User Reviews for Invokana

Learn more about Invokana.

Diabetes, Type 2 184 reviews 140 medications

6.7
Summary of Invokana reviews 184 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Invokana

For Diabetes, Type 2 "As of today it has been 260 days since I began Invokana 100mg and d/c 5 insulin shots a day! For the most part I have done exceptionally well with this med. I tried another brands. It was a nightmare. My endocrinologist appeals every few months to get insurance to pay. The difference is a complete turn around from my first diagnosis in in October 2016 on Halloween- no treat and vile trick. I actually started to feel like a real person again. Invokana is my Holy Grail. I can even cheat and still keep A1C at 5. The past few months I have been freaking out since I noticed I was losing my hair. Would I do it all over again? Yes. The hair loss is most concerning. I fear it will not cease. I do not want to go back to 5 shots a day."

eastcoast/lak March 25, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I've been on it for a week...I have a yeast infection and lost ten pounds already"

Brookyprince March 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I started taking this medication 5 weeks ago, with average blood sugar control. My first experience after a couple of dosages I passed out. For the past 4 weeks I have had system wide lymph node swelling, fever, skin sensitivity. I have had several cancer tests. I am going off of this HORRIBLE medicine. I have researched and have seen that there are not many like me, but there are at least 3 that have done either the same or had some of the same symptoms. I have almost lost my job due to this medicine, and my health and well-being has been horrible since I have been taking this. For those of you that it works for, great, I am glad it does. Please just be aware of any of the above reactions."

tamibear (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 15, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2 "T2. I have been on Metformin 1000 for several years and with diet and monitoring bs levels have managed well. Recently, I have struggled with numbers and decided to give in to additional help in management of numbers. I started with 10 day sample of Invokana 100 and did well. Felt fine, no real issues of concern. Even thirst and restroom visits didn't really increase. Then started the 300 10 day sample and again no real noticeable issues. Requested prescription and now, 10 days later I can barely stay awake. I have always been a 5-6 hour a day sleeper and now I am so exhausted I could easily sleep 10-12 hours a day. Decided to try splitting the pill to see if anything changes in my sleepiness before requesting to go back to the 100."

Breez-e (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Diabetic for 17 years. On Metformin 2000mg, Sitagliption 50 mg and Glimperide 2 mg. A1C is 6.5. Weight 200 lbs. Started Invokana 100mg last week once daily. Primary reason to start this to see if any weight loss is possible and to eventually stop glimperide and if possible Sitagliptin. No problems so far except a some increase in urine output, which is expected. Hence giving a rating of 5. I will repost after 3 months with any weight loss and A1C numbers. The drug is relatively cheap in India, around $25 for thirty 100 mg tablets that lasts a month."

najarskt (taken for less than 1 month) March 2, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I started this pill yesterday and today I feel like my blood pressure is so low I can't do anything. Any time I stand up I get dizzy. I can't drive anywhere feeling like this. I have had some trouble breathing and clammy, cold sweats and just feel awful. I won't be continuing this medication."

Jill808 February 20, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I started invokana at 100mg, quickly moved to 200mg, then to 300. I've already been taken off it because of HORRIBLE yeast infections that do not go away, even with Diflucan...very raw and painful! I was also taking 1000mg metformin twice a day, plus Lantus - 26 units at bedtime, which is what I'm taking now. I lost 14 pounds with invokana and since stopping have gained about 4 back, but I also quit smoking. I don't relish the idea of gaining weight back, but I'm really trying to watch what I eat. Since stopping invokana, my numbers have actually started coming down."

Speedbump32 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 17, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I've been on Invokana for a month. I take 300mg Invokana & 2000mg Metformin a day. I've lost 12lbs since I started Invokana. The first 2 weeks of taking Invokana I had to go to the bathroom literally every 45 minutes day & night. Now it's every 90 minutes during the day and once while sleeping. I had a horrendous yeast infection. I was constantly thirsty (worse than when I was first diagnosed with diabetes). I'm still thirsty even after drinking 14 to 16- 8 ounce glasses a day throughout the day. Every morning I wake up thirsty. My BG hasn't gone down much, but I haven't been able to exercise in 2 weeks due to a back strain and my eating habits have changed a little, but they still suck. Invokana is probably ok."

Blueyed Jane (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 10, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I am in my 9th month of taking Invokana 100, glypizide 10 mg, and metformin ER, 2/750 mg. My A1C has increased from 5.6 to 7.2, but I have lost 40 pounds! I see here that a lot of people have yeast problems. I had one and immediately started using coconut oil as a moisturizer at least 3x day, and have not had a problem since. This is just the coconut oil that can bought at the grocery store. I put a scoop of it in a smaller container that I keep in the bathroom and use it liberally. My endocrinologist is not happy with my A1C being this high, but my primary doctor is fine with that number. Endocrinologist may put me on insulin, so I don't know if I can take both. I don't want to give up Invokana in fear of gaining the weight back."

Doatie February 7, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2 "NOT If it was the last diabetic drug left on earth! I never had any body pain till I went on to this medication. I had stopped and started it four times. Each time the body pain a lymph nodes were swollen , I was screened for HIV all other STD 4 x in one year as well as cancer screening to see if that is what was causing my lymph nodes to go into overdrive. Nothing was found so every time I took the pill my body would try and fight it. It caused so much, I had 3 yeast infections and it absolutely destroyed all mucous membranes to drastically thin and tear... this is a horrible pill!!!"

Ash473 February 3, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Hello everyone and thank you for sharing your stories. I have been on Invokana for two weeks. After the first day I started to itch. I ran out and brought monistat 7. After that I returned to the doctor a day later and found that I had lost 6 lbs! Since that time I have lost an additional 10 lbs. I know that this will not continue for long but I am excited. I am utilizing myfitnesspal to track my calories, I am eating a well balanced diet. I am adding exercising bit by bit since I have issues with my lungs. I am excited and hopeful that I can soon be off of all medications. I take 2000 of metformin a day, 5 mg of glipizide, and 100mg Invokana everyday. My levels are great now. I did have horrible stomachaches until yesterday."

C. Johnson (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Invokana works best when you drink plenty of water to flush your system. It blocks extra sugar from being absorbed by your body and transfers it to your urine, So, you basically urinate out the extra sugars in your blood. It's also a smart drug, so it will stop being as effective when you are close to normal levels. So you won't drop too low. If you are having a problem with yeast infections, you have to stop eating sugars and carbs. I also highly recommend using virgin coconut oil to treat the yeast infections. Please try this drug, it really works!"

Shadowlady68 (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2 "My internist has been trying me on various diabetes medications, alone and in combination, over the past 12 plus years to lower my blood sugar levels. For a long time the situation was ultimately with a combination of Januvia 100mg, Glimipiride twice per day, and Metformin 2 500mg tablets twice per day. Initially the combination gave me diarrhea but I also discovered I was lactose intolerant and eventually the problem went away. But gradually within the past few years my 1AC levels slowly started climbing, at one point to 7.8. About 6 months ago he added Trulicity.5 mg ramped up to 1.5mg. Did not improve blood sugar. Did lower weight.Stopped Trulicity. Just started Invokana. Scared of the risks. Am dehydrated and have yeast infection."

AkCounsel January 8, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I've only been known diabetic type 2 for 6 months now. I take Janumet, invokana. The only side effect I have is frequent urination and lots of gas and really lot sounds of digestion. Anyone else?"

GasAlot (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Started with 1000 mg Metformin ( took one pill 4 times a day!) in summer 2015 - bad, bad diarrhea. Changed to 100 mg /day Januvia - only had bad diarrhea - Late summer 2016 started in Invokana - Starting in November I've had 3 yeast infections thru Jan 1, 2017. Also very thirsty - no hair loss - yet! - some leg cramping - painful in the calves of my legs - blood sugar control ok - I used to be 5.0 (for 10 years) on insulin. Then Doc said I'm over 65 so my blood sugarts (A1Cs) should be higher so I don't go low - but in all the years I've entertained diabetes (since 1991) I've never gone low - so I don't understand this concern. Am seeing doc on Jan 9 - have to see where it goes from here - everyone is right about the yeast infections "

kmezz3 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 4, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I have been taking Invokana 100mg for 1 yr No side effects blood sugar 5.2 Lost 60lbs I feel great . I just pee 5x a night"

Lovelylori1 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 3, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I have been taking invokana for about a year and a half now after taking 1000mg of metformin daily and levemir and humalog daily. The metformin and insulin was not working as well as Dr. wanted it to so I was switched to the extended release metformin 1000mg twice a day and added invokana 100mg. I have since been able to go completely off of the two insulin pens and my sugars have been in normal range. I have lost a little bit of weight but I have developed a horrible itch and yeast infection that will not go away. I was given diflucan a while ago but it didn't help. I have also recently noticed that I have been losing a ton of hair. I literally get handfuls of hair after a shower and am pulling handfuls out of my brush every time I brush."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 21, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2 " I have only been on invokana for a few months. I have had severe yeast infections that keep coming back. I just get rid of one and a week later it's back, its driving me crazy! "

CAN'T TAKE IT (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 19, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Invokana 100 mg daily in addition to Metformin took my blood sugar levels way down..never over 150s range. . lost weight without trying. .main side effect was constant urination. .about every hour..great med other than that"

granLyn December 14, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I loved Invokanamet, my A1C went from 9.3 to 7.2 and my blood sugars never went over 120 fasting or after meals. But the the yeast infections made me go insane. They lasted about 2-3 weeks and I got one every month! I wanted to die it was so unbearable. I also woke up feeling like I was stranded in the desert for days every morning but that wasn't too bad. DR switched to Januvia over 3 weeks ago and my blood sugars went from 120 to 350! Going back to the doctor on Thursday to try something else, if i could take hold of the YI i'd never get off Invokanamet"

Melissa Pz November 29, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2 "med helped control blood sugars a little but with awful side effects. Was taking 100mg never increased to the reco300mg couldn't do it as I felt so aweful on the 100mg. Side effects were extreme tiredness and thirst, nauseous, increase in HDL and triglycerides, after a few months started loosing my hair probably lost 50% volume and getting terrible leg cramps in calves at night would wake me up several times each and every night, severe stabbing pains mid/lower back and the brain fog was terrible. Quit drug!! Spoke to pharmacist he had multiple people coming in saying "get me off this drug it's killing me"- which is how I felt! Drug company paid for the drug even though my insurance would have paid for it-pharmacist thought this was odd."

Igotutwo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 7, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2 "extremely effective in lowering glucose and also blood pressure...however, likely due to dehydration, despite attempting Best to keep hydrated, drinking water frequently. Biggest side effect, after 2 weeks on medicine, had a constant brain fog, consistently felt foggy, head was not clear, was difficult to perform any action...also felt very weak....100 mg dosage 1x/ day...took about 2 days being off medication return to normal head function, could not stay on medicine"

Chris k November 5, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Put on meds 300mgs summer of 2016 after being on 100mgs Januvia since 2007. Have all the side affects, I told doctor who said it's normal. Do have kidney disease that WWE monitor. Issue is I'm feel like I'm going crazy brain fog, very very tired, anxiety high, don't trust my judgement, my ocd has come back big time, know what I'm thinking about just can't think of the right words, know what I wanna say but comes out different, paranoid,insomnia, I sleep about 12 hrs a day, don't have energy hot flashes,use to be very active person. Don't want to do anything or be bothered by anyone my life has really been altered, was just wondering if anyone else experienced this too."

Anonymous November 2, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I took Metformin 1000 mgs b.i.d. with no glucose control, added in Januvia 50 mgs 1 qd and STILL no glucose control and A1c sucked big time. Now have added in 300 mgs of Invokana 1 qd and my glucose has dropped from 450+ to 110-120 and my A1c is down from 9.7 to 6.2! Severe hair loss and leg and hand cramping but I am ALIVE!!"

Clockmakers Wife (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 1, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Started off on this drug August 2 of this year at 100mg. Within 10 days was being treated for severe dehydration. Increased fluid intake and dosage was upped to 300mg. Now in October, glucose numbers are down to normal, have lost 38 lbs, but side effects are unbearable. Severe itching, leg and hand cramps all night long and yeast infections are too frequent. Tired all the time. I agree it works, but at what cost?? Miserable diabetic!! I'm not going to take it anymore. I'm done fighting!!"

Granmurray (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 19, 2016