User Reviews for Invokana

Diabetes, Type 2
6.2

Summary of Invokana reviews 6.2 228 reviews

Reviews for Invokana

For Diabetes, Type 2 "My Doctor put me on Invokana . I took two tablets Saturday and Sunday) and ended up in Intensive Care with acute kidney failure on the Tuesday. My A & E Consultant said I was the sickest person in the hospital that night and my family were told I might not make it. Thankfully after 6 hours on dialysis and over a week in ICU I survived. Please be aware of the side effects of this drug !!!!!"

REDMAN (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2 "So my doctors put me on Invokana to bring down my sugars as I have always been in the 200 plus morning and night. Well it worked to drop my sugar. But now I am tired, and on edge (nerves) feels like anxiety - something I cannot handle. Though my blood sugar dropped I cannot handle this."

Chestnutter (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2 "New to Invokana. Started May 16. I'm on 100 mg. I'm on here to read everyones comments and suggestions. Thanks for the info."

Ame (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2 "My A1c was slightly high at 5.9 so my doctor gave had me start one pill a day. It did the trick after a year and I have normal reading. While on it I developed numbness in my feet and hands. And itchy vagina but no yeast infections. It was causing me extreme lows at 50 and 60 so my Dr took me off. Now my levels are fine but with no changes in my diet ( I am on a very strict no carbs high protein diet) I gained 15 lbs in a month. Feet still numb and I cannot figure out why I am gaining weight. Wish never was put on it."

Lorie (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 9, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I've been taking Invokana just over a year, and I did experience a couple of yeast infections when I first started my medication, but my system seems to accept it and I have not had any other issue with with it. I guess I'm fortunate that its this medication is working for me."

Margo (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 5, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Invokana has been an awesome weight loss drug. I have had no issues with yeast infections. However, I have developed horrible vertigo, to the point that the ER that I work in, thought I was having a stroke. I have also suffered with memory loss (not sure if that is the drug or my age). My doctor would not accept that the vertigo was medicine related. The vertigo started 4 days after taking the medication and has continued for the 6 weeks that I have been on Invokana. Finally, my doctor was out of town. and so talked to the doctor on call...who agreed that it was suspicious coincidence and he stated that I needed to stop the Invokana ASAP. I am anxious to see what the next few days will bring."

navymomj (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 26, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I just started taking Invokana this week. I snapped at work and was so upset, ridiculously upset. No one has ever seen me like that before (in 7 years). They were all so concerned, and I just kept telling them to leave me alone. I'm never like that. I almost left the building. I'm not waiting around for the yeast infections, kidney problems of worse. Anyone else had a reaction like this?"

Michelle (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Blood glucose actually went up by an average of 9 points while on Invokana and I developed tinnitus in both ears. Also developed a patch of eczema which I've never had before. After about 6 weeks on it and experiencing the tinnitus I have taken my self off of it. Currently with no intervention my blood glucose is down 8 points on average for 12 days. Tinnitus has improved but still there. I still have 2 months supply of this very expensive drug but am hesitant to begin taking it again. Experienced a similar rise in blood glucose with Januvia several years ago."

Kay (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 18, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I started invokana 2 days ago. The first day I thought ok not bad, but the second day the pain in the chest started for a short time. The vaginal itching started I also had lower back pain in the kidney area. Later the second day my jaw started to hurt and my ear, side of neck and tonsils started to swell. When I woke up the third day I thought I am not taking this anymore. I called and spoke to the pharmacist and they told me to stop taking it. I’m glad I did since I took an antihistamine and the swelling came down to where I could eat without pain. I will never take this drug or any other drug that has these severe side effects. I will not let the doctor convince me into trying it again."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I've been on Invokana 100 mg a day for a year, with other meds that I started taking much earlier (I was diagnosed in 2000), along with 2000 mg Metformin, and some other diabetes meds. I don't take insulin. My blood sugar is low; A1C is 6.4, in two consecutive measurements 3 months apart. My blood pressure is exemplary: 140 / 67 to 144 / 73. Approx. I lost ten lbs on the first six months on Invokana, was rapturously happy. Found a new girlfriend, too. My arthritic pain increased -- I don't know if it's due to Invokana, but I suffer a great deal. Can't climb stairs, and can't go down stairs either. I noticed I need to wash the tip of my penis after each ejaculation, otherwise a painful rash develops. (Comparable to yeast infection in women on Invokana.) Much to my chagrin, I stopped losing weight about half a year ago, and now I am gaining again. I was for a long time on a lot-of-chocolate diet after starting Invokana. Did not make a dent in my readings, but now it shows."

LondonOntario March 16, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Lower bp great. Feet feel tighter (neuropathy) Gums hurt bad like an infection Headaches Was good at first, but after about a month issues started. Doing blood test and going to stop meds to see if everything goes back to normal again."

Scotty B (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 8, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Initially, steadily lost weight and felt good. Increased thirst so drinking more, thus urinating more. Then genital itching began, slight and tolerable. After 4 months, my gums became sensitive. Itching increased in genital area and after trying to tolerate it for 8 months, developed excoriation with bleeding in vulvar area. I have been off of this medication for several weeks now. Two rounds of diflucan later, still trying to get excoriations to completely heal. Even got yeast in my belly button. A1C did go down a full point and the weight loss is great, but the side effects are horrible. My gums are still a mess. I never had gum disease before and have been diabetic for well over 11 years. I cannot find much information about the gum problems...anyone else have this problem? Hope I can get it under control, it is miserable."

Char (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 1, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Although this med did lower my blood sugar I had the secondary condition of a very bad yeast infection developed. I had to eventually be removed from the drug for the yeast problem to clear up totally. Just didn't fit for me."

Sheri B (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 14, 2018

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I had a Dr that tried to force me to take invokana and told him no that I wasn't taking it because it causes kidney and liver damage and coming to find out that the Dr I had went against my orders and faxed the prescription in to the mail order pharmacy who sent it to me and now they refuse to clean my account at the mail order pharmacy"

william darrell floyd December 19, 2017

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I'm a 47 year old type 2 diabetic for over 20 years. Have been on most insulin’s after the pills stopped working for me. Then dropped a huge amount of weight so I was taken off all meds. Now gained 45lb and A1C in the 10’s. In the past two years. I’ve tried Januvia, not a lot of side effects but didn’t lower my sugars. So I was put on Invokana. Worked good for maybe two months on lowering my sugars but the side effects were quite bothersome. Especially the longer I was on it. Yeast infections bad. Up at night going to the bathroom because of the way the med works, extremely tired, thirsty,dehydration issues if you don’t drink enough and the recent gas,bloating,constipation issues. I couldn’t get enough carbs with my cravings and wt gain! Off the Med and on to Victoza!"

GHLType2 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 10, 2017

For Diabetes, Type 2 "My 78 year old mom we have bin taking her to the doctors for the last 5 months with what we thought was or doctors thought were UTI's no its yeast, no its bladder, no just lots of sugar in the urine but she's not eating sugar. Yesterday the doctor called me to say stop giving her Invokana she was urinating every 10 min and so called infections she's had for 5 months couldn't believe it. No body could figure it out I told them she's dehydrated he looked at her today and said yes .This was yesterday"

Kosic1 November 30, 2017

For Diabetes, Type 2 "It's this simple... Invokana was great at reducing my glucose and ultimately my A1C. The problem I had was the extreme vaginal itching. I told my doctor, my gynecologist and they constantly blamed my diabetes. But I questioned how could that be if it was controlled. I researched invokana realized that vaginal itching was a side effect and stopped using the invokana. The itching started to subside then eventually went away all together. The Doctor who prescribed it should have said something when I told her my symptoms. She didn't even question my decision to stop using it."

MzDee38 November 27, 2017

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Took 100 mg Invokana for three weeks and blood sugar readings dropped dramatically even after reducing insulin dosage. Then feet started a "burning" feeling and shooting pains in my right foot. This persisted for 3 days and I decided I didn't want to think about potential lose of my feet. Life moves on with one less concern."

AlSeev November 11, 2017

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I took this drug for 6 days. On the third day my sugar dropped to 60. On the sixth day it did it again - hypoglycaemic.. take at your own risk!! very bad drug"

Anonymous November 9, 2017

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Invokana brought my blood sugar down to between 160 & 245 (not much of a drop however), gave me a constant, excruciating UTI and yeast infections, and did my liver a lot of harm during the 2 months I took it"

BS Drug (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 8, 2017

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I have been on Invokana for 9 months. The first few months, I saw my skin darkening. I stopped the medication for a month and my skin tone cleared. However, Invokana brought my A1C down from a 10 to 8. So, I resumed the medication. But, after two or three weeks of resuming the medication, I noticed a decreased sensation in my genital area. Although, I can achieve orgasm, sensitivity is decreased. In addition, I feel tingling sensation and numbness in my fingers and toes. I am definitely coming off of Invokana. NO MORE!!!"

Anonymous October 3, 2017

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I've been diagnosed type 2 since 1995. I'm extremely insulin resistent, and had Invokana added to my list of meds in early 2016. Started at 100 mg, then was upped to 300 mg. My A1c had been running in the lower to mid 7's (7.2-7.5) range. Adding Invokana A1c dropped to high 6's (6.6-6.9). Not a huge drop but I'll take anything under 7.0. During the first year I did have to urinate during the day almost every hour, and because of that had an increased thirst. Now it has slacked off to pretty much normal. I take 300 mg Invokana, on top of 1000 mg Metformin twice a day, 4 mg Glimepiride twice a day, 5 mg, Tradjenta once a day, @30-40 units of Apidra fast acting insulin depending on meals, and then 40 units of Basaglar slow acting insulin."

cjones2222 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 27, 2017

For Diabetes, Type 2 "I've had T2 for over 10 years. A1Cs increased to 7.1 from 6.2 while on janumet 50/1000 2x/day. Dr put me on invokana 200mg 2x day. Fasting dropped after 2 weeks to 120. Drinking lots of water which has prevented yeast infections. I was concerned about the black box warnings and amputations. Now in 7th month and my right is so achy.. My dr reassured me that that this drug is safe. He also stated that his "drug rep" confirmed that clinical trials must include amputations from auto accidents unrelated to the medication. Yes my Dr really said that . Going to stop invokana and changing doctors. Good luck guys!"

Hillary85008 August 30, 2017

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Have been type 2 for ten years. Janumet and glipizide controlled the A1C IF I behaved with eating. A1C went up and doctor said Invokana. I didn't like the idea of what it does - because of what I read, but doc assured me she had many many patients on it with no problems. Tried the 100mg / day for three months. Didn't notice anything at first. Until now, I realized I had depression coming back after over 20 years on Paxil, exhausted all the time, gastrointestinal pains similar to diverticulitis, and blood review shows almost nothing (A1C 7.5 down to 7.3) BUT cholesterol went way up! I've had no cholesterol issues for many years on a statin. I really think that this class of drug is "wishful thinking" on the part of the drug company. BAD"

cat fan 2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 15, 2017

For Diabetes, Type 2 "Been on Invokana for two years. Also on Metformin and Lantus. Earlier on, I was on Metformin and Diamicron (Gliclazide), still couldn't get my blood sugar numbers to where I needed them, so my doctor added Lantus to the mix. A year later, blood sugar levels were great, but I had gained enough weight to go up two waist sizes. (Before the Lantus, my weight held steady.) Changed from Diamicron to Invokana, blood sugar numbers still good (A1C 5.8), and it took four months to lose the two waist sizes I gained. I am still losing weight, and have been able to reduce my nightly insulin dose by about 10%. No other side effects (e.g. no UTI's), kidneys are fine (my doctor includes that in the lab work). This medication has been a godsend."

Xenon 62 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 14, 2017