User Reviews for Brivaracetam to treat Epilepsy

Also known as: Briviact

Brivaracetam has an average rating of 5.6 out of 10 from a total of 22 ratings for the treatment of Epilepsy. 45% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 36% reported a negative effect.

Brivaracetam Rating Summary

5.6/10 average rating

Compare all 186 medications used in the treatment of Epilepsy.

Reviews for Brivaracetam

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month March 27, 2021

Briviact (brivaracetam): “BRIVIACT is a strong, quick onset medication. Within a half-hour after my first dose, I could feel its effects, which were nothing like other AEDs I have tried that make me just a little tired. I’m an easy-going person, so imagine my surprise when, shortly after starting BRIVIACT, I became irritable and overly talkative about situations that normally wouldn’t faze me. A few days into therapy, people expressed concern about how I was being affected. An uncomfortable conversation led me to consult my doctor about mood changes, a new need for naps, and a blister that was forming on the inside of my mouth. Upon receiving more medical advice, I ceased taking BRIVIACT immediately. Withdrawing from BRIVIACT was a long, miserable process. At times, I found myself unusually emotional and on the verge of tears. Besides, I had a headache, tinnitus, achy legs, and my feet felt like they were on fire. Feeling out of sorts, I sleep a lot and tried to recover from an alarming experience.”

charlie, · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 8, 2020

Briviact (brivaracetam): “I have read all of the review and have epilepsy myself since the age of 2 years old and I am now at age 50. I have had some bad seizeures and have been revived 7 times and have been in studies, and have taken every prescription known to man kind. It seems like people are forgetting one thing - every med, that will stop or partly stop a seizers is a good med, and will improve the quality of our life, even with bad side effects or no side effects it is a good medication. There is no cause or cures for epilepsy even with surgery it will come back at some time in your life trust me. It will, no matter what Dr's say, thats the cold hard truth”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 4, 2021

Briviact (brivaracetam): “Disabled USMC Veteran with traumatic brain injury, brain tumor, and intractable epilepsy. Briviact had given me 103 days without seizures. No medicine in 20 years has been able to keep me from having a single seizure for this long. Keppra was the last medicine I was on at 3000mg per day and it was horrific. I was a nightmare to my family, my personality was robbed from me on that medicine and it caused awful side effects. I was put ion Briviact 100mg 2X per day after two ER trips within five days of one another for cluster seizure events. I’ve never felt this good on an anticonvulsant and I’ve tried MANY in 2 decades. My personality, appetite, and ability to think clearly have returned. I’m able to live again without fear of dropping multiple times a week as I was having 2 l-4 seizures per week previously. 10/10 would recommend giving this a try.”

Jimbo · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 4, 2021

Briviact (brivaracetam): “I tried briviact for 40 days as an alternative to keppra. Keppra controlled my seizures for the past 2.5 years, but the side effects were disrupting my relationships and career. Briviact seemed tolerable at first, and, it almost seemed like I had more energy. I began to feel emotions that were hidden under the irritability common with keppra. But, after about 30 days, my anxiety level spiked. I could not eat or sleep and lost 10 pounds. It felt like I was on some crazy upper. Unfortunately, I had to stop abruptly and return to keppra. Fortunately, the transition back to keppra only took 2 days. Now, I'm my gloomy self again. I hope you have better luck.”

Rp303 August 6, 2020

Briviact (brivaracetam): “This medication Briviact broke me mentally... I was given it as a newer better option than what I had been on and was told it did not have mood disorders like keppra did I thought great! Less meds! I was phased to a dose of 75mg twice daily over a course of a month, because I am medication resistant (having tried over 10 different types in 10 years). Everything was great until I was on my normal dose (75mg X2)for a week. Then one day snapped. I was crying over everything, angry, tired, suicidal thoughts flooded my head constantly. Panic attacks that got to the point where I collapsed. It feels like my brain is in constant self destruct mode. I had to contact my drs emergency line to know how to stop this medication right away. It has been over a month since stopping. I still don't feel like myself. I still have horrible panic attacks and emotional breakdowns and crazy thoughts. I am working closely with my doctors to get things back to "normal" now.”

Tim August 23, 2020

Briviact (brivaracetam): “Briviact is horrible I side effects of high levels of irritation, moody, angry. This medicine is causing kidney issues. I am going to restroom more than I have in my life. It’s causing inflammation. I am only 39 so I am able to tolerate. I heard it’s a new medicine and my doctor experimented with me. I feel terrible on this med. ”

FloJo · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 12, 2019

Briviact (brivaracetam): “I hope this helps! I started Briviact on November 5th, 2018 and it has worked very well... Went from 3 or 4 a month to FULLY CONTROLLED! I am going to be seizure free for 100 days this week for the first time ever in 21 years. I have the VNS on the lowest setting and had a TL Resection Brain Surgery (2015) both could not stop the seizures... The medication Briviact is very strong but it's the only things that worked. I also take Trileptal 1200 mg but want to cut down on that med, if possible. r/epilepsy is a great resource if you want more info...”

Susie December 31, 2019

Briviact (brivaracetam): “I first started keppra after having a status event that caused me to be placed in a medical induced coma to stop the seizures. Once I started keppra it worked immediately and stopped all seizure activity. However, after being on it for few months the rage and hostility started and wrecked havoc on my family. So, my doctor had me try briviact which again has worked to control the tonic clonic seizures. However, instead of hostility, rage and total apathy I have begun to experiment extreme sadness/depression I just feel really flat and nothing excites me But, because it controls the tonic clonic seizures- free 35 month now, I will stay with briviact unless sadness etc becomes intolerable Overall 6”

Better? · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 13, 2020

Briviact (brivaracetam): “I’ve read about the typical side effects of Briviact. The only effects I seem to have are tiredness/sleepiness during the day and mood swings. For me, the tiredness can be overcome by staying active. Concerning the mood changes....it’s a little unpredictable and can be bad. However, overall Briviact has helped stop my seizures and I like it.”

Patient X · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 21, 2019

Briviact (brivaracetam): “I've been on a number of anti-epileptic medications over the past 15 years. Keppra gave me severe mood swings. Topamax gave me awful brain fog. Depakote didn't control my seizures and gave my son birth defects. My neurologist recently increased my Lamictal dosage because of a seizure event. That on it's own wasn't sufficient so we added Briviact. I haven't noticed any negative side effects. My seizures seem to be controlled. My tremors have completely stopped (which hasn't happened on ANY med in the past). I'm thrilled. I cannot afford this out of pocket. Medical Assistance through the state pays for it after the doctor proves it is necessary.”

Bryan · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 27, 2019

Briviact (brivaracetam): “Transitioned off keppra 3000mg p/d, to 100 Briviact due to all the side effects becoming extreme. After the same horrible adjustment period of 2 months and one gran mal, I think I have hit on the right med!! Time will tell but it's giving me reason to be more optimistic.”

Master TKD · Taken for less than 1 month August 17, 2020

Briviact (brivaracetam): “I have only been on this Briviact 3 days. My ears are ringing so loudly I can't hear anything else. My head just feels like it will implode because of the ringing. I want to crush anything that makes a noise with my bare hands.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 6, 2020

Briviact (brivaracetam): “This medicine Briviact has messed my life. I am super irritated, angry, and in depression all the time, crying for no reason and not to mention the skin itching problems that has started and liver problems. I have turned into a negative person, a monster with this medication. I never knew what depression was is in my life until I started Briviact. I switched to it only because I wasn't getting my periods with sodium divalproex , my seizures were always in control with divalproex. Never had depression and was always in good mood . But this medicine has ruined my life since 2018. I have kept on it because I am in a changing career phase and can't switch to new medicine , but as soon as I am settled with my new job, I am stopping this med. How did it get approved even with the side effect of "irritability" and depression on the bottle? Most medicines say that but don't necessarily cause it. I regret why did I switch.”

Joe · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 3, 2019

Briviact (brivaracetam): “Replaced keppra with this drug. Keppra was giving me severe mood swings. I am taking 100mg 2x a day. Seems to work with no side effects observed yet. With manufacturer discount card about 30.00 month with my insurance. Made by same company as Vimpat, Which I also take.”

Moo · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 3, 2019

Briviact (brivaracetam): “I started this medicine November of 2017. My mood swings are absolutely terrible. I'm always irritated. I feel like the medicine makes it hard for me to focus. I was put on this medicine after having a third brain surgery. I still had seizures for about a year afterwards, then they stopped. I was seizure free from Sept 2018 up until a few weeks ago. I'm now being taken off. My consensus: The drug may be good for some people. However, with people who have medically intractable epilepsy and have tried over 5 drugs such as myself, studies show that there is less than a 1% chance that any other medicines will work either. It was worth a try I suppose, though!”

Ned · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 9, 2021

Briviact (brivaracetam): “I have been on brivact for nearly 3 and half years, alongside vimpat. These two together so far have worked well for me in relation to side effects, and seizure control. I continue to have seizures but my mood is much better, I’m less angry, emotional and aggressive. However, since starting brivact I suffered from severe rash on my legs, feet, hands and arm. It toned down once my body started to adjust to the medication change. I am currently having my dosage increased and the rash once again has flared up. The neurologist had discussed with me potentially changing from tablet form to liquid form, as I may be allergic to the coating of the medication. I also have very blurry vision, memory loss, sometimes confusion and other side effects, but overall it has been the best one far as I have tried approx 10 different types of epilepsy medication that either have changed my personality or given me serious side effects .”

Sucidesixx · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 12, 2020

Briviact (brivaracetam): “I've been taken this med since March of 2019 and i get really irritated easily and itchy skin feeling aggressive sometimes but I guess it's working. I take 3 different types of meds for my seizures though. Thank you”

Joann · Taken for less than 1 month May 12, 2020

Briviact (brivaracetam): “I took Keppra. That along with other meds controlled 10 seizures a day for 2 years. Now I'm on 4 seizure meds and facing brain surgery if the seizures don't stop. I just started taking Briviact and am hopeful to be seizure free for years again. So far so good but there have already been mood swings. It has only been almost a week.”

Rasta Jon · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 14, 2021

Briviact (brivaracetam): “Briviact seems to prevent my seizures but makes me sort feel so negative about life. It's more or less a new version of Keppra regardless of what the hype is from big pharma. Essentially it seems to influence the same srv2 protein and they do not understand how it prevents seizures nor changes your mood so brace for condescending conversations with your doctors who likely won't understand why you don't want to take a medicine that might be helping your epilepsy. I left my last MD because she wanted me to stay on Keppra now I'm with this new doctor who apparently put me on a nearly identical med and gives me grief for not wanting to be on a medicine that makes me feel apathetic about living.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 24, 2019

“I started taking Briviact in 2017. I was so fatigued it took 3 hours before I could get out of bed after a dose.I had memory loss, dizziness, dark thoughts & depression. It was hard work but side effects calmed after a long 6 months. I was over the moon I was seizure free for 2.5 years, then unfortunately I had one this May & Another in August. This is almost the same frequency as without meds for me. So at the moment coming off it is being discussed. It doesn't matter how many seizures you have, they still rule your life! I am pushing for a VNS, tho I feel how many I have, & NHS funding is being held against me.”

Win · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 24, 2021

“Was afraid it wouldn't work, but it worked really well for a while. Just developing resistance to it now. It is similar to Keppra and that med was horrible for me. Briviact has caused none of the issues Keppra did and helped control the seizures more.”

Sally Long · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 19, 2021

Briviact (brivaracetam): “Briviact which has bad side effects, has messed up my 35 yrs old son. He's not the person he was 3 yrs ago. I told Dr I wanted his meds changed. Dr. stopped this, then put him on Keppra which has the same side effects. After a week I told Dr to put him back on Depakene (Valproic Acid) which is generic brand. He had took this years ago with no side effects. I had been telling the Dr that my son was having doing weird stuff. He said you have to deal with it.....Really?? He acted like he didn't even care? Its been 3 weeks he is still not himself...Is anybody else having this problem. This is a night mare for me & my husband.”

Sheila September 2, 2019

Briviact (brivaracetam): “Great for my seizures. The packaging is horrible. It has triple times over the top child safety cap. Can’t open it always have to have my neighbor open the six bottles. Impossible.”

Confused ! · Taken for less than 1 month May 17, 2020

Briviact (brivaracetam): “I just switch back to Briviact and I keep having burning as well as vein pain in my eyes !”

Learn more about Epilepsy