User Reviews for Invokana (Page 2)

Invokana has an average rating of 5.9 out of 10 from a total of 253 ratings on Drugs.com. 48% of those users who reviewed Invokana reported a positive effect, while 33% reported a negative effect.

Diabetes, Type 2
5.9
Summary of Invokana reviews 5.9 253 reviews

Reviews for Invokana

Friggint · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 9, 2013

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Been on Invokana for 3-4 months. Lower blood sugar numbers, I've lowered my Lantus as a result and have lost 10 lbs. The weight lost is not instant, so to those who have been on it for a week and haven't lost weight, give it another week or so and the weight will start to come off. Do not have the dry mouth issue, do have the yeast infection issue, but have had that for a while now. Great medicine.”

rosie10 January 1, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: “After 24 years as an insulin dependant diabetic my specialist put me on Invokana and it has CHANGED MY LIFE! My insulin intake (Humalog and Lantis) is less than 50%, My A1C is much better and in 7 months I have lost 30 pounds. My sugar cravings are completely gone, I feel fantastic and I just love this medication! It does not make you feel strange at all and it really WORKS! I have recommended this medication to other friends and they also love it! I am actually shocked to see others commenting negatively on this.”

4sue · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 2, 2013

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I've had Type 2 diabetes since 1990 from pregnancy. I've been on the pills, insulin, insulin pump. Before getting on this medication I was on 100 units of Lantus and 60 of Humalog. A1C has been as high as 9.6. On my last appointment before getting on this medication my A1c was 8.6. In 3 -4 months I've lost 20 pounds, more energy, fasting between 90-130. I'm only on Lantus 52 units now. The best thing is my A1C went down to 7.6 which had not been that low for 9 years. Double my water intake. Yeast infection a couple of times but none since. This has been a life saver for me.”

Redheaded Sugar junkie September 14, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Was on Metformin 1000 / 2x day and 70 insulin Lantis. Started Invokana and immediately lost 5 lbs. After a few months on same dose, have lost about 15 lbs. Yes, I admit there are some side effects, such as frequent urination and some yeast issues. However, this is to be expected. Being on this medication, we are told we are to drink over 100 ounces of water every day. I agree and then some. Keeps things flowing, but this is the way it works. No GI issues from this med, however Metformin does cause some GI issues when skipping a dose or two. Remember, too, that this - or any- medication is not for everyone. We need to try different ones to find the one right for our body. I think I have found mine!”

LIz · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 26, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I have type 2 diabetes. I have been on Invokana for about two years. It has been a godsend for me. Before I was having blood sugars in the low 200s and my A1C at it's highest got up to 9.8. On Invokana (along with glypizide & metformin), my A1C numbers have been in the mid to low 6 range. I have had absolutely no side effects. I have also lost 32 pounds, although I have been on a low-carb diet, which probably contributed to the weight loss also.”

caring sis June 30, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: “My brother was prescribed Invokana almost three years and developed a cancerous tumor in his kidney. it was a very complicated surgery because of where the tumor was located and because of that the entire kidney had to be removed. he was taking 300 mg. upon diagnosis the surgeons instructed my brother to stop the medication immediately. my brother never had any kidney problems in his whole life. let this be a warning.”

Nals102 March 25, 2014

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Went on Invokana last year. Never lost weight but my readings were phenomenal. HbA1c went from 7.3 to 6.2. I have to go off of it now because it has caused an extreme yeast infection I've had since last November. ”

Me Happy February 25, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I've been on Invokana for about 6.5 weeks and I am totally impressed. I need to loose weight and with my use of Insulin it was impossible to loose weight as Insulin will cause you to gain belly fat. I also take Metformin HCL ER slow release switched to that 2 years ago because regular Metform caused diarrhea. So far in the 6 weeks since I started I have lost 16 to 17 pounds. I've had to order new clothes as everything is feeling like a sack. I still take Metformin HCL ER, Glimepride and Insulin but have cut my daily use of Lantus by more than half. Yes I drink a lot of water as it's important to avoid dehydration. Yes I can get a yeast infection and find that if I use vasaline on my little toot toot that it prevents the infection.”

darkchocolit · Taken for less than 1 month September 5, 2013

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I just started taking Invokana exactly 2 weeks ago, I have lost 4 lbs so far (great). My fasting sugars went from 274 down to 206 (nice improvement so far). I still need to get them under 100 though and I feel the longer I take this medication - the more improvement I will see. The only side effect so far is the frequent urination which is caused by the dehydration. This makes me drink more water of course - but since that is the only issue I have I really can't complain. I personally think this new medication is a "winner".”

ms_pinck · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 27, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Within 6 months of starting Invokana my husband almost died from taking this drug. He was hospitalized with a sugar level of 833 and a ketoacidosis diagnosis. 6 days later he had the first of 5 operations for genital gangrene. His urological surgeon said he had only a 30% chance to survive. After 111 days in the hospital he needed home health care for 5 more months. He now is in 3rd stage kidney failure when there was no kidney disease before the Invokana. It will take at least 10 to 15 years to pay the medical bills that insurance did not pay. Every SGLT2 inhibitor, like Invokana, could do this to you! DO NOT TAKE ANY SGLT2 INHIBITOR!!”

bratysteffers November 6, 2013

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I have been taking this medication for almost 2 weeks. I was lucky to be reffered to an endodcrinologist who prescribed it to go with Metformin, glipizide and tradjenta meds. It's working wonders!! My readings have gone from 300's to 115 after lunch etc. I was also referred to a dietician so I've been keeping track of my meals and watching my carbs I've lost 7 lbs since I started the meds 2 weeks ago! Love, love, love this med. Can't wait to see if my A1C had dropped, at last check before I started the meds it was at 9.8%.”

andrewsgal June 21, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: “i've been on Invokana for two years. I never lost weight on it, however, my A1c had finally gone to normal after 20 yrs of being a diabetic. However, I had to stop taking it today after I put two and two together the symptoms I am having. Hair loss; severe muscle and joint pain; severe muscle cramps and contractions of legs at night that I would literally cry and hands cramping and contracting day and night; frequency and urgency to urinate (I unknowingly pee'd in bed several times and pee on myself during the day uncontrollably); brain fog, severe tiredness; constant yeast infection; bladder infections; constant thirst; and eye infections when I never ever had them before. This medication needs to go off the market. Pray for me!”

Jill Lavonne September 12, 2013

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I have been on Invokana two weeks now and I love it, sugars went from 300's to 90's. I feel great exercising again losing weight, but having the vaginal infections I hope as my body adjusts this will go away. Been diabetic since 2009 tried many meds. And this has been the best for me. I would recommend anyone to try it!”

Snydgirl December 1, 2013

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I, too, have had great results with this medication. It's almost too good to be true. Some weight loss, my readings dropped significantly. I now wonder if it is helping my psoriasis. As after many, many years, it has disappeared from my right leg altogether.”

Sudar 67 December 15, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: “My dr just put me on this medicine today. I haven't started taking it yet. After reading all of the comments, I'm kinda afraid to take it. The way she explained it to me, was you HAVE to diet and exercise with it or you will have problems. She gave me a pill for yeast infections and told me that I would be peeing a lot and would need to drink plenty of water to flush out sugar. She said it's basically like peeing sugar which in turn causes the yeast to grow. I think some of you that are having serious issues with yeast, might be trying to eat whatever you want and expecting the pill to take care of it. She said stop eating junk food and let the pill get rid of all of the excess sugar and you won't have to deal with yeast.”

Chefbearsteve · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 24, 2021

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I was on it for a year and a half it actually dropped my A-1 C I was doing pretty good with it. I went in to get my prescription my insurance company said this will be the last time they paid for it then I found out why. There are many people that have lost limbs because of using it there is a lawsuit against the company for it. I kind of look at it as I looked out I only ended up losing two big toes and 12 surgeries on my feet - be careful.”

Jess121178 · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 11, 2021

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I have been on Invokana for 3.5 years. In the beginning I had horrid yeast infections and my PCP had me visit my GYN who put me on a 6 month dose of Diflucan to reset my body's pH and I haven't had issues in years. I also had the muscle cramps and fatigue but realized it was dehydration and resolved it by drinking more water. My last A1C was 5.1 so I asked my PCP if I could go from 300mg to 100mg and 3 agreed to a 3 month trial. I'm starting my 3rd month of 100mg and next month I get my A1C checked and I'm hoping to stay on 100mg. I'm down 110lbs. I'm hoping if all goes well on the 100mg than additional 70lbs down I can go off medication completely.”

Pg · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 21, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Started on Invokana three months ago. Noticed slight headache after taking it, increased urination, lowered A1c. Slowly, over a period of time, two months, I noticed increasing fatigue, weakness. Eventually this affected daily activity, I can’t even begin to describe how exhausted I became. Stopped taking the drug and within two days strength and stamina have begun to increase.”

TAT99 December 26, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I started Invokana three months ago after an A1C of 12. I was nervous but wanted to try it. I luckily didn't have the side effect most have yeast infections. Strange because I'm very prone to them. I did develop a rash, which still comes & goes. Not horrible though- I use a prescription cream, if needed. My A1C after 3 months on Invokana: 6.7! Still high, I know but huge decrease from 12. I also have lost 40 lbs! I take it with Metformin & Glipozide. I also am following low carb diet- most days. But, prior to Invokana, my sugar levels were high w/Metformin & Glipozide & very low carb diet. So, for me it's working. Hoping to get closer to 6 in next 3 months - then under 6 by a year. Plus, so far it's been FREE! Big time plus.”

imnursedavid · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 17, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: “This has worked great for me. I've been on it for 5 months and my A1C is 6.1 (down from 7.2). It is expensive, but if you go to their website, you can sign up for a card that will pay your copay for 1 year (up to $3900). Basically, I get the medication for free for a year.”

Anonymous October 23, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I just got diagnosed with type 2. My doctor prescribed Invokana and metformin from the beginning. My sugars went down to normal by the second week. I am losing so much weight. No side effects yet. Miracle medicine for me”

Carole1959 October 21, 2015

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Been on it about 5 weeks. 300mg. No yeast infections. Yes peeing more, but for me it is a more normal amount. Before I had to force myself to drink, rarely felt real thirst, and always felt I retained water especially from eating carbs. Now I drink more and pee more, but manageable. Once at night only. The best thing I noticed is more energy and slow but sure weight loss on a more normal amount of food. Lost 8lbs so far and waking up in the morning is easier. More energy means more exercise too. So far, so good. Love it, feel more normal like I did when I was younger”

Josh0Q0 · Taken for less than 1 month December 22, 2014

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I have been a diabetic for 10 years, I have been on Metformin 2000mg, sitagliptin 100mg and 80mg gliclazide, my numbers have always been 12mmol after food, 10.5 to 12 mmol always in the morning. 7 days ago I was prescribed Invokana 100mg 1x daily, At first nothing happened 6 days, then since yesterday I was shocked to be honest, as my after meal reading was 6.2mmol, what was most welcome was my am sugars yesterday they were 7.2 mmol and then today they were 7.4mmol (I had a apple crumble) which I never would have before bed! I have just checked my sugar again before my evening meal and it is 7.5mmol, never been this low iin years, I have been drinking 500ml of water every two hours for a long time, even so never seen these numbers.”

gdg · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 10, 2020

For Diabetes, Type 2: “Started this medicine Invokana and I was heading to the bathroom all the time. It worked somewhat on A1c . I had several reactions while on it . Eventually this started the effect where you had to go suddenly and you better be near a bathroom . I had too many real close to accident scenarios where I would just barely make it to the bathroom . Not worth it along with other issues I was having with it . I'm not going to wear adult diapers just to take this horrible medicine.”

Bob · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 20, 2019

For Diabetes, Type 2: “I was originally on 100 mg Invokana for 8 months. A/1C dropped from 8 to 6.8 I had to stop because of fungus infection around the glads of my penis. (un circumsized) Turns out this is very very common due to excess sugar in the urine. I'm now back on Invokana and A/1C has dropped again and my weight is back to where is was before stopping Invokana. Only change this time is more frequent cleaning around the glans and wiping away excess urine. The fungus was the only side effect I had.”