User Reviews for Invokana

Learn more about Invokana.

Invokana Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 163 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2.

Reviews for Invokana to treat Diabetes, Type 2

"Hello everyone and thank you for sharing your stories. I have been on Invokana for two weeks. After the first day I started to itch. I ran out and brought monistat 7. After that I returned to the doctor a day later and found that I had lost 6 lbs! Since that time I have lost an additional 10 lbs. I know that this will not continue for long but I am excited. I am utilizing myfitnesspal to track my calories, I am eating a well balanced diet. I am adding exercising bit by bit since I have issues with my lungs. I am excited and hopeful that I can soon be off of all medications. I take 2000 of metformin a day, 5 mg of glipizide, and 100mg Invokana everyday. My levels are great now. I did have horrible stomachaches until yesterday."

C. Johnson (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2017

"My internist has been trying me on various diabetes medications, alone and in combination, over the past 12 plus years to lower my blood sugar levels. For a long time the situation was ultimately with a combination of Januvia 100mg, Glimipiride twice per day, and Metformin 2 500mg tablets twice per day. Initially the combination gave me diarrhea but I also discovered I was lactose intolerant and eventually the problem went away. But gradually within the past few years my 1AC levels slowly started climbing, at one point to 7.8. About 6 months ago he added Trulicity.5 mg ramped up to 1.5mg. Did not improve blood sugar. Did lower weight.Stopped Trulicity. Just started Invokana. Scared of the risks. Am dehydrated and have yeast infection."

AkCounsel January 8, 2017

"I've only been known diabetic type 2 for 6 months now. I take Janumet, invokana. The only side effect I have is frequent urination and lots of gas and really lot sounds of digestion. Anyone else?"

GasAlot (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2017

"Started with 1000 mg Metformin ( took one pill 4 times a day!) in summer 2015 - bad, bad diarrhea. Changed to 100 mg /day Januvia - only had bad diarrhea - Late summer 2016 started in Invokana - Starting in November I've had 3 yeast infections thru Jan 1, 2017. Also very thirsty - no hair loss - yet! - some leg cramping - painful in the calves of my legs - blood sugar control ok - I used to be 5.0 (for 10 years) on insulin. Then Doc said I'm over 65 so my blood sugarts (A1Cs) should be higher so I don't go low - but in all the years I've entertained diabetes (since 1991) I've never gone low - so I don't understand this concern. Am seeing doc on Jan 9 - have to see where it goes from here - everyone is right about the yeast infections "

kmezz3 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 4, 2017

"I have been taking Invokana 100mg for 1 yr No side effects blood sugar 5.2 Lost 60lbs I feel great . I just pee 5x a night"

Lovelylori1 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 3, 2017

"I have been taking invokana for about a year and a half now after taking 1000mg of metformin daily and levemir and humalog daily. The metformin and insulin was not working as well as Dr. wanted it to so I was switched to the extended release metformin 1000mg twice a day and added invokana 100mg. I have since been able to go completely off of the two insulin pens and my sugars have been in normal range. I have lost a little bit of weight but I have developed a horrible itch and yeast infection that will not go away. I was given diflucan a while ago but it didn't help. I have also recently noticed that I have been losing a ton of hair. I literally get handfuls of hair after a shower and am pulling handfuls out of my brush every time I brush."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 21, 2016

" I have only been on invokana for a few months. I have had severe yeast infections that keep coming back. I just get rid of one and a week later it's back, its driving me crazy! "

CAN'T TAKE IT (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 19, 2016

"Invokana 100 mg daily in addition to Metformin took my blood sugar levels way down..never over 150s range. . lost weight without trying. .main side effect was constant urination. .about every hour..great med other than that"

granLyn December 14, 2016

"I loved Invokanamet, my A1C went from 9.3 to 7.2 and my blood sugars never went over 120 fasting or after meals. But the the yeast infections made me go insane. They lasted about 2-3 weeks and I got one every month! I wanted to die it was so unbearable. I also woke up feeling like I was stranded in the desert for days every morning but that wasn't too bad. DR switched to Januvia over 3 weeks ago and my blood sugars went from 120 to 350! Going back to the doctor on Thursday to try something else, if i could take hold of the YI i'd never get off Invokanamet"

Melissa Pz November 29, 2016

"med helped control blood sugars a little but with awful side effects. Was taking 100mg never increased to the reco300mg couldn't do it as I felt so aweful on the 100mg. Side effects were extreme tiredness and thirst, nauseous, increase in HDL and triglycerides, after a few months started loosing my hair probably lost 50% volume and getting terrible leg cramps in calves at night would wake me up several times each and every night, severe stabbing pains mid/lower back and the brain fog was terrible. Quit drug!! Spoke to pharmacist he had multiple people coming in saying "get me off this drug it's killing me"- which is how I felt! Drug company paid for the drug even though my insurance would have paid for it-pharmacist thought this was odd."

Igotutwo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 7, 2016

"extremely effective in lowering glucose and also blood pressure...however, likely due to dehydration, despite attempting Best to keep hydrated, drinking water frequently. Biggest side effect, after 2 weeks on medicine, had a constant brain fog, consistently felt foggy, head was not clear, was difficult to perform any action...also felt very weak....100 mg dosage 1x/ day...took about 2 days being off medication return to normal head function, could not stay on medicine"

Chris k November 5, 2016

"Put on meds 300mgs summer of 2016 after being on 100mgs Januvia since 2007. Have all the side affects, I told doctor who said it's normal. Do have kidney disease that WWE monitor. Issue is I'm feel like I'm going crazy brain fog, very very tired, anxiety high, don't trust my judgement, my ocd has come back big time, know what I'm thinking about just can't think of the right words, know what I wanna say but comes out different, paranoid,insomnia, I sleep about 12 hrs a day, don't have energy hot flashes,use to be very active person. Don't want to do anything or be bothered by anyone my life has really been altered, was just wondering if anyone else experienced this too."

Anonymous November 2, 2016

"I took Metformin 1000 mgs b.i.d. with no glucose control, added in Januvia 50 mgs 1 qd and STILL no glucose control and A1c sucked big time. Now have added in 300 mgs of Invokana 1 qd and my glucose has dropped from 450+ to 110-120 and my A1c is down from 9.7 to 6.2! Severe hair loss and leg and hand cramping but I am ALIVE!!"

Clockmakers Wife (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 1, 2016

"Started off on this drug August 2 of this year at 100mg. Within 10 days was being treated for severe dehydration. Increased fluid intake and dosage was upped to 300mg. Now in October, glucose numbers are down to normal, have lost 38 lbs, but side effects are unbearable. Severe itching, leg and hand cramps all night long and yeast infections are too frequent. Tired all the time. I agree it works, but at what cost?? Miserable diabetic!! I'm not going to take it anymore. I'm done fighting!!"

Granmurray (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 19, 2016

"I felt good on Invokanamet, my A1c was reduced and I lost weight. My Dr. was pleased. I would have been too if it weren't for the horrible yeast infection that simply would not go away even with several different meds including difluican (sp?) It was so painful and itchy that I could not concentrate on anything other than that. I stopped taking it and went back to glipizide"

AEinPHX (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 10, 2016

"I have been taking Invokana for about 5 months and I feel great!! My a1c went from 9.8 to 7.4 in 3 months. The only side effects I have noticed is some weight loss. But the weight loss stopped. It does make me really thirsty, small price to pay for controlled blood sugar levels."

Alejandro Felix October 9, 2016

"Been on invokana 100 mg for 2 month to treat my type 2 diabetes I also take 2000 mg metformin daily and Trajenta 5 mg I did get a yeast infection and horrible rash on my thighs but cleared with steroid cream yeast infection did settle after 2 weeks my sugar has lowered but still not enough I was 77 kg when starting but with a healthier diet and some excercise I'm now 71 kg the lowest I've been in years I have now been upped dosage to 300 mg bit apprehensive how my body will cope but long term I think it will benefit me as I don't want to be taking insulin ."

Noor21 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 28, 2016

"all the side effects from the seven pages i have these side effects THIS should come off market before you kill a lot of people "

bill home (taken for less than 1 month) September 13, 2016

"I've been on Invokana for almost a year. No problems though I realize that I have to drink water almost constantly. Went from size 18 to size 12, but I cut out a lot of sugar and try to eat more healthy, like watching my carbs."

t.rodgers September 7, 2016

"Severe yeast infections that caused bleeding and the strongest type of medications wouldn't knock it out."

T.Marie (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2016

"At first I had great success. I lost 15 lbs, I no longer needed to use Novorapid and reduced my Lantus. Then my BS started increasing and had to use Novorapid again and increase Lantus. My a1c went from 8.9 to 8.3 in 3 months. Severe yeast infection from the start. My endo increased it to 300 mg. I still take the same dose of Novorapid and Lantus and still have highs. Haven't lost any more weight and yeast infection is so bad I just want to claw someone's eyes out. I'm not sure I want to stay on it."

HersheyNat August 28, 2016

"On it for over two years. Sugar from 300 to normal within three months. So far I think it is a miracle drug. Feel good over all and I am able to eat normal foods."

steel one (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 5, 2016

"My blood sugar's were constantly in the 250 to 300 range. I experienced a burning sensation in my stomach and stomach pain and discomfort constantly. I had extreme thirst. My fluid intake doubled I was drinking approximately 1 1/2 to 2 gallons of fluid a day with frequent urination. Finally my stomach discomfort reached such a high level that I had to stop taking the medication. My blood sugar's were still in the upper 200 and lower 300 range as well so I thought thw medicatio was ineffective as well, and as my side effects were no longer tolerable."

Thawyzard (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2016

"I've been on Invokana for year in a half. At first I did lose weight as I've done with other diabetic medications. That lasted maybe a month and than stopped. I didn't see a significant drop in my A1C and have frequent yeast infection. If I can't get to the pharmacy to pick it up and am without it for a couple of days I get relief from the yeast infection. I'm to the point where I am tired of dealing with having the and will most likely ask my doctor to take me off of it."

tracyn22 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 21, 2016

"Been on Invokana for 2 years now and A1c went from 8.8 to 6.5. Weight loss was the best part of taking this medication. Really no side effects except having to pee more often if I eat too much. Was advised by my doctor to drink more water than usual to avoid yeast infection. So far so good. I hope my insurance continues to cover this medicine."

Moke1204 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 1, 2016