User Reviews for Brivaracetam

Brand names: Briviact

Brivaracetam has an average rating of 5.9 out of 10 from a total of 48 ratings on Drugs.com. 48% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 30% reported a negative experience.

Reviews for Brivaracetam

charlie, · Taken for 1 to 2 years · January 8, 2020

Briviact (brivaracetam) for Epilepsy "I have read all of the review and have epilepsy myself since the age of 2 years old and I am now at age 50. I have had some bad seizeures and have been revived 7 times and have been in studies, and have taken every prescription known to man kind. It seems like people are forgetting one thing - every med, that will stop or partly stop a seizers is a good med, and will improve the quality of our life, even with bad side effects or no side effects it is a good medication. There is no cause or cures for epilepsy even with surgery it will come back at some time in your life trust me. It will, no matter what Dr's say, thats the cold hard truth"

PT · Taken for 1 to 6 months · July 20, 2018

Briviact (brivaracetam) for Seizures "I was prescribed Briviact (am & pm). This replaced Keppra which caused severe mood issues. I have been on Briviact for 3 months. No notable side effects compared to the numerous anti-seizure medications I have taken the past thirty years. Seems to be working. I may still be having partial seizures but no tonic clonic seizures or complex partial seizures. I take it along with Topiramate (am & pm). I'm quite pleased with the Briviact. I know everyone is different but I hope this information is helpful to anyone considering it. Good luck."

Lily · Taken for 1 to 6 months · January 4, 2021

Briviact (brivaracetam) for Seizures "I wish my Dr told me this was a controlled substance. I feel horrible on it and I feel even worse then horrible trying to get off. Tinnitus, depression, anger, irritability, panic attacks, sadness, and now in withdrawal add severe insomnia. I can't wait 2 get off & rest my brain. Keppra worked. This drug is nothing like it for me. And so much harder 2 get off then any other anti- epileptic med I have taken."

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month · March 27, 2021

Briviact (brivaracetam) for Epilepsy "BRIVIACT is a strong, quick onset medication. Within a half-hour after my first dose, I could feel its effects, which were nothing like other AEDs I have tried that make me just a little tired. I’m an easy-going person, so imagine my surprise when, shortly after starting BRIVIACT, I became irritable and overly talkative about situations that normally wouldn’t faze me. A few days into therapy, people expressed concern about how I was being affected. An uncomfortable conversation led me to consult my doctor about mood changes, a new need for naps, and a blister that was forming on the inside of my mouth. Upon receiving more medical advice, I ceased taking BRIVIACT immediately. Withdrawing from BRIVIACT was a long, miserable process. At times, I found myself unusually emotional and on the verge of tears. Besides, I had a headache, tinnitus, achy legs, and my feet felt like they were on fire. Feeling out of sorts, I sleep a lot and tried to recover from an alarming experience."

FloJo · Taken for 1 to 6 months · February 12, 2019

Briviact (brivaracetam) for Epilepsy "I hope this helps! I started Briviact on November 5th, 2018 and it has worked very well... Went from 3 or 4 a month to FULLY CONTROLLED! I am going to be seizure free for 100 days this week for the first time ever in 21 years. I have the VNS on the lowest setting and had a TL Resection Brain Surgery (2015) both could not stop the seizures... The medication Briviact is very strong but it's the only things that worked. I also take Trileptal 1200 mg but want to cut down on that med, if possible. r/epilepsy is a great resource if you want more info..."

Rp303 · August 6, 2020

Briviact (brivaracetam) for Epilepsy "This medication Briviact broke me mentally... I was given it as a newer better option than what I had been on and was told it did not have mood disorders like keppra did I thought great! Less meds! I was phased to a dose of 75mg twice daily over a course of a month, because I am medication resistant (having tried over 10 different types in 10 years). Everything was great until I was on my normal dose (75mg X2)for a week. Then one day snapped. I was crying over everything, angry, tired, suicidal thoughts flooded my head constantly. Panic attacks that got to the point where I collapsed. It feels like my brain is in constant self destruct mode. I had to contact my drs emergency line to know how to stop this medication right away. It has been over a month since stopping. I still don't feel like myself. I still have horrible panic attacks and emotional breakdowns and crazy thoughts. I am working closely with my doctors to get things back to "normal" now."

Jamesie · April 25, 2020

Briviact (brivaracetam) for Seizures "I have been taking Briviact and just want to know if anybody else out there as difficulty in opening bowels also suffer with bad bouts of indigestion issues also suffer with bad headaches, my body started coming out in red rashes on hands , face, legs swelling started this medication November 2019"

Susie · December 31, 2019

Briviact (brivaracetam) for Epilepsy "I first started keppra after having a status event that caused me to be placed in a medical induced coma to stop the seizures. Once I started keppra it worked immediately and stopped all seizure activity. However, after being on it for few months the rage and hostility started and wrecked havoc on my family. So, my doctor had me try briviact which again has worked to control the tonic clonic seizures. However, instead of hostility, rage and total apathy I have begun to experiment extreme sadness/depression I just feel really flat and nothing excites me But, because it controls the tonic clonic seizures- free 35 month now, I will stay with briviact unless sadness etc becomes intolerable Overall 6"

Patient X · Taken for 1 to 6 months · May 21, 2019

Briviact (brivaracetam) for Epilepsy "I've been on a number of anti-epileptic medications over the past 15 years. Keppra gave me severe mood swings. Topamax gave me awful brain fog. Depakote didn't control my seizures and gave my son birth defects. My neurologist recently increased my Lamictal dosage because of a seizure event. That on it's own wasn't sufficient so we added Briviact. I haven't noticed any negative side effects. My seizures seem to be controlled. My tremors have completely stopped (which hasn't happened on ANY med in the past). I'm thrilled. I cannot afford this out of pocket. Medical Assistance through the state pays for it after the doctor proves it is necessary."

Tim · August 23, 2020

Briviact (brivaracetam) for Epilepsy "Briviact is horrible I side effects of high levels of irritation, moody, angry. This medicine is causing kidney issues. I am going to restroom more than I have in my life. It’s causing inflammation. I am only 39 so I am able to tolerate. I heard it’s a new medicine and my doctor experimented with me. I feel terrible on this med. "

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months · September 4, 2021

Briviact (brivaracetam) for Epilepsy "Disabled USMC Veteran with traumatic brain injury, brain tumor, and intractable epilepsy. Briviact had given me 103 days without seizures. No medicine in 20 years has been able to keep me from having a single seizure for this long. Keppra was the last medicine I was on at 3000mg per day and it was horrific. I was a nightmare to my family, my personality was robbed from me on that medicine and it caused awful side effects. I was put ion Briviact 100mg 2X per day after two ER trips within five days of one another for cluster seizure events. I’ve never felt this good on an anticonvulsant and I’ve tried MANY in 2 decades. My personality, appetite, and ability to think clearly have returned. I’m able to live again without fear of dropping multiple times a week as I was having 2 l-4 seizures per week previously. 10/10 would recommend giving this a try."

Bryan · Taken for 1 to 6 months · July 27, 2019

Briviact (brivaracetam) for Epilepsy "Transitioned off keppra 3000mg p/d, to 100 Briviact due to all the side effects becoming extreme. After the same horrible adjustment period of 2 months and one gran mal, I think I have hit on the right med!! Time will tell but it's giving me reason to be more optimistic."

Better? · Taken for 1 to 6 months · June 13, 2020

Briviact (brivaracetam) for Epilepsy "I’ve read about the typical side effects of Briviact. The only effects I seem to have are tiredness/sleepiness during the day and mood swings. For me, the tiredness can be overcome by staying active. Concerning the mood changes....it’s a little unpredictable and can be bad. However, overall Briviact has helped stop my seizures and I like it."

Master TKD · Taken for less than 1 month · August 17, 2020

Briviact (brivaracetam) for Epilepsy "I have only been on this Briviact 3 days. My ears are ringing so loudly I can't hear anything else. My head just feels like it will implode because of the ringing. I want to crush anything that makes a noise with my bare hands."

Tjsnomore · Taken for less than 1 month · October 29, 2017

Briviact (brivaracetam) for Seizures "Took my first 25 mg Briviact pill yesterday morning. Felt fine. Took another 25 mg last night, without problems. So glad to find a good med, finally! Took it again this morning, and I felt ok. Then about 2.5 hours before time to take it again, it was a completely different story I was nervous, irritable, agitated, want to scream my head off, tense, feeling like the incredible Hulk is going to explode out of my body, want to cry, don't talk to me, don't touch me, don't look at me, don't breathe my direction, eyes darting back and forth, and serious drug withdrawal kind of feeling!!! NO!!! I WILL NOT BE TAKING MY NEXT DOSE!!!"

Who · Taken for less than 1 month · July 13, 2021

Briviact (brivaracetam) for Seizures "Been taking Briviact 50 MG 2x daily to for over three weeks now with my Topiramate 150 mg 2x daily. I have a TBI from a trucking accident and this works wonders. I normally have 3-8 mini seizures a day. Or non epileptic. Since taking Briviact only one."

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · February 6, 2020

Briviact (brivaracetam) for Epilepsy "This medicine Briviact has messed my life. I am super irritated, angry, and in depression all the time, crying for no reason and not to mention the skin itching problems that has started and liver problems. I have turned into a negative person, a monster with this medication. I never knew what depression was is in my life until I started Briviact. I switched to it only because I wasn't getting my periods with sodium divalproex , my seizures were always in control with divalproex. Never had depression and was always in good mood . But this medicine has ruined my life since 2018. I have kept on it because I am in a changing career phase and can't switch to new medicine , but as soon as I am settled with my new job, I am stopping this med. How did it get approved even with the side effect of "irritability" and depression on the bottle? Most medicines say that but don't necessarily cause it. I regret why did I switch."

Moo · Taken for 1 to 2 years · September 3, 2019

Briviact (brivaracetam) for Epilepsy "I started this medicine November of 2017. My mood swings are absolutely terrible. I'm always irritated. I feel like the medicine makes it hard for me to focus. I was put on this medicine after having a third brain surgery. I still had seizures for about a year afterwards, then they stopped. I was seizure free from Sept 2018 up until a few weeks ago. I'm now being taken off. My consensus: The drug may be good for some people. However, with people who have medically intractable epilepsy and have tried over 5 drugs such as myself, studies show that there is less than a 1% chance that any other medicines will work either. It was worth a try I suppose, though!"

Joe · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · July 3, 2019

Briviact (brivaracetam) for Epilepsy "Replaced keppra with this drug. Keppra was giving me severe mood swings. I am taking 100mg 2x a day. Seems to work with no side effects observed yet. With manufacturer discount card about 30.00 month with my insurance. Made by same company as Vimpat, Which I also take."

Partial Onset Focal · Taken for 1 to 6 months · October 24, 2017

Briviact (brivaracetam) for Seizures "Starting taking Briviact 200mg March 26, 2017 had my first seizure June 11th less than 3 months after I started using it, gave it another try and had another seizure Oct 20,2017 4 months 9 days from the last one. It does not work as well as Brand Keppra xr 3000mg to stop seizures. It is easier to take just one pill in the AM and one in the PM but that's about it. Also very expensive and my insurance would only pay for 50% of it. For me it does work well"

Jimbo · Taken for 1 to 6 months · August 4, 2021

Briviact (brivaracetam) for Epilepsy "I tried briviact for 40 days as an alternative to keppra. Keppra controlled my seizures for the past 2.5 years, but the side effects were disrupting my relationships and career. Briviact seemed tolerable at first, and, it almost seemed like I had more energy. I began to feel emotions that were hidden under the irritability common with keppra. But, after about 30 days, my anxiety level spiked. I could not eat or sleep and lost 10 pounds. It felt like I was on some crazy upper. Unfortunately, I had to stop abruptly and return to keppra. Fortunately, the transition back to keppra only took 2 days. Now, I'm my gloomy self again. I hope you have better luck."

Ifuchi · Taken for 2 to 5 years · May 14, 2022

Briviact (brivaracetam) for Seizures "I was born with epilepsy and my last grand mal was at 5. I'm 55 now and started having petit mals in my 20s but did not know until diagnosed in my late 40s. Tried every med out there & had allergic reactions to everything I tried. Have a vagal nerve stimulator and have been on briviact for 3 years now. I'm up to 125 mg in the am and 100 mg in the pm. I have no problems on it but I honestly am not totally sure if I'm totally seizure free. But I am very happy that I've had no reactions to it at all. Just keep in mind we are all unique in our chemical make up, so of course what works for me may not work for u. Without briviact or zoloft for depression I feel like I've been given over to a reprobate mind. So far I'm feeling human again and I'm extremely grateful. Just find what works for u and do not settle for something that u feel is not right. I hope this is hopeful for someone."

none · Taken for less than 1 month · August 3, 2019

Briviact (brivaracetam) for Seizures "My daughter was on Briviact for a short time. It was a nightmare. She moaned and groaned all night long. After that she was too frightened to sleep. She was exhausted and shaky on her feet. The drug was given as an alternative to Keppra. She is now off of both drugs but still suffers occasional episodes of moaning at night."

Dv · Taken for less than 1 month · December 8, 2019

Briviact (brivaracetam) for Seizures "My son is non-verbal autism with seizure disorder. Started Taking 50 mg twice a day for two weeks , no seizure but he will not get in the car to go to his day program. We are on day three of staying at home. Neurologist wants to try for two more weeks the re-elavuate"

Sucidesixx · Taken for 1 to 2 years · April 12, 2020

Briviact (brivaracetam) for Epilepsy "I've been taken this med since March of 2019 and i get really irritated easily and itchy skin feeling aggressive sometimes but I guess it's working. I take 3 different types of meds for my seizures though. Thank you"