side effects. Many complain of constant yeast infections (both women and men), hair loss, swelling of lymph nodes to where they did STD tests and cancer screening, shortness of breath, fatigue, urinary tract infections, bladder infections, kidney issues (some really bad). I got scared reading so many many bad reviews. I don't want to end up with major kidney problems!! So I am going to do what every Type II Diabetic should do, and actually EAT HEALTHY and EXERCISE!! We are switching to organic foods and plan to continue drinking these green smoothies for 2 meals a day and have a reasonable dinner. We need to lose weight anyways. That will ensure we get tons of veggies and fruits and so much nutrition that we would otherwise be deficient in. We keep track of all our calories to ensure we get enough protein, and healthy fat etc. I also take some supplements, super foods, and vitamins made with whole food. We are going to stop all soda, sugar, artificial sweeteners, and pre-made and highly processed foods, as best we can...it will be a process, lol. . I am so mad at all that is put in our food, I can't believe it is legal!!. Most chronic type diseases are due to inflammation in the body and what we PUT in our bodies. Healthy in, healthy out. Crap in, crap out. You ARE what you eat. Stop putting chemicals and toxins in your body. Stop eating food that is not raised/cultivated naturally healthy. Eat whole food and "clean" foods. Cure yourself with Nature's Nutrition! Good luck to you all! :D"

Tammy P. (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 17, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2 "In the first week I started getting a yeast infection vaginally. The I started getting it everywhere imaginable. It was so bad that I had to stop using it and take Diflocam (pill) for 3 weeks."

DeeMaries April 8, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I used this for about 6 months 100mg. Then increased to 300mg. A month later I got the side effect of balanitis (irritation on the tip of the penis) This stuff is terrible, and will never think about using it again. Horrible experience."

Klattu April 7, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2 "As of today it has been 260 days since I began Invokana 100mg and d/c 5 insulin shots a day! For the most part I have done exceptionally well with this med. I tried another brands. It was a nightmare. My endocrinologist appeals every few months to get insurance to pay. The difference is a complete turn around from my first diagnosis in in October 2016 on Halloween- no treat and vile trick. I actually started to feel like a real person again. Invokana is my Holy Grail. I can even cheat and still keep A1C at 5. The past few months I have been freaking out since I noticed I was losing my hair. Would I do it all over again? Yes. The hair loss is most concerning. I fear it will not cease. I do not want to go back to 5 shots a day."

eastcoast/lak March 25, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I've been on it for a week...I have a yeast infection and lost ten pounds already"

Brookyprince March 22, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I started taking this medication 5 weeks ago, with average blood sugar control. My first experience after a couple of dosages I passed out. For the past 4 weeks I have had system wide lymph node swelling, fever, skin sensitivity. I have had several cancer tests. I am going off of this HORRIBLE medicine. I have researched and have seen that there are not many like me, but there are at least 3 that have done either the same or had some of the same symptoms. I have almost lost my job due to this medicine, and my health and well-being has been horrible since I have been taking this. For those of you that it works for, great, I am glad it does. Please just be aware of any of the above reactions."

tamibear (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 15, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2 "T2. I have been on Metformin 1000 for several years and with diet and monitoring bs levels have managed well. Recently, I have struggled with numbers and decided to give in to additional help in management of numbers. I started with 10 day sample of Invokana 100 and did well. Felt fine, no real issues of concern. Even thirst and restroom visits didn't really increase. Then started the 300 10 day sample and again no real noticeable issues. Requested prescription and now, 10 days later I can barely stay awake. I have always been a 5-6 hour a day sleeper and now I am so exhausted I could easily sleep 10-12 hours a day. Decided to try splitting the pill to see if anything changes in my sleepiness before requesting to go back to the 100."

Breez-e (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Diabetic for 17 years. On Metformin 2000mg, Sitagliption 50 mg and Glimperide 2 mg. A1C is 6.5. Weight 200 lbs. Started Invokana 100mg last week once daily. Primary reason to start this to see if any weight loss is possible and to eventually stop glimperide and if possible Sitagliptin. No problems so far except a some increase in urine output, which is expected. Hence giving a rating of 5. I will repost after 3 months with any weight loss and A1C numbers. The drug is relatively cheap in India, around $25 for thirty 100 mg tablets that lasts a month."

najarskt (taken for less than 1 month) March 2, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I started this pill yesterday and today I feel like my blood pressure is so low I can't do anything. Any time I stand up I get dizzy. I can't drive anywhere feeling like this. I have had some trouble breathing and clammy, cold sweats and just feel awful. I won't be continuing this medication."

Jill808 February 20, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I started invokana at 100mg, quickly moved to 200mg, then to 300. I've already been taken off it because of HORRIBLE yeast infections that do not go away, even with Diflucan...very raw and painful! I was also taking 1000mg metformin twice a day, plus Lantus - 26 units at bedtime, which is what I'm taking now. I lost 14 pounds with invokana and since stopping have gained about 4 back, but I also quit smoking. I don't relish the idea of gaining weight back, but I'm really trying to watch what I eat. Since stopping invokana, my numbers have actually started coming down."

Speedbump32 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 17, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I've been on Invokana for a month. I take 300mg Invokana & 2000mg Metformin a day. I've lost 12lbs since I started Invokana. The first 2 weeks of taking Invokana I had to go to the bathroom literally every 45 minutes day & night. Now it's every 90 minutes during the day and once while sleeping. I had a horrendous yeast infection. I was constantly thirsty (worse than when I was first diagnosed with diabetes). I'm still thirsty even after drinking 14 to 16- 8 ounce glasses a day throughout the day. Every morning I wake up thirsty. My BG hasn't gone down much, but I haven't been able to exercise in 2 weeks due to a back strain and my eating habits have changed a little, but they still suck. Invokana is probably ok."

Blueyed Jane (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 10, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I am in my 9th month of taking Invokana 100, glypizide 10 mg, and metformin ER, 2/750 mg. My A1C has increased from 5.6 to 7.2, but I have lost 40 pounds! I see here that a lot of people have yeast problems. I had one and immediately started using coconut oil as a moisturizer at least 3x day, and have not had a problem since. This is just the coconut oil that can bought at the grocery store. I put a scoop of it in a smaller container that I keep in the bathroom and use it liberally. My endocrinologist is not happy with my A1C being this high, but my primary doctor is fine with that number. Endocrinologist may put me on insulin, so I don't know if I can take both. I don't want to give up Invokana in fear of gaining the weight back."

Doatie February 7, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2 "NOT If it was the last diabetic drug left on earth! I never had any body pain till I went on to this medication. I had stopped and started it four times. Each time the body pain a lymph nodes were swollen , I was screened for HIV all other STD 4 x in one year as well as cancer screening to see if that is what was causing my lymph nodes to go into overdrive. Nothing was found so every time I took the pill my body would try and fight it. It caused so much, I had 3 yeast infections and it absolutely destroyed all mucous membranes to drastically thin and tear... this is a horrible pill!!!"

Ash473 February 3, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Hello everyone and thank you for sharing your stories. I have been on Invokana for two weeks. After the first day I started to itch. I ran out and brought monistat 7. After that I returned to the doctor a day later and found that I had lost 6 lbs! Since that time I have lost an additional 10 lbs. I know that this will not continue for long but I am excited. I am utilizing myfitnesspal to track my calories, I am eating a well balanced diet. I am adding exercising bit by bit since I have issues with my lungs. I am excited and hopeful that I can soon be off of all medications. I take 2000 of metformin a day, 5 mg of glipizide, and 100mg Invokana everyday. My levels are great now. I did have horrible stomachaches until yesterday."

C. Johnson (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Invokana works best when you drink plenty of water to flush your system. It blocks extra sugar from being absorbed by your body and transfers it to your urine, So, you basically urinate out the extra sugars in your blood. It's also a smart drug, so it will stop being as effective when you are close to normal levels. So you won't drop too low. If you are having a problem with yeast infections, you have to stop eating sugars and carbs. I also highly recommend using virgin coconut oil to treat the yeast infections. Please try this drug, it really works!"

Shadowlady68 (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2017

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2 "My internist has been trying me on various diabetes medications, alone and in combination, over the past 12 plus years to lower my blood sugar levels. For a long time the situation was ultimately with a combination of Januvia 100mg, Glimipiride twice per day, and Metformin 2 500mg tablets twice per day. Initially the combination gave me diarrhea but I also discovered I was lactose intolerant and eventually the problem went away. But gradually within the past few years my 1AC levels slowly started climbing, at one point to 7.8. About 6 months ago he added Trulicity.5 mg ramped up to 1.5mg. Did not improve blood sugar. Did lower weight.Stopped Trulicity. Just started Invokana. Scared of the risks. Am dehydrated and have yeast infection."

AkCounsel January 8, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I've only been known diabetic type 2 for 6 months now. I take Janumet, invokana. The only side effect I have is frequent urination and lots of gas and really lot sounds of digestion. Anyone else?"

GasAlot (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Started with 1000 mg Metformin ( took one pill 4 times a day!) in summer 2015 - bad, bad diarrhea. Changed to 100 mg /day Januvia - only had bad diarrhea - Late summer 2016 started in Invokana - Starting in November I've had 3 yeast infections thru Jan 1, 2017. Also very thirsty - no hair loss - yet! - some leg cramping - painful in the calves of my legs - blood sugar control ok - I used to be 5.0 (for 10 years) on insulin. Then Doc said I'm over 65 so my blood sugarts (A1Cs) should be higher so I don't go low - but in all the years I've entertained diabetes (since 1991) I've never gone low - so I don't understand this concern. Am seeing doc on Jan 9 - have to see where it goes from here - everyone is right about the yeast infections "

kmezz3 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 4, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I have been taking Invokana 100mg for 1 yr No side effects blood sugar 5.2 Lost 60lbs I feel great . I just pee 5x a night"

Lovelylori1 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 3, 2017

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I have been taking invokana for about a year and a half now after taking 1000mg of metformin daily and levemir and humalog daily. The metformin and insulin was not working as well as Dr. wanted it to so I was switched to the extended release metformin 1000mg twice a day and added invokana 100mg. I have since been able to go completely off of the two insulin pens and my sugars have been in normal range. I have lost a little bit of weight but I have developed a horrible itch and yeast infection that will not go away. I was given diflucan a while ago but it didn't help. I have also recently noticed that I have been losing a ton of hair. I literally get handfuls of hair after a shower and am pulling handfuls out of my brush every time I brush."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 21, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2 " I have only been on invokana for a few months. I have had severe yeast infections that keep coming back. I just get rid of one and a week later it's back, its driving me crazy! "

CAN'T TAKE IT (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 19, 2016